The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Anyone else think that the prologue boss fight was challenging?

• TheImperfect
    TheImperfect
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am someone who generally finds combat challenging but found this okay but perhaps this is just in comparison to the recent fights with Elsweyr overworld dragons which I died on continuously.
  • albesca
    albesca
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    zaria wrote: »
    It was harder than average for quests bosses but not an issue as I think you can not fail as San will keep the fight alive so it don't reset.
    This is an good design for strong quest bosses as you can have an boss with decent health so you know you fought an boss, but you can also not wipe over and over.

The fight actually resets when you die, regardless of what Sai Sahan Is doing
    PC EU

Khajiit has no time for you
  • red_emu
    red_emu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Didn't die once on a lvl 6 new char with no CP spent 🤣
    PC - EU:
    Falathren Noctis - AD MagNecro
    Falathren - AD StamSorc
    Falathren Eryndaer - AD StamDen
    Falathren Irimion - AD MagPlar
    Talagan Falathren - AD StamDK
    Falathren Infernis - AD MagDK
    Your-Ex - AD MagBlade
  • regime211
    regime211
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I mean, for the average quester. I never slot self heal or shields for questing because I know things die instantly. However on that particular boss fight I actually died on my first try and I had to use dodgeroll! I was surprised that for once, that a quest required some basic game mechanics knowledge. I'm pretty sure that lots of players who only do questing and never attempted content that requires actual mechanics like block, dodgeroll and heal, struggled there. Those fireballs are veteran content.

Get good.
  • Dusk_Coven
    Dusk_Coven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Dawnblade wrote: »
    Nope - I just AOE'd the trash, then ran in a circle dropping AOE and weaving light attacks, and the dragon fell over dead.

I think this running in a circle thing is what made it too easy. Might be the dragon script or ability to turn fast enough is bugged.
    I deliberately did it on my lamest toon, a level 20 crafter with 2 skills and white gear.
    Edited by Dusk_Coven on October 10, 2019 5:23PM
  • ZeroXFF
    ZeroXFF
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, first I saw 17M HP and thought it's a bit overkill. Then Sai blew the horn, and the dragon came down with half that. At that moment I was like "this is either going to be really fun, or he blows the horn again and the dragon is dead". When the dragon was down to about 30% or so, he flew again, and I was just thinking "oh no, please don't blow that horn, I want to have fun Jesus-beaming him"... He blew the horn, he falls down with 300k HP left and dies with 2-3 Jesus beam casts. -_-

I got cheated out of a minute of very satisfying Jesus-beaming.

Oh, and the adds died basically when the spear shards landed on them... They couldn't even reach me when I wasn't moving. Come to think of it, 3 of the 4 dragonguards died to those kwama... What a bunch of inept noobs. Literally my thoughts when I read that last letter.
  • Number_51
    Number_51
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Did it on a tank, and while there was never a chance of dying, I was apparently doing less damage then Sai. Sai held agro the whole fight unless I used a taunt. Took a while, but not difficult.
  • Cirantille
    Cirantille
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I do questing with my main so it is not very challenging anymore...
  • Tandor
    Tandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    These discussions are meaningless without any indication of a character's level, CPs and gear etc.
  • Tan9oSuccka
    Tan9oSuccka
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    LOL. Absolutely not.
    Of course I like steak. I'm a Nord, aren't I?
    -Berj Stoneheart
  • Jeremy
    Jeremy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nope. It was easy peasy.

The only time I got concerned was when the dragon seemed to have endless health. But then Sai blew his horn and put an end to that.

This game needs a more challenging veteran mode for players who currently find the game too easy. And it's not just experienced high level players who feel that way either. I have a brother I tried to talk into playing this game (a new player) but he quit because he said the landscape monsters were too easy and boring.

• Jhalin
    Jhalin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I had to actually move out of reds because for once a quest boss did more damage than a mudcrab.

It wasn’t a challenge, but I’m glad to know at least it requires a tiny bit more than afk light attacking
  • Kagukan
    Kagukan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I haven't done it yet but I already killed the boss. I am that good!
  • Gythral
    Gythral
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Puzzlenuts wrote: »
    Trying to pick the correct tiles to get into the 1st door with 20 or so people standing on them was the most difficult part of the quest for me

Yep this is very much the case, needs to be instanced so that you can see 'n' do whats needed!
    “Be as a tower, that, firmly set,
    Shakes not its top for any blast that blows!”
    Dante Alighieri, The Divine Comedy
  • Dawnblade
    Dawnblade
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tandor wrote: »
    These discussions are meaningless without any indication of a character's level, CPs and gear etc.

Sometimes - but this fight is typical of a lot of MMO 'story' combat where simple game play can counter fight mechanics without the need for fancy gear or alternate progression systems.

In this case, simply running in a circle to avoid the damage spots while using whatever damage abilities are available to your character (including spamming LA) is enough to beat the boss.
  • Tandor
    Tandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dawnblade wrote: »
    Tandor wrote: »

Sometimes - but this fight is typical of a lot of MMO 'story' combat where simple game play can counter fight mechanics without the need for fancy gear or alternate progression systems.

In this case, simply running in a circle to avoid the damage spots while using whatever damage abilities are available to your character (including spamming LA) is enough to beat the boss.

Maybe, with your knowledge and experience of the game, but that doesn't alter the fact that someone who bought the game last week is going to roll over a boss mob in seconds like someone who has maxed CPs and veteran meta gear. Without clarifying that, posts that simply say "I found it difficult" or "I found it easy" are meaningless.
  • Dusk_Coven
    Dusk_Coven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Jeremy wrote: »
    I have a brother I tried to talk into playing this game (a new player) but he quit because he said the landscape monsters were too easy and boring.

