Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Target dummy for tank and/or healer

akl77
akl77
✭✭✭✭✭
To test and see what skills and gears my tank or healer can take on with a dummy for testing.
Pc na

Target dummy for tank and/or healer 68 votes

Yes
66%
AzuryaRunkorkoGnatrakChefZeroJeremyactoshHookgrinGahmerdohnpriforceVaranaRex-Umbrapod88kkVildebillelantauraMyNameIsEliasTankinatorFRakl77heavenelvaBobby_V_RockitWhite wabbit 45 votes
No
27%
Sorianaalainjbrennanb16_ESOp_tsakirisb16_ESOzariaSodanTokidkkylewwefanLadyNalcaryaShewolf075mikemaconToniWinterLuminideevonieeredlink1979Drako_EiIskiabburty61GenjiraXhasi 19 votes
Other
5%
HvzedaLordGavusEvilAutoTechWyrd88 4 votes
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    For the most challenging content tanks do not build for their own survival as is common in other games and healers do not gear to maximize their heals. Instead they both build to increase the survival of the group and increase the groups damage via sets such as Ebon/Alkosh (tanks) and Jorvulds/Olorime for healers. If tanking with a serious group both roles tend to run what they are asked to by the raid leader. I have not seen a tank build for serious tanking that took into consideration resistance or damage reduction for over 3 years.

For anything else it really does not matter as you can wear pretty much use any set you want. Besides, every fight is different and it would be impractical for Zos to but a basic setup that would do nothing to prepare a tank to tank anything even mildly challenging. Same with healers.
    Edited by idk on September 11, 2019 10:48AM
  • akl77
    akl77
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    idk wrote: »
    For the most challenging content tanks do not build for their own survival as is common in other games and healers do not gear to maximize their heals. Instead they both build to increase the survival of the group and increase the groups damage via sets such as Ebon/Alkosh (tanks) and Jorvulds/Olorime for healers. If tanking with a serious group both roles tend to run what they are asked to by the raid leader. I have not seen a tank build for serious tanking that took into consideration resistance or damage reduction for over 3 years.

For anything else it really does not matter as you can wear pretty much any set you want. Besides, every fight is different and it would be impractical for Zos to but a basic setup that would do nothing to prepare a tank to tank anything even mildly challenging. Same with healers.

For example, how do I test if my tank build, skills slotted, gears, cp, can survive vss dragon breath, you gotta find a group who is willing to wipe with you, which is unessasary. It’ll also help a lot of noob tank to learn the basics about how to build a tank.
    Same goes for testing healer, the vss ice tomb is a basic test, some healers in game just couldn’t heal the ice tomb, in which they can improve their build and skills and cp on.
    Just like dps test, without theses tests, you won’t know how good your build is.

Vice versa, I’m not willing to bring in a tank that couldn’t survive dragon breath or Vhrc last boss to vss to waste everybody’s time. And I wouldn’t want a healer who doesn’t have enough healing done or skills used to heal the ice tomb.
    Edited by akl77 on September 11, 2019 10:58AM
    Pc na
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    akl77 wrote: »

For anything else it really does not matter as you can wear pretty much any set you want. Besides, every fight is different and it would be impractical for Zos to but a basic setup that would do nothing to prepare a tank to tank anything even mildly challenging. Same with healers.

For example, how do I test if my tank build, skills slotted, gears, cp, can survive vss dragon breath.

Zos is not building dps dummies for specific fights. They all just stand there. Why would they build a much more complicated, fight specific, tank dummy for you?

You join a raiding guild that is for lesser experienced players. They help you learn if you have the basic talent for it. They tell you want gear you will wear, what skills you need to slot, how to setup your CP and what you will need to do. They will tell you what you need to do to survive boss mechanics. They can be rough rides as you will have a number of players less experienced like yourself though if you are in a good guild for learning you will also have some that are more experienced to help out the group.

That is how you do it. Zos is not going to make fight specific dummies. Oh, and watch videos. Tanking is more than just standing there holding block and taunting.
    Edited by idk on September 11, 2019 11:25AM
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    FYI, if you do not know of a guild like what I mentioned use the guild finder in game and/or post a message in the recruiting section of the forms that is specific to the server you are on.
  • pod88kk
    pod88kk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Yes
    But I'm curious as to how it'd work
  • VaxtinTheWolf
    VaxtinTheWolf
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just play around solo in my favorite hangout spot, Veteran Blackheart Haven. Insult the mother's of two or three groups and see what you can manage.
    || AD - Rah'Jiin Lv50 Khajiit Nightblade (Damage) || EP - Generic Argonian Lv50 Argonian Nightblade (Tank) || DC - Zinkotsu Lv50 Breton Nightblade (Healer) ||
    || DC - Ja'Kiro Feral-Heart Lv50 Khajiit Dragonknight (Damage) || EP - VaxtinTheWolf Lv50 Redguard Templar (Tank) || AD - Velik Iranis Lv50 Dark Elf Sorcerer (Tank ) ||
    || EP - Einvarg The Frozen Lv50 Nord Warden (Tank/Healer) || EP - Keem-Ja Lv4 Argonian Necromancer (Healer/Tank) ||
    PC - North American Server (Champion 1300+)
  • akl77
    akl77
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    pod88kk wrote: »

For example, the damage you get from dummy will gets stronger every min, see how many min of damages you’re able to self manage tanking it. Damage rank up every min, from beginner normal dungeon boss damage to vet trials hm damages.

