The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Mag DK will have no ranged stun- anyone thought that through?

Crom_CCCXVI
Crom_CCCXVI
✭✭✭✭✭
so I'm in PvP vs a Sorc and he spamming away, I can't deflect anything anymore because you nerfed wings, and now I'd have to hit him 5x with Stone Giant to stun him, lol. Seriously, might just remove that skill all together from PvP... Can't use a Lighting Staff since Shock Reach no longer stuns. So a Sorc is kiting away pelting me, stunning me with Crystal Blast or Ruin Cage from 30m away--- I literally have no chance.

I guess I could chain in since all MagDk's are supposed to be these slow tanky things that put on 5 dots while holding block right? ESO says we have multiple ways to play, but then you keep giving us fewer and fewer options. For the record, I have been playing a light armor, high DPS mag DK with a staff for about 4 years, this might it for the game. The only chance I even have to stun someone is to hit them first, because for the rest of the fight they will probably have CC immunity (like everyone does)- I think we used to use Talons, but oh yeah they got nerfed also, I think that was right after you nerfed Power Lash with "off balance immunity".... What is next? Damage Immunity maybe?
  • JumpmanLane
    JumpmanLane
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Try Escapist Poison IX Lol. Sure it’s only 20% but when it does proc fools think it’s lag or something and don’t break lol. Hilarity ensues.
  • deepseamk20b14_ESO
    deepseamk20b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not all classes have ranged stuns. NB doesn’t have one either. Personally, I’d trade mass hysteria for fossilize any day. It’s one of my my favorite stuns especially since mass hysteria was gutted. Are they changing fossilize btw? My DK will NOT be happy about that.

Not all DK’s are the stand there and block types. Like you said, you play differently than that. Sure, most DK’s are those types and I won’t deny that. Most of the “hold block until leap is ready” style DK’s are pretty bad players. Though it would be foolish to deny DK passives certainly cater towards that style of gameplay.

You can’t win all fights. Simply don’t fight a person that clearly has an advantage. If they have room to kite go behind cover or go into a cave or whatever you can to reduce their mobility or range of mobility. Reassess your build. There are options, you just have to be pliable and open to maybe changing some things. Either way, there will always been a counter to your build and without building specifically to fight that, which would be silly to pigeon hole yourself, you’re probably better off not messing with that person.

So many people seem to have this mentality of “this person isn’t fighting me exactly how I want them to fight me and I don’t have the advantage anymore! This isn’t fair!”
    Hey everyone! Look! It's a signature!
  • Lokey0024
    Lokey0024
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You could use the ardent gap closer that buffs the light attacks lol. Seriously, meme worthy.
    Edited by Lokey0024 on September 28, 2019 5:30PM
  • Gaggin
    Gaggin
    ✭✭✭✭
    Chains synergize well with magdk if range is your issue.
  • OG_Kaveman
    OG_Kaveman
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Doesn't obsidian shard have a stun yet?
  • Lokey0024
    Lokey0024
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gaggin wrote: »
    Chains synergize well with magdk if range is your issue.

It's abysmal for what it's designed for. You dont light attack with melee weapons as a mag class. Now a stun would synergize Stam or Mag, but that would be OP, right? Or stun and offbalance in one click.
  • NBrookus
    NBrookus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    So you stun a sorc at range with stone fist... then what? They CC break in half a second and still have way better mobility than you. You have to find a way to cope with ranged magblades and magsorcs because not every match up is going to be 100% equal. As much as I dearly miss tossing their frag back in their face, DKs have 50% reduction from ranged attacks to help us deal with it. Personally I invest a lot into sprint cost reduction to help with mobility.

Generally speaking, if you are on one of the fat slow classes, you just don't chase the sorc. You will run out of resources trying to catch them way before they do, and then they turn and unload on you.
  • GDOFWR420
    GDOFWR420
    ✭✭✭✭
    Destructive reach will give you a knock back but no stun. Magdk is gonna be in a bad spot come next patch, at least thats how it appears.
  • Calboy
    Calboy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hold on, obsidian shard no longer stuns? I've been so focused on the stupid stamina change I assumed obsidian shard still operated as per normal but with one extra person being healed?
  • robpr
    robpr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Calboy wrote: »
    Hold on, obsidian shard no longer stuns? I've been so focused on the stupid stamina change I assumed obsidian shard still operated as per normal but with one extra person being healed?

