Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts

Female perspective on armor/fashion choices

• Seminolegirl1992
    Seminolegirl1992
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd like a selection of all 3 (functional, fashionable, and sexy, allowing me to choose depending on how I feel at any given moment)
    Choice is preferable. Hell, I'd be psyched if we had the option to hide whichever armor slot we pleased (especially shoulders)!

They are the bane of all outfits. Along with hip flaps.

Completely agree
    @Seminolegirl1992 PC/NA CP 2400+ PVE, PVP, RP, Housing: Tel Galen, Fair Winds, Moon Sugar, Grand Psijic, Forsaken, HOTLC, Bastion, Ravenhurst, Gardner, Alinor, Hakkvild's, Gorinir, Kragenhome, Hundings, & more- feel free to come see!
    Former Empress | Swashbuckler Supreme | Godslayer | Gryphon Heart | Immortal Redeemer | Tick Tock Tormentor | Dro-m'athra Destroyer | Dawnbringer
  • svartorn
    svartorn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd like a selection of all 3 (functional, fashionable, and sexy, allowing me to choose depending on how I feel at any given moment)
    Choice is preferable. Hell, I'd be psyched if we had the option to hide whichever armor slot we pleased (especially shoulders)!

They are the bane of all outfits. Along with hip flaps.

Hip flaps ruin *SO MANY* armor sets. Ugh.

They aren't even attached most of the time. They hover off to the sides.
  • max_only
    max_only
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can’t vote but I will say, choice is always better and one thing I wish is that male hairiness had more choice in this game. In real life regional evolution has caused certain groups to be less hairy (Saharan) or more hairy (European).

I’m tired of all my male characters looking like Steve Carell from 40 Year Old Virgin lol
    #FiteForYourRite Bosmer = Stealth
    #OppositeResourceSiphoningAttacks
    || CP 1000+ || PC/NA || GUILDS: LWH; IA; CH; XA
    ""All gods' creatures (you lot) are equal when covered in A1 sauce"" -- Old Bosmeri Wisdom
  • haelene
    haelene
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Choice is very important! I'm not going to advocate for getting rid of a certain style just because I wouldn't use it. That said, personally, I'd like to be able to show off some of the tattoos my characters have and that does require showing skin.

Thing is, I'd also like the males to have more "skimpy" options.
  • ZOS_GregoryV
    Greetings all,

After removing a few posts, we must ask that all posts be kept civil and constructive, as well as on topic. Also be sure to keep all replies within the guidelines of the rules that we have in place. If there may be any questions in regards to the rules, please feel free to review them here.

Thank you for your understanding,
    -Greg-
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site
    Staff Post
  • redgreensunset
    redgreensunset
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Ash_In_My_Sujamma Or maybe, just maybe, women aren't a hivemind but individuals who all have individual tastes, preferences, ideas and opinions. You know, just like blokes. Try treating women as individuals some day.
    php64 wrote: »
    As a female player, I’m sick to the back teeth of unrealistic armors and clothes that have your characters boobs hanging out. You can tell this game is mainly designed for blokes lol.

What, where?!
    ESO has one of the lowest amount of overly sexualised clothes I've seen in a mmo. Even the clothes, which usually are costumes, that is considered "sexy" which I assume stand for revealing in this case, fits the setting. Like Egg-Sister Bias-Cut Casual Wear. That's more or less a bikini for us, but it fits argonians perfectly and is not overly sexy for them. It's what you probably want to wear when you're a humanoid lizard living in swamps and likes to swim. The men wears just as little!

It's one thing I like about ESO. It doesn't look out of place fitting the setting, nor is it overly sexualised and mostly doesn't look that different between a male or a female character. It reminds me of the old days when I played Age of Conan, which had armour that looked the same on both. A short sarong looking kilt? Prepare to show some leg ladies and gentlemen.

