The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Voice acting :o

• JamieAubrey
    JamieAubrey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    RebornV3x wrote: »
    The worst main voice actor is whomever does King Jorunns voice. Jorunn sounds like a down syndrome American kid trying to fake a Norse accent. Its bad I had to mute him during the Windhelm and Rift quest lines either the actor didn't give a damn or the sound directors gave him bad advice.

the best is probably Naryus or Queen Ayrenns voice actress whomever does Raz and Darien are decent for the men...

HOW DARE YOU

That's John Abruzzi man lol
  • FrancisCrawford
    FrancisCrawford
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    My favorites include but are not limited to:
    • Malcolm MacDowell as Molag Bal, especially at dolmens
    • John Cleese as Cadwell
    • Abnur Tharn (a little more than the other Companions because his character is full of contradictions yet he still sells the role)
    • Bill Nighy as Emeric
    • The humorous tough guy male Orcs (Bolgrul, banker in Stros M'Kai, etc.)
    • Jakarn
    • Naryu
    • Kireth Vaynos -- I like that character more than she really deserves
    • The woman in Darkshade Caverns -- ditto, and a tiny role is made very memorable
    • Rilis -- after Molag Bal, my favorite villainous voiceover, which I'm still not tired of despite many repititions

My unfavorites include but are not limited to:
    • Prominent but mushy-sounding Nord males (Jorunn, Shalidor, the Fighter's Guild guy, the Direfrost Keep guy)
    • Insipid-sounding Breton females (e.g. the officer outside Camlorn who sounds like a scared little girl)
    • The Orc pledge-giver (great dialogue is wasted because she oversells it)
    • Neramo -- it's possible to be that Altmer-arrogant and still be somewhat likeable, but in his case it isn't at all pulled off.
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Keith Szarabajka. Don't @ me.

@vivisectvib16_ESO, Keith Szarabajka has a ******* amazing voice. Dude's awesome.

His voice is in the playable options: Male Orc (H), and Male Argonian (G).
    doomette wrote: »
    The worst main voice actor is whomever does King Jorunns voice. Jorunn sounds like a down syndrome American kid trying to fake a Norse accent...

The actor is Swedish.
    peter-stormare-3.jpg

Awkward :#

My favorite bash on Jorunn was when someone said, "he sounds like the villain from Fargo."
    Edited by starkerealm on October 11, 2019 3:34AM
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    max_only wrote: »
    Female Bosmer not so much, I found Eveli Sharparrow to be very annoying.

Eveli Sharp-Arrow is very annoying. It's her one defining trait.

Eveli's VA is Mary Faber, she also voices the A voice for Female Bosmer and the F voice for Female Bretons/Imperials, if you're feeling sadistic, or want your character to sound like Eveli for some reason.
    Linaleah wrote: »
    like... literally Raz is one of my favorite characters and its at least in part due to his voice acting. its very specific voice actors that bother me and i hope I emphasized it enough now.

Christopher Corey Smith. He's also the voice of Molag Bal in Skyrim. Playable for Khajiit males (C) and Redguards males(F).

Oh, yeah, Raz's VA also voices Merric at-Aswala. I know he voices some Altmer, but I'm not sure which ones.
  • max_only
    max_only
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I want to add that I love the Augur of the Obscure. His entire character was the voice. Some actors look at the character to get a sense of their background and this actor made up an entire personality based on a crystal skull.
    Edited by max_only on October 11, 2019 6:39AM
    #FiteForYourRite Bosmer = Stealth
    #OppositeResourceSiphoningAttacks
    || CP 1000+ || PC/NA || GUILDS: LWH; IA; CH; XA
    ""All gods' creatures (you lot) are equal when covered in A1 sauce"" -- Old Bosmeri Wisdom
  • Yuffie91
    Yuffie91
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I forgot Sheogorath! Also Barbas but the Skyrim one

There is also this quest to put a skeleton back together his name D something..and his voice sounds so familiar but I can'r place it
    Edited by Yuffie91 on October 11, 2019 6:44AM
  • Grianasteri
    Grianasteri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ackadian wrote: »
    So one of my favourite things about this game is the 100% voice acted quests and dialogues,I absolutely love it,I have always been a fan of voice acting.But there's one thing I just can't seem to quite get behind...the guy who voices Neramo,Verandis and Vanus Galerion xD Idk if it's the way he seems to always sound enthusiastic about the weirdest of things or perhaps his accent but everytime I hear him I try my best to keep in character and not burst out laughing.

So my point is....who do ya'll think is the best and worst voice actor in ESO?

Yeah that guy is weird. What I suspect is he read the script without context and a lack of guidance. Perhaps a lack of correct punctuation and emphasis etc, so it sounds stuttering with pauses in the wrong places and enthusiasm etc that doesnt fit with the story progression particularly well.

