The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

I am returning having not played since 2017

Ravinsild
Ravinsild
✭✭✭✭
I have about 300 champions points, and 6 level 50's, but I am honestly lost. I have no real idea exactly what to do. I'm not in any guilds, I don't really know anyone, but I like the game. Not sure where to start or what to do. I'm subscribed to ESO+ because it's worth it IMO.

Where do I start again?
  • xxthir13enxx
    xxthir13enxx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    source.gif
  • caperb
    caperb
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    First thing you should know is that the game is more broken than ever. We have daily server crashes and login issues, Cyrodiil lag making it almost unplayable and group finder working even less than before.

About the game, a lot has changed in the meantime. Jewellery crafting has been added, combat skills and some mechanics have changed drastically, all the meta sets changed (most of them being locked behind chapters/DLC's), a lot more story content has come out and much more.

On which platform are you playing?
  • Gundug
    Gundug
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think you would need to let us know what sorts of things you are interested in. Do you like solving harder group content? PVP? Crafting? Housing?

If you are interested in the social aspect of the game, you can use the in-game guild finder tool to search for guilds that share the same interests you have and apply to them.
  • Jolipinator
    Jolipinator
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Try a dungeon using the new and improved activity finder.

Visit Cyrodiil and conquer all foes to become Emperor.

Get out while you still can.
    PS5 EU.
  • vibeborn
    vibeborn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you still have uncompleted zone quests, world bosses, delves etc there has been added a zone guide to each zone now to make it easier to see what you are missing

• Shantu
    Shantu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Join a guild or two, be upfront about where you are in the game, and ask some questions.
  • Lady_Linux
    Lady_Linux
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    you wont like it more now than you did then, pretty sure.
    I simply must protest. There are no Penguin avatars for me to use in the forums.

BTW, I use arch too
  • BejaProphet
    BejaProphet
    ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Idinuse
    Idinuse
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I take it it's a good a time as any to return...
    UKJHa8P.gif
    Sed ut perspiciatis unde omnis iste natus error sit voluptatem accusantium dolorem que laudantium, totam rem aperiam, eaque ipsa quae ab illo inventore veritatis et quasi architecto beatae vitae dicta sunt explicabo. Nemo enim ipsam voluptatem quia voluptas sit aspernatur aut odit aut fugit, sed quia consequuntur magni dolores eos qui ratione voluptatem sequi nesciunt. Neque porro quisquam est, qui dolorem ipsum quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non numquam eius modi tempora incidunt ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem. Ut enim ad minima veniam, quis nostrum exercitationem ullam corporis suscipit laboriosam, nisi ut aliquid ex ea commodi consequatur? Quis autem vel eum iure reprehenderit qui in ea voluptate velit esse quam nihil molestiae consequatur, vel illum qui dolorem eum fugiat quo voluptas nulla pariatur?
  • Ragnork
    Ragnork
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    caperb wrote: »
    combat skills and some mechanics have changed drastically, all the meta sets changed

All racial passives re-worked; mostly to the negative. Some just lore breaking e.g. woodelf is no longer sneaky but detects sneak.

Edited by Ragnork on November 20, 2019 5:48PM
  • Casul
    Casul
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Start by getting skyshards because even if the game is running bad you still need them sweet sweet skillpoints.
    PvP needs more love.
  • NBrookus
    NBrookus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Join a social guild or three. There's a new guild finder.

if you like overland content there's a lot of new stuff for you to play.
  • svartorn
    svartorn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just returned after quitting in '17 too.

Cyrodiil and Battlegrounds are nearly unplayable, but I'm enjoying casually going through the old DLCs and Chapters.
  • Kel
    Kel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ravinsild wrote: »
    I have about 300 champions points, and 6 level 50's, but I am honestly lost. I have no real idea exactly what to do. I'm not in any guilds, I don't really know anyone, but I like the game. Not sure where to start or what to do. I'm subscribed to ESO+ because it's worth it IMO.

Where do I start again?

Be interested to hear what you think of all these changes.

