The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Does everyone use Discord?

Yuffie91
Yuffie91
✭✭✭✭✭
Over the years of playing mmorpg's I have noticed people have increasingly stopped chatting ingame and using programs as Ventrillo and Discord instead. I understand the need to use these programs while raiding..but I can't for the life of me understand why guilds post their events on Discord or just sit there typing. What's wrong with ingame? I myself loathe to use such programs..I like watching tv during my playtime and don't want a bunch of people blabbering away while watching my shows. However as guildchats seem deserted it feels like it's either join Discord or play the game without much social interaction?
  • anitajoneb17_ESO
    anitajoneb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yuffie91 wrote: »
    but I can't for the life of me understand why guilds post their events on Discord or just sit there typing.

I hate Discord myself *but* I can understand the advantages of communicating there instead of ingame.

- A Discord message stays visible for all, even those who aren't connected. An ingame message only reaches the ones that are logged in, and looking at the chat box (and provided it doesn't disappear straight away because of some other people spamming the chat box).
    - Typing/Posting in Discord is much more flexible than ingame, you can post multimedia, links, copy/paste, etc.
    - Vocals are not available on PC ingame, so obviously Discord is a must
    - Discord is a tool you can use while waiting on those loooong loading screens ingame.

I personally prefer TeamSpeak over Discord, but I have to admit that Discord offers much more beyond vocal and replaces a guild forum entirely, and it's free, so I get why they're successful.

I chat a lot ingame but it's always a trade-off. If you chat, you can't really play the game or you may miss a message and sound rude for not answering.
  • bmnoble
    bmnoble
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I have joined a few of my guilds Discord servers, just to see info related to the guild, usually just a heads up for auction listings stuff like that.

I don't use voice chat.

Then again I am in trade guilds, so not too fussed about missing out on the social aspect.

I will type in the in game chat that is about it, I am one of those people who even if I was in voice chat says basically the same amount as you would see me type, which is next to nothing unless someone asks a question or needs help with the game.
  • vibeborn
    vibeborn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Normally I'd use steam chat but I use discord when steam chat isn't cooperating, but only if I need to voice chat. If I need to just write a message to a guild or to another player, I'll just do it in game
  • Titansteele
    Titansteele
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There is no in game facility to post events and accept signups.

We use guildchat in game alot but persistent chat and event planning is where Discord comes into its own (beyond voice)
    Guild Leader of The Twelve Knights, AD PVE, PVP and Trading Guild on the EU Mega Server

"That which does not kill us makes us stronger"
  • Yuffie91
    Yuffie91
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not long ago I was kicked out off a guild because the leader wanted to do a normal random dungeon and asked me to go on Discord..I told him I don't have Discord because I don't like using it and would install it later but didn't see the need to use Discord in Fungal Grotto..was kicked shortly after x.x
  • Titansteele
    Titansteele
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not long ago I was kicked out off a guild because the leader wanted to do a normal random dungeon and asked me to go on Discord..I told him I don't have Discord because I don't like using it and would install it later but didn't see the need to use Discord in Fungal Grotto..was kicked shortly after x.x

The only time we make discord "mandatory" is for trials - people use it in our guild for dungeons because it is a nice social aspect of it when you get to know people.

Guild Leader of The Twelve Knights, AD PVE, PVP and Trading Guild on the EU Mega Server

• Yuffie91
    Yuffie91
    ✭✭✭✭✭

We use guildchat in game alot but persistent chat and event planning is where Discord comes into its own (beyond voice)

Why not just post events on a guild home page so players get a notification that something was posted? About the signups though..maybe zos could make a calender for guild leaders to post events on with an "accept" or "decline button
  • gatekeeper13
    gatekeeper13
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I have a discord account only to see my guild announcements. Find it totally useless, since I find no reason to voice chat in 4-man content and prefer the in-game chatbox.

But its necessary for people who do trials.
    Edited by gatekeeper13 on October 15, 2019 10:51AM
  • Titansteele
    Titansteele
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Why not just post events on a guild home page so players get a notification that something was posted? About the signups though..maybe zos could make a calender for guild leaders to post events on with an "accept" or "decline button

Prior to discord we did that but in a busy guild there was not enough characters available to do it. We run anything from 4 events in a normal week to 6 in a busy week and have tried numerous addons to assist which were good until patch day and they stopped working.

