The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
We will be performing maintenance for patch 10.0.1 on the PTS on Monday at 10:00AM EDT (14:00 UTC).

Magic AoE DoT

Oakmontowls_ESO
Oakmontowls_ESO
✭✭✭✭✭
I was curious as to how, since the buff on the PTS, twisting path compared to the other AoE DoT skills for Magic characters. I was surprised to find that the highest DPS and the highest Damage per point of Magic spent was from the warden class' skill of Winter's Revenge. Obviously this isn't including Mystic Siphon since it is a free skill that restores magic. If anyone wants to see the math I have posted the data and calculations I did in a google doc.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/16n0CnNNrdh40Mg9vk8J4ozzsXOP567D5
Edited by Oakmontowls_ESO on October 17, 2019 9:00PM
  • Oakmontowls_ESO
    Oakmontowls_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The conditions I used for testing these numbers are also in the document.
  • Austinseph1
    Austinseph1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Also try testing mystic orb if you want to find a rule breaker. It works slightly different but It wasn't balanced with the rest of the dots.
  • WrathOfInnos
    WrathOfInnos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Also try testing mystic orb if you want to find a rule breaker. It works slightly different but It wasn't balanced with the rest of the dots.

Mystic Orb is lower DPS than Winter’s Revenge or Twisting Path now. This leads me to believe its power level is intended.
  • LiquidPony
    LiquidPony
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Twisting Path is the strongest AoE DoT in the game. That totally fits the "class identity" and "power fantasy" of a Nightblade, doncha know.
  • Austinseph1
    Austinseph1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    LiquidPony wrote: »
    Twisting Path is the strongest AoE DoT in the game. That totally fits the "class identity" and "power fantasy" of a Nightblade, doncha know.

Honestly even if the other aoe skills don't do as much damage they should at least lower the 5k cost, thats the main thing that will be painful next patch. The high costs will make many other class aoe's less useful than putting down blockade for the secondary effects and cheaper aoe damage skills. If enemies step outside of your aoe's and you just wasted 10k putting 2 of them down its going to be a not so fun experience. Players who don't follow PTS cycles will be pretty shocked that when they are doing half the damage with an empty resource bar.
  • Oakmontowls_ESO
    Oakmontowls_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    One thing I missed accounting for was wall of elements being buffed by burning procs.
  • MartiniDaniels
    MartiniDaniels
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    One thing I missed accounting for was wall of elements being buffed by burning procs.

And also burning light for spear shards. Yeah, it is passive, but in standard setup with ele weapon spear shards will be only source of burning light. Also for full comparison sake you may look at luminous shards - it has less basic dps then blazing spear, but also less cost and with burning light maybe notably more cost effective.
    Edited by MartiniDaniels on October 17, 2019 8:41AM
  • Oakmontowls_ESO
    Oakmontowls_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Accounting for burning in a dummy situation (only sources of fire are wall and valkyn) with around 50% uptime on burning, doesn't change wall's place in the rankings at all. Using a raid burning uptime of around 100% moves it up a single rank in both adjusted dps (moving it above eruption) and damage Per Magic (moving it above liquid lightning). On a necromancer the adjusted dps rises two ranks to be the second highest dps (just above twisting path) and rises one rank in damage per magic to be above boneyard.
    I haven't gotten the numbers for burning light on blazing spear yet.
    Edited by Oakmontowls_ESO on October 17, 2019 6:18PM
  • Oakmontowls_ESO
    Oakmontowls_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just adjusted for burning light which made blazing spear and luminous shards the top two in damage at 2.8k and 2.5k dps respectively. To put it in perspective, the next highest dps is winter's revenge at 1.6k. At first I thought that, since burning light is single target, the dps wouldn't scale well with multiple targets but, until it is hitting 12 targets (9 for luminous), it is still the undisputed winner. Obviously using any other aedric spear ability will detract from this number but it is still ridiculously high.
    Edited by Oakmontowls_ESO on October 17, 2019 9:04PM
  • MartiniDaniels
    MartiniDaniels
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just adjusted for burning light which made blazing spear and luminous shards the top two in damage at 2.8k and 2.5k dps respectively. To put it in perspective, the next highest dps is winter's revenge at 1.6k. At first I thought that, since burning light is single target, the dps wouldn't scale well with multiple targets but, until it is hitting 12 targets (9 for luminous), it is still the undisputed winner. Obviously using any other aedric spear ability will detract from this number but it is still ridiculously high.

Thanks! great comparison. Looks like devs still have a lot of work to do. Blockade/hail/lightning flood desperately need buffs.
  • Oakmontowls_ESO
    Oakmontowls_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks! great comparison. Looks like devs still have a lot of work to do. Blockade/hail/lightning flood desperately need buffs.

I disagree on unstable wall, it's pretty good in comparison to most of them. Lighting flood, however, is underpreforming. That being said, I would like a buff across the board to bring AoE dps up a bit.

Edit: I forgot to account for the damage of the synergy. In doing that it goes from being one of the worst to being third best.
    Edited by Oakmontowls_ESO on October 20, 2019 5:10PM