The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [IN PROGRESS] PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

[PvP] Protective jewelery is pay to win [Math proof inside]

Luckylancer
Luckylancer
✭✭✭✭✭
Thesis: Using protective jewelery is better than using set bonuses if you want to increase your resistances while sacrificing less on max stats. Robust and arcane are inferior to pay to win protective.
Method: I will calculate rates to find best bang for my buck. I will use magicka as main resource but stam is completely same, just use robust and draugr. I ll compare unconditional %100 uptime resources of max mag and resists. Alfiq, brass, protective and arcane give stats unconditionaly with %100 uptime as long as they are slotted.

Brass All Gold
(2 items) Adds 1206 Maximum Health
(3 items) Adds 2975 Physical Resistance (I ll divide these by half and calculate Physical+Spell= "resistance" to simplify things) 2975/2=1487 resistance per 1pc bonus
(4 items) Adds 2975 Spell Resistance.
(5 items) Adds 3460 Physical Resistance and 3460 Spell Resistance.

Alfiq / Draugr All Gold
(2 items) Adds 1096 Max Magicka
(3 items) Adds 1096 Max Magicka
(4 items) Adds 1096 Max Magicka
(5 items) Adds 2560 Max Magicka

Arcane
Increases Maximum Magicka by: bolted ones are gold ones. 1844/870 = 1784/840. Rate is same so I ll use gold ones. Result will be same.

760 790 820 840 870

Protective

Increases Spell Resistance and Physical Resistance by

1624 1684 1744 1784 1844 (1844+1844)/2=1844 resistance per protective bonus

protective jewelery's resistance / arcane's magicka = gold 1844/870 = 2,12. You gain 2.12 resist per mag
1 pc resistance of sets / 1 pc magicka bonus of sets = gold 1.487/1096 = 1,35 You gain 1.35 resist per mag
PTS fortified brass 5 pc's resistance / Crafty Alfiq 5 pc magicka = gold 3460 / 2560 = 1,35

Discussion: This means you get more resistances per point of potential magicka you lose from arcane trait. you lose mere 840 max stat and gain back 1784 resistances.
At other side you get 1487 resistance when you lose 1096 magcika on small piece bonus. You get less armor with more potential magicka sacrificed if you use set pieces.

Why jewelery traits give better resistances? Because it is not pay to win when you use sets, you dont pay for sets.

When I see protective jewelery on Medium or Light armor builds I get annoyed. Because I cant use them, I dont have Summerset. But I can use fortified brass, it is nice to have options. But what? I get less resistance for more magicka I lose! Protective jewels give 5.532‬ resists and lose 2.520 mag when I retrait; brass give 6.435 res and lose 4.752 magicka againts alfiq. (1206 max hp = 1096 max mag deduced because they can be manipulated with atrribute points with same rate)

Conclusion: It is not all about comparing Alfiq/draugr+protective to Brass+arcane/robust. Robust and arcane are inferior to pay to win protective. You get an advantage with using protective againts summerset-less players.

Bonus: Do you wonder why ZoS did nerf the fortified brass 5 pc? I know the reason.

Old fortified brass 5 pc resistance / Crafty Alfiq 5 pc magicka = gold 5170 / 2560 = 2.01 nearly same rate as 2,12 of protective.
PTS fortified brass 5 pc resistance / Crafty Alfiq 5 pc magicka = gold 3460 / 2560 = 1,35 This is the new one. 1,35 rate... Same as non-p2w small piece rates.

Even if old brass's rate was not as good as protective/arcane rate they still had to nerf it. 2.01 rate was TOO much for Zo$.

Edit: this can be fixed with small (~%10) buffs and nerfs to jewel traits and maybe even smaller ones to set bonuses. Reversing brass nerf can be nice too because set was not bis so it wont impact the meta with 5k resists.
Edited by Luckylancer on September 25, 2019 11:04PM
  • hakan
    hakan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ah yes. zos wanted it to be pay to win sooo much that they heavily nerfed protective.
  • leepalmer95
    leepalmer95
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Isn't protective like 1200 now?

The best armour per slot is the 1x piece armour monster sets. You can get 6k armour for slotting 2x armour pieces, way better than overated brass.
    PS4 EU DC

Current CP : 756+

I have every character level 50, both a magicka and stamina version.

RIP my effort to get 5x v16 characters...
  • Luckylancer
    Luckylancer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    hakan wrote: »
    ah yes. zos wanted it to be pay to win sooo much that they heavily nerfed protective.

I checked pts notes before posting and used elderscrollsonline wiki information. Can you show me where protective nerf is?

