Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – September 30, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 10:00AM EDT (14:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
The PlayStation™ Network is currently experiencing a service interruption. Please check here for status updates: https://status.playstation.com/en-us/

For a purely academic exercise, about afk dolmen farming:

ZonasArch
ZonasArch
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭
Considerations: absolutely no cheats, bots, macros, auto clickers, anything like that. Clean as it gets.

Question one, is it ok per ToS?
And two, how do you feel about it, within the constraints of not breaking any rules?

Update: the lighting AoE puts a health recovery suppression debuff of a significant amount (over 60%).
Edited by ZonasArch on October 6, 2019 10:38AM
  • Dusk_Coven
    Dusk_Coven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Is your non-combat pet out? Is your assistant out?
    Are you attracting the lightning AOEs in inconvenient places? (like blocking the ramp up to the Goat's Head dolmen)
    Are there enough people to easily carry your sorry ass or are they actually having to fight seriously?
    Edited by Dusk_Coven on October 6, 2019 8:57AM
  • ZonasArch
    ZonasArch
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Dusk_Coven wrote: »
    Is your non-combat pet out? Is your assistant out?
    Are you attracting the lightning AOEs in inconvenient places? (like blocking the ramp up to the Goat's Head dolmen)
    Are there enough people to easily carry your sorry ass or are they actually having to fight seriously?

In this situation, I'm thinking alikr, in a way that being carried wouldn't be an issue, no one even fights on alikr, it's just basic attacks fest. No pets, no anything out, completely passive and afk.

Does this even attract the lightning thingy?

In time, one person's AOE lighting doesn't hurt anyone standing in it. I've checked that before.
    Edited by ZonasArch on October 6, 2019 9:02AM
  • Dusk_Coven
    Dusk_Coven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    ZonasArch wrote: »

Anyone standing still long enough is the trigger for a lightning aoe being on them.

If it's so busy that your connection is lagging and you really can't get a hit in, then some people really have no choice except to get hit by lightning (or go do something else to grind xp). That's the excuse I hear from people who are not bots.
    Edited by Dusk_Coven on October 6, 2019 9:03AM
  • ZonasArch
    ZonasArch
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Dusk_Coven wrote: »

Anyone standing still long enough is the trigger for a lightning aoe being on them.

If it's so busy that your connection is lagging and you really can't get a hit in, then some people really have no choice except to get hit by lightning (or go do something else to grind xp). That's the excuse I hear from people who are not bots.

I get down to a stupid single digit fps... Hehe my main worry is just moving because I can't hit anything. By the time it loads and I take aim, mobs are dead, but if I stay put, I die.
  • bmnoble
    bmnoble
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    You would probably get logged out of the server if you stayed AFK for too long.

Those that use the various cheats do so to prevent their character being killed by the lightning AOE and being kicked back to log in screen.

To me its a waste of time, especially if your leveling, your pointlessly dragging out the process, the point of the Alikir dolmen grind is hitting one dolmen after the other endlessly getting a constant amount of XP.

Staying AFK at one dolmen your only getting 1 third the amount of XP, of an already slow means to grind.

That and you need to actually hit something to get XP from the dolmens, you will get some xp from being in a group but most groups will kick someone who is obviously staying AFK in favor of someone actively trying to clear the dolmens.

If you are higher level/looking to put in minimum effort and just farming for jewelry, just follow the groups, hit one thing then wait for the group to clear the dolmen collect your loot from the chest and ride to the next, repeat, till your inventory if full or you get bored. All the while watching TV or Netflix etc.. to pass the time.
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Question one, is it ok per ToS?

Technically, being AFK is fine, by itself. However, you will get logged out if you're AFK for an extended period of time.
    And two, how do you feel about it, within the constraints of not breaking any rules?

You can't. You can be away from your keyboard. It's not like you need to log out if you're going to go get a drink or use the restroom. But, you cannot automate functions in game. This includes "rubber banding" your controller.

The specific prohibition is just a blanket, "you can't do this," with a few specific examples. Not a comprehensive list of things you can't do, with some potential options left.
  • UntilValhalla13
    UntilValhalla13
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Why play the game at all then, honestly?
  • ZonasArch
    ZonasArch
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

How does your reply relate to any of the points of the post? Please refrain from derailing. Thanks.
  • Partomax
    Partomax
    ✭✭✭
    The only level grinding I ever did was skyreach and some specific overworld locations. I leveled about 2-3 characters in just a day each which seems good and desirable but they were lacking skyshards, skillpoints(quests), mages/fighter's guild, undaunted even fully leveled skill lines. But at that point I had already lost motivation on that character.