Same goes for healer, the dummy will slowly dying, see how many seconds you’re able to keep it alive.
    Simple as that.
    Pc na
  • Runkorko
    Runkorko
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes

It works well in wow.
  • xenowarrior92eb17_ESO
    xenowarrior92eb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    guards should do just fine if you wanna yolo.
  • redlink1979
    redlink1979
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    No
    Raid leader/guild will tell you minimum health n resistances required. One health set + debuff set if you're the main tank. Debuff + buff set if you're the off tank. SnB front bar, ice staff back bar.

Healers are always asked to adapt to the group n trial.
    "Sweet Mother, sweet Mother, send your child unto me, for the sins of the unworthy must be baptized in blood and fear"
    • Sons of the Night Mother [PS5][EU] 2165 CP
    • Daggerfall's Mightiest [PS5][NA] 1910 CP
    • SweetTrolls [PC][EU] 1950 CP
    • Bacon Rats [PC][NA] 1850 CP
  • GenjiraX
    GenjiraX
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    I'd just like target dummies to fight back. I honestly think they're a waste of money/mats as they are. I generally just use them as furniture.
  • EvilAutoTech
    EvilAutoTech
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other
    To practice with your tank, find some friends to run a dungeon or join a pug. Either way, you really need a group. Probably works the same for healers.
  • Muzzick
    Muzzick
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    Not related to tanking but I wish the next dummy has some add phases so the focus isn't just single target
  • akl77
    akl77
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    To practice with your tank, find some friends to run a dungeon or join a pug. Either way, you really need a group. Probably works the same for healers.

Each group and situations are different, you really can’t tell which class of tank you owned performs better to for example vss dragon breath. You can’t compare which skills, gears, cp, attributes you’re using has how much exact differences.

No group or situation will be performing 100% the same for you to get an accurate comparison.
    Edited by akl77 on September 11, 2019 1:24PM
    Pc na
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No

For example, the damage you get from dummy will gets stronger every min, see how many min of damages you’re able to self manage tanking it. Damage rank up every min, from beginner normal dungeon boss damage to vet trials hm damages.

Same goes for healer, the dummy will slowly dying, see how many seconds you’re able to keep it alive.
    Simple as that.

This would literally be meaningless. It is irrelevant information and does nothing to help a player prepare to tank or heal vSS or any challenging trial.

A raiding guild could care less what you can parse on a dps dummy because that dummy cannot prepare you for any fight post Craglorn. A tanking or healing dummy be even more meaningless since healing is more than just healing and tanking is not just standing their and holding block.

If Zos created a tanking dummy like this and you found the gear you liked, what would you do when the raid leader told you to wear something else because they like different gear? I have seen a tank get kicked from a good raid group because they did not want to wear the gear they were asked to.
  • Itzmichi
    Itzmichi
    ✭✭✭✭✭

For example, how do I test if my tank build, skills slotted, gears, cp, can survive vss dragon breath, you gotta find a group who is willing to wipe with you, which is unessasary. It’ll also help a lot of noob tank to learn the basics about how to build a tank.
    Same goes for testing healer, the vss ice tomb is a basic test, some healers in game just couldn’t heal the ice tomb, in which they can improve their build and skills and cp on.
    Just like dps test, without theses tests, you won’t know how good your build is.

Vice versa, I’m not willing to bring in a tank that couldn’t survive dragon breath or Vhrc last boss to vss to waste everybody’s time. And I wouldn’t want a healer who doesn’t have enough healing done or skills used to heal the ice tomb.

How would that help you being a better tank? Experience will be gained while you actively play a tank. Bosses have different kind of damage/dots etc.

Check out videos and/or builds if you need to.
    Here, have a chill pill 💊!
  • Starlock
    Starlock
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    I don't use target dummies.

That said, I can understand the min-max crowd (or even some regular players) wanting to see what their heals top out as or how much damage they take while blocking with a particular resistance value.
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    Starlock wrote: »
    I don't use target dummies.

That said, I can understand the min-max crowd (or even some regular players) wanting to see what their heals top out as or how much damage they take while blocking with a particular resistance value.

The min/max crowd would not use this for healing or tanking as anything that Zos would actually provide would be to basic to be worthwhile.

It would actually be bad for Zos to offer it. Some might actually think it would help prepare them for tanking or healing trials and then get pissed off when raiding guilds and groups tell them they wasted their money.
  • Major_Lag
    Major_Lag
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you want to practice tanking, just go solo a world boss. Far better than any training dummy could ever be.

For healing it's a bit tricky, not many options if you don't have a friend who can take the damage for you to heal.
    PUG healing skills can be practiced on the goblin allies in Fungal Grotto, they are the ultimate PUG simulator: always charging mindlessly ahead, stand in red all the time, etc.
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    Major_Lag wrote: »
    If you want to practice tanking, just go solo a world boss. Far better than any training dummy could ever be.