ZoS release stuff overtuned then nerf after sales but thats another discussion topic.
  • leepalmer95
    leepalmer95
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I checked pts notes before posting and used elderscrollsonline wiki information. Can you show me where protective nerf is?

ZoS release stuff overtuned then nerf after sales but thats another discussion topic.

Last patch.
    PS4 EU DC

Current CP : 756+

I have every character level 50, both a magicka and stamina version.

RIP my effort to get 5x v16 characters...
  • Naftal
    Naftal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So where's the pay?
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Naftal wrote: »
    So where's the pay?

Have to buy Summerset or ESO+ in order to transmute jewelry from dropped sets. Protective trait is available on crafted sets for purchase.

But by those standards, I think we'd have to call Relequen, Olorime, and every other meta BOP set from the DLC/Chapters to also be P2W, minus whatever shows up in the Golden Vendor. Maelstrom Arena Weapons? That's been pay to win since Orsinium! So, uh, I don't think this idea is going to go anywhere fast.

(Shhh! Nobody mention Free ESO+ trials!)
    Edited by VaranisArano on September 25, 2019 11:57PM
  • Naftal
    Naftal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So where's the pay?

Have to buy Summerset or ESO+ in order to transmute jewelry from dropped sets. Protective trait is available on crafted sets for purchase.

But by those standards, I think we'd have to call Relequen, Olorime, and every other meta BOP set from the DLC/Chapters to also be P2W, minus whatever shows up in the Golden Vendor. Maelstrom Arena Weapons? That's been pay to win since Orsinium! So, uh, I don't think this idea is going to go anywhere fast.

Ah so just salty rambling.
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Last patch.

Here's the relevant quote:

"Protective: Reduced this item trait to 1190 Physical and Spell Resistance at CP160 Legendary quality from 1844, to ensure its strength is similar to other jewelry traits."

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/488626/pc-mac-patch-notes-v5-1-5-scalebreaker-update-23
  • Royalthought
    Royalthought
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You're quite late with the pay2win on protective. You would've had more weight if you were a bit earlier or at least by just saying "jewelry crafting is pay2win." I could actually see that being the case.

Going with protective as your main point of attack after the nerf just takes a bit of your umph away. lol
  • GeorgeBlack
    GeorgeBlack
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    What do you win bro?
    1v1?
    4v4v4?
    AvAvA?
    Scoreboards?
  • ChunkyCat
    ChunkyCat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I pay for internet service so I can win the forums.
  • BaiterOfZergs
    BaiterOfZergs
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Using dialup
    Zerg of House Smallscale, First of his name, wielder of Volendrung, battleground hero, Cyrodiil butcher, the swifft footed, OG of the Templars and first pvpers, defender of scrolls and baiter of zergs.
  • Solariken
    Solariken
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    My dude, Protective got womped with the nerfbat a while ago - it's only 1190 at gold quality now.
  • Heatnix90
    Heatnix90
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congrats my dude you are literally months late with this revelation.
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Really good point. Free trial ESO+. Get your protective trait then.
  • cmvet
    cmvet
    ✭✭✭
    Are you in a trading guild? Most trading guilds have a primary residence where they have a transmute station. So you can go there and transmute your gear without having to own summerset. Just a suggestion.
  • buttaface
    buttaface
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What do you win bro?

Forum Special Olympics

• OG_Kaveman
    OG_Kaveman
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Heatnix90 wrote: »
    Congrats my dude you are literally months late with this revelation.

Op is a day late and a dollar short too. Set bonuses are finally being standardized to 1487 for all set bonuses for resists, with them all being both physical and spell resists, like this ought to have been in the first place.

The best armour per slot is the 1x piece armour monster sets. You can get 6k armour for slotting 2x armour pieces, way better than overated brass.

That has to be a bug, all other set bonuses for monster sets are the equivalent of 2,3,4 set bonuses of 5 piece sets.
    Edited by OG_Kaveman on September 26, 2019 5:11AM
  • grannas211
    grannas211
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    We three patches ago now?
  • Banana
    Banana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I dont see much winning there
  • mague
    mague
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Conclusion: It is not all about comparing Alfiq/draugr+protective to Brass+arcane/robust. Robust and arcane are inferior to pay to win protective. You get an advantage with using protective againts summerset-less players.

Or you could just ask someone to craft some. Blue should be affordable and still has 1744 resists on them. Or try to buy some crowns if you have some gold and then buy sommerset.

You could sub ESO+ to level jelwelry, craft what you need and drop ESO+ sub.

I doubt this is a p2w issue. What is with those players selling crowns and then buy all jewels from the guild stores to level jewelry fast. Is that p2w ?
  • thorwyn
    thorwyn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    (15 page thesis)
    Free trial ESO+. Get your protective trait then.