We did ask for guild QOL improvements along these lines a long time ago but they are not sexy like dragons so we are still waiting :)

• anitajoneb17_ESO
    anitajoneb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

That's a point that guilds should (and normally do) advertise / warn about prior to admitting new members. I understand that some guilds require their members to be active on vocals, but that should be mentioned in advance.

• Titansteele
    Titansteele
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The line we use is "If you want to get the most out of the guild please join our Discord server"

We do not force people to join it and people can join our adhoc events and groups organised via in-game chat but you cant signup for our properly organised events without it.

Seems like you just had a bad experience, try someone new.

• anitajoneb17_ESO
    anitajoneb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

There's more to event planning than just "accept" or "decline". There are quite a few raidplanning and event planning tools for gamers and guilds available on the web, and in my opinion, they are all far better than anything ZOS could actually implement ingame, and I don't see investing in such tools by ZOS would be of any added value for us players since external tools already do it better.

There's already an add-on called "Guild events improved" that's meant to allow us to do it ingame, but very few guilds use it, because other tools do it better - including Discord.

I'm talking PC here, I don't know how things look like for console players nor how they like to organize their events. I assume it's also web-based... ?

Edited by anitajoneb17_ESO on October 15, 2019 11:08AM
  • ChunkyCat
    ChunkyCat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    We’re all in Discord right now, talking about you...
  • Yuffie91
    Yuffie91
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I hate to be the person to refer to wow but they actually have a pretty decent ingame calender to post guild events on AND show ingame events that are going on.
  • anitajoneb17_ESO
    anitajoneb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I hate to be the person to refer to wow but they actually have a pretty decent ingame calender to post guild events on AND show ingame events that are going on.

And I hate to be the person to defend Discord but why does it bother you to use Discord ? I can understand people being reluctant to use vocals but for anything else ? What difference does it make ? Looking at messages and events in Discord or the web or ingame is the same, isn't it ?

Also, ZOS has always prioritized immersion and refused to clutter the ingame screen with too much information (that's why we don't have a vanilla minimap although there's actually one coded in the base game). I'd would not appreciate so much to have ZOS events or guild events showing up on my screen while I play. I've never played WoW but I heard that the screen in WoW looks like a 747 plane electronic board... xD

Edited by anitajoneb17_ESO on October 15, 2019 11:25AM
  • Yuffie91
    Yuffie91
    ✭✭✭✭✭

And I hate to be the person to defend Discord but why does it bother you to use Discord ? I can understand people being reluctant to use vocals but for anything else ? What difference does it make ? Looking at messages and events in Discord or the web or ingame is the same, isn't it ?

Not quite sure. I think it's having to alter between 2 different windows and having to open up an extra program
  • xpixelatedtkox
    xpixelatedtkox
    ✭✭✭
    I always have Discord open because I use it to chat with friends, streamers, etc. Using Discord for trials is great in that someone can share mechanics for those doing the trial for the first time. I never use it for 4-man content.

As for the guild, I chat in-game, but posting events and getting members to sign up is easiest through the Discord. We do have a guild website, but I don't think many check it or even know it exists.

One of the cool things about Discord is you can have ESO-related bots. I think Dwemer Automaton posts daily pledges and luxury vendor items. It's a nifty tool. You can set it to a command or set it to post automatically each day.
    PC - NA
    Guild: Vanquish
  • srfrogg23
    srfrogg23
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Over the years of playing mmorpg's I have noticed people have increasingly stopped chatting ingame and using programs as Ventrillo and Discord instead. I understand the need to use these programs while raiding..but I can't for the life of me understand why guilds post their events on Discord or just sit there typing. What's wrong with ingame? I myself loathe to use such programs..I like watching tv during my playtime and don't want a bunch of people blabbering away while watching my shows. However as guildchats seem deserted it feels like it's either join Discord or play the game without much social interaction?

It's nice when doing trials or anything else that requires group coordination. Otherwise, no, I wouldn't use it for general chat. Yeah, it would be like watching a tv show with the phone to my ear.
  • LizziAS
    LizziAS
    ✭✭✭
    I am discordant enough all on my own. No need to use discord too.
    -Signature Removed-

• Cavedog
    Cavedog
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Discord is a data mining service. Try using it while using a proxy server and see what happens.

TeamSpeak is free, lightweight, and much more reliable....and it doesn't run in your task bar 24/7 for some reason, like discord.
  • Donny_Vito
    Donny_Vito
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    On console, you can just voice chat with anyone in your zone, group, or guild via voice channels so the only real purpose of the Discord or Band app is to set up guild runs in advance.
  • anitajoneb17_ESO
    anitajoneb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cavedog wrote: »
    Discord is a data mining service. Try using it while using a proxy server and see what happens.