Keep us informed, OP.
  • Nordic__Knights
    Nordic__Knights
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    WOWjust wow why now id say turn it back off for an year or so the way the game is today well make you hate eso so do yourself an favor and find something different tell they get an group that knows what their doing in or have fun something most dont do ANYMORE on eso
  • WillhelmBlack
    WillhelmBlack
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Everything is really easy apart from some vet dungeons but a lot of the DLC stories/questing is great. PvP is a no go until you get used to how clunky the combat is now.
    PC EU
  • Ravinsild
    Ravinsild
    ✭✭✭✭
    caperb wrote: »
    First thing you should know is that the game is more broken than ever. We have daily server crashes and login issues, Cyrodiil lag making it almost unplayable and group finder working even less than before.

About the game, a lot has changed in the meantime. Jewellery crafting has been added, combat skills and some mechanics have changed drastically, all the meta sets changed (most of them being locked behind chapters/DLC's), a lot more story content has come out and much more.

On which platform are you playing?

Are you positive? I was here at launch and in beta, and back then it was...really, REALLY broken. It seemed like it had done nothing but improve since that time.

I am playing on the PC. Also Jewelry Crafting is hype! That's exciting! Apparently 2 new classes were also added! That's exciting! (Warden and Necromancer).
  • Ravinsild
    Ravinsild
    ✭✭✭✭
    Gundug wrote: »
    I think you would need to let us know what sorts of things you are interested in. Do you like solving harder group content? PVP? Crafting? Housing?

If you are interested in the social aspect of the game, you can use the in-game guild finder tool to search for guilds that share the same interests you have and apply to them.

Yes. I have 99% of the research completed across weapons and armor. I have maxed crafting professions on each of my 50's probably 2 apiece, including cooking. Alchemy, Woodworking, Blacksmith, Leatherworker, etc...

I love Raiding (Trials?) and 5 man content in other MMOs and I'm usually pushing end game.

I like PvP battlegrounds and I liked the huge roaming middle of the map stuff back when I was regularly playing.

I love housing! I have a mud hut :D
  • Ravinsild
    Ravinsild
    ✭✭✭✭
    Everything is really easy apart from some vet dungeons but a lot of the DLC stories/questing is great. PvP is a no go until you get used to how clunky the combat is now.

Now? Has combat significantly changed since 2017? What happened? Why are the forums on fire? The game was in a really good place before Morrowind (I never played it).

What's going on here!?

I thought this game was on a good trajectory and improving! It was great last time I played!
  • VerboseQuips
    VerboseQuips
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome back, I hope you'll have a great time. Some of the new zones are really beautiful and a joy to explore.

Well, maybe pick up the story where you left it? Have a look at the history of DLCs and chapters, it is usually better to enjoy the story in the chronological order, as you'll empathize more with the NPCs if you have met them before. You can also create a new character from scratch if so you wish (it will also let you enjoy the new prologue from Elsweyr - alas, I don't think the prologue from a given chapter is any more available once you buy the next one). There might also be some kind of comical effect in repetition, if you're into that kind of humor.
    There is a new type of quest marker that allows you to recognize the quests pertaining to the main questline of a zone. (Secondary quests still matter though as they can provide additionnal insight into main quests or general zone context - there is at least one in Vvardenfell you won't want to miss.)
    Don't forget to loot every backpack, urn, piece of furniture or fallen enemy for furnishing plans: either you're into housing and will like knowing them, or you're not and will like the shiny coins they can bring you. :smile:
    Doing your daily writs is still a very efficient way to earn gold and mats.
    Questing and doing dailies will also help you forward on your journéey to CP810. If you like grinding daily stuff, I think there is an almanach in the Undaunted Enclave which describes all available daily quests. Some only unlock after you fulfill other conditions, though.

You could already start researching rings and necklaces traits. Especially the six traits from the items you cannot deconstruct, because they're older than Summerset.

Also, give the new guild finder a try :-) I am sure there are guilds out there that would happily welcome you, and help you get rich or do Dungeons/Trials, if that's your thing. Some commercial guilds might require more effort and investment than before you left, because of the new auction system that has bolstered competition.

You might find the forums a bit caustic. This is due to lasting technical issues ZOS has struggled to fix, and which have become worse lately with in-game events. Concerning events, it might be a bit too late to get an Indrik for you (I don't know exactly how many tickets are still obtainable before the end of the season), so if you're not inclined to spend crowns on them, you might wish to ignore events entirely and focus on playing however you want. You might also have to be patient if server issues persist. Whatever happens, don't let forum mood tarnish your enjoyment of the game if you're having fun. I think forum vehemence is also a sign of passion for the game.

