Maintenance for the week of May 17:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – May 17, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• Xbox One: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – May 17, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®4: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – May 17, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – May 17, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
The Blackwood Chapter and Update 30 are now available for testing on the PTS! Read the full patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts/

Dungeon Explorer Costume exploit action -- may we get some stats after action is taken?

Dusk_Coven
Dusk_Coven
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭
@ZOS_GinaBruno regarding https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/502195/dungeon-explorer-costume-removal could we get some stats after action is taken? Of course I'm not asking for naming and shaming, but it would be nice to have some numbers like how many accounts received what type of action.
That would go a long way toward community confidence that action is taken against exploiters.
SWTOR reports this sort of statistic, and it is a number that can easily be obtained as a matter of course in taking action against accounts.
Edited by Dusk_Coven on November 16, 2019 6:57PM
  • Dusk_Coven
    Dusk_Coven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Where is your guarantee that people were doing that purposefully? I bought this costume, and I play with S&B majority of the time. More then that, this costume encourages S&B usage because it hides shield which often goes through your head/hands.. Thanks god I didn't went to Cyro in it, or I guess I would be banned. Cool. To be banned because ZOS coders made an error.

    I'm not arguing for or against action. They have already announced that there will be an investigation. See the link provided.
    It's too late now and it's up to whoever's handling the cases.
    I mean, it was apparently turning players invisible with no hitbox in Cyrodiil. How hard is it to tell that's not intended?
    https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/502169/dungeon-explorer-costume

    Sure, easy to tell when you're in-game because you can clearly see what's happening. But I'd be curious what sort of tools they have to discover that. What sort of data is logged and how is it deciphered? I think this is why exploits are hard to confirm after the fact. And if their process is flawed, people are gonna get caught unfairly. Not everyone's streaming their PvP -- unless they are and that's why Cyrodiil is broken.
    Edited by Dusk_Coven on November 16, 2019 10:37PM
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Where is your guarantee that people were doing that purposefully? I bought this costume, and I play with S&B majority of the time. More then that, this costume encourages S&B usage because it hides shield which often goes through your head/hands.. Thanks god I didn't went to Cyro in it, or I guess I would be banned. Cool. To be banned because ZOS coders made an error.

    How do we know it wasn't an innocent error?

    The usual way: they didn't report it to ZOS and they didn't stop doing it. That's what you agreed to do in the TOS and the Code of Conduct.

    I mean, it was apparently turning players invisible with no hitbox in Cyrodiil. How hard is it to tell that's not intended?
    https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/502169/dungeon-explorer-costume

    Very good point. Much of the exploits Zos has banned players over have been slap me in the face obvious something was amiss. If they continue using it and choose to not report odd behavior then Zos has reason to take action.

    To OP. I doubt Zos will report numbers as there really is no point going beyond saying they are taking action or are taking action. We have no way to verify it.
  • x48rph
    x48rph
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There have been cases before where they reported the numbers. iirc, they told us how many way back with the imperial city xp exploit. The real questions that should be answered before bans or what ever are handed out is could a player reasonably notice that something was wrong and did they continue to use it long after it would of been obvious.
  • Dusk_Coven
    Dusk_Coven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    x48rph wrote: »
    There have been cases before where they reported the numbers. iirc, they told us how many way back with the imperial city xp exploit.

    I do believe many other games report numbers. FFXIV even reports counts of actions taken against bots and RMT and people who used RMT. It's the closest they can do to show that justice is being done without naming and shaming.
    Sure, we can't verify it but I'd rather have it as a step in the right direction. And it's not like they can't just keep track while they do it so the overhead cost isn't high.
    Edited by Dusk_Coven on November 16, 2019 9:19PM
  • Gilvoth
    Gilvoth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    even if they do ban people they just un-bann them in a few weeks later.
    atleast that's what they did in the past.
    rest assured, that i did read your response to my feedback comment(s), i always do. and unless i respond back to your comment directly, then i will always stand by my original feedback statement.
  • Dr_Ganknstein
    Dr_Ganknstein
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This explains a lot. I witnessed this happening everytime a player would use a siege weapon I couldn't see his character, just name above him and couldn't target him. Sucks because I was about to get it because it looks good.
    Edited by Dr_Ganknstein on November 16, 2019 9:35PM
  • Dusk_Coven
    Dusk_Coven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Gilvoth wrote: »
    even if they do ban people they just un-bann them in a few weeks later.
    atleast that's what they did in the past.