TeamSpeak is free, lightweight, and much more reliable....and it doesn't run in your task bar 24/7 for some reason, like discord.

I wholeheartedly agree with you. Discord is a horrible bloated spyware. TeamSpeak and Mumble are nice.

But the point (I think) of the thread is Discord vs. ingame, not Discord vs. other vocal chatting software.

Also, as much as I hate it, I must admit that Discord has done what it took to group gamer tools together in one place (written what, vocal chat, message board, forum, friends & groups, event planning, etc... ), making guild forums obsolete (forums were / are a big burden for GMs to build up and maintain... ).

Edited by anitajoneb17_ESO on October 15, 2019 12:03PM
  • Grianasteri
    Grianasteri
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I do not agree with the use of Discord. I have been asked or encouraged to use it numerous times across different games, including in ESO.

I simply dont see why, everything can be done IN GAME. Voice chat, tick. Text information, tick - including standing orders or upcoming dates/events etc in the guild info etc. I reject the idea that to play ESO, I require to also be using and accessing a separate system online, I guess thats the major issue I have.

I do recognise as a non user, there may be benefits to which I am unaware.
  • IndianaJames7
    IndianaJames7
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Simple, discord is way better for guild coordination and communication than anything in game. Although it does get annoying when there are so many different external platforms guilds expect you to use. (Discord, teamspeak, eso raidplanner, guilded, guild private websites etc.) I pretty much just use discord and if I miss anything from one of the other sites then.... meh
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Some groups still use TeamSpeak for voice due to it's better sound and while not free is pretty cheap. This is the case with many competitive raiding guilds They still use Discord for text based communication and sharing links and such and some raid leader in those guilds do use it for voice and overflow.
  • barney2525
    barney2525
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    the only time I have ever used the mic in discord was in doing dungeons. And even there, as long as everyone can hear the leader and follow directions, only the leader needs to actually speak. I have done dungeons where I just listened on speaker and occasionally written a response in Chat.

:#
  • Odovacar
    Odovacar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I do. It's a good way to communicate with your guild mates, etc. Plus some hilarious convo comes out of there a lot of the times, lol.
  • rotaugen454
    rotaugen454
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have Discord, Teamspeak, and Mumble just in case a group wants one of those three. Im ready for anything. I would only use for normal FG1 if running with friends that I wanted to talk to about other things while doing the cakewalk. I can’t see any real NEED for it in normal FG1.
    "Get off my lawn!"
  • Royaji
    Royaji
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I simply dont see why, everything can be done IN GAME. Voice chat, tick. Text information, tick - including standing orders or upcoming dates/events etc in the guild info etc. I reject the idea that to play ESO, I require to also be using and accessing a separate system online, I guess thats the major issue I have.

Because in-game tool are either non-existent, insufficent or generally cumbersome.

Voice chat is not an option on PC at all and it's not like in-game voice chat on consoles is known for it's stability and quality. Text information is pretty much a no go. Chat is pointless since it is impossible to use for anything more important than a casual conversation. It doesn't have timestamps (outside of addons), get's wiped on character swap, does not work during loading screens, gets flooded easily unless you take time to setup your tabs which most people don't do. The guild announcement box in theory can be used to share event information and such but the character limit is stingier than Twitter and you can't even thread posts. No pictures or any kind of automatic (or even just easy to manage) sign-up system as well. Mass mails are a no-go since they are impossible outside of addons and even if you try to use an addon you risk a chance of getting social banned every time you send mails to dozens of people and they also can be generally annoying to your guildies.

So yeah, you can either stuggle with in-game tools or use a much more convenient tool that makes genreal guild management a lot easier. For the price of switching tabs every now and then. For many people it's a no brainer.

• SpacemanSpiff1
    SpacemanSpiff1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Maybe it's just your guild. I've got 2 that have people constantly typing in guild chat. It gets to be so much that I sometimes can't even skim it as it goes by.

Discord is great though. The guilds I'm in use it for voice comms, sharing information, and scheduling events (they also do an in-game mail with news/schedules and announce in guild chat when stuff is starting soon). It really fills in missing gaps for guild coordination.

You don't have to be in a chat channel if you don't want. You can see events and notifications without hearing people chitchat.