The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Silly I know - how do I practice bar-swapping?

Birdnerdgirl
Birdnerdgirl
Soul Shriven
I’ve been into ESO For 4 years now, first online game I’ve played. I’m definitely a PVE player, but to complete some achievements I really need to get bar-swapping down. Does anybody have advice on how to start and practice? Would it ever be possible for me to single bar endgame content?
  • Aurie
    Aurie
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can practise on a training dummy if you have a house.

For single bar builds, google Alcast. :)
  • Sanctum74
    Sanctum74
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I see that you are on ps4, in the ps4 accessibility settings you can change the bar swap button. I have mine set for the left joystick, some prefer the right, but either way it's much easier than hitting left D pad every time.

This will change the settings for all games, but it can be turned off and turned back on again easily.
  • Birdnerdgirl
    Birdnerdgirl
    Soul Shriven
    Sanctum74 wrote: »
    I see that you are on ps4, in the ps4 accessibility settings you can change the bar swap button. I have mine set for the left joystick, some prefer the right, but either way it's much easier than hitting left D pad every time.

This will change the settings for all games, but it can be turned off and turned back on again easily.

Thank you! That is very helpful. I will test on my skeleton tonight!
  • SugaComa
    SugaComa
    ✭✭✭✭✭

How would you strafe if you did that ?
  • zvavi
    zvavi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Put essential abilities on both bars and go do nMA. Depends on your skill lvl it can be vMA too. This is how i am slowly hammering the new dot meta into myself :shrug:
    Edited by zvavi on August 26, 2019 4:03AM
  • Micah_Bayer
    Micah_Bayer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    SugaComa wrote: »

How would you strafe if you did that ?

He meant clicking left joystick, not moving it.
  • Zer0_CooL
    Zer0_CooL
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think best option to practise PvE are worldbosses. You don't need trialgear to do that and with only a few exceptions they can all be done solo.
  • sudaki_eso
    sudaki_eso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Am i missing something here? Bar-swapping? You want to practice on how to press a single button? - might sound rude but no offense intended ;)

After playing 4 years i guess you have a rotation when fighting, simply press the bar-swap button immediately after your last skill on your front or backbar - thats it.
    Single bar endgame content is possible but you will loose a lot of damage if you constrain yourself to one bar.

A training dummy would be the baest place to practice, it doesnt hit back, stands still and respawns all the time, hit a skill -> barswap - skill - barswap - skill - barswap......
    Edited by sudaki_eso on August 26, 2019 9:01AM
    PS4 EU - StamDK
  • Narvuntien
    Narvuntien
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I apparently I am a weirdo and I still use the default " ` " key as bar swapping, my mouse has no additional buttons to use.

Because my animation gets stuck about half the time I typically bar swap into block cancel in order to be able use my skills.
  • macsmooth
    macsmooth
    ✭✭✭✭
    Another option if your willing to invest is to buy a elite controller for your console as you can set bar swap to one of the paddles, it takes a few weeks to get use to the paddles but by far the best way to bar swap on console as pushing the stick down can lead to breaking the stick if your heavy handed

You can also set quick action like potions to paddles as well
    Edited by macsmooth on August 26, 2019 10:19AM
  • Dont_do_drugs
    Dont_do_drugs
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    hmm i dislike the button bar swapping had been put on in the base settings. i am left handed and i find pressing that key quite annoying. i am sure most people who use it in their rotation put it on a button on their mouse somewhere close their attack/block keys, i am using the mousewheel down. its definitely easier and more comfortable having it on your mouse. ...

erm and as i read now, you're a consolero....u will most likely also check for a more comfortable button on your controller or whatever you use. bar swap is something u often use for a rotation, so its important to have easy and intuitive access to it.

Edited by Dont_do_drugs on August 26, 2019 11:19AM

Get Stuff like this (but not this stuff)

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

"I have too admit. People leading trade guilds in this game are quite stupid. Not stupid like fools, but stupid like leaders.
    They can only bla-bla and waste gold on feeding their ego. I am disappointed."

Egal, wie gut du Schach spielst, die Taube wird alle Figuren umwerfen, auf das Brett kacken und herumstolzieren, als hätte sie gewonnen.