Agreed. There are very few skin revealing costumes and even fewer - revealing or not - that a sexualizing. Though I do wish I could put a flat chestplate on my female characters, the "boob plates" in eso are ones that would actually work in armor. And if you're more than a big b-cup you need some kind of chest accommodation anyway if wearing plate armor or that *** hurts.
    Another thing I like about this game is that you can make a flat chested female character where her chest doesn't look ridiculous or absurd, that's rare enough as it is. It's nice to have had some devs had half a clue as to how boobs actually work.

I do have one point of annoyance when it comes to the physical presentation female characters in the game, but that has nothing to do with costumes or armor. It's, why do female Argonians have boobs? They're lizards, they hatch from eggs, no nursing the young hence no need for boobs.
    Though when all else fails, I guess we can blame some meddling Daedric prince or other who thought that made sense.
    I guess there's a more than average risk of this comment derailing this thread entirely, for that I apologize OP.
  • Kiralyn2000
    Kiralyn2000
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I do have one point of annoyance when it comes to the physical presentation female characters in the game, but that has nothing to do with costumes or armor. It's, why do female Argonians have boobs? They're lizards, they hatch from eggs, no nursing the young hence no need for boobs.

Because the game is made by and for humans, so the art department uses the recognized visual cues that say "female" to a human brain, even if it doesn't make sense biologically? (and then the lore writers excuse it by saying "Q did it!" er, I mean, "Daedric princes did it!" o:) )
  • Linaleah
    Linaleah
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Ash_In_My_Sujamma Or maybe, just maybe, women aren't a hivemind but individuals who all have individual tastes, preferences, ideas and opinions. You know, just like blokes. Try treating women as individuals some day.
    php64 wrote: »
    As a female player, I’m sick to the back teeth of unrealistic armors and clothes that have your characters boobs hanging out. You can tell this game is mainly designed for blokes lol.

What, where?!
    ESO has one of the lowest amount of overly sexualised clothes I've seen in a mmo. Even the clothes, which usually are costumes, that is considered "sexy" which I assume stand for revealing in this case, fits the setting. Like Egg-Sister Bias-Cut Casual Wear. That's more or less a bikini for us, but it fits argonians perfectly and is not overly sexy for them. It's what you probably want to wear when you're a humanoid lizard living in swamps and likes to swim. The men wears just as little!

It's one thing I like about ESO. It doesn't look out of place fitting the setting, nor is it overly sexualised and mostly doesn't look that different between a male or a female character. It reminds me of the old days when I played Age of Conan, which had armour that looked the same on both. A short sarong looking kilt? Prepare to show some leg ladies and gentlemen.

Agreed. There are very few skin revealing costumes and even fewer - revealing or not - that a sexualizing. Though I do wish I could put a flat chestplate on my female characters, the "boob plates" in eso are ones that would actually work in armor. And if you're more than a big b-cup you need some kind of chest accommodation anyway if wearing plate armor or that *** hurts.
    Another thing I like about this game is that you can make a flat chested female character where her chest doesn't look ridiculous or absurd, that's rare enough as it is. It's nice to have had some devs had half a clue as to how boobs actually work.

Though when all else fails, I guess we can blame some meddling Daedric prince or other who thought that made sense.
    I guess there's a more than average risk of this comment derailing this thread entirely, for that I apologize OP.

I haven't come up with this theory, but I think its the one that makes the most sense to me. when hist made argonians, they gave them secondary sex characteristics (like boobs) in order to make them look more relatable to other humanoid races and less like wild reptilians. because hist is magic and all that jazz. of course that doesn't at all explain the lamia, since they are NOT creatures of hist as far as I know... but you know... its as good of a theory as "flotation devices) my own argonian ladies tend to come in narrow hip/nonexistent boobs variety, because that way i don't have to fanfiction so much my way into their bodies making sense :P

that said, we do have variety of preferences, which is why I personaly prefer to have as many choices as possible for as many different characters as possible. that way everyone can find something they like :)
    dirty worthless casual.
    Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself. Guard your honor. Let your reputation fall where it will. And outlive the ***
    Lois McMaster Bujold "A Civil Campaign"
  • Tsar_Gekkou
    Tsar_Gekkou
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Because the game is made by and for humans, so the art department uses the recognized visual cues that say "female" to a human brain, even if it doesn't make sense biologically? (and then the lore writers excuse it by saying "Q did it!" er, I mean, "Daedric princes did it!" o:) )