Nope.
  • Fur_like_snow
    Fur_like_snow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    mDK on the ropes. Hang in there!
  • Davadin
    Davadin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fossilize.png

the *** u talkin about
    so I'm in PvP vs a Sorc and he spamming away, I can't deflect anything anymore because you nerfed wings, and now I'd have to hit him 5x with Stone Giant to stun him, lol.

ur confusing MagDK and StamDK bruh.

WE, StamDK, got nothin but slinging rock 5 fudgin times to stun.

YOU, MagDK, got a nice, 4k Mag cost Fossilize.
    Edited by Davadin on September 30, 2019 2:48AM
    August Palatine Davadin Bloodstrake - Nord Dragon Knight - PC NA - Gray Host
    Greymoor 6.0.7 PvP : Medium 2H/SnB The Destroyer
    Dragonhold 5.2.11 PvE : Medium DW/2H The Blood Furnace
    March 2021 (too lazy to add CP) PvP: Medium DW/Bow The Stabber
  • chrightt
    chrightt
    ✭✭✭✭
    Davadin wrote: »
    Fossilize.png

the *** u talkin about
    so I'm in PvP vs a Sorc and he spamming away, I can't deflect anything anymore because you nerfed wings, and now I'd have to hit him 5x with Stone Giant to stun him, lol.

His point is he doesn’t know how to get close to a sorcerer that uses cast time fragments so he can’t fossilize lmao, which actually shows his skill level rather than an issue with mag DK. Worst case scenario you just survive and leap and after that, get good at sticking to the target OP.
  • JumpmanLane
    JumpmanLane
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

“Ok StamDK, you’re on the ropes too. You’re on the ropes too.” -@Fengrush
    Edited by JumpmanLane on September 30, 2019 4:53AM
  • robpr
    robpr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Anybody actually used Stonefist for stuns with that cost? Fossilize cost more but is more efficient in this manner.
  • Schattenfluegel
    Schattenfluegel
    ✭✭✭✭
    Could you play the third skill from sword/board to reflect frags (i think they are classified as projectiles)?
    Love my Stamsorc
  • Zer0_CooL
    Zer0_CooL
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not all classes have ranged stuns. NB doesn’t have one either.

Nightblade has a) a working gap closer, and b) cloak to sneak up on enemies.

DK has a chain that doesn't work 80% of the times, and wings that allowed the player to close the gap by feet without taking damage but is now pretty much useless for that use.
  • Commancho
    Commancho
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    chrightt wrote: »
    Fossilize.png

the *** u talkin about

His point is he doesn’t know how to get close to a sorcerer that uses cast time fragments so he can’t fossilize lmao, which actually shows his skill level rather than an issue with mag DK. Worst case scenario you just survive and leap and after that, get good at sticking to the target OP.
    Do you suggest using ultimate as gap closer? Let's be honest. This game was much more fun and balanced before Elswyre. I will quit pvp when this crap goes live. Not because I can't adapt, but simply because it won't be fun anymore. Good luck for folks playing CP campaign xD
    Edited by Commancho on September 30, 2019 8:14AM
  • kpittsniperb14_ESO
    kpittsniperb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    Fossilize.png

the *** u talkin about

Apparently the point is you don't know how to play sorc if you're having any issue fighting Mag DK on live currently. Also apparently the point is that you can't stay far enough away from the least mobile class in the game while playing the most mobile class in the game to prevent him from CC'ing you with a MELEE range CC. Talk about lmao. So say I take your sage advice and use my ultimate as a gap closer to get to the sorc….you know the thing I'm supposed to somehow save for burst because I have none and the thing I'm supposed to save for sustain because the class sustain comes from battle roar to get on top of the most mobile class in the game? So I do this and then what? Start my soon to be pathetic dot stack and watch as the sorc bolts away starting the process over again hoping that he's too stupid to slot any self heals or purge and that I've intimidated him into running away through bluster and bluff? Yeah, that's going to work well.