Arkadius Trade Tools
    Modular framework, now open for authors who want to add own tabs.

My Donation (Arkadius' Trade Tools Addon)
    First external ATT tab contribution.

Port to Friend's House Addon
    Check out the new Port to Friend's House library and port to contributers houses:
    Deutsch | English

• MrBrownstone
    MrBrownstone
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    For PC players, I recommend the Q button if you're an oldschool fps player. That button is the weapon swap button for me
  • Sanctum74
    Sanctum74
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Only in ESO " How do i practice bar swapping ?"

I'm genuinely scared of you leaving your house and interacting with humanity. 🤤

No need to be rude to op, not everyone is at the same level or aware of all the options they have to them. There is nothing wrong with someone willing to learn and practice, that should always be encouraged without trolling.

Some people have problems swapping bar on console because they have to take their finger off the joystick which prevents movement leaving them vulnerable.

Not everyone is aware of key binding on ps4 so it's much easier to be helpful than troll.
  • Major_Lag
    Major_Lag
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No need to be rude to op, not everyone is at the same level or aware of all the options they have to them. There is nothing wrong with someone willing to learn and practice, that should always be encouraged without trolling.
    This.
    sudaki_eso wrote: »
    After playing 4 years i guess you have a rotation when fighting
    One of my friends is a casual ESO player - he's been playing on and off for the last 3-4 years, is around CP400-ish now, and for a very long time didn't even know what a rotation is...
    It's not explained anywhere in-game - and besides, you hardly need a proper rotation to successfully complete overland PvE content. :)

And TBH, I'd much rather run a dungeon with even just one player who is willing to learn and improve, rather than with 3 "light attack heroes" who constantly stand in red and keep dying.
  • JumpmanLane
    JumpmanLane
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

He’s on a controller you nitwit. On xbone controller they put bar swap on the dpad, along with other things like using pots etc. When barswapping it’s possible to activate other things.
  • JumpmanLane
    JumpmanLane
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I’ve been into ESO For 4 years now, first online game I’ve played. I’m definitely a PVE player, but to complete some achievements I really need to get bar-swapping down. Does anybody have advice on how to start and practice? Would it ever be possible for me to single bar endgame content?

Hey OP, I use a xbone controller and what I did was change some of the key bindings so instead of just the left arrow I could hit between left and up which I did most of the time by mistake anyways. I removed or switched the binding that was on the up arrow because I was always accidentally using pots.

I’m not sure exactly what’s where on a PS4 controller but set your bindings so they’re good for you then just bar swap whenever you’re running from one place to the next open world. Like hop, bar swap, hop bar swap. Lol.

Use tWo bars tho. I mean practice on dummies but bar swap just walking around you can do it more. I worked out where i’d Jump, hit volatile, bar swap, jump, hit cauterize barswap, jump hit wings barswap, jump hit cauterize over and over just going from one place to the next.

Good luck.
    Edited by JumpmanLane on August 26, 2019 6:46PM
  • InvictusApollo
    InvictusApollo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Whenever I'm playing with a gamepad I have bar swap on left button (above left trigger). It is the most convenient one.
  • Birdnerdgirl
    Birdnerdgirl
    Soul Shriven
    Thank you so much everyone for the ideas! As I said ESO is my first online game and I love the community vibe (players helping players, etc) - I guess I’ve just learned to play one way and am now trying to learn a new way to be better.

That little gem just made me giggle. It’s a no-brainer to me to ask folks who have knowledge how to learn to do something. If that makes me a drooling troglodyte - oh well! 😉
  • WeylandLabs
    WeylandLabs
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Some people have problems swapping bar on console because they have to take their finger off the joystick which prevents movement leaving them vulnerable.

Not everyone is aware of key binding on ps4 so it's much easier to be helpful than troll.

Stop being the white knight cupcake in here.

I say real things i dont have a filter, you call it being rude, i call it being literate and having common sense.

There are YouTube videos everywhere that will teach you things. I can see if this was towards real life issues of, "how do I file my taxes" or "how do I make a good resume."