On the other hand, my main character I leveled carefully. I got Cadwell's gold with it and went zone by zone doing every delve and public dungeon. Took me about a week to get to level 50 and once I did my character was essentially ready to go.

That's how I feel about grinding in general, I used to do it every single time until I tried not doing it and it was much better. Your level 50 is a lie if you grind, you're not actually a max level character. CP grinding is a completely different story, personally I just did my enlightenment but if you want to grind that then I understand since there are some dumb requirements for some endgame groups.

As for ToS, it's very unlikely it goes against it since you're literally doing nothing, unless there's some glitch involved.
    PC/EU - This is a signature
  • Ysbriel
    Ysbriel
    ✭✭✭✭✭

How does your reply relate to any of the points of the post? Please refrain from derailing. Thanks.

It does actually pertain to the post since AFK means you are currently not playing the game since i yet to see any content that requires you to stand by in an area for longer or close to the time it takes the system to log you out due to inactivity, when the developers established this control for a reason that may have been with the same question in mind, why would somebody would be on the game inactive for extended periods of time when there is no content that requires it. so his question therefore does not derail from the topic at hand.

You also asked who do we feel about it so he also might be expressing his feelings on the idea which also does not derail from the topic.

In the same line i also have the same question and feeling about being able to bypass established controls while exploiting content in an unintended way to complete any content or develop any character.
  • ZonasArch
    ZonasArch
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Ysbriel wrote: »

It does actually pertain to the post since AFK means you are currently not playing the game since i yet to see any content that requires you to stand by in an area for longer or close to the time it takes the system to log you out due to inactivity, when the developers established this control for a reason that may have been with the same question in mind, why would somebody would be on the game inactive for extended periods of time when there is no content that requires it. so his question therefore does not derail from the topic at hand.

You also asked who do we feel about it so he also might be expressing his feelings on the idea which also does not derail from the topic.

In the same line i also have the same question and feeling about being able to bypass established controls while exploiting content in an unintended way to complete any content or develop any character.

Oh, I see. Interesting. I'll say this though... There's a mechanic that suppresses health regen, in order for you to die. If I'm smarter than the devs and I figure out how to not die, even with that, then that's my problem, right? It's not exploiting, since I wouldn't be doing, like clearly stated, anything questionable. Merely a combination of sets, food, boons and CP.

This is, to me, the same logic as adapting to nerfs. There's always something else that can be done. Always.

Good thing this is all theory here though, as I level up by doing dungeons and BG, one of each random, everyday. Quick and easy.
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is, to me, the same logic as adapting to nerfs. There's always something else that can be done. Always.

No.

When you're told, "don't use exploits," or, "don't cheat," you're not expected to flaunt them. Don't use exploits. Don't cheat. "Don't set up automation tools to allow you to AFK." That's the rule.

This isn't like a nerf, where something was changed, and you should adapt to deal. This is, "do not do this. It's against the rules."
    Edited by starkerealm on October 6, 2019 12:53PM
  • ZonasArch
    ZonasArch
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

No.

When you're told, "don't use exploits," or, "don't cheat," you're not expected to flaunt them. Don't use exploits. Don't cheat. "Don't set up automation tools to allow you to AFK." That's the rule.

This isn't like a nerf, where something was changed, and you should adapt to deal. This is, "do not do this. It's against the rules."

Read again, from the top, the VERY FIRST THING I say.

Now, to your reply...

I think you missed the part where they did change dolmen mechanics to prevent afking so easily... This was, I believe, first quarter 2017. It was a nerf under all possible views. They nerfed the grind.

And I'm not, again for the blind and illiterate, taking about exploit, cheat, or anything even remotely similar. It's a combination of sets, food, and boon. Literally just a build. Crafted sets too, so it's not even that hard to guess.

