The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
The maintenance is complete, and the PTS is now back online and patch 10.0.2 is available.

All Magicka DPS comparisons on 21m (Updated)

Mizaeron
Mizaeron
✭✭✭
I play Magblade, MagDK and Magsorc on live, so other classes might not be as representative. In general sustain is pretty bad, however High Elf with Absorb Magicka seems to do a little bit more than Breton with Berserk even if you have to heavy attack , but I didn't bother changing for some, since PTS lag spikes can be really annoying and ruin many parses. I didn't use bash weaving. If sustain remains unchanged I will for sure run Breton on live.

"Old" dots (Consuming Trap, Degen, Flame Reach, Scalding Rune) will do around 3% dps and in general are not worth using. Aoe Class dots are also not worth using, they will also do around 3% and kill your Magicka very quickly.

I'm sure it's possible to get slightly higher numbers, and I'd be curious to see what other builds people used and DPS they pulled. Anyway here it is:

Magden - 74.4k

Not a lot of options for different builds here in my opinion

wjs8jdc3f1wm.png
q7ea2mxgoogi.png

Magcro - 75.4k

Colossus is not even worth using for individual dps. I got around 3k more with using Shooting Star.

72q0ol2odyr8.png
gc0xuqqwa25d.png

Magblade - 76.1k

I don't think there is any other viable build

nt6qudgho8q8.png
fjivxb7auqp4.png

Magplar - 80k

Also not many options, Vampire's bane will do 3%+- . Could add mystic orb, but it will force some heavy attacks.

g55xnxnm907u.png
yffoxfpmjl42.png
wylcfcvmupbs.png

MagDK - 81.7k

Tried not using Engulfing and Burning Embers and replacing with Mages guild for passives, doesn't seem to be worth, however Eruption and Flames of Oblivion do good damage. Again I don't think there's any flexibility for build

43t2ain6bnbx.png
r0h1u5erb6yl.png

Magsorc - 83k

A lot of flexibility. You can use single pet (Scamp for more aoe, but worse sustain), double pet, can run execute, can run bound aegis instead, can choose not to run mystic orb, can use either arcane or bloodthirsty, all of the builds are close in DPS.

n6fshdin60xb.png
jveaherfn2s1.png

Some thoughts on changes. Engulfing change will ensure mag groups include MagDK, Warden can apply Minor Vulnerability with DPS skill and has Minor Berserk from other skill, this will also make him viable, and Nightblade can apply AOE minor vulnerability, which will also make him more desirable.
Edited by Mizaeron on September 26, 2019 6:48PM
  • ZeroXFF
    ZeroXFF
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    In regards to templar, you have no way of proccing burning light passive aside from the ultimate, and you lose 10% crit damage on back bar because of another passive. Slotting shards on back bar would take care of both.

I don't know if this will outweigh whatever it was you were doing, but in case it's an oversight, it's worth trying out.

EDIT: alternatively slotting the sweep ultimate on back bar and using puncturing sweep as spammable would achieve the same result (don't like using PS in a DPS rotation, so hadn't thought of it right away).
    Edited by ZeroXFF on September 26, 2019 1:31PM
    Options
  • Mizaeron
    Mizaeron
    ✭✭✭
    ZeroXFF wrote: »
    In regards to templar, you have no way of proccing burning light passive aside from the ultimate, and you lose 10% crit damage on back bar because of another passive. Slotting shards on back bar would take care of both.

I don't know if this will outweigh whatever it was you were doing, but in case it's an oversight, it's worth trying out.

EDIT: alternatively slotting the sweep ultimate on back bar and using puncturing sweep as spammable would achieve the same result (don't like using PS in a DPS rotation, so hadn't thought of it right away).

Yes, it does make sense to use Ulti backbar, I will actually try it. Shards cost too much magicka and does too little dps, and sustain is already bad, but i will test Ulti backbar, thanks.
    Options
  • caperon
    caperon
    ✭✭✭✭
    Mizaeron wrote: »

Yes, it does make sense to use Ulti backbar, I will actually try it. Shards cost too much magicka and does too little dps, and sustain is already bad, but i will test Ulti backbar, thanks.