Compared to Oblivion, where literally every 2nd or 3rd person you spoke to had the same voice, ESO is light years ahead.
  • IndigoMagic
    IndigoMagic
    ✭✭
    My absolute favourite voice actor in this game is JB Blanc, the guy who voiced Elam Drals of the Dark Brotherhood, and other Dark Elf voices. So smooth, sexy AF.

Least favourite - the older Altmer voice actor. Her voice sometimes sounds muffled, and not suited for the character she is portraying. Also a bit too... nice?

Definitely have a lot of love for John Cleese and Bill Nighy!
  • InvictusApollo
    InvictusApollo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yuffie91 wrote: »
    I like the prophet because I'm a big Harry Potter fan..the worst voice actor imo is Wood elves..they annoy me

And I for one love the voices of female Wood Elves and Dunmer. High Five of disagreement! :smiley:
  • LadyHeloise
    LadyHeloise
    ✭✭✭
    My favourite voice is the monastery guard that Raz distracts in Shimmerene - 'Gold AND drinks?' Slaughters me everytime. And the Augur is very cool, as is teh voice of Ashur - I go slightly weak at knees at his voice <3
    PC-EU.
  • Odovacar
    Odovacar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Who did the auger of obscure?
  • vibeborn
    vibeborn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Odovacar wrote: »
    Who did the auger of obscure?

Ben Diskin :)
  • DoonerSeraph
    DoonerSeraph
    ✭✭✭✭
    My best? Whoever voiced Zaan, thats true passion in acting, wonder who did the voice?

Also, that accent is so thick my battle axe couldn't dent it!

KNEEL OR BE CRUSHED!
  • Karmanorway
    Karmanorway
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Last boss in Scalecaller peak, she is amazing
  • Jeremy
    Jeremy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The worst main voice actor is whomever does King Jorunns voice. Jorunn sounds like a down syndrome American kid trying to fake a Norse accent...

The actor is Swedish.
    peter-stormare-3.jpg

And quite accomplished outside of ESO. Jorunn needed better writing, not a different actor imo.

Jorunn is weird because that actor is.... well, weird. He almost always plays psychopaths and deranged villains (if my memory serves he even played Lucifer one time).

He's an interesting actor but just not a good fit for Jorunn. I personally think Brendan Gleeson or someone like that would have been better.
    Edited by Jeremy on October 11, 2019 4:40PM
  • Jeremy
    Jeremy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ruse_Noire wrote: »
    My absolute favourite voice actor in this game is JB Blanc, the guy who voiced Elam Drals of the Dark Brotherhood, and other Dark Elf voices. So smooth, sexy AF.

Least favourite - the older Altmer voice actor. Her voice sometimes sounds muffled, and not suited for the character she is portraying. Also a bit too... nice?

Definitely have a lot of love for John Cleese and Bill Nighy!

I'm a fan of Bill Nighy's work as well. That guy is an amazing character actor.
  • reoskit
    reoskit
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My absolute favorite of late is Sereyne. It's a combo of the writing and voice acting.

(spoilers in the video)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bY1aJt91OqI
  • wanders_the_swamps
    Spindleclutch II final boss, before the encounter .." I don't like this".. gave me the chills first time I heard that dunno why.. Memorable for me
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jeremy wrote: »

The actor is Swedish.
    peter-stormare-3.jpg

And quite accomplished outside of ESO. Jorunn needed better writing, not a different actor imo.

Jorunn is weird because that actor is.... well, weird. He almost always plays psychopaths and deranged villains (if my memory serves he even played Lucifer one time).

He's an interesting actor but just not a good fit for Jorunn. I personally think Brendan Gleeson or someone like that would have been better.

Peter Stormare. Dude's a fantastic actor. Technically he played Satan in Constantine, the distinction is important because Lucifer is a different character in DC comics. That's the same Lucifer played by Tom Ellis in the TV show of the same name, by the way.

I don't agree that he was bad casting for Jorunn, just that Jorunn was criminally underused in the story. The same thing is true for Ayrenn and Emeric. All three are really interesting, distinct, characters, but so much of their backstory was peripherally hinted at in notes and lorebooks, without really having the time to play it up. Going from memory, Jorunn wanted to be a bard, and was thrust into the role of High King, and ended up in conflict with his brother over it. That'd mess up nearly anyone. But, it's never fully examined, so we're left going, "well, Jorunn is a weirdo."
  • StormeReigns
    StormeReigns
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    David Keith...

Oh you mean in ESO... David Keith should be in ESO... that voice... mmm. Just imagining him saying to going a dungeon or a delve...

I maynot be able to hear his sultry voice anymore... but I am still very able to feel that bass rumble deep in my... bones.
  • Drako_Ei
    Drako_Ei
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The best actor hands down is whoever makes the voice of the first boss at fang lair
  • D0PAMINE
    D0PAMINE
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I thought Grundwulf was played very well. I love the VA in this game. Even annoying voices are still very well done.
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    SkerKro wrote: »
    David Keith...