This change to which in referring to, you seen to be unaware, was not a "this is against rules" and it was a "if you wanna do it, do it, but you'll die." Kinda like jumping off a cliff... Now... If you know how to jump and fall in the water, or bounce off the cliff side to avoid damage, than m then you bested/adapted to the game. ;)

Now you tell me, is a 100k health tank exploiting too? Because they can literally face tank anything without blocking and stay alive... Nah... This is just a build. Same as my proposition.
    Edited by ZonasArch on October 6, 2019 1:41PM
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    After reading through all of this, I do have to laugh.

This game has had bans simply for people figuring out a specific place to stand in dungeons where the boss could not hit them. No cheats, bots, clickers... all clean as fresh snow. That was considered an exploit because it bypassed intended game mechanics.

Thought exercise or not, this is the same thing. It bypasses intended game mechanics.

Also, add me as a "+1" for the comment "Why play the game at all then?"
    Edited by Elsonso on October 6, 2019 1:36PM
    ESO Plus: No
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • ZonasArch
    ZonasArch
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

This game has had bans simply for people figuring out a specific place to stand in dungeons where the boss could not hit them. No cheats, bots, clickers... all clean as fresh snow. That was considered an exploit because it bypassed intended game mechanics.

Thought exercise or not, this is the same thing. It bypasses intended game mechanics.

Interesting. Would you say that a simple survival build could be tested as exploit, in a ban sense? Mind you, this isn't bypassing mechanics, just surviving them. Not even hiding away.

It's also extremely infective, as some have said here, but still interesting as a study. Much like those immortal PvP builds that can't even kill mudcrabs, but work well as proof of concept.
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Interesting. Would you say that a simple survival build could be tested as exploit, in a ban sense? Mind you, this isn't bypassing mechanics, just surviving them. Not even hiding away.

It's also extremely infective, as some have said here, but still interesting as a study. Much like those immortal PvP builds that can't even kill mudcrabs, but work well as proof of concept.

It is one thing to make a build that can passively survive an active Dark Anchor. The lightning won't kill, and if enough people are around, neither will the monsters that drop. You can simply stand at the dolmen all day long, until the inactivity timer gets you. This is not much different than standing at a wayshrine all day, until the inactivity timer logs you out. People do this all the time around dolmens, dragons, and bosses. They tend to back up to stay out of range, though. No fuss, no exploit, no worries.

It is completely different when you benefit from doing that. The problem comes in when more than "simply standing" happens. If you figure out how to bypass, or work around, the AFK timer so that you can stand there all day, for example. If you are getting XP, quest credit, or achievement credit for the Dark Anchor, that is not good. For example, you have a pet out that engages in combat, or you are grouped with active players and getting the benefits of being in the group. Loot probably isn't an issue because you are AFK and are not collecting it, but it you are popping in from time to time to collect your loot, then it becomes one.

As I see it, you can simply stand there all day (within the normal AFK timer), not collecting any in-game benefit from being there, without drawing the Wrath of ZOS. You might be reported, but if you are not gaining anything by being there, ZOS will likely pass over you. Not much point in doing that, other than "because I can".

I might add that any time ZOS takes a peek at you for actions in the game, there is risk involved. You may not be doing anything wrong, but you might look, at quick glance, like you should be grouped with players that are.
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Now you tell me, is a 100k health tank exploiting too? Because they can literally face tank anything without blocking and stay alive... Nah... This is just a build. Same as my proposition.

Point of fact, that 100k health tank wouldn't be able to face tank everything without blocking and live. There are a number of attacks that scale in relation to the target's health. Additionally, there are a number of enemies that can deal north of 100k (before mitigation), and can do so repeatedly, in rapid succession. At that point, with that much health, the Tank would be dependent on their health scaling heals, and couldn't rely on their healer to save them.
  • ZonasArch
    ZonasArch
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

It is one thing to make a build that can passively survive an active Dark Anchor. The lightning won't kill, and if enough people are around, neither will the monsters that drop. You can simply stand at the dolmen all day long, until the inactivity timer gets you. This is not much different than standing at a wayshrine all day, until the inactivity timer logs you out. People do this all the time around dolmens, dragons, and bosses. They tend to back up to stay out of range, though. No fuss, no exploit, no worries.

It is completely different when you benefit from doing that. The problem comes in when more than "simply standing" happens. If you figure out how to bypass, or work around, the AFK timer so that you can stand there all day, for example. If you are getting XP, quest credit, or achievement credit for the Dark Anchor, that is not good. For example, you have a pet out that engages in combat, or you are grouped with active players and getting the benefits of being in the group. Loot probably isn't an issue because you are AFK and are not collecting it, but it you are popping in from time to time to collect your loot, then it becomes one.