Exactly, we give human properties to animals to help us relate to them more. It's like wondering why the animals in Looney Tunes can talk and walk upright.
    Xbox NA healer main
    vAA HM | vHRC HM | vSO HM | vMoL HM | vHoF HM | vAS+2 | vCR+3 | vBRP | vSS HM | vKA HM | vRG HM |
    Flawless Conqueror | Spirit Slayer | Dro-mA'thra Destroyer | Tick-Tock-Tormentor | Immortal Redeemer | Gryphon Heart | Godslayer | Dawnbringer | Planesbreaker |
  • max_only
    max_only
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Glurin wrote: »
    all my female characters are athletic, because - adventure!

Bingo! You generally don't see fat people in careers where they are near constantly running, fighting, jumping, crawling, climbing, etc. They are going to be a lot more fit than say, the average person sitting behind a computer desk controlling their every thought and action. ;)

Olympic lifters are what people would consider “fat”.
    bakthi wrote: »
    Up front disclaimer: I am Dude.

I was talking to my girlfriend about this the other day. Specifically, character customization option in ESO, how they compare to other games, etc.

It's kind of funny; she's a belly dancer, and tends to prefer more revealing outfits. Though she does love the look of some things in the game, like Olorime, that aren't. But if she played...she's performed in a Sindel costume that she made, if that gives you some idea. By contrast, I usually go for a look more like Brienne in GoT.

So I think there should be armor options for everyone. Though I'm aware of what might happen, and yes, there have been too many games in the past with nothing but metal underwear.

I will say this: body customization seems VERY limited in this game. I can make a tall petite character or a short petite character, and they can have defined muscle tone or not. That's...it. I have very short and very tall friends, many of whom are very active athletically, with a variety of physiques, and you can't really make a character that looks like any of them. I mean, look at this:

https://www.boredpanda.com/athlete-body-types-comparison-howard-schatz/

Why can we only make a few of those people as characters? In some ways, PSO was more flexible. ESO really ties you to some narrow height and physique ranges.

Thank you for that link, I was looking for that for my above answer.

Separately, there are a few people in this thread who didn’t read. Not everything revolves around you: “I’m a guy who play girl characters and I want x” the thread specifically is asking female community members.
    #FiteForYourRite Bosmer = Stealth
    #OppositeResourceSiphoningAttacks
    || CP 1000+ || PC/NA || GUILDS: LWH; IA; CH; XA
    ""All gods' creatures (you lot) are equal when covered in A1 sauce"" -- Old Bosmeri Wisdom
  • Glurin
    Glurin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    max_only wrote: »
    Glurin wrote: »
    all my female characters are athletic, because - adventure!

Bingo! You generally don't see fat people in careers where they are near constantly running, fighting, jumping, crawling, climbing, etc. They are going to be a lot more fit than say, the average person sitting behind a computer desk controlling their every thought and action. ;)

Olympic lifters are what people would consider “fat”.

Olympic lifters are doing just that. Lifting. Lots and lots of picking up heavy things and putting them back down. They're not going for a twenty mile jog every day just to get to work.

Besides, we're speaking in generalities here. One fat guy doesn't make being fat the standard rule.
    Edited by Glurin on October 17, 2019 12:23AM
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster...when you gaze long into the abyss the abyss also gazes into you..."
  • Ash_In_My_Sujamma
    Ash_In_My_Sujamma
    ✭✭✭✭✭

