The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
In response to the ongoing issue, the North American PC/Mac megaserver is currently unavailable while we perform maintenance.
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8100050/#Comment_8100050

Shards vs Orbs synergy

Gnortranermara
Gnortranermara
✭✭✭✭✭
Due to the buff allowing the Orbs synergy to be used by multiple people, Templar currently has no reason to run their own class ability, Spear Shards, over generic Orbs.

Class abilities should be just as good (and arguably a little bit better) than generic abilities!

On live, the damage between Blazing Spear and Mystic Orb is roughly similar even when accounting for Burning Light procs. Sure, Orbs can miss 20-25% of the damage ticks on small targets, but it still breaks even as long as a single ally pops the synergy.

The only advantage to Spear is Minor Protection and Piercing Spear passives, but both of these are readily available from other Aedric Spear abilities. There's really no convincing reason for a Templar to use our own class ability, which is a shame because it's one of our best abilities visually and fits the class theme better than a magic floaty ball. I like that other classes have Orbs as an option, but Templar's class synergy should bring the same functionality so that all 6/6 classes aren't shoehorned into running the same skill.

TL;DR: Spear Shards needs the same multi-synergy effect as Orbs.
Edited by Gnortranermara on September 24, 2019 12:35AM
  • Nobnab
    Nobnab
    Soul Shriven
    According to the test server patch notes, it is planned to increase the costs of the templar spear shard to 5k magicka.
    If so, a shard should provide at least multiple synergies / resources such as the necrotic orb.

Since the last changes, an orb can provide nearly 4k resources up to 6 times and heals all players standing nearby for arround 7k health when used. That makes 24k resources on top of the healing for less than 3.5k magicka costs.
    Therefore, a shard for 5k costs that provides 4k resources only to a single player would be way out of the line.
  • Oakmontowls_ESO
    Oakmontowls_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As much as I'd love shards to be synergized by multiple people, it would make orbs obsolete for Templar healers. They would be able to put the shards right on top of the dps which would also proc olo and shards gives some of the lower resource.
  • redspecter23
    redspecter23
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nobnab wrote: »
    According to the test server patch notes, it is planned to increase the costs of the templar spear shard to 5k magicka.
    If so, a shard should provide at least multiple synergies / resources such as the necrotic orb.

Since the last changes, an orb can provide nearly 4k resources up to 6 times and heals all players standing nearby for arround 7k health when used. That makes 24k resources on top of the healing for less than 3.5k magicka costs.
    Therefore, a shard for 5k costs that provides 4k resources only to a single player would be way out of the line.

ZOS is reading this and is prepping up to nerf orb.
  • p00tx
    p00tx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    As long as the synergy for Blazing Spear changed, I'd be okay with this. Otherwise, a dps could just toss one out while doing their roto and have everyone covered (albeit for a smaller resource return). Maybe resource return for up to 12 on Luminous, and maybe raise group dmg by 1% for each player who synergized Blazing for 8 seconds, with a cap of 5 or 6 (would be way too OP in a PvP zerg without a cap). It would make both synergies unique, and would make Templars necessary in content, as well as make the skill useful now that it's been nerfed into Oblivion.
    Drdeath20 wrote: »
    OG_Kaveman wrote: »
    Being able to place the synergy exactly where it needs to go, in a 28 meter range, is worth all the things, that is an incredible tool, instead of waiting for orbs to float by, with only a range of 20 meters, as 2 meters per second for 10 seconds.

Thats just not enough

The previous poster forgot to mention that shards also restore both mag and stam pools simultaneously (orbs only restore the highest pool), which is ideal for tanks.
    Edited by p00tx on October 3, 2019 8:20PM
    PC/Xbox NA Mindmender|Swashbuckler Supreme|Planes Breaker|Dawnbringer|Godslayer|Immortal Redeemer|Gryphon Heart|Tick-tock Tormentor|Dro-m'Athra Destroyer|Stormproof|Grand Overlord|Grand Mastercrafter|Master Grappler|Tamriel Hero
  • Gnortranermara
    Gnortranermara
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As much as I'd love shards to be synergized by multiple people, it would make orbs obsolete for Templar healers. They would be able to put the shards right on top of the dps which would also proc olo and shards gives some of the lower resource.