As I see it, you can simply stand there all day (within the normal AFK timer), not collecting any in-game benefit from being there, without drawing the Wrath of ZOS. You might be reported, but if you are not gaining anything by being there, ZOS will likely pass over you. Not much point in doing that, other than "because I can".

I might add that any time ZOS takes a peek at you for actions in the game, there is risk involved. You may not be doing anything wrong, but you might look, at quick glance, like you should be grouped with players that are.

I see your points. Make sense. At least with the thought I had in mind, this would still require input to stay logged. But then there's the other thing... Xp itself can be seen as gains, so even if I come back every 5 or 10 minutes to walk a bit, it would still be benefiting while mostly afk. From your argument, I can understand that this could also be exploiting, as I'm not really in the game in this situation, just occupying server time without actually using it properly. The bad work around here would be the "coming back to game" every free minutes for a single input and leaving again.

This happening and being noticed, I don't think someone would get banned, but definitely punished somehow. At least following your argument, which I don't disagree with.
  • ZonasArch
    ZonasArch
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Point of fact, that 100k health tank wouldn't be able to face tank everything without blocking and live. There are a number of attacks that scale in relation to the target's health. Additionally, there are a number of enemies that can deal north of 100k (before mitigation), and can do so repeatedly, in rapid succession. At that point, with that much health, the Tank would be dependent on their health scaling heals, and couldn't rely on their healer to save them.

Interesting observation... This build in particular, 100k health, was on a necro and they have the scythe to heal based on health. One hour KO mechanics aside, this is still pretty absurd when you can survive hundreds of thousands damage before dying.
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting observation... This build in particular, 100k health, was on a necro and they have the scythe to heal based on health. One hour KO mechanics aside, this is still pretty absurd when you can survive hundreds of thousands damage before dying.

Without looking at the build itself, that makes me suspect a large chunk of that health is coming from the ultimate being active. But, "tank is immortal while their ultimate is up," sounds a lot less sexy than, "100k health tank."

Also, saying, the oneshot mechanics don't count, kinda misses the point that there are a lot of one shot mechanics that are, technically, survivable. So, now you're picking and choosing, while trying to say, "this thing is an exploit even though it follows the rules."
  • ZonasArch
    ZonasArch
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Without looking at the build itself, that makes me suspect a large chunk of that health is coming from the ultimate being active. But, "tank is immortal while their ultimate is up," sounds a lot less sexy than, "100k health tank."

Also, saying, the oneshot mechanics don't count, kinda misses the point that there are a lot of one shot mechanics that are, technically, survivable. So, now you're picking and choosing, while trying to say, "this thing is an exploit even though it follows the rules."

I thought 1 shots were designed percentage base, so they would never be survivable. As for the tank build, I believe you are correct, but I honestly can't tell. I know 65-70k build exists without ultimates, but beyond that, I can only think of the bone Daddy ultimate.

Still though... If you can survive one shots, that's even worse. I want saying it doesn't count, I was saying it was already absurd to survive the other mechanics. For example, I've survived over 300k damage with the planar boss in WGT with my healer, but that was over a REALLY long period before I finally died. Absurd that a tank can take the same amount of damage but in a couple seconds or so, and still survive. That's what I meant.

Then again, back to the topic, these extreme cases are what lead to some seemingly random and pointless nerfs. There's always someone having weird ideas and trying them out. For myself, I prefer to talk it over here than to risk it.
  • zaria
    zaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Never heard of anybody gotten banned for stuff like that outside of the Asylum trial exploit.
    That one had lots of aggravating manners like they was selling runs.

For AfK farming, its perfectly fine and designed this way. If you are afk you are still getting XP from group kills and actions.
    I'm pretty sure you can stand so far back from dolmen so you don't get hit by damage from standing stil but still getting xp.
    Think the cutout distance is close to 100 meter.

A fun story, during the anniversary event we did the delve dailies as groups
    One had to go AfK in an typical delve like this one.
    wansalen.jpg
    He stod at the entrance and got quest completed :)

This does not work for all delve dailies as some has specific requirements like eating an flower before attacking the boss.
    But for many it does. And yes he was at the entrance think he went afk while porting to wayshrine inside delve.