@redgreensunset I believe most women would find the joke I made "ok" or at least understand that it was a joke. However I must remind you that this is a poll and polls generally try to get a general idea of what people think withought beeing impacted by individuality. You know, just like a hivemind.
    Thank you though for beeing offended on behalf of all women by my mediocre forum joke. You gave me a lot to think about.
  • Kiralyn2000
    Kiralyn2000
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    svartorn wrote: »
    I enjoy playing a beautiful character with functional armor. :)

svtCuhX.png

Of course, there's a faction of "armor realists" who would say that's not functional armor because 'omg, shaped boob-plate!' :|
    (also, those shoulderpads would stab you in the head if you raise your arms too high. I had that problem with lots of my WoW characters, but even more so. Plus the bonus of them being flaming shoulders. :D )

Nice look, though. :)

edit: and why is this thread not popping forward when it gets a reply? There are a few on the 17th, but it's still sitting back on Oct 16 on the forum. Odd.
    Edited by Kiralyn2000 on October 17, 2019 6:41PM
  • bakthi
    bakthi
    ✭✭✭
    phermitgb wrote: »
    I will say this: body customization seems VERY limited in this game. I can make a tall petite character or a short petite character, and they can have defined muscle tone or not. That's...it. I have very short and very tall friends, many of whom are very active athletically, with a variety of physiques, and you can't really make a character that looks like any of them. I mean, look at this:

https://www.boredpanda.com/athlete-body-types-comparison-howard-schatz/

Why can we only make a few of those people as characters? In some ways, PSO was more flexible. ESO really ties you to some narrow height and physique ranges.

I only have one question regarding the link. Why is everyone so shiny? They didn't ALL just come off of a workout session, did they? Were they made shiny to, I dunno, highlight muscle tone or something?

Otherwise, it's a very interesting arrangement of body types for athletic people - I just have a hard time getting past the confusingly seemingly unnecessary shininess of them all.
    Haha! I can think of a few possibilities:

- Maybe they did have them all work out a bit first. There is a "pump" effect where you look that much better right after physical activity. Not a bad idea for a shoot like that, though it would play merry hell with hair/makeup, which leads me to...
    - More likely, it was just the photographer's preference (I know a few, and they certainly have ideas), and they were just all oiled up. Obviously not all sports normally do this, so who knows?
    Army of me:
    CP810+: Breton Templar healer, Redguard stamina Warden, Imperial DK tank, Altmer magicka Sorceror, Orc stamina Sorceror/werewolf, Nord Necromancer tank, Khajit TG/DB Nightblade, Bosmer stamina Necromancer, Argonian Warden healer, Dunmer magicka DK, Nord Nightblade tank
    Second account, CP400+: Breton magicka Warden, Nord Nightblade healer/solo vampire, Bosmer stamina Templar/werewolf, Dunmer magicka Necromancer, Orc stamina DK, Argonian Warden tank
  • phermitgb
    phermitgb
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    phermitgb wrote: »
    I only have one question regarding the link. Why is everyone so shiny? They didn't ALL just come off of a workout session, did they? Were they made shiny to, I dunno, highlight muscle tone or something?

Otherwise, it's a very interesting arrangement of body types for athletic people - I just have a hard time getting past the confusingly seemingly unnecessary shininess of them all.

Haha! I can think of a few possibilities:

- Maybe they did have them all work out a bit first. There is a "pump" effect where you look that much better right after physical activity. Not a bad idea for a shoot like that, though it would play merry hell with hair/makeup, which leads me to...
    - More likely, it was just the photographer's preference (I know a few, and they certainly have ideas), and they were just all oiled up. Obviously not all sports normally do this, so who knows?

you might be right, but at a second glance, I may have come up with a slightly different theory that somewhat ironically bears out my initial joke about everyone suddenly coming off of a workout routine. I got the sense, from looking at the lighting of individual characters and the uniform background, that each one of those people may have been photoshopped into a black background, which means each of the individual shots may actually have been cut out from any one of a hundred different workout mags, tv spots, competition photos and whatnot, and then size-scaled to match the relative heights listed

if that's true, then each one of the people pictured may actually have been taken from a picture where they just finished a major workout of some kind, which would possibly explain all the sweaty-shiney.

but you may be right about your idea too - I can certainly see it working
    "There is no correct resolution; It's a test of character."
    James T. Kirk