The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

DPS Underperformance - Why?

hamgatan
hamgatan
✭✭✭✭✭
I've stayed fairly silent for years on my inability to throw out good / decent DPS.. but It's finally driven me up the wall. Can't sit any longer and not ask why is it so shocking?

I decided to reboot my StamSorc last night (because you know.. meta #yolo) and barely pulled any more than 16K DPS on a 6 Mill Vet Target Skeleton.

I'm at a loss as to why. Help.

I do suffer the Aussie Ping rage. At best I get 280 (maybe 10 less with mudfish). Usually its 300-310 territory. Framerate isn't an issue, I get 100fps easily most of the time (GTX1080).

It's an Orc. Lover Mundus all Divines. Stats are about 14.5k health, 26k stam and 11k'ish mag. Stam Rec is around 1k unbuffed. CP i'll have to check later but i know i have 37 into Piercing and a ton divided between Precise Strikes, Mighty, Master-At-Arms, and Phys Wep Expert

Gear - Running all medium and purple,
5pc Spriggans (Divines) Purple,
5pc Night Mother Gaze (Infused Jewellery - Purple, Gold Wep Dmg Enchant)(DW, 1xAxe Sharpened, 1 x Dagger Nirnhoned)(Bow Nirnhoned)
2pc Selene's (Divines, Med Shoulder, Heavy Helm)

According to /CMX my penetration is sitting at a mean average of 16,500 (this is after NMG Major Fracture is applied)... Weapon Damage buffed with Surge is at around 3900, crit is 45%.

Bar 1 (DW) is Rending, Trap, Rapid Strikes, Soul Split Trap, Surge - Dawnbreaker
Bar 2 (Bow) is Barrage, Ring of Pres, Poison Inj, Hurricane, DD - Atro

I haven't tested this with Arteum Food yet.. But that's next on the agenda. In a group scenario i would swap out NMG for Vicious Ophidian as tank will run fracture anyway. But this is initial skeleton testing solo. Also currently haven't enchanted/poisoned the weapons yet.. i know that'll add a few K DPS but i ran out of time last night doing that part.

I could swap out Surge and run pots to get that Major Brutality and Savagery and maybe stick another skill in there, possibly same with Dark Deal but was using that for Stam sustain and self heal when wandering.

On the surface these stats look great, I don't think I'm having too much trouble with rotation.. Surge, SWAP, Ring of Pres, Barrage, LA, Injection, LA, Hurricane, SWAP, Trap, LA, Soul Split, LA, Rending, LA, Rapid, Rapid, Rapid, LA.... rinse repeat.

Why though.. can't i seem to break 16k on this? It doesn't make mathematical sense? I'm not chasing ridiculous 100k+ DPS, I'd be happy with at least 30.. but why can't I even get there?

Edited by hamgatan on August 22, 2019 12:34AM
PC / NA - 1500 CP
L50 Argonian MagTemplar PvE Healer (US/EP) "Smothers-With-Pillows"
L50 Argonian StamPlar PvE DPS/Solo (US/EP) "The Rusty Argonian Spade"
L50 Khajit StamPlar PvE DPS (US/EP) "Critteh Kitteh"
L50 Khajit MagDK PvE DPS 97k (US/EP) "Snowflake Crusher"
L50 Redguard StamDK PvE Tank (US/DC) "Rampant Rabbit"
L50 Dunmer MagDK PvE DPS (US/DC) "Deep Fried Bin Chicken"
L50 Altmer MagSorc PvE DPS (US/DC) "Acirrum" - The vMA/vvH Potato Sorc
L50 Orc StamSorc PvE DPS (US/AD) "Fraggle Proc"
L50 Altmer MagBlade PvE Healer (US/AD) "Never Goanna Heal You Up"
L20 Redguard StamBlade PvP Tank (US/AD) "Sneak Dogg"
L50 Breton MagWarden PvE Healer (US/EP) "Drunk-The-Koolaid"
L40 Orc StamDen PvE DPS (US/EP) "Fugly Betty"
L50 Breton MagCro PvE DPS (US/DC) "Ivanna Fakakakis"
L50 Redguard StamCro PvE DPS (US/DC) "Skeletons In The Closet"
L50 Dunmer Stam Arcanist PvE DPS 80k (US/EP) "Sends-The-Trout" - 1 Bar Oakensoul
L20 Nord Arcanist PvE Tank (US/EP) "Now Thats a Huge Witch"