For shards you need to add the burning light procs, since is the skill that procs it most. I don't know the state on the pts, but the utility they bring and the burning light procs may be enought to still run it in boss fights. In aoe i assume will be used even after the nerf.
    Options
  • Cadbury
    Cadbury
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As a console player, I thank you for the extensive testing. Especially for the MagDk test, it's much appreciated.
    "If a person is truly desirous of something, perhaps being set on fire does not seem so bad."
    Options
  • Takes-No-Prisoner
    Takes-No-Prisoner
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cadbury wrote: »
    As a console player, I thank you for the extensive testing. Especially for the MagDk test, it's much appreciated.

Yes this. Thank you very much OP for your insight and numbers. If you do more testing I genuinely look forward to what you have to post.
    Options
  • WrathOfInnos
    WrathOfInnos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good testing, very similar results to what I’ve been seeing (average 75k Magden, 75k Magplar, 80k pet sorc). Sustain is definitely bad, and the new rotations are pretty boring.
    Options
  • Olupajmibanan
    Olupajmibanan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I have to say, Engulfing change doesn't ensure spot for magDK unless they remove the 10% cap. Discussion on this topic ongoing here:
    https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/495108/remove-cap-on-engulfing-flames#latest
    Options
  • Aznarb
    Aznarb
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The skill bar of magden are bad, you nerf the dps yourself with 2 inner light + 2 blue betty.
    Same for DK, 2 inner light are a wast you've the flame one who deal dmg and give you M.Prop.
    Well you seem to put it every time :/
    MagPlar don't need it either, reflective light is what you're lf : ulti gen + minor sorc + M. proph + aoe DoT.

I don't have read the rest, their is already to many obvious mistake to be a decent test.
    I salute the time you've take for that, but build are wrong :/
    [ PC EU ]

[ Khuram-dar ]
    [ Khajiit ]
    [ Templar - Healer ]
    [Crazy Gatherer & Compulsive Thief]

Options
  • Mizaeron
    Mizaeron
    ✭✭✭
    caperon wrote: »

For shards you need to add the burning light procs, since is the skill that procs it most. I don't know the state on the pts, but the utility they bring and the burning light procs may be enought to still run it in boss fights. In aoe i assume will be used even after the nerf.

Yes, that does make sense, I will try shards instead of Mystic orb, because sustain is already tragic even with absorb and channeled focus, thanks
    Options
  • Jodynn
    Jodynn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mystic orb -cringes-
    Poisons on mag -cringes-
    Absorb mag -cringes-

Makes me cri but you're right, this is the best build with no room for flexibility really other than not using mystic orb and just spamming more ( whip will give you around 20k dps this way so it makes up for it which is kind of sad ) and it makes me cri.
    Jodynn PC NA
    PvE and PvP MagDK
    The lack of communication from ZOS to player speaks volumes.
    Options
  • danno8
    danno8
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • Jodynn
    Jodynn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh and thanks OP for posting
    Jodynn PC NA
    PvE and PvP MagDK
    Options
  • Shantu
    Shantu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Aznarb wrote: »
    The skill bar of magden are bad, you nerf the dps yourself with 2 inner light + 2 blue betty.
    Same for DK, 2 inner light are a wast you've the flame one who deal dmg and give you M.Prop.
    MagPlar don't need it either, reflective light is what you're lf : ulti gen + minor sorc + M. proph + aoe DoT.

I don't have read the rest, their is already to many obvious mistake to be a decent test.

So easy to be a damn critic. Put in the effort to start your own thread and enlighten us. :/

These are what the OP choose to run and are very decent tests. They pretty much confirm what we're all seeing. After being buffed to meta in U23, DOT's have been nerfed to uselessness (which, I'm sorry, but begs the question if this group of devs knows what the hell they are doing). The ratio of cost to damage for AOE's in just not worth it because the skill costs increases across the board have made sustain a miserable experience (the only reason to run Unstable is for the Maelstrom proc). Back bars are basically the same for all builds. On the front you're left with a couple of lower costs class skills and spamming non-class Elemental Weapon (which I hate).

