The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

So we're looking at over a year of a frozen Champion System with no end in sight

Transairion
Transairion
✭✭✭✭✭
Murkmire Patch, October 2018

Q&A gives us our first update on what is being done with CP, August 2019
When do you expect to start reworking/auditing the Champion Point system?
We’re actually working on it internally right now, but in terms of when we’re going to get something out publicly, that’s not anytime soon.

I don't really know what to say really, all my CP above the 810 cap serves no purpose and may not serve a purpose until (or even exist) in 2020 or beyond.

Instead of the powercreep of CP we have powercreep from newer Sets instead, but only for certain things (looking at you, Lokke) so it doesn't feel like freezing it has done anything but deny me more utility CP unlocks. Maybe PvP is slightly more balanced, but I have no idea about that stuff.

At any rate, in the meantime can we at least get something so our 810+ CP's actually serves any purpose? Can every CP I earn over the cap send me 1,000 gold or something?
Edited by Transairion on August 27, 2019 4:54PM
  • chrightt
    chrightt
    ✭✭✭✭
    You mean you’re basically complaining about not feeling the extra benefit of going above CP810. I mean it is like hitting level cap in every other game. For the current system having any higher CP will defeat the purpose of having certain distributions (for getting 120 bonus) and the CP system will need a whole new rework. Also not everyone likes having even higher CP to compete in Cyrodiil or what not.
  • Katahdin
    Katahdin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The only people that don't like having more CP are the ones that aren't at cap.

I agree with the OP. Let's us use more CP.
    The power creep from it has already pretty much hit max due to the diminishing return with higher points in each category
    Beta tester November 2013
  • UppGRAYxDD
    UppGRAYxDD
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gonna be capped till Q3-4 2020...
    "Stendarr's mercy be upon you, for the vigil has none to spare."
  • Finedaible
    Finedaible
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I am at cp 810 and I think champion system being locked for now is fine (temporarily). There are definitely much larger problems the company needs to tackle in the meantime. Performance seems to be their next main concern since they have given us nearly a year-long plan for fixes/optimizations (a little too late imo). I just hope they don't go full EA with the cash shop greed in the coming years, there's already concerning signs of this with recent updates and skill line unlocks. For example, while good games have cool mounts and other stuff unlocked via achievements, ESO locks cool mounts behind gambling crates paywall...
  • WoppaBoem
    WoppaBoem
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Really bad joke that is..... :(
    Xbox EU & NA - PVP Only
  • ATreeGnome
    ATreeGnome
    ✭✭✭✭
    Honestly I don't know why they bothered freezing CP cap increases. Even before the cap, the power creep from CP had been negligible in comparison to new sets and general buffs to damage for a very long time.

That said, I don't feel like it's a big deal that the cap isn't increasing either.

It would be nice to have titles as rewards for hitting certain, high CP thresholds though. Maybe a unique mount or vanity pet or even a skin?
  • Dalsinthus
    Dalsinthus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Katahdin wrote: »

The power creep from it has already pretty much hit max due to the diminishing return with higher points in each category

I agree. The power creep has been largely set driven and dps numbers have skyrocketed while cp is flat and there have been across the board nerfs to many skills as part of the 'ability audit.'

I'd rather feel like my power comes from my character - that is skills, passives, and cp - than from the gear set he or she wears. Also with the diminishing returns of the cp system should help to keep power creep within certain guardrails.
  • lukoi
    lukoi
    ✭✭✭
    Ive played to level cap in many games, and evenAsherons Call had at points a value to leveling/grinding (at increasingly diminishing returns), as you spent experience points to increase skills even past the max character level of 126, but at a certain point it too was largely irrelevant.

Personally I dont see a need or a value to increasing CP past a certain poinyt, and while I admit, there might be some value in 1k+ CP PvE environments someday, the current cap in PvP seems like absolutely the right idea.

If ZoS wants to go thru the trouble of developing some new content to challenge 810+ CP earners because a significantly sized demographic would love the challenge, sure, go for it imo. But keep a cap for CP enabled PvP regardless.
    Edited by lukoi on August 27, 2019 6:03PM
  • master_vanargand
    master_vanargand
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very boring.
  • chrightt
    chrightt
    ✭✭✭✭

lmao what kind of argument is this. People can be at cap CP and don't want more CP due to balancing issues. You might as well say the only people who want more CP are the ones who are over CP cap. Congrats, now ZOS can just raise the CP cap infinitely like BDO and pretend everything is working as intended. 10/10 great idea.
  • KingExecration
    KingExecration
    ✭✭✭✭
    Even if you gave all my characters skill points every dozen or so of cp over cap I’d feel rewarded. Just feels meaningless being over cap.
  • NBrookus
    NBrookus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

I'm over the cap by about 500 points, and I'd rather see CP reduced to ~600. Allocation was a lot more meaningful then. At 810 you can basically have everything you need.
  • Emma_Overload
    Emma_Overload
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    810 is such a bad spot to stop. 900 would be better, and 1080 would be best.
    #CAREBEARMASTERRACE
  • Heatnix90
    Heatnix90
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Right, because what we need right now is more power creep. Big-brain logic fam
  • Vapirko
    Vapirko
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Look on the bright side. At least with it capped it’s just performing as it always has. A constant if you will. No new bugs or whatever. When they finally release the CP overhaul I’m sure it will be absolutely game breaking. In theory it’s nice to look forward to but in reality I can only imagine the *** ups it’s going to bring along with it.
    Edited by Vapirko on August 28, 2019 4:05AM
  • ccfeeling
    ccfeeling
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    No power creep , no powerful new sets , we all play the game in basic both PVE and PVP B)
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Considering the steep diminishing returns it is not that big of a deal. even more so since the new design just might be cut off at an equivalent of 810 CP.