Xbox One / NA - 360 CP
L50 Altmer MagBlade (US/AD) "Cork Soaking"
L10 Argonian Templar (US/EP) "Makes-Me-Moist"
L10 Argonian MagDK (US/EP) "<Forced-Name-Change>"
L27 Altmer MagSorc (US/EP) "Sorcie McSorcface"

|GM - The Bin Chicken Alliance | Aussie Dragon Slayers | Aedra | The Skooma Emporium | The Bus | The Bounty Hunters Guild |
  • Juhasow
    Juhasow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Posting cmx parse screenshot or even eso log link to Your parse would hjelp a lot in determining in detail why Your numbers are so low.
  • hamgatan
    hamgatan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Juhasow wrote: »
    Posting cmx parse screenshot or even eso log link to Your parse would hjelp a lot in determining in detail why Your numbers are so low.

yep will get one up tonight to show when i'm home from work.
    PC / NA - 1500 CP
    L50 Dunmer Stam Arcanist PvE DPS 80k (US/EP) "Sends-The-Trout" - 1 Bar Oakensoul

Xbox One / NA - 360 CP

|GM - The Bin Chicken Alliance | Aussie Dragon Slayers | Aedra | The Skooma Emporium | The Bus | The Bounty Hunters Guild |
  • VaxtinTheWolf
    VaxtinTheWolf
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are certainly some refinements that could be made here. The thing is, I prefer tanking and healing so I don't have to be so bothered with the absolute DPS I am able to achieve. I may not be the best resource for improving your DPS. I'm still adjusting my active characters after the recent patch though, And I did throw together some basic gear for my Khajiit Dragonknight earlier today that's still basically a fresh lv50. The weapons he uses are Dual Wield and Two Handed.

After a figuring out a rotation for myself I managed to get 26k a few times, without using an execute, no crafted potions, and without access to barbed trap or the Fighters Guild ultimate. So with ping/latency concerns aside, I do believe you should probably be just as capable of reaching that yourself.

If you do still have questions, I can give a little advice in general, should it be any help with your issue.
    || AD - Rah'Jiin Lv50 Khajiit Nightblade (Damage) || EP - Generic Argonian Lv50 Argonian Nightblade (Tank) || DC - Zinkotsu Lv50 Breton Nightblade (Healer) ||
    || DC - Ja'Kiro Feral-Heart Lv50 Khajiit Dragonknight (Damage) || EP - VaxtinTheWolf Lv50 Redguard Templar (Tank) || AD - Velik Iranis Lv50 Dark Elf Sorcerer (Tank ) ||
    || EP - Einvarg The Frozen Lv50 Nord Warden (Tank/Healer) || EP - Keem-Ja Lv4 Argonian Necromancer (Healer/Tank) ||
    PC - North American Server (Champion 1300+)
  • hamgatan
    hamgatan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    OK Updated Info. I just ran a parse.. Since the above, I have added Ravage Health IX poisons to the Dual Wield, Weapon Damage Enchant on the bow, running Arteum food now. Also i dropped Surge, slotted Trapping Webs instead and combined that into the rotation.

This is the last parse. Just a smidge under 20k. Better but still not where I want to be.

target-skeleton-stamsorc01.png

This is the Build Info

stamsorc-buildstats.png

I noticed I'm overpenetrating now also due to the addition of Minor Fracture from the poison being applied.

PC / NA - 1500 CP

Xbox One / NA - 360 CP

• Sav
    Sav
    I would take some points from Mighty and put them into Thaumaturge. At a certain point in cp point allocation, you get lower percentage increases so those points can be put to better use. Since you have decent crit, you can run the Shadow Mundus for extra crit damage. You just have to practice the rotation for a bit to get used to it.
  • kylewwefan
    kylewwefan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Prepare to get shredded.

Bow is wrong trait leading to very low berserker enchant uptime. Should be infused.

Cp is not big time not right.

Is that nirnhoned dagger on main hand?

Bloodthirsty jewelry over infused helped bump me up a bit.

The atro Ult is not very good for you it looks. I’d use like Dawnbreaker or something else maybe.

Circle of protection?

Trapping webs?

• Idinuse
    Idinuse
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    First of all gold your weapons if you are certain you'll stick to them. This alone makes a noticeable difference.
    Edited by Idinuse on August 22, 2019 11:48AM
    Sed ut perspiciatis unde omnis iste natus error sit voluptatem accusantium dolorem que laudantium, totam rem aperiam, eaque ipsa quae ab illo inventore veritatis et quasi architecto beatae vitae dicta sunt explicabo. Nemo enim ipsam voluptatem quia voluptas sit aspernatur aut odit aut fugit, sed quia consequuntur magni dolores eos qui ratione voluptatem sequi nesciunt. Neque porro quisquam est, qui dolorem ipsum quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non numquam eius modi tempora incidunt ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem. Ut enim ad minima veniam, quis nostrum exercitationem ullam corporis suscipit laboriosam, nisi ut aliquid ex ea commodi consequatur? Quis autem vel eum iure reprehenderit qui in ea voluptate velit esse quam nihil molestiae consequatur, vel illum qui dolorem eum fugiat quo voluptas nulla pariatur?
  • hamgatan
    hamgatan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    kylewwefan wrote: »
    Prepare to get shredded.