And for Mag DK's that haven't been running Stone Giant I don't know what to tell you guys. It's and extremely effective long range CC and more than worth a slot on your bar. I'm more upset about losing this skill than the nerfs to our dots. Not to mention the reworked version for stamina is hot garbage and won't be used outside of niche builds so a wasted effort all around....(pausing to slow clap for ZOS). Between this and the removal of Reflective Scale Mag DK has gone from the strongest class VS range to one of the weakest due to all of the built in limitations of the class.

I don't know if you guys actually believe the stuff you write or you're just trying to be contrarians because you're bored.Seriously, the dude is just asking for one of the few tools Mag DK has left to deal with ranged opponents to be left alone and he's right. Stam DK is going to be right there with us and no, I don't care where anything is parsing on a target dummy....doesn't mean squat in pvp.
    Magicka DK-Rowsdowerr
    Tertiary Meat GM
    "they're going to say, there's Daniel and he has 20 people with him, I want to kill him and there's
    40 more behind me."
    "I'm tired of the BS excuses, if you're going to do what you do at least admit what you're doing"
    YEEEEEAAAAAHHHH!!!
  • Solariken
    Solariken
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Uh... Gap closer? Then you're in range for the best CC available.
  • kpittsniperb14_ESO
    kpittsniperb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    Solariken wrote: »

Gap closer only works if your close enough to the target to fire the gap closer which again, assumes that your opponent is just going to stand there and let you get into range. Class closer for Mag DK is buggy and unreliable....not worth slotting which is why you rarely see it used. If they could ever get around to actually fixing chains it would solve some issues to be sure but apparently they can't be bothered to do so.

Stamina has some nice options but rarely has the mag to use the best CC in the game as it is so expensive after being repeatedly nerfed over and over and over. Still possible assuming they only need to use it once to close out the kill. Running a stamina gap closer on a mag class is just overall a bad idea but it can be done. Tougher to do on a class that requires you to invest heavily into mag sustain just to maintain. Given your AvA experience you know all of this already.

Looking at these skills in a vacuum without taking into consideration how they compliment and offset the weaknesses built into a given class is a poor way to balance. I can't believe we're in a place that we actually have to argue about saving Stonefist for Mag DK by debating the finer points of how you might theoretically be able to kill a Sorc if they are dumb enough to let you do it.

Edit: The point I'm making here is that I'm using Stone giant on live, buying myself time to close distance....fire a gap closer and get on target to start my rotation overcoming the above limitations. Taking that tool away from Mag DK is going to gut the class when fighting range. L2P doesn't apply here.
    Edited by kpittsniperb14_ESO on September 30, 2019 4:09PM
    Magicka DK-Rowsdowerr
    Tertiary Meat GM
    "they're going to say, there's Daniel and he has 20 people with him, I want to kill him and there's
    40 more behind me."
    "I'm tired of the BS excuses, if you're going to do what you do at least admit what you're doing"
    YEEEEEAAAAAHHHH!!!
  • Xvorg
    Xvorg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    so I'm in PvP vs a Sorc and he spamming away, I can't deflect anything anymore because you nerfed wings, and now I'd have to hit him 5x with Stone Giant to stun him, lol. Seriously, might just remove that skill all together from PvP... Can't use a Lighting Staff since Shock Reach no longer stuns. So a Sorc is kiting away pelting me, stunning me with Crystal Blast or Ruin Cage from 30m away--- I literally have no chance.

I guess I could chain in since all MagDk's are supposed to be these slow tanky things that put on 5 dots while holding block right? ESO says we have multiple ways to play, but then you keep giving us fewer and fewer options. For the record, I have been playing a light armor, high DPS mag DK with a staff for about 4 years, this might it for the game. The only chance I even have to stun someone is to hit them first, because for the rest of the fight they will probably have CC immunity (like everyone does)- I think we used to use Talons, but oh yeah they got nerfed also, I think that was right after you nerfed Power Lash with "off balance immunity".... What is next? Damage Immunity maybe?