If the CP cap being frozen at 810 for the foreseeable future is your biggest or one of your biggest issues in ESO then you are doing great.
  • Emma_Overload
    Emma_Overload
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Heatnix90 wrote: »

Right, because what we need right now is more power creep. Big-brain logic fam

The power creep from new gear absolutely dwarfs the miniscule power gains from extra CP. You do know that CP are front loaded, right?
    #CAREBEARMASTERRACE
  • Transairion
    Transairion
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If the CP cap being frozen at 810 for the foreseeable future is your biggest or one of your biggest issues in ESO then you are doing great.

Very possible, though my issue is mostly that is removes any progression I had in ESO: instead of gaining 30 CP every couple months, the only progress is changing gear... and since I mostly play Magicka there aren't extremely strong sets being introduced every patch (Relequen, Lokke). One of the strongest new Magicka sets in recent times is a Magicka-version of a Sanctum Ophidia set from four years ago...

Combined with balance changes that keep nerfing me it actually feels like I'm getting weaker over time instead of stronger...
  • Naftal
    Naftal
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Combined with balance changes that keep nerfing me it actually feels like I'm getting weaker over time instead of stronger...

What do you play? At least Scalebreaker made my magicka characters stronger.
  • SodanTok
    SodanTok
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    This just in, hitting level cap means you are stuck at that cap. Gamers thru all RPGs and MMOs are in riots.
  • NeillMcAttack
    NeillMcAttack
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Keeping it capped makes sense while they are attempting to address performance. As we know, CP calculations can add to server congestion.
    So when it comes to making real effort to address performance, I think we all need to be on board.
    PC EU - NoCP PvP, is real PvP
    Tiidehunter Nord StamDK EP PvP Main
    Legion Commander Tresdin Stamplar DC PvE Main
    Sephirith Altmer MagPlar EP Gondar the Bounty Hunter Khajiit StamBlade DC
    The Dirge Redguard StamNecro EP Disruptor Stormcrafter Nord StamSorc AD
    Lone Druid Bosmer Stam Warden EP Necro-Phos Argonian MagBlade AD
    @ McAttack in game
    Played since beta, and then on console at release, until the game became unplayable on console.
  • Lifemocker
    Lifemocker
    ✭✭✭

I’m at 1300 cp and don’t think we need more cp to get stronger. I would like that after a certain point the cp would be put in a different kind of a tree that would affect your character in a different manner. Like thiefing, inventory management selling junk to merchants for more and other stuff like that.
  • Emma_Overload
    Emma_Overload
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Keeping it capped makes sense while they are attempting to address performance. As we know, CP calculations can add to server congestion.
    So when it comes to making real effort to address performance, I think we all need to be on board.

We don't know any such thing. Why do people keep repeating this myth?

I do remember that ZOS did an experiment for a week a while back to SEE if removing CP improved performance, and it did not make any difference.

Edited by Emma_Overload on August 28, 2019 2:03PM
    #CAREBEARMASTERRACE
  • Katahdin
    Katahdin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    chrightt wrote: »

lmao what kind of argument is this. People can be at cap CP and don't want more CP due to balancing issues. You might as well say the only people who want more CP are the ones who are over CP cap. Congrats, now ZOS can just raise the CP cap infinitely like BDO and pretend everything is working as intended. 10/10 great idea.

If there are people that dont want it they can, you know, choose not to use those points then. Why should those of us that want it be held back because a bunch of whiners gota whine.

The would never be an "indefinite" amount. The real cap is and always has been 3600 and you can only put 100 points in each category.

As far as balance. 1. There will never be perfect balance. Thinking there can be is a fallacy. 2. CP is available to everyone to earn, so it is inherently balanced on so far as CP are concerned, 3. what power creep the is from CP is already at pretty much max potential. At 810, anything more is minimal due to diminishing returns built into the system.

We get way more power creep from sets and things like animation cancelling/light attacks than CP. WAAAY more.
    Edited by Katahdin on August 28, 2019 2:23PM
  • RaddlemanNumber7
    RaddlemanNumber7
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I would be willing to sell my excess CP back to ZOS at, say, 100 Cr for 10 CP. That would give about 5500 Cr for my current excess. Not much in the grand scheme of things.

PC EU
  • Katahdin
    Katahdin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lol they are never going to give crowns for CP. Keep dreaming.

Whatever they are gona do, they are just going to do it and we will have to live with it.
    Edited by Katahdin on August 28, 2019 2:31PM
  • kojou
    kojou
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I think they should bump the cap to 1200. That seems like a good number to me.
    Playing since beta...
  • ThePedge
    ThePedge
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Put the cap down to 300CP
  • Vigawatt
    Vigawatt
    ✭✭✭
    While I think it's appropriate for them to examine the CP system, I wish they would just increase the cap to 900 in the meantime. That doesn't detract from them acknowledging the CP system needs work.

I just really want a nice round number like 900. Come on now, 810?