This is actually a great idea because they have actual mechanics.

Tanking in ESO is not as much about how much damage one can take, but how much one can avoid which requires actual mechanics that a dummy cannot provide. At least not a dummy that would be priced so enough would be willing to buy it.
  • EvilAutoTech
    EvilAutoTech
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other

The problem with soloing anything, wb, dungeon, magical construct or whatever, is that there is no group. Tanking is not just about dealing with the heavy hitting/ high health enemies. If you're solo, there's no need to taunt, no group to buff, and half of your debuffs would just be a waste of resources, as they would not apply to whatever type of weapon you are using for damage.

You can't practice for group content by yourself. It's just not the same.
  • Soriana
    Soriana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    @akl77 There are several overland world bosses that mimic trial boss scenarios and mechanics, albeit not with the same severity, but you can definitely test out your tank build with them...and you can use different ones for different mechanics. If you're interested, message me and I can tell you a few spots.
  • p_tsakirisb16_ESO
    p_tsakirisb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No

The problem with soloing anything, wb, dungeon, magical construct or whatever, is that there is no group. Tanking is not just about dealing with the heavy hitting/ high health enemies. If you're solo, there's no need to taunt, no group to buff, and half of your debuffs would just be a waste of resources, as they would not apply to whatever type of weapon you are using for damage.

If you do not die without healer against a world boss in 15 minutes fight while grinding it, you are fine. No need to kill it.
  • EvilAutoTech
    EvilAutoTech
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other

If you do not die without healer against a world boss in 15 minutes fight while grinding it, you are fine. No need to kill it.

I solo world bosses all the time. It doesn't help me tank vROM. I need to tank vROM to practice for vROM. Same for any other dungeon or trial.

Yes, Virginia, there are wbs with decent mechanics. But if all I'm doing is taking damage or avoiding mechanics, then all I learn is how to take damage and avoid mechanics. That's not really the same as tanking.
  • Rex-Umbra
    Rex-Umbra
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Yes
    Would love to see how much dps i can handle hitting me.
    Xbox GT: Rex Umbrah
    GM of IMPERIUM since 2015.
  • Major_Lag
    Major_Lag
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's completely beside the point here.
    The whole idea behind doing that is to practice tanking - which means exactly that, holding taunt on the boss, applying debuffs, keeping the boss as stationary as possible, etc.
    I solo world bosses all the time. It doesn't help me tank vROM. I need to tank vROM to practice for vROM. Same for any other dungeon or trial.
    Correct. For endgame content, you need to practice on the actual content. Progression groups, etc.
    However, every tank has to first learn the basics of tanking somewhere.

There's no point to even attempt tanking any endgame content before you have mastered the fundamentals of the tanking role.
    And there's no way to learn even the barest basics of tanking without actually tanking difficult enemies (bosses).

Of course you can jump right into group content and practice that way, but IMO it's better to solo a bunch of bosses first. Especially since that means you won't possibly get carried by a good healer and/or good DPS who burn the boss down quickly.
  • D0PAMINE
    D0PAMINE
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Each group and situations are different, you really can’t tell which class of tank you owned performs better to for example vss dragon breath. You can’t compare which skills, gears, cp, attributes you’re using has how much exact differences.

No group or situation will be performing 100% the same for you to get an accurate comparison.

It takes many dungeon/trial runs to fine tune your tank. When I built mine, I got all relevant skill lines and every single passive. It takes time, and is expensive. You'll be carrying multiple sets. I min/maxed mine from the very beginning to make it as forgiving as possible. @idk has also answered my tanking questions as well as many others who post here. What I reccomend, if you want to see how tanking vSS is currently being done in organized groups, is to simply watch a video of some runs from the tank pov.
  • kargen27
    kargen27
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Soriana wrote: »
    @akl77 There are several overland world bosses that mimic trial boss scenarios and mechanics, albeit not with the same severity, but you can definitely test out your tank build with them...and you can use different ones for different mechanics. If you're interested, message me and I can tell you a few spots.

When I was testing my tank I went and played with the bosses in Wrothgar.

Sometimes just for fun I'll take my healer out and try to keep all the dragon hunters alive.
    and then the parrot said, "must be the water mines green too."
  • Jeremy
    Jeremy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    To test and see what skills and gears my tank or healer can take on with a dummy for testing.

I like the idea.

Having a dummy that would measure your ability to heal or withstand attacks could benefit players - especially those who are trying to prepare their characters for dungeons (since the landscape does such a poor job at it).

Though I believe training courses players could participate in where they are matched with NPC group members would probably be more effective. So I would favor that approach.

Edited by Jeremy on September 11, 2019 6:23PM
  • Major_Lag
    Major_Lag
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jeremy wrote: »
    Though I believe training courses players could participate in where they are matched with NPC group members would probably be more effective. So I would favor that approach.
    This. Make it happen, ZOS. :)

In the meantime, probably the next best bet for tanking/healing practice is to solo tank world bosses, or heal the players fighting the more popular WBs.