    That's why I'd like to see both the count and the type of action taken. In SWTOR you can in fact get a permanent ban for exploits and for PvP cheating (or so the devs claim in their summary of action taken). Probably doesn't stop them from getting another account though but at least they're starting from scratch.
    Edited by Dusk_Coven on November 16, 2019 9:55PM
  • Dusk_Coven
    Dusk_Coven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Gilvoth wrote: »
    a State cop once told me

    "not knowing isn't a defense, here's your ticket, have an awesome day"

    Unfortunately it apparently is here, re: 1-berry-Onyx-Indrik and Necromancers-without-Elsweyr
  • Parrot1986
    Parrot1986
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    When do we see the report on the actions ZoS takes on the internal teams who seem to constantly deliver things that break the game?

    They’ve managed to break a crown store costume that’s been in the game before, achievement points UI not working, backpacks showing as empty but with loot, group finder several times, meridian motif and cradle of shadows hoarvers mass spawning and that’s just a few off the top of my head.

    Not saying players exploiting is right or doesn’t deserve action but all of this falls firstly at the feet of ZoS who keep implementing or breaking things which have been in the game before or for years!
    Edited by Parrot1986 on November 17, 2019 9:41AM
  • Cirantille
    Cirantille
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    What is dungeon explorer costume? When I check website of eso it does not show anything o.O
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cirantille wrote: »
    What is dungeon explorer costume? When I check website of eso it does not show anything o.O

    EDIT: @Kittytravel grabbed the splash for it, here:

    Z6Hw5vV.png
    5yfx7qd.jpg?1WQzWY2Y.jpg?1

    The screenshots I took don't really do it justice, it's a pretty cool outfit.
    Edited by starkerealm on November 17, 2019 2:56PM
    Co-Host of The Tenets: a podcast focused on bringing new players up to speed in ESO.
  • yRaven
    yRaven
    ✭✭✭✭
    Someone explain what was the exploit? I'm blind in here
    Jack of all trades. Master of at least one.
    -
    Àrës - Magicka Dragonknight (EP)
    Persephónē - Magicka Warden (EP)
    Athēna - Magicka Templar (EP)
    Hādēs - Magicka Necromancer (EP)
    Hërmës - Runner Troll (EP)
  • Kiralyn2000
    Kiralyn2000
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    yRaven wrote: »
    Someone explain what was the exploit? I'm blind in here
    I mean, it was apparently turning players invisible with no hitbox in Cyrodiil. How hard is it to tell that's not intended?

    And yeah - that's not an "oops! I didn't realize!" situation, like some exploits can be (at least until they repeat it dozens of times.)
    Edited by Kiralyn2000 on November 17, 2019 5:03PM
  • Thorvarg
    Thorvarg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    yRaven wrote: »
    Someone explain what was the exploit? I'm blind in here

    tenor.gif
  • Demra
    Demra
    ✭✭✭
    So what happened? You turn invisible upon wearing that costume with s&b? Is it invisible for everybody including the player using it or just players around?
  • Dusk_Coven
    Dusk_Coven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Now I'm wondering if ZOS should have even announced they are taking action instead of just taking action.
    Two things might be triggered:
    (1) People will find the exploit and use it, believing that ZOS won't be able to find them or they can appeal with some lame excuse later
    (2) People will launder their PvP gains to protect it from possible action. And then will people / guild banks who receive these items or proceeds of sales of these items get caught in the action taken?

    There was a very obvious credit exploit in SWTOR (buy from vendor at 0, sell back to vendor for credits) when certain vendors were bugged after a patch. They quickly did a bandaid fix, and some people were caught and action taken against them, but definitely not all. But because there was a history of not being able to catch everyone, and people using various (successful) tricks to hide credits, apparently a lot of people tried it.

    In any case, that they will take action is a step in the right direction. Every exploit must be addressed and confirmation of action must be provided (even if they couldn't catch everyone).
    When you show that you will take action, people will be less likely to exploit. And when you show that you can catch most of them, people will be less likely to risk using an exploit.
    Edited by Dusk_Coven on November 17, 2019 7:25PM
  • Dusk_Coven
    Dusk_Coven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Parrot1986 wrote: »
    Not saying players exploiting is right or doesn’t deserve action but all of this falls firstly at the feet of ZoS who keep implementing or breaking things which have been in the game before or for years!