Bow is wrong trait leading to very low berserker enchant uptime. Should be infused.

Cp is not big time not right.

Is that nirnhoned dagger on main hand?

Bloodthirsty jewelry over infused helped bump me up a bit.

The atro Ult is not very good for you it looks. I’d use like Dawnbreaker or something else maybe.

Circle of protection?

Trapping webs?

Someone else suggested that in DM to me as well, I'll go decon that one later tonight and get my crux back.. Infused with wep dmg is on agenda.

Suggestions on the CP front? Didn't realise I didn't whack anything into thauma as mentioned above.. maybe 50 mighty, 50 thauma?

Yes nirn dagger on offhand, sharpened axe on main. Have also had the suggestion to drop the axe and go another dagger or sword.

I did craft one bloodthirsty neck to test with as well but platings are fricking expensive ATM :(

Yeah atro isn't hitting well I'll agree.. swap out...

Circle is for stam regeneration. Trapping was just another dot I threw in to fill a skill slot
    Edited by hamgatan on August 22, 2019 11:48AM
    PC / NA - 1500 CP

Xbox One / NA - 360 CP

• kylewwefan
    kylewwefan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I’m on PS4, we don’t have the new patch til next week. And it will probably take me a month after that to figure things out a bit better. But I do know this much:

You want the nirnhoned dagger on your main hand and the bow should be infused. dagger in offhand is going precise now but Sharp is probably still good too.

Uhm, don’t bother Golding anything out just yet; you might want to consider changing gears around a bit.

You may have a bit too much penetration going on now, I dont know? I’m not super familiar with Sorc and I know some things changed this patch.

Since you’re not using Maelstrom Weapons, Meta “Type” build, things are going to be quite different I would think.

The circle is gonna cost you way more to throw down than it’s gonna give you back.

I’d check Xynode, maybe Dottz, Fear Turbo or even Alcast websites. The CP setups will be better. Alcast is like hardcore meta, so might not be good for you. Xynode is kind of off the wall stuff that works.

Any ways, they can explain stuff a bit better.
  • zvavi
    zvavi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nirn should be on main hand. The offhand weapon adds a relatively low amount of damage. As others already said, gold weapons, more cp into places with little cp in, (remember that if it says 12.08% and 12.98% it is essentially the same, it rounds down to 12% in both cases, so dont waste cp)
    Last but not least, your dot uptime is low. And la per parse (160 light attacks in 300 seconds is not good, but i wouldn't call it bad either.)

On another note, death to the Stormcloaks.
    Edit: ye circle of protection is silly, it ain't worth the stam regen. Let healers heal.
    Edited by zvavi on August 22, 2019 12:16PM
  • hamgatan
    hamgatan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Changed to Infused bow with gold Wep Dmg enchant and dropped the axe for another dagger (Sharpened), moved the nirn one to the main hand.

First parse with the Lover

lover-parse.png

And a second parse after changing to the Shadow.

shadow-parse.png

Higher even though I've lost the pen.. mmm
    PC / NA - 1500 CP

Xbox One / NA - 360 CP

• aleksandr_ESO
    aleksandr_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    low uptime of pots in your parse. It should be 100% but you have 67%. Don't slack it.
  • Harrdarrzarr
    Harrdarrzarr
    ✭✭✭
    Do you have point spend into the alchemy passive Medicinal Use? That passive makes your potions last longer.
  • hamgatan
    hamgatan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do you have point spend into the alchemy passive Medicinal Use? That passive makes your potions last longer.

I'll double check. I can't recall.. was an old char I dusted off for sh*ts and giggles.. I've got 45 sec or so though on the pots
    PC / NA - 1500 CP

Xbox One / NA - 360 CP

• kylewwefan
    kylewwefan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Next is the test was 258 seconds and there is only 112 light attacks. So, if you can double the light attacks it should maybe get you more damage.

Then, you mentioned getting minor fracture from your poisons. Uhm, for DPS I think they use double dot damage poisons using fleshy larve, nirnroot, and something else. Maybe nightshade?

Then, when people parse on the dummy it’s common to use the Lava Stomp max Stam/ regen food. To help with sustain and not have to heavy attack.