If this goes live, it's going to be SO much fun!! It's hard to get my head around this being vision of anybody's idea of diversity and class combat.

Thanks to the OP for your effort and the post.
    Options
  • LiquidPony
    LiquidPony
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

@Aznarb

What are you talking about?

Why is 2 x Inner Light + 2 x Blue Betty bad?

You understand that these are for the passive buffs (+max magicka and +% damage done), right? And that Major Prophecy comes from potions, right?
    Options
  • jypcy
    jypcy
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Those skills are slotted for the passives they give, as in 7% max magicka for inner light and 2% damage done for blue betty, which increase dps without having to ever waste time casting those skills. If it’s a dps loss to cast another skill from that slot instead of using your spammable (or you can’t sustain doing so), it makes far more sense to slot something with good passives. I can assume the tester was running spell power potions during the tests to cover the major buffs, and on magplar for example casting purifying light on cooldown already takes care of the ultigen passive.

You should take a closer look at the tests, might be able to learn some things :smile:
    Options
  • Jodynn
    Jodynn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    jypcy wrote: »

Those skills are slotted for the passives they give, as in 7% max magicka for inner light and 2% damage done for blue betty, which increase dps without having to ever waste time casting those skills. If it’s a dps loss to cast another skill from that slot instead of using your spammable (or you can’t sustain doing so), it makes far more sense to slot something with good passives. I can assume the tester was running spell power potions during the tests to cover the major buffs, and on magplar for example casting purifying light on cooldown already takes care of the ultigen passive.

You should take a closer look at the tests, might be able to learn some things :smile:

Either way PTS combat is dull and is terribly boring..., but @jypcy is most definitely correct about the skills.
    Jodynn PC NA
    PvE and PvP MagDK
    Options
  • SidraWillowsky
    SidraWillowsky
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    On magden, maybe try this (and I'm curious to see how it performs, because I'm getting the highest DPS numbers with this but my highest is much lower than your magden #):

Siroria + Spell Strategist + Zaan; vMA inferno back bar. Jewels = 2 infused and 1 Bloodthirsty with spell damage enchants
    Thief mundus

Front bar: shalks, elemental weap (it's out-parsing SCR, even without the weapon damage increase from slotting Dive), Fetcher, Betty, Bird of Prey (yeah, I know that the dummy provides Berserk; it's there for the damage). I personally don’t slot Inner Light on the front bar because I want the 2% damage from an Animal Companions ability vs. the mag.

Back bar: unstable wall, trap, betty, inner light, Bird of Prey. I can’t remember if you get magickasteal on the dummy automatically, but if you don’t, sub ele drain in instead to inner light or netch

Rotation is basically keeping trap and wall up on the backbar and Fetcher/netch on the front bar and then just doing shalks + 2x ele weap til you need to refresh things.

Personally, my testing indicates that incorporating ONE class DoT works well. My DPS is significantly lower than yours (63k on 21 mil) though, so who the hell knows.
    Options
  • WrathOfInnos
    WrathOfInnos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looking a little more closely, have you tried Warden without Fetcher Infection? I found it did slightly better, assuming that Minor Vuln was externally applied. This leaves enough bar space to double bar Bird of Prey and Inner Light.

I haven’t tested Magblade, but the same might be true for Cripple. I’m not sure it’s worth casting, although I guess you still want a Siphoning ability slotted for the 8% Max Magicka.
    Options
  • SidraWillowsky
    SidraWillowsky
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Looking a little more closely, have you tried Warden without Fetcher Infection? I found it did slightly better, assuming that Minor Vuln was externally applied. This leaves enough bar space to double bar Bird of Prey and Inner Light.

I haven’t tested Magblade, but the same might be true for Cripple. I’m not sure it’s worth casting, although I guess you still want a Siphoning ability slotted for the 8% Max Magicka.