    If the government lets you buy a fast car, it's foremost their fault when you are going at autobahn speeds in the city?
  • ZarkingFrued
    ZarkingFrued
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If anyone here thinks people need banned for wearing a costume they just bought in PVP then you're seriously way to triggered. Now 100's of people are about to catch a ban when they have no clue what they did wrong. If I would have been able to find someone to buy crowns for this costume from yesterday I would be catching a ban next week for something I didn't know i did. ZOS this is absurd. PEOPLE WHO SOLO HAVE NO WAY TO KNOW THAT THERE IS A GLITCH OCCURING UNTIL THEY READ IT HERE, AND AT THAT POINT IT IS TO LATE.
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If anyone here thinks people need banned for wearing a costume they just bought in PVP then you're seriously way to triggered. Now 100's of people are about to catch a ban when they have no clue what they did wrong. If I would have been able to find someone to buy crowns for this costume from yesterday I would be catching a ban next week for something I didn't know i did. ZOS this is absurd. PEOPLE WHO SOLO HAVE NO WAY TO KNOW THAT THERE IS A GLITCH OCCURING UNTIL THEY READ IT HERE, AND AT THAT POINT IT IS TO LATE.

    I would suggest the all caps is more a sign of being triggered.

    I am not triggered at all. But I do agree with Zos' statement and that anyone who utilized the exploit in a manner that was clear they knew about it and especially if they did not report it should get banned. It two a specific setup for the exploit to occur according to their report.

    Considering specific gear needed to be equipped along with the costume, according to Zos, it would seem fairly unlikely or an extremely small pool of solo PvP players that would be under review because they did not know about this exploit.

  • khajiitNPC
    khajiitNPC
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @ZarkingFrued you left your caps on bud, but it’s not like they “didn’t know”, the exploit is extremely obvious. When you play the game you agree to report any bugs — your argument is basically: “If the government didn’t allow me to buy this super fast car I wouldn’t have sped”, knowing there’s laws in place to prevent from speeding. The ToS are those laws. Don’t be triggered. Yes it was an example of poor coding, but it happens. It’s your ethical duty to report it. Sorry you’re getting banned that sucks.
  • SmukkeHeks
    SmukkeHeks
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    For how long? A week, months? Years? 😱

    It would answer some of those “what just happened there” situations in Cyrodiil. Not all of them, but some..
  • Dusk_Coven
    Dusk_Coven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    SmukkeHeks wrote: »
    For how long? A week, months? Years? 😱

    It would answer some of those “what just happened there” situations in Cyrodiil. Not all of them, but some..

    Presumably since the particular costume (now no longer available for purchase) was active.
    BUT there's no guarantee other costumes might not have the same glitch. I wouldn't be surprised if the code were reused elsewhere (why reinvent the wheel, after all).
    Edited by Dusk_Coven on November 17, 2019 9:07PM
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dusk_Coven wrote: »
    SmukkeHeks wrote: »
    For how long? A week, months? Years? 😱

    It would answer some of those “what just happened there” situations in Cyrodiil. Not all of them, but some..

    Presumably since the particular costume (now no longer available for purchase) was active.
    BUT there's no guarantee other costumes might not have the same glitch. I wouldn't be surprised if the code were reused elsewhere (why reinvent the wheel, after all).

    The costume's shield concealing effect is unique. So, I'm guessing that's not an issue. I do hope they add the shield concealment to the Treasure Hunter and Traveling Merchant costumes when this gets sorted out, but I suspect the costume's ability to hide the shield will simply be removed.
    Co-Host of The Tenets: a podcast focused on bringing new players up to speed in ESO.
  • Parrot1986
    Parrot1986
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dusk_Coven wrote: »
    Parrot1986 wrote: »
    Not saying players exploiting is right or doesn’t deserve action but all of this falls firstly at the feet of ZoS who keep implementing or breaking things which have been in the game before or for years!

    If the government lets you buy a fast car, it's foremost their fault when you are going at autobahn speeds in the city?

    Think you need to L2A (Learn to Analogy) because that’s not even close to comparable to this. Ofc if you choose to break the law and it’s solely your choice then you should be punished.the car is working as it should do but you’re choosing to break the law.

    ZoS put a defective item in the game, an item that causes people to be invisible essentially, whilst wearing S+B, an item that’s been in the game before and not had these issues. Yes some people exploited it and I’m fine with action being taken, my point is Zos has created the problem and the initial fault/blame sits with them. If they did their job properly we wouldn’t have had any issue.


    Edited by Parrot1986 on November 18, 2019 7:06AM
  • Dusk_Coven
    Dusk_Coven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Parrot1986 wrote: »
    Dusk_Coven wrote: »
    Parrot1986 wrote: »
    Not saying players exploiting is right or doesn’t deserve action but all of this falls firstly at the feet of ZoS who keep implementing or breaking things which have been in the game before or for years!

    If the government lets you buy a fast car, it's foremost their fault when you are going at autobahn speeds in the city?

    Think you need to L2A (Learn to Analogy) because that’s not even close to comparable to this. Ofc if you choose to break the law and it’s solely your choice then you should be punished.the car is working as it should do but you’re choosing to break the law.

    SMH
    Not even worth trying to explain it to you.
Sign In or Register to comment.