Did you switch your cp’s Around yet? 56 and 66 are the magic numbers that stick out in my head. And probably around 30 or so into penetration.
  • malistorr
    malistorr
    ✭✭✭✭
    You guys mentioned over-penetrating. Is there an add-on to see that? I can't find one that shows me my spell penetration and works post-Scalebreaker.
  • Koensol
    Koensol
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Take a look at this page: https://alcasthq.com/eso-stamina-sorcerer-build-pve/

It has all the info you need. Including bar setup and rotation.

Other important points:
    - Your dot uptime seems very low. You shouldn't let endless hail fall off and uptime should be above 90% (it is the main thing that keeps your infused berserk enchant proccing.
    - Same thing with weapon power + crit pots tbh. 68% uptime is way too low and a massive dps loss. Drop surge in favor of these pots and make sure to get lvl 3 in the alchemy passive that increases potion effect duration.
    - Slot bound armaments on both bars for the regen buff and passives. Remove trapping webs and darkdeal.
    - Work on higher number of la weaves.
    - Make sure you have all necesary passives (check alcast page I linked). Especially undaunted passives are good.
    - I wouldn't use NMG outside of dummy parse as it applies the same debuff as the tank with his pierce armor skill. Rather get some hundings to go with spriggan for starters.
    - Use normal double dot poisons.

Overall though your rotation and buff/dot uptime needs work. Rotation is where most of the dps comes from. The rest of the details you can find in alcast site.
  • OG_Kaveman
    OG_Kaveman
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    your nirn dagger in the wrong hand, put it in the main hand.

then get rid of trapping wed. use bound armor.

front bar look like this-

bound armaments -barbed trap- hurricane-rending slashes- flurry- ulti flawless dawnbreaker, is better then the lightning atro, 3% weapons damage vs only 2% from sorc passives

back bar

power surge, soul trap, dark deal, poison injection, arrow barrage., ulti atro.

now you put soul trap/poison injection and barrage on your back bar because they are all 10 seconds. your front bar is 20 secon/15/10.

so the rotation would look like this, light attacks in between of course-

soul trap->poison injection->arrow barrage, swap anicancel, rending->hurricane-> barbed trap-> flurry->flurry>flurry, swap back to reapply your dots, buffs as necessary if you use them.
    Edited by OG_Kaveman on August 22, 2019 4:35PM
  • magictucktuck
    magictucktuck
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    hamgatan wrote: »
    Changed to Infused bow with gold Wep Dmg enchant and dropped the axe for another dagger (Sharpened), moved the nirn one to the main hand.

First parse with the Lover

lover-parse.png

And a second parse after changing to the Shadow.

shadow-parse.png

Higher even though I've lost the pen.. mmm

Because over pen is bad, you get nothing for it they are already 0

EDIT: also in groups you need even less penn because they will be debuffed from multiple sources. assuming people are running effective builds
    Edited by magictucktuck on August 22, 2019 4:24PM
    PC-NA

Necromancer

Flawless Conqueror

https://www.magictucktuck.com for my builds and guides!
  • And0ssus
    And0ssus
    ✭✭✭
    @kylewwefan light Attacks are 180 (112 DW and 68 Bow). Yeah Could be more but could be way worse.

Overall, are your skills all fully leveld Up? Because CMX Shows you are using Poison Arrow. Try to Level it and Morph it into Poison Injection. If U havent leveld up all your skills u are waisting a Lot of dmg.

Monsterset wise you should Switch to Kra'gh. You can also still use Velidreth or Stormfist. But all 3 should Work better than Selene. Because U can only procc Selene with your Loadout with Light Attacks and Rendering Slashes (First Direct Dmg Hit) on the Stamsorc. As far as i know Flurry cant procc it because its considerd a dmg over time Attack (Same Like jabs for templar).
    CP ist another Thing. I would Go with 56 in mighty, around 60ish (around 56-66) in percise strikes, same for thaumaturg. If U Go with Shadow u need 60 Points in Piercing. If u choose to Go with Kra'gh, u need of course a little bit less (First Bonus). The rest you can put into master at Arms (should be around 37-40).

Did i saw it right? Did you use the DW Ult? Go for Bow Ult or Attro on Backbar (active) and dawnbreaker on Frontbar (passive).

Whats your Rotation atm? Maybe you have a little bit Work to do with that.
    Edited by And0ssus on August 22, 2019 7:00PM
  • BooPerScOOper
    BooPerScOOper
    ✭✭✭
    Your Penn should be between 5.5K -7K group stuff. 10K for solo is good. Stack the rest into wep dmg. Hundings/Spriggans is a good starting point. Rotation is the biggest factor.
  • hamgatan
    hamgatan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    And0ssus wrote: »
    Overall, are your skills all fully leveld Up? .