Is Minor Vuln supplied by the Iron Atro?
    Options
  • Jodynn
    Jodynn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes minor vuln is supplied otherwise you see people parsing with lightning instead of berserker enchant Backbar which is apparently absorb mag now kek
    Jodynn PC NA
    PvE and PvP MagDK
    Options
  • Mizaeron
    Mizaeron
    ✭✭✭
    Thank you for feedback, updated Magplar parse. Put Blazing Spear frontbar for burning light proc and 10% crit bonus, and shooting star for magicka and recovery, and backbar Crescent sweep to maintain crit bonus. It's more damage than with mystic orb, unfortunately adding mystic orb will force too many heavy attacks (maybe it's worth though).

jts16nft0n3s.png
    mrx8ywt0d2gt.png
    k7loabspzzia.png
    Options
  • WrathOfInnos
    WrathOfInnos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thank you for feedback, updated Magplar parse. Put Blazing Spear frontbar for burning light proc and 10% crit bonus, and shooting star for magicka and recovery, and backbar Crescent sweep to maintain crit bonus. It's more damage than with mystic orb, unfortunately adding mystic orb will force too many heavy attacks (maybe it's worth though).

jts16nft0n3s.png
    mrx8ywt0d2gt.png
    k7loabspzzia.png

Very nice, first 80k Magplar I’ve seen on PTS. Orb + Blazing might be sustainable on Breton. I can test it later if you share your rotation.

Also when you do you start beaming these days, is it still around 40%?
    Edited by WrathOfInnos on September 26, 2019 6:46PM
    Options
  • Mizaeron
    Mizaeron
    ✭✭✭
    @WrathOfInnos

Start - Potion > CF>Trap>Shooting Star>Puryfing light> Blazing Spear> Blokade> Solar Barrage

Then spam ele weapon, always try to reapply Puryfing light right after it expires, can recast Spear early, can cast Blockade and Solar Barrage together (Both 10sec), can also recast early since vMA bonus is bugged and last 8seconds, also you won't loose empower if u recast solar barrage early, and last tick is not worth waiting. Recast trap just before expiry and channeled focus as well, and just use Crescent sweep on CD/

I tried beaming once early, I dont think it's worth. I start beaming at 25%, and just reapply puryfing light, spear, blockade and trap, at 10-15% can drop spear, at like 8% can drop purifying light, if it's like 5% then don't even bother with blockade or trap.
    Options
  • Mizaeron
    Mizaeron
    ✭✭✭
    @SidraWillowsky

I tried your build it's pretty close =)

ngftn4hdec3d.png
    fdy825pe6mac.png

Then I went and tried your skill build with my gear. Did a little bit more. Worth trying with mystic orb backbar, might pull a bit more, also worth testing inner light instead of 2% bonus dmg.

I didn't parse as much with Magden compared to some other classes so my original build might also do a bit more, I think most I could do with Magden is 76k, after trying everything.

4hq8900w6iqa.png
    g1j2lmxnexay.png

Options
  • SidraWillowsky
    SidraWillowsky
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Thank you SO much; I really appreciate it! OK cool, I'll give your suggestions a try :) And I'm usually abysmal at theorycrafting so it's also nice to see that what I've been doing is at least viable.
    Options
  • Cadbury
    Cadbury
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Your mDK setup isn't too different than what I run currently on live, so that's a positive.
    I wonder though due to the high magicka costs if it would be better to run double lightning next patch, cause I forsee some serious sustain issues ahead. Maybe it's because I've always felt lightning staff did better for me for sustain in the past.
    "If a person is truly desirous of something, perhaps being set on fire does not seem so bad."
    Options
  • Delparis
    Delparis
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Everytime I look at those parses with LA doing +20% of the total dps i just \facepalm to this LA game.
    Options
  • Olupajmibanan
    Olupajmibanan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Delparis wrote: »
    Everytime I look at those parses with LA doing +20% of the total dps i just \facepalm to this LA game.

We just facepalm at all your posts. That kinda balances things out.
    Options
  • Hotdog_23
    Hotdog_23
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Very interesting, thanks for posting this. As a console player is always nice to see good balanced testing of all class.
    Options