Oh, and there are Dragons, now.

Once again, welcome back. :smile:
    Edited by VerboseQuips on November 20, 2019 8:00PM
    My characters:
    Main and crafter: A Breton magicka templar named Erwann Sorril
    Alt 1: A Bosmer sorcerer named Tuuneleg
    Alt 2: An Imperial dragonknight named Gaius Tullius Hastifer
    Alt 3: An Argonian vampire/nightblade named Observe-le-Xanmeer
    Alt 4: A Nord werewolf/dragonknight named Sigurd Hurlevent
    Alt 5: A Breton sorcerer named Gilian Sorril (he's Erwann's younger brother)
    Alt 6: A Khajiit nightblade named Jolan-dar
    Alt 7: A Nord warden named Sigurmar Hurlevent (he's Sigurd's younger brother)
    Alt 8: An Altmer templar named Oioriel
    Alt 9: An Argonian stamina Warden named Danse-avec-les-Rainettes
    Alt 10: A Redguard templar named Neemokh af-Corelanya
    Alt 11: A Nord stamina sorcerer named Olga Écoute-Vent
    Alt 12: A Breton magicka Warden named Ian Sorril
    Alt 13: A Dunmer magicka necromancer named Ilmoran Dren
    Alt 14: An Orc stamina necromancer named Norgol gro-Borziel
    Alt 15: A Nord magicka necromancer named Thorgen Givresang
    Alt 16: An Imperial magicka dragonknight named Publius Valeirus Hastifer (Just call him "Valerio" - he's Gaius younger troublemaker of a brother)
    Main in NA (For collaborative events): A Breton magicka nightblade named Titouan Sorril (long-lost brother of Erwann and Gilian)
  • CiliPadi
    CiliPadi
    ✭✭✭✭

Where do I start again?

I'd recommend playing another MMO or game since you don't have a lot invested in ESO. The state of the game is broken right now. Just look at the multitude of problems and issues reported in the forums. ZOS can't even run an event without the servers croaking.
  • Ravinsild
    Ravinsild
    ✭✭✭✭
    CiliPadi wrote: »

Where do I start again?

I'd recommend playing another MMO or game since you don't have a lot invested in ESO. The state of the game is broken right now. Just look at the multitude of problems and issues reported in the forums. ZOS can't even run an event without the servers croaking.

I mean I have bought some crown store stuff, level 6 level 50's on all 3 factions, I bought the like founders pack for Beta, I have a house, I also have almost all of the crafting research and crafting classes maxed.

I wouldn't say I don't have much investment...
  • ArenGesus
    ArenGesus
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Now? Has combat significantly changed since 2017? What happened? Why are the forums on fire? The game was in a really good place before Morrowind (I never played it).

What's going on here!?

I thought this game was on a good trajectory and improving! It was great last time I played!

Devs touched things. They were not gentle.
  • Ravinsild
    Ravinsild
    ✭✭✭✭
    ArenGesus wrote: »

What's going on here!?

Did they entirely rework the combat system from the ground up or something?
  • ArenGesus
    ArenGesus
    ✭✭✭✭✭

What's going on here!?

Not yet, but they seem intent to. Racial passives were all changed, which I personally didn't see as too big of a deal. But they then started doing some massive "rebalancing" by setting standards for how much damage class skills should do, then they started swinging the ratio of those standards all over the place. Dot damage exploded, then was dramatically nerfed. Then it kind of rebounded, but who knows because they're nowhere close to finished. It is fatiguing people who have to re-gear with every patch.