JENGAAAA!!!!!!!!!
    Edited by thorwyn on September 26, 2019 7:31AM
    And if the dam breaks open many years too soon
    And if there is no room upon the hill
    And if your head explodes with dark forebodings too
    I'll see you on the dark side of the moon
  • ToRelax
    ToRelax
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    OG_Kaveman wrote: »

That has to be a bug, all other set bonuses for monster sets are the equivalent of 2,3,4 set bonuses of 5 piece sets.

Damn, everyone using monster sets with a double 1 pc bonus is exploiting. :open_mouth:
    DAGON - ALTADOON - CHIM - GHARTOK
    The Covenant is broken. The Enemy has won...

Elo'dryel - Sorc - AR 50 - Hopesfire - EP EU
  • Royaji
    Royaji
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    grannas211 wrote: »
    We three patches ago now?

If we believe really hard maybe we can pretend that the last two patches didn't happen, right?
  • Xerikten
    Xerikten
    ✭✭✭✭
    p2w doesn't need math for proof. it either is or not. yours is not. the premise for having to buy a expansion isn't p2w. having to buy a subscription isn't p2w either.

thank you for the laugh. don't feel too bad as all p2w arguments on these forums fail to pass the requirements for the definition of p2w.
  • Speed_Kills
    Speed_Kills
    ✭✭✭
    This is why I rarely come to the forums 😂
    Some say speed kills, I hope to be proof of that.

Main- Speed Kills Nord Stamina Sorcerer
    +11 alts (every class, mag+stam)
  • BNOC
    BNOC
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    :D Even before the nerf, this was subjective.
    vMSA - Magplar - Xbox EU - 15/11/16
    578,000 - 36 Minutes 58 Seconds (Top 2 World?)

vMSA - Magplar - Xbox NA
    569,000 - 40 minutes (350CP, Non optimised runs)
  • OG_Kaveman
    OG_Kaveman
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ToRelax wrote: »

Damn, everyone using monster sets with a double 1 pc bonus is exploiting. :open_mouth:

what are you talking about? like domihuas or kena? well that is not really a double 1 piece, as a one piece for a spell damage/weapon damage is 129, same with domihaus, 1096 is the same as stam/mag, which is what you get for a 2,3,4 set bonuses of 5 piece set, as i said. reists are 1487 spell/physical on the 2,3,4 set bonuses of 5 piece sets. look at it this way, it would be like if kena offered 258 weapon/spell damage, on the one piece, or if domihaus was 2192 of both stam/mag on the one piece. it makes no sense to have monster one piece be double a 2,3,4 set bonuses of 5 piece set. then what is going with all the other set that only have one set bonus, like iceheart or valkyn, by your logic they need to either get weapon crit or double 1096 health, in the case of valkyn.
  • ToRelax
    ToRelax
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

what are you talking about? like domihuas or kena? well that is not really a double 1 piece, as a one piece for a spell damage/weapon damage is 129, same with domihaus, 1096 is the same as stam/mag, which is what you get for a 2,3,4 set bonuses of 5 piece set, as i said. reists are 1487 spell/physical on the 2,3,4 set bonuses of 5 piece sets. look at it this way, it would be like if kena offered 258 weapon/spell damage, on the one piece, or if domihaus was 2192 of both stam/mag on the one piece. it makes no sense to have monster one piece be double a 2,3,4 set bonuses of 5 piece set. then what is going with all the other set that only have one set bonus, like iceheart or valkyn, by your logic they need to either get weapon crit or double 1096 health, in the case of valkyn.

On non hybrids, max stam + max mag is far superior to wpn dmg + spell dmg (and still somewhat on hybrid). And yes, double bonuses on sets that have single bonuses would certainly make them more competitive when it comes to just the 1 pc bonus; however that doesn't mean it would be more balanced, some full monster sets are quite competitive with their single bonuses.
    DAGON - ALTADOON - CHIM - GHARTOK
    The Covenant is broken. The Enemy has won...

Elo'dryel - Sorc - AR 50 - Hopesfire - EP EU
  • BNOC
    BNOC
    ✭✭✭✭✭

On non hybrids, max stam + max mag is far superior to wpn dmg + spell dmg (and still somewhat on hybrid). And yes, double bonuses on sets that have single bonuses would certainly make them more competitive when it comes to just the 1 pc bonus; however that doesn't mean it would be more balanced, some full monster sets are quite competitive with their single bonuses.

Only in CP iirc
    vMSA - Magplar - Xbox EU - 15/11/16
    578,000 - 36 Minutes 58 Seconds (Top 2 World?)

vMSA - Magplar - Xbox NA
    569,000 - 40 minutes (350CP, Non optimised runs)