Yes, that's the point. Generic non-class skills are supposed to be "obsolete" on classes that have a superior class alternative. Harness is "obsolete" on Sorc, Silver Leash is "obsolete" on a DK tank with chains, Force Pulse is "obsolete" on a NB with Swallow Soul, Detro ulti is "obsolete" on Warden with Sleet Storm, etc. That's how this game is supposed to work. Generic skills are there to fill gaps for other classes, not to overshadow class-defining skills with superior functionality.

And Orbs still get the burst heal or burst damage that Shards lacks, so non-Templar healers have a perfectly acceptable alternative.
  • OG_Kaveman
    OG_Kaveman
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Being able to place the synergy exactly where it needs to go, in a 28 meter range, is worth all the things, that is an incredible tool, instead of waiting for orbs to float by, with only a range of 20 meters, as 2 meters per second for 10 seconds.
  • kalunte
    kalunte
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    i'm definatly in favor of the OP proposal. i've ask for it when they made orbs to be multi-synergizable.

now new arguments are to be taken i consideration (cost mostly) and the overall performance of the generic skill compared to the class skill.

ps: i'd hate so see the healing/dmg part of orbs' synergy to be nerfed, but well. if they act like what they did with Javelin, they're more likely to nerf the orb instead of bringing shards to orbs' lvl...
  • Drdeath20
    Drdeath20
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Thats just not enough
  • gallach
    gallach
    Soul Shriven
    What if Luminous Shards synergy could be available to up 3 GROUP members while Blazing Spear keeps the one player synergy activation limit?
  • OG_Kaveman
    OG_Kaveman
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Drdeath20 wrote: »

Thats just not enough

To you. That is more then enough for my healer.
  • Nobnab
    Nobnab
    Soul Shriven

Yes, that's the point. Generic non-class skills are supposed to be "obsolete" on classes that have a superior class alternative. Harness is "obsolete" on Sorc, Silver Leash is "obsolete" on a DK tank with chains, Force Pulse is "obsolete" on a NB with Swallow Soul, Detro ulti is "obsolete" on Warden with Sleet Storm, etc. That's how this game is supposed to work. Generic skills are there to fill gaps for other classes, not to overshadow class-defining skills with superior functionality.

And Orbs still get the burst heal or burst damage that Shards lacks, so non-Templar healers have a perfectly acceptable alternative.

I totally agree with you.
    Compared to the orbs, the planned changes would make the shard absolutely worthless.
    Edited by Nobnab on October 3, 2019 9:07PM
  • Oakmontowls_ESO
    Oakmontowls_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Then a Templar healer or Templar mdps will be required
  • Iskiab
    Iskiab
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

This is news to me, force pulse is better than swallow soul.
    Looking for any guildies I used to play with:
    Havoc Warhammer - Alair
    LoC EQ2 - Mayi and Iskiab
    Condemned and Tabula Rasa - Rift - Iskiab
    Or anyone else I used to play games with in guilds I’ve forgotten
  • Zippy81
    Zippy81
    ✭✭✭
    Orbs are not that easy to get when you're building a healer from scratch, you need to complete pledges to max a skill line.

I have another idea, how about the synergy is different and restores half what orbs provide but from all 3 pools? That would add another synergy as well. Otherwise it's a great skill anyway, magicka templar damage dealers provide a great synergy for the group.
    Kind regards,
    Zippy
  • Jodynn
    Jodynn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Shards can be placed anywhere and also give the other resource as well for luminous; Orbs travel at the rate of a snail and it takes awhile to get to the tank especially in positions where you must be behind or for example kite healing in vCR your orbs probably won't ever make it to the tank and if the group healer is busy or stacking in the middle then shards is the best tool for the job for resources back to the tank.

It makes sense but that being said.

My proposal would luminous shard to be able to be synergized multiple times but blazing only once.
    Jodynn PC NA
    PvE and PvP MagDK
    The lack of communication from ZOS to player speaks volumes.
  • titaniumdust
    titaniumdust
    ✭✭✭
    Hotter take: the cooldown on orbs and shard should be separated again. Originally they were on separate cooldowns, but they were combined to reduce the effectiveness of templar healers and make other classes viable. ZOS also wanted to reduce sustain in general. They said they didn't want healers to have to feed resources to group members. But healing is very different now than it was around Morrowind. ZOS seems to have now embraced the idea that healers are batteries for DPS and tanks and have introduced multiple sets that allow healers to help group members manage their resources. I think it's time to separate the cooldowns again. Sustain in general is going to need some help after this patch, and for 5K magicka this ability should do something special again. Yeah, it makes a templar healer "required" but templar healers are already "required" for purify synergies and potl, and nothing this patch changes that.