1000 quests (or even 100 or 10) later he'd have just wanted to get things done and move things along.
    The Dragonhold Prologue was made to be potentially a starter quest for a new player and it's always hard to have newb adventurers alongside hero-figures like Sai, and still make the encounter FEEL heroic. This is not a new problem. Fantasy novels and the first RPGs encountered this. Often the hero will overshadow the player's new toon and that's not a good experience. But yet somehow the encounter must still be passable.
    That is the challenge of One Tamriel, which lets people jump into the game at various points of its expansions, rather than lock them behind levelled areas so it takes forever to get to the latest story. Unlike a lot of levelled-area games, we don't have a strictly linear story anymore. The Elsweyr story arc is sufficiently separate from all the stories that went before, same as Murkmire.
    Edited by Dusk_Coven on October 10, 2019 6:03PM
  • ShawnLaRock
    ShawnLaRock
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My EU level 45 mess-of-a-StamDK (made only to get the extra tick for the Summerfall event last year & is strictly used to get event tickets - so they are not skilled or geared properly), got stun blasted off the platform to their death several times. Even though it is by no means comparatively-difficult as other overland content, I got as close to tossing my controller as I have been in a long time. Lol. A breeze on my NA main (690 with no CP allocated).

Edit: add CP info

S.
    Edited by ShawnLaRock on October 10, 2019 6:20PM
  • Dusk_Coven
    Dusk_Coven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Edited by Dusk_Coven on October 10, 2019 6:20PM
  • ShawnLaRock
    ShawnLaRock
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dusk_Coven wrote: »

That character was XBOX EU... and there is an infinite drop off of the sides. Big boom. Flies into air over side. Drops to death. And again. Simple once I knew the mechanic.

S.
  • tallenn
    tallenn
    ✭✭✭
    Not particularly.

But I did find the whole quest to be quite enjoyable! Kudos to the devs on that one!
  • rpa
    rpa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    It was easy with mid lv world drop geared char but I can solo dolmen or fake tank WB (killing is bit too slow) with that one.
  • Aurie
    Aurie
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    red_emu wrote: »
    Didn't die once on a lvl 6 new char with no CP spent 🤣

Clever you.

• AndyMac
    AndyMac
    ✭✭✭✭
    Lol - I picked up a pledge group during the quest - just outside the lair door - when I finished the dungeon I got dumped back to Eastmarch.

I couldn’t find how to get back to the lair - so I abandoned the quest hoping I’d have a way to restart.

But nope - can’t find one. So I’ve got no idea what the fight is like lol.

At least I’ve got a dragon banner. :)
    Andymac - Magicka DK - EP Grand Overlord - Flawless Conqueror
  • Jhalin
    Jhalin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Dusk_Coven wrote: »
    Jeremy wrote: »
    I have a brother I tried to talk into playing this game (a new player) but he quit because he said the landscape monsters were too easy and boring.

1000 quests (or even 100 or 10) later he'd have just wanted to get things done and move things along.
    The Dragonhold Prologue was made to be potentially a starter quest for a new player and it's always hard to have newb adventurers alongside hero-figures like Sai, and still make the encounter FEEL heroic. This is not a new problem. Fantasy novels and the first RPGs encountered this. Often the hero will overshadow the player's new toon and that's not a good experience. But yet somehow the encounter must still be passable.
    That is the challenge of One Tamriel, which lets people jump into the game at various points of its expansions, rather than lock them behind levelled areas so it takes forever to get to the latest story. Unlike a lot of levelled-area games, we don't have a strictly linear story anymore. The Elsweyr story arc is sufficiently separate from all the stories that went before, same as Murkmire.

Let’s not pretend anyone ever finds overland at all engaging. It’s boring and need to be made harder. The “elite mobs” do 500 dps on a character with no armor and no one can honestly claim that isn’t pathetic
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Heatnix90 wrote: »
    There's no way OP isn't meme-ing. And if you're actually serious...

...Some of y'all would never have gotten past launch-era Doshia

*froths at the mouth*
  • SeaGtGruff
    SeaGtGruff
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It was moderately easy for me, but it also was not a pushover. It took me several minutes due to my preferred fighting style-- no AoEs, no ranged weapons, and no multiple-target attack moves.

The kwama were pretty easy to pick off one by one, and were more annoying than threatening.

But when the fireballs started up, they added an element of danger. I didn't stay still long enough for the fireballs to do me any real damage, but they kept following me around and made it more challenging to pick off the kwama one by one.

While the dragon was on the ground I was directly under him, whacking away with my greatsword, and didn't seem to be in any danger from him. I was surprised by how much his health dropped each time he was grounded by the horn.
    I've fought mudcrabs more fearsome than me!
  • rpa
    rpa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    To add, for some reason compared to most of boss health bar last morsel of final boss health took disproportionally long time to whittle away with my lowbie. Like there is a script preventing it from dying too soon?
  • MLGProPlayer
    MLGProPlayer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not at all. They did this in Elesweyr too with the 2 dragon bosses there by breaking the fights up into phases based on health. If you burn him down too quickly (I did in like 2 seconds), he just stays at 0% until he drops dead at the end of the timer.

He still didn't do any damage, which would be required for a challenge. The fight just took longer than usual because it was artificially extended.

It's certainly better than having the boss dropping dead in 2 seconds, but it's not challenging.
    Edited by MLGProPlayer on October 11, 2019 5:45AM
  • bmnoble
    bmnoble
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Didn't feel any more difficult that the boss fights in the main story quests for Elsweyr zone, only real difference is an NPC blowing the Dragon horn to lower the Dragons health than the player.

It was probably easier if anything without the stupid fire circle around the Dragon.