Now for dolmens this has one main issue, most pug groups kick AfK players after some time to avoid this to become standard.
    You also need some rubberbanding to keep you logged in over long time.
    Grinding just make you go in circles.
    Asking ZoS for nerfs is as stupid as asking for close air support from the death star.
  • zaria
    zaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

No, its pretty hard to get banned in ESO with some exceptions:
    Running around in while robes and hood setting Redguards on fire is one, spamming chat with adds for gold sellers is another. Both are pretty Darvin award stuff to do.

As for something random players might get an ban for I can think of two cases.
    One was the practice of cooperate with another faction in Cyrodil to swap resources or keeps.
    Second was an time Imperial city gave loads of xp because an bug and people exploited this.
    Both cases was 3 days ban or something.

Getting out of the map, making stealth builds for farming group dungeons for chests and all sort of weird stuff is fine.
    Asking ZoS for nerfs is as stupid as asking for close air support from the death star.
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If ZOS wanted you to farm dolmens afk, they would not have put in a mechanic that kills you if you just stand there in experience range
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    zaria wrote: »

Running around in while robes and hood setting Redguards on fire is one, spamming chat with adds for gold sellers is another. Both are pretty Darvin award stuff to do.

One was the practice of cooperate with another faction in Cyrodil to swap resources or keeps.
    Second was an time Imperial city gave loads of xp because an bug and people exploited this.

Getting out of the map, making stealth builds for farming group dungeons for chests and all sort of weird stuff is fine.

Getting out of the map didn't end well for the Asylum exploiters.

Also, Flying Goblin got banned (reportedly.)

On the other hand, the guild member who threatened to murder another guildie didn't. So, you're not completely off base.
  • zaria
    zaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

On the other hand, the guild member who threatened to murder another guildie didn't. So, you're not completely off base.
    Getting out of the map to farm new trials did not go well, going out of map to ride on the Elsweyr aqueducts is fine.
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    For AfK farming, its perfectly fine and designed this way.

While we don't know for sure, because ZOS does not really talk about it, I strongly suspect that people have been banned for AFK farming at dolmens. This is largely based on having reported said players, and then having never seen them again in the years that have passed.

Statements from ZOS over the years have tended to back up this suspicion.
    You also need some rubberbanding to keep you logged in over long time.

This will get you banned, if you get reported for doing it enough.
    Never heard of anybody gotten banned for stuff like that outside of the Asylum trial exploit.
    That one had lots of aggravating manners like they was selling runs.

Bypassing intended game play.

Edited by Elsonso on October 6, 2019 3:44PM
  • Synnastix
    Synnastix
    ✭✭✭✭
    Not a problem IMO, even with lag. If you’re lagging so bad you can’t get a hit off, slot a ground AoE and just drop it when you can.

Drop AoE > two steps left > AoE etc etc

Places like alikr other peolle will farm it for you so no big deal. If you’re trying to get specific dolmen-related achieves then farm elsewhere. I’ve done a ton of dolmen farming in my day and that’s where I care the least about bots or afk players. Best case you get one that spawns the plague monsters, between that and the lightning it usually takes care of afkers or they die so fast the botters don’t matter.
  • ZonasArch
    ZonasArch
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Wtf... O.o
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I thought 1 shots were designed percentage base, so they would never be survivable. As for the tank build, I believe you are correct, but I honestly can't tell. I know 65-70k build exists without ultimates, but beyond that, I can only think of the bone Daddy ultimate.

Still though... If you can survive one shots, that's even worse. I want saying it doesn't count, I was saying it was already absurd to survive the other mechanics. For example, I've survived over 300k damage with the planar boss in WGT with my healer, but that was over a REALLY long period before I finally died. Absurd that a tank can take the same amount of damage but in a couple seconds or so, and still survive. That's what I meant.

Then again, back to the topic, these extreme cases are what lead to some seemingly random and pointless nerfs. There's always someone having weird ideas and trying them out. For myself, I prefer to talk it over here than to risk it.

It depends on the one shot. Some intended one shots are designed to deal a massive damage spike, which is supposed to be survivable, but technically can be survived with a tanky enough setup.

Planar Inhibitor is misleading, because it displays all damage taken over the duration of the DoT. You can end up with some ridiculous numbers. It's more of an indication of healing received than actual damage mitigated.