DK won't have any ranged skill... that's even worse.

How will you counter DKs? Just press D.
    Sarcasm is something too serious to be taken lightly

I was born with the wrong sign
    In the wrong house
    With the wrong ascendancy
    I took the wrong road
    That led to the wrong tendencies
    I was in the wrong place at the wrong time
    For the wrong reason and the wrong rhyme
    On the wrong day of the wrong week
    Used the wrong method with the wrong technique
  • Xvorg
    Xvorg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    NBrookus wrote: »
    So you stun a sorc at range with stone fist... then what? They CC break in half a second and still have way better mobility than you. You have to find a way to cope with ranged magblades and magsorcs because not every match up is going to be 100% equal. As much as I dearly miss tossing their frag back in their face, DKs have 50% reduction from ranged attacks to help us deal with it. Personally I invest a lot into sprint cost reduction to help with mobility.

Generally speaking, if you are on one of the fat slow classes, you just don't chase the sorc. You will run out of resources trying to catch them way before they do, and then they turn and unload on you.

Please, stop saying ranged for Talos sake. Wings don't help you with almost 50% of ranged attacks.

Projectiles, that's what we got, PROJECTILES. JB will hit for 100%, same as soul assault, force shock, silver shards (being an AoE cannot be reflected, and DKs are mostly vamps).
    Sarcasm is something too serious to be taken lightly

I was born with the wrong sign
    In the wrong house
    With the wrong ascendancy
    I took the wrong road
    That led to the wrong tendencies
    I was in the wrong place at the wrong time
    For the wrong reason and the wrong rhyme
    On the wrong day of the wrong week
    Used the wrong method with the wrong technique
  • Davadin
    Davadin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fossilize.png

the *** u talkin about

if u can't/won't use chain-pull, 2H or 1HS's gap closer, or Fighter's Guild skill, or don't want to slot Take Flight DK Leap........

.......... bruh, that's just L2P.
    August Palatine Davadin Bloodstrake - Nord Dragon Knight - PC NA - Gray Host
    Greymoor 6.0.7 PvP : Medium 2H/SnB The Destroyer
    Dragonhold 5.2.11 PvE : Medium DW/2H The Blood Furnace
    March 2021 (too lazy to add CP) PvP: Medium DW/Bow The Stabber
  • Perashim
    Perashim
    ✭✭✭
    So.... As a fledgling magDK....

Will Obsidian Shard still work for a spammable or is there another skill I should use?
    Despair for the Living...
  • Zer0_CooL
    Zer0_CooL
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Solariken

The thing with the DKs gapcloser is that a) it's not working 4 of 5 times and b) that the target gets cc imunity after you pulled it. So your suggested tactic wont work even you can pull your target.
  • Zer0_CooL
    Zer0_CooL
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Perashim wrote: »

Will Obsidian Shard still work for a spammable or is there another skill I should use?

You can spam it sure, but did you ever take a look at the tooltip? it makes almost no damage.
  • Perashim
    Perashim
    ✭✭✭
    Zer0_CooL wrote: »

You can spam it sure, but did you ever take a look at the tooltip? it makes almost no damage.

Any recommendations for a replacement? Currently I use Stone Giant, but since it's about to go stam....
    Despair for the Living...
  • Zer0_CooL
    Zer0_CooL
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Any recommendations for a replacement? Currently I use Stone Giant, but since it's about to go stam....

Well i dont think the shard isn't meant to be a damage spamable either, you got the whip for that or one of the weapon skills, depending on your build.
    The shard is a stun with an additional heal. So as a stun its still good, or use fozilise. It's a mater of personal preferation i think.
  • Solariken
    Solariken
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    @Solariken

The thing with the DKs gapcloser is that a) it's not working 4 of 5 times and b) that the target gets cc imunity after you pulled it. So your suggested tactic wont work even you can pull your target.

@Zer0_CooL I was of course referring to the morph that pulls you to the target. It works as well as every other gap closer and it's undodgeable and doesn't CC the target.