Oh you mean in ESO... David Keith should be in ESO... that voice... mmm. Just imagining him saying to going a dungeon or a delve...

I maynot be able to hear his sultry voice anymore... but I am still very able to feel that bass rumble deep in my... bones.

Was that supposed to be Kieth David?
  • StormeReigns
    StormeReigns
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    SkerKro wrote: »
    David Keith...

Was that supposed to be Kieth David?

Yeah. Fat fingers on phone hates names. Always auto corrects when ya least expect it... like the Spanish inquisition.
  • Jeremy
    Jeremy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

The actor is Swedish.
    peter-stormare-3.jpg

Peter Stormare. Dude's a fantastic actor. Technically he played Satan in Constantine, the distinction is important because Lucifer is a different character in DC comics. That's the same Lucifer played by Tom Ellis in the TV show of the same name, by the way.

I don't agree that he was bad casting for Jorunn, just that Jorunn was criminally underused in the story. The same thing is true for Ayrenn and Emeric. All three are really interesting, distinct, characters, but so much of their backstory was peripherally hinted at in notes and lorebooks, without really having the time to play it up. Going from memory, Jorunn wanted to be a bard, and was thrust into the role of High King, and ended up in conflict with his brother over it. That'd mess up nearly anyone. But, it's never fully examined, so we're left going, "well, Jorunn is a weirdo."

The film's wiki page has him cast as Lucifer Morningstar. So you'll have to take that distinction up with them.

Jorunn doesn't sound like a traumatized bard to me either. He sounds more like a crazy person high on battery acid.

Stormare is a good actor, sure. But his voice (and mannerisms) are better suited for psychopaths and criminals. Casting him as a supposedly diplomatic and wise King just doesn't work. At least not in my opinion, anyway.
    Edited by Jeremy on October 11, 2019 9:37PM
  • krachall
    krachall
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My two favorite in the game, both because of the great voice acting and the writing.

1. Abnur Tharn "Titanborn, it's good to see that lack of education and repeated blows to the head haven't dulled your wit."

I honestly start new characters just to hear that line...and I use it at work quite a bit ;)

2. The female NPC who runs the arena in Blessed Crucible.

She's sounds like female Arnold Schwarzenegger and is so perfectly over-dramatic that I can't stop laughing. "HOW DID YOU WEEEEEN?" It's a shame she gets squashed.

Honorable mention to Goblins...all of them. blablablahdadda
    Edited by krachall on October 11, 2019 11:08PM
  • Vanos444
    Vanos444
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I love the female Altmer, Dunmer and Woodelf voice acting...
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

The actor is Swedish.
    peter-stormare-3.jpg

The film's wiki page has him cast as Lucifer Morningstar. So you'll have to take that distinction up with them.

I was using IMDB. Since that's running off the credits, I kinda suspect the fan written wikia may have some minor errors.
    Jorunn doesn't sound like a traumatized bard to me either. He sounds more like a crazy person high on battery acid.

I mean, you're not wrong. But that is a hilarious image.
    Stormare is a good actor, sure. But his voice (and mannerisms) are better suited for psychopaths and criminals. Casting him as a supposedly diplomatic and wise King just doesn't work. At least not in my opinion, anyway.

My favorite was probably him voicing Hugin or Munin (I forget which) in The Secret World. But, I mean, literally, one of a pair of *** ravens that spouted riddles at people.
  • Ratzkifal
    Ratzkifal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The first one that comes to mind when I think about bad voice acting are Sud-Hareem (AT'AVAR! WHERE ARE YOU! HELP ME GET THIS CACOON OPAN!) and Clivia Tharn (THE SCROLL IS MINE! KILL THEM ALL! YOU UNDERESTIMATE ME WRETCH!)

My favorite voice acting is probably Abnur, but there are a lot of good voice actors around in the game. My favorite single sound clip is probably the death scream of that Necromancer woman in Fanglair (first boss).
    This Bosmer was tortured to death. There is nothing left to be done.
  • Jeremy
    Jeremy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

The actor is Swedish.
    peter-stormare-3.jpg

I was using IMDB. Since that's running off the credits, I kinda suspect the fan written wikia may have some minor errors.

I mean, you're not wrong. But that is a hilarious image.

My favorite was probably him voicing Hugin or Munin (I forget which) in The Secret World. But, I mean, literally, one of a pair of *** ravens that spouted riddles at people.

I haven't played Secret World so I missed him on that. I'm not trying to beat up on the actor because honestly I usually like his work. This is just one of the few times I didn't.

To comment on the post beneath us, I think Abnur is definitely one of the better voiced characters as well. He does that character perfectly. And yes: that death scream on the first boss in Fang Lair is great. Probably one of the most epic death screams in all of video game history. lol

Sometimes I do that dungeon just so I can hear her die.
    Edited by Jeremy on October 12, 2019 2:49AM