No and I know that's going to affect it a bit. Almost there though.. L9 Fighters Guild (so almost Dawnbreaker time), On Poison Arrow IV now, nearly there for Inj, still not there for Bound Armor either (5 or so levels to go). Ill go get them all up to speed and run another parse

PC / NA - 1500 CP

Xbox One / NA - 360 CP

• hamgatan
    hamgatan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    thank you for all help so far. I just cracked 30K.

tried Kragh for a bit, but went back to Selene.. ended up getting 2K more DPS from it. found i had a med selene helm somewhere too albeit it is sturdy (will transmute later).

Went and grinded out the skills (poison injection now... dawnbreaker... upgraded to greater storm atro... slotted bound arma on both bars...)... almost at bow 50 now to see if the Bow ulti does more than DB/GSA. running dual dot poisons now.

i think the only place to go from here might be rotation prac (getting it quite tight though) and swapping out NMG for something like VO or Rele..

if i can get it to sit 35-40 in a group with that swapped in i will be fairly happy with that.
    PC / NA - 1500 CP

Xbox One / NA - 360 CP

• MrBrownstone
    MrBrownstone
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah definitely swap NMG. It's a pretty bad set as that debuff can be applied easily. Maybe get a friend to fracture the dummy while you parse. That setup is Alcast's beginner setup and your cp is too high to be considered a beginner :D

Replacing NMG with Relequen will provide a huge dps boost.

Upgrading armor & jewelry from epic to legendary increases their stats for about 5% but upgrading your weapons increases their stats about 18-20% so it's a priority to use Legendary quality weapons. I don't recommend upgrading the NMG ones as they're gonna be replaced.

You're probably gonna have to change your whole setup because Relequen is better used as a body set so you should get Briarheart weapons.

Other than that, pretty good job so far. You increased your dps by more than 50% in this thread, congrats.
    Edited by MrBrownstone on August 23, 2019 5:25AM
  • MartiniDaniels
    MartiniDaniels
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Amazing thread. It proves how much correct composition of gear/traits means.
  • hamgatan
    hamgatan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just reshuffled gear around in preparation for that (will have to farm out Rele on the weekend, only have 3 pieces I think)

Gold Spriggans Neck + Rings
    Gold Spriggans Daggers (Sharpened + Precise, will have to transmute when I've got more Crystals)
    Gold Spriggans Bow (Infused Wep Dmg Enchant)

Gold Hundings 5pc Med Divines

Stamina buffed now is around 39K. I am having a bit of sustain issues, so will need to work around those.

29K for a 6 mill parse at the moment. Thats without Major Fracture that I was getting from NMG. Hopefully tonight I can drag someone into my house (not in a Jeffrey Dahmer type of way..) to assist with that.
    PC / NA - 1500 CP

Xbox One / NA - 360 CP

• hamgatan
    hamgatan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    OK so moving on from that - changed up two more things on the weekend. Didn't get a chance to sit down and farm Rele gear as I went away for most of the weekend.. But..

Did the epic 1-50 Alchemy grind... well for all 2 minutes of it anyway and threw the points into medicinal use.

Also changed the morph from Arrow Barrage to Endless Hail to extend out the duration.

30.5K Parse, no fracture.. and sustain was a LOT better this time round.
    PC / NA - 1500 CP

Xbox One / NA - 360 CP

• BooPerScOOper
    BooPerScOOper
    ✭✭✭
    If you start picking up Briarheart pieces DO NOT pay for the daggers.. There is a quest in Wrothgar that you can get a dagger from. do it on multiple characters. It's called Where Loyalty Lies. Location: Frozen Fleet, Smuggler’s Bolt.. You will have to transmute them..
  • hamgatan
    hamgatan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just gave it it's first actual real-world test not on a dummy. Was hard to get a good parse as it was a normal Pug and tank couldn't keep bosses still.. but still.. this happened.

bhhaven-stats.png

Weapon damage on DW bar shot to 5K+ self buffed - CMX parse showed it maxed out at almost 5.9K at one point. Crit unbuffed in that, but was about 60% with Pots active

Pulled 29K on captain Blackheart, but hit 38k easily on the Wraith just before him. I have a gut feeling this can go a lot higher..
    Edited by hamgatan on August 26, 2019 3:03PM
    PC / NA - 1500 CP

Xbox One / NA - 360 CP

• BooPerScOOper
    BooPerScOOper
    ✭✭✭
    Congrats... good job...