They tried to rewrite the group finder from bottom up and instead nuked it from existence. They put on event after event to attract new players, but haven't invested in the game's infrastructure to support them. So their data center looks like Chernobyl, people can't log in, lag/stutter just standing still, logouts from porting with wayshrines, etc. Meanwhile more and more glitz appears on the crown store, which never has a bug or glitch. It seems they're just trying to cycle in new players to unload some $$ for a fancy mount and then get out to make room for a new batch who aren't sick of paying for broken software and services.
  • Odovacar
    Odovacar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    find a guild...they can be posted into zone chats now so travel to major city and give it a minute or two..read description and see if its applicable to you (click to apply). Be social and find some guild members to run dungeons/quests etc. The rest should come back to you...GL!
  • Ravinsild
    Ravinsild
    ✭✭✭✭
    Odovacar wrote: »
    find a guild...they can be posted into zone chats now so travel to major city and give it a minute or two..read description and see if its applicable to you (click to apply). Be social and find some guild members to run dungeons/quests etc. The rest should come back to you...GL!

I found it strange that zone chat was turned off by default, and also that nobody was talking in the capital city zone chat (Deshaan, Mournhold where I was last night).

It was incredibly quiet but I saw people all over the place. I don't know, I didn't get any responses though asking questions haha.
  • tinythinker
    tinythinker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Where do I start again?

First, if you hit M (if you're using keyboard and mouse) you will now get a list of things you have/haven't completed in the zone by opening your map. That's one way to get started.

Also, primary quests for the base game and DLC now get a modified quest marker to make it easier to get (back) and stay on track with those stories.

Between those two things alone you can get objectives to work on.

It's also easier now to find and join a guild that can offer advice and assistance (39 second mark below)...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92UR0kLVT58
    Edited by tinythinker on November 20, 2019 8:17PM
    Experienced, new, returner? Help keep ESO's community strong ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ -- share what you love about the game, offer constructive feedback, and make friends.ʕ·ᴥ·ʔ

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Who are you in Tamriel (whether it's just your character's attitude & style or a full backstory)? - Share your Character's Story! ◔ ⌣ ◔
    (And let us know 🔷What Kind of Roleplayer You Are🔷 - even if that only extends to choosing your race)

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Support Mudcrab Mode for ESO (\/)!_!(\/) - part joke, part serious, all glorious! You butter be ready for this
  • Ravinsild
    Ravinsild
    ✭✭✭✭

What's going on here!?

Not yet, but they seem intent to. Racial passives were all changed, which I personally didn't see as too big of a deal. But they then started doing some massive "rebalancing" by setting standards for how much damage class skills should do, then they started swinging the ratio of those standards all over the place. Dot damage exploded, then was dramatically nerfed. Then it kind of rebounded, but who knows because they're nowhere close to finished. It is fatiguing people who have to re-gear with every patch.

They tried to rewrite the group finder from bottom up and instead nuked it from existence. They put on event after event to attract new players, but haven't invested in the game's infrastructure to support them. So their data center looks like Chernobyl, people can't log in, lag/stutter just standing still, logouts from porting with wayshrines, etc. Meanwhile more and more glitz appears on the crown store, which never has a bug or glitch. It seems they're just trying to cycle in new players to unload some $$ for a fancy mount and then get out to make room for a new batch who aren't sick of paying for broken software and services.

I did notice that! Before Khajiit got +% extra crit and reduced stealth detection on two different racials. Now it's all crammed into one racial and they get bonus HP, Stamina and Magicka. That was kind of neat, felt like a buff?
  • ArenGesus
    ArenGesus
    ✭✭✭✭✭

What's going on here!?

I did notice that! Before Khajiit got +% extra crit and reduced stealth detection on two different racials. Now it's all crammed into one racial and they get bonus HP, Stamina and Magicka. That was kind of neat, felt like a buff?

Yeah, the racial changes weren't bad at all, in my opinion - with some exceptions (cough woodelf cough). Actually I didn't mind most of the other changes either, though I'm not particularly fond of DKs slinging dookie all over the place. It's the rate of change and the scale that is hard to process. Even then, it would have been tolerable to me if it didn't come combined with huge performance issues side by side with times square marketing campaigns that serve only to stress a broken infrastructure further.

Putting the salt aside, here is my honest assessment - wait. Check back from time to time and see how things are going. It's the only reason I'm here, after having not logged in for weeks. If in a year from now the game is still operating, it can only be because they've resolved these performance/stability issues and worked through the majority of the rebalancing. You see what a dumpster fire the forums are - people are fed up and if something doesn't change I don't believe there will be anything to discuss 18 months from now.