But actually reading what keybinding is, or a simple Google search of - Fast Weapon Swap ESO, will tell everything you need to know.

I refuse to help people that can't help themselves in all aspects. It's the equvlient of helping a homeless drug addict or rich spoiled brat vs a single mother working 3 jobs or person with a disability that's still attempts learning bravery.

If you or anyone is insulted by this then you might have a mental illness. Dont argue with me argue with the people that confirms mental illness exsist in gaming.

https://www.who.int/features/qa/gaming-disorder/en/

https://www.nbcnews.com/tech/video-games/video-game-addiction-mental-health-disorder-world-health-organization-says-n1010441

https://www.cdc.gov/pcd/issues/2017/17_0151.htm

Edited by WeylandLabs on August 27, 2019 1:50AM
  • Sanctum74
    Sanctum74
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

I say real things i dont have a filter, you call it being rude, i call it being literate and having common sense.

There are YouTube videos everywhere that will teach you things. I can see if this was towards real life issues of, "how do I file my taxes" or "how do I make a good resume."

But actually reading what keybinding is, or a simple Google search of - Fast Weapon Swap ESO, will tell everything you need to know.

I refuse to help people that can't help themselves in all aspects. It's the equvlient of helping a homeless drug addict or rich spoiled brat vs a single mother working 3 jobs or person with a disability that's still attempts learning bravery.

If you or anyone is insulted by this then you might have a mental illness. Dont argue with me argue with the people that confirms mental illness exsist in gaming.

https://www.nbcnews.com/tech/video-games/video-game-addiction-mental-health-disorder-world-health-organization-says-n1010441

I'm not insulted kid, but maybe it's just time to grow up, you have a history of trolling and not much else so maybe just learn a little courtesy or have enough common sense to not comment in a thread if you have nothing to add other than insults.
  • WeylandLabs
    WeylandLabs
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm not insulted kid, but maybe it's just time to grow up, you have a history of trolling and not much else so maybe just learn a little courtesy or have enough common sense to not comment in a thread if you have nothing to add other than insults.

I'm not insulted "KID" -

Saying kid becuase i play console ? Shows insulting me, thus you being insulted.

"Maybe it's time to grow up" -

Insighting im a child to give yourself validity still is an insulte. And it doesnt challenge factual statements made.

I'm actually a 38 year old business owner, I use my PC for actual work not games. You live your life the way you want, as I do the same.You give this thread a history lesson on me I give them a life lesson on you.

Not everything is cupcakes and rainbows games are suppose to be fun and challenging.

How can any game get better, if players can't think for themselves ?

Answer that Mr Wizard ...

User : Hello I can't seem to move in the game.

ESOForums - Have you tried (x), lists everything in the game it could be but....

Me: Have you tried connecting your keyboard and mouse - or controller ?

User : Yay that fixed it I can't believe I spent 2 days asking people.

Really ?

I mean is this the eso community now ?

And would it be trolling if I decided to ask people a question. That holds that same value as the OP ?

Such as ;

How can I practice Ultimates ?

Or when should I mount ?

Simple questions that 4 year olds asks, Trolling or not it wastes people's time.

If you don't like my comment I really don't care and I'm still going to comment on what ever I see fit. With my honest opinion and no filter.

Drops 🎤

• Sanctum74
    Sanctum74
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

I'm not insulted "KID" -

Saying kid becuase i play console ? Shows insulting me, thus you being insulted.

Insighting im a child to give yourself validity still is an insulte. And it doesnt challenge factual statements made.

I'm actually a 38 year old business owner, I use my PC for actual work not games. You live your life the way you want, as I do the same.You give this thread a history lesson on me I give them a life lesson on you.

Not everything is cupcakes and rainbows games are suppose to be fun and challenging.

ESOForums - Have you tried (x), lists everything in the game it could be but....

Really ?

And would it be trolling if I decided to ask people a question. That holds that same value as the OP ?

Such as ;

Or when should I mount ?

Simple questions that 4 year olds asks, Trolling or not it wastes people's time.

If you don't like my comment I really don't care and I'm still going to comment on what ever I see fit. With my honest opinion and no filter.

