The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Mag DK will have no ranged stun- anyone thought that through?

• JumpmanLane
    JumpmanLane
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    chrightt wrote: »
    Davadin wrote: »
    Fossilize.png

the *** u talkin about
    so I'm in PvP vs a Sorc and he spamming away, I can't deflect anything anymore because you nerfed wings, and now I'd have to hit him 5x with Stone Giant to stun him, lol.

ur confusing MagDK and StamDK bruh.

WE, StamDK, got nothin but slinging rock 5 fudgin times to stun.

YOU, MagDK, got a nice, 4k Mag cost Fossilize.

His point is he doesn’t know how to get close to a sorcerer that uses cast time fragments so he can’t fossilize lmao, which actually shows his skill level rather than an issue with mag DK. Worst case scenario you just survive and leap and after that, get good at sticking to the target OP.

Apparently the point is you don't know how to play sorc if you're having any issue fighting Mag DK on live currently. Also apparently the point is that you can't stay far enough away from the least mobile class in the game while playing the most mobile class in the game to prevent him from CC'ing you with a MELEE range CC. Talk about lmao. So say I take your sage advice and use my ultimate as a gap closer to get to the sorc….you know the thing I'm supposed to somehow save for burst because I have none and the thing I'm supposed to save for sustain because the class sustain comes from battle roar to get on top of the most mobile class in the game? So I do this and then what? Start my soon to be pathetic dot stack and watch as the sorc bolts away starting the process over again hoping that he's too stupid to slot any self heals or purge and that I've intimidated him into running away through bluster and bluff? Yeah, that's going to work well.

And for Mag DK's that haven't been running Stone Giant I don't know what to tell you guys. It's and extremely effective long range CC and more than worth a slot on your bar. I'm more upset about losing this skill than the nerfs to our dots. Not to mention the reworked version for stamina is hot garbage and won't be used outside of niche builds so a wasted effort all around....(pausing to slow clap for ZOS). Between this and the removal of Reflective Scale Mag DK has gone from the strongest class VS range to one of the weakest due to all of the built in limitations of the class.

I don't know if you guys actually believe the stuff you write or you're just trying to be contrarians because you're bored.Seriously, the dude is just asking for one of the few tools Mag DK has left to deal with ranged opponents to be left alone and he's right. Stam DK is going to be right there with us and no, I don't care where anything is parsing on a target dummy....doesn't mean squat in pvp.

Most MagDk’s don’t run Stone fist because it shares the same immunity as Fossilize. If you need an in-depth explanation of why Fossilize is important, roll a Templar lmao.

Most sorcs think their burst means they can brawl. They’ll come to you. Keep pressuring them and they’ll run away and reset. Don’t chase. Let them come to you. GAP CLOSER!!! Lol.
    Edited by JumpmanLane on October 1, 2019 2:58PM
  • NBrookus
    NBrookus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Perashim wrote: »
    Zer0_CooL wrote: »
    So.... As a fledgling magDK....

Will Obsidian Shard still work for a spammable or is there another skill I should use?

You can spam it sure, but did you ever take a look at the tooltip? it makes almost no damage.

Any recommendations for a replacement? Currently I use Stone Giant, but since it's about to go stam....

Whip is your primary spammable, Fossilize your primary stun.
  • deepseamk20b14_ESO
    deepseamk20b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not all classes have ranged stuns. NB doesn’t have one either.

Nightblade has a) a working gap closer, and b) cloak to sneak up on enemies.

DK has a chain that doesn't work 80% of the times, and wings that allowed the player to close the gap by feet without taking damage but is now pretty much useless for that use.

Yeah, that’s true, NB has a gap closer but honestly, I personally don’t even use it on my NB anymore. It’s a good skill, don’t get me wrong but I find its just not needed against most classes. If a sorc is going to run away I don’t even waste time trying to chase a sorc anymore because good ones will get away, shield back up and be at 100% HP by the time you get to them no matter what you do, especially if they LoS. They are a waste of time.

As far as cloak though that isn’t going to close the gap anymore than anything else unless you have concealed on the bar to get the speed bonus or dodge roll while on bow bar then cloak and most good sorcs will either streak again away from where you cloaked meaning unless you spam cloak another 2 or 3 times to get to them you’ll burn through magicka real fast. That and mag sorc most likely will break your stealth with curse or they will streak at you stunning you and breaking cloak.

Fact is, too many people want to be able to beat every other build out there when sometimes you have to understand you can’t always be strong against every other build. Sometimes you have to think tactically and know the other person has an advantage and know how to counter it by thinking outside the box. Like I said, no point in chasing a sorc that keeps kiting away because you’re giving them the advantage and playing their game. If the sorc wants to kill you bad enough, get them to follow you in a place where they lose their advantage. One of the best things a magDK can do in that situation is find a tight spot like a or resource tower they can lure the sorc into and diminish their mobility advantage, evening the playing field. If the sorc doesn’t follow, no harm no foul. You may not kill them but at least you don’t die either. Go and find someone else to kill at that point.
    Hey everyone! Look! It's a signature!
  • Perashim
    Perashim
    ✭✭✭
    NBrookus wrote: »

Will Obsidian Shard still work for a spammable or is there another skill I should use?

You can spam it sure, but did you ever take a look at the tooltip? it makes almost no damage.

Any recommendations for a replacement? Currently I use Stone Giant, but since it's about to go stam....

Thanks! I'll need to get to a respec shrine first so I can change lash to whip and stone giant to obsidian shard (at least until I can get fossilize).
    Despair for the Living...
  • NBrookus
    NBrookus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

Thanks! I'll need to get to a respec shrine first so I can change lash to whip and stone giant to obsidian shard (at least until I can get fossilize).

@Perashim If you have Flame Lash, that's the same as Whip. The Flame Lash morph gives you a heal and a more powerful attack (Power Lash) if set up properly, the Molten Whip morph gives you more damage. At your stage, the Power Lash is probably a better call, both learning to manage the proc and since you probably don't have an on-demand heal yet (Dragon Blood).
  • Perashim
    Perashim
    ✭✭✭

@Perashim If you have Flame Lash, that's the same as Whip. The Flame Lash morph gives you a heal and a more powerful attack (Power Lash) if set up properly, the Molten Whip morph gives you more damage. At your stage, the Power Lash is probably a better call, both learning to manage the proc and since you probably don't have an on-demand heal yet (Dragon Blood).

Alright, I'll keep Flame Lash then, at least until I get the hang of procs and pick up Dragon Blood.

Though sometimes I wish some of the DK's skills had a bit more range to them, but I'll get used to it. Having a ton of fun anyways.
    Despair for the Living...