Drops 🎤

Sorry if you're offended by the kid comment, it was just an assumption on my part since you acted like one by trolling someone's thread that was politely asking for help. Regardless op got help and that's all that matters, no more time for cute little "kid" games.

• Beardimus
    Beardimus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

+1 for this. I see you already have been helped but this is a game changer on Xbox too (i used right thumb in, so crouch is switched to D Pad. I don't get how folks play without changing it!! Left thumb stays put!

Welcome to the game etc
    Xbox One | EU | EP
    Beardimus : VR16 Dunmer MagSorc [RIP MagDW 2015-2018]
    Emperor of Sotha Sil 02-2018 & Sheogorath 05-2019
    1st Emperor of Ravenwatch
    Alts - - for the Lolz
    Archimus : Bosmer Thief / Archer / Werewolf
    Orcimus : Fat drunk Orc battlefield 1st aider
    Scalimus - Argonian Sorc Healer / Pet master

Fighting small scale with : The SAXON Guild
    Fighting with [PvP] : The Undaunted Wolves
    Trading Guilds : TradersOfNirn | FourSquareTraders

Xbox One | NA | EP
    Bëardimus : L43 Dunmer Magsorc / BG
    Heals-With-Pets : VR16 Argonian Sorc PvP / BG Healer
    Nordimus : VR16 Stamsorc
    Beardimus le 13iem : L30 Dunmer Magsorc Icereach
  • JumpmanLane
    JumpmanLane
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Well you should get a filter then. If you don’t want to help, don’t help. Dreaming up slick things to say to someone when they have a legit problem (and the default layout on a controller IS a legitimate problem with respect to barswapping) doesn’t make you cool. 😎
  • WeylandLabs
    WeylandLabs
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm not insulted "KID" -

Really ?

Such as ;

Or when should I mount ?

Drops 🎤

Sorry if you're offended by the kid comment, it was just an assumption on my part since you acted like one by trolling someone's thread that was politely asking for help. Regardless op got help and that's all that matters, no more time for cute little "kid" games.

Omg - How are you even still alive in this world. ? 😂

Either your failing at trying to troll me or your a legitimate crazy person. Telling a person that I'm terrified of mental illness should not be classified as trolling.

I cannot act like a troll giving factual statements with actual sources to prove my argument.

Just stop bro your a legendary forum warrior in ESO. I don't want it ruined by your lack of judgment towards this.

Go try to be politically correct toward your crazy forum friends.

• MartiniDaniels
    MartiniDaniels
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just bar swap cancel everything, everyday, everywhere. In your rotation obviously select skills with longest animations to be bar swap canceled. Map bar swap for some convenient button. I for example use Q for this, while consumable is moved to Z and sheathe/unsheathe to ~.
  • ATreeGnome
    ATreeGnome
    ✭✭✭✭

I found bar swapping to be one of the most difficult things when I first started learning how to do a "real" rotation.

I found that the difficulty isn't in just pressing the bar swap button or even which button you use, it's largely about anticipating when you are going to swap and what you will do after that that makes it challenging.

I think the first step is to just write down a static, 2 bar rotation to follow. It needn't be perfect or even particularly complex but it should include multiple abilities on each bar. Once you have this rotation, stick with it. You can make a better one later when you get more comfortable.

Once you have that rotation, practice doing JUST the bar swap parts.

So on a stamina character I might do Light attack > Rapid Strikes > Light attack > bar swap > Arrow Barrage.

Then from the bow bar I probably would do Light attack > Poison Injection > barswap > light attack > Rending slashes.

Once you feel fluid on those pieces of the rotation you can add in the rest of the abilities to link the bar swap parts together.

Practice and patience are the keys to success. Don't be afraid to step through each little bit slowly at first to help you get a feel for it.
  • Blinkin8r
    Blinkin8r
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you wanna get sweaty, get an xbox elite controller and add one of the shadow triggers on the back. Remap the barswap button to that trigger. It's a huge game changer.
    II Blinkin II
    Xbox 1 NA
    "A man without the sauce is lost, but the same man can become lost in the sauce."