The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Stamina Regen While Blocking (Poll)

MashmalloMan
MashmalloMan
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭
Proposition:
Instead of 0% Stamina Recovery during block/dodge roll/sprint, reduce Stamina Recovery by -50%. Adjust block cost accordingly.
  • If you answered no, please explain why you think it would be an issue. If you answer yes, what -% reduction to recovery do you feel is a safe balance?

Correct me if I’m wrong, but I’m pretty sure this game had Stamina Recovery during these actions before, but perma blocking was an issue at the time, so they opted to completely cut it off. I’d ask that they go back to that subject, increase block cost to offset the increased sustain.

Context:
This poll is mainly about the state of Medium Armor in PVP and the incentives to use it over Heavy, NOT the state of Stamina Meta vs Magicka Meta as a whole.

I want to make that focus clear as this is not a Buff Medium armor thread for the sake of it over performing. I understand it would change a lot in the game, but Stamina Recovery is not only useful to Medium Armor, it just works better like Magicka Recovery to Light Armor.

There's many changes coming and I'm sure a lot of people will switch from Heavy, so I understand we should let things marinate, that being said, there has always been an underlying issue when it comes to the Stamina Recovery Stat and it's Synergy with Medium Armor Passives, as well as the entire game.

Stamina Recovery is cut off during combat actions, as a result, the stat feels weaker. Compare Medium Armor sustain to Heavy Armor's "Constitution" passive and a direct comparison (same numbers) to Light Armor's "Recovery" passive. It shows the issue between them. It’s personally why I find Heavy easier to use in PVP, not only because of it's off resource sustain, but because I no longer need to slot as much Magicka Recovery and therefore can stack more damage.

You have a passive in Medium Armor telling you to invest in to Stamina Recovery for sustain and another that reduces Dodge Roll Cost and Increases Sprint Speed, these passives conflict with one another because of the mechanics behind Stamina Recovery. If your in active combat, you can bet you’re not sprinting or else your Stamina Recovery means nothing.

Another issue with this mechanic is with tanking in pve for some classes that don’t have sustain tools while blocking like DK. Another big reason DK Tanks are so great.. Using Sorc as an example, you have a passive that increases Stam/HP recovery by 20% with a Daedric ability slotted. The 2 obvious answers to get this passive are attached to “Tanking” abilities. Bound Armor for +36% block mitigation when cast or Clanfear, their tank burst heal, except Stam Recovery and frankly HP recovery do nothing to help the tank. This feels like it was originally there to offer tanks some sustain while blocking, with the -15% cost reduction to skills after blocking being tacked on in Morrowind. That passive is not enough and Dark Deal cuts off blocking.
Edited by MashmalloMan on July 31, 2019 10:08PM
PC Beta - 1900+ CP

Stam Sorc Khajiit PvE/PVP Main || Stam Sorc Dark Elf PvP ||
Stam Templar Dark Elf || Stam Warden Wood Elf || Stam DK Nord || Stam Necro Orc || Stam Blade Khajiit

Mag Sorc High Elf || Mag Templar High Elf || Mag Warden Breton || Mag Necro Khajiit || Mag Blade Khajiit

Stamina Regen While Blocking (Poll) 41 votes

Yes
26%
SolarikenKesstrylmustangmorgan31ZeroXFFKingExecrationMashmalloManAbhayamd3788Appocalikush51Araneae6537 11 votes
No
63%
Animal_Motherkypranb14_ESOkari-pekka.hamalaineneb17_ESOChrlynschTBoisSanctum74NefasAnyronAcadianPaladinRungarmikemaconJierdanitoXI_Viper_IXoTheUndeadAmuletJobooAGSRaammzzaaJidorahccmedaddyburty61Thanatos_inside 26 votes
Other
9%
glauciocharaoMehrunesFlagonWildRaptorXUrzigurumash 4 votes
  • Rungar
    Rungar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    stam players would blockcast everything forever.

isnt that why they got rid of it?
    It's 0.0666 of a second to midnight.

Rungar's Mystical Emporium
  • MashmalloMan
    MashmalloMan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    Rungar wrote: »
    stam players would blockcast everything forever.

isnt that why they got rid of it?

Not sure. Curious if anyone could find the original intent of the change in some note.

If you increased block cost to offset that issue, you wouldn't have to worry about that problem.

Stamina Recovery requires investment. It's not like someone walking around at Block Speed with a crap load of Stamina Recovery stacked would be very strong, they're sacrificing crucial defensive or offensive statistics to do so which is the exact same as perma block troll tanks. You just ignore them, except a Medium Armor Stam Rec stacker would have way less mitigation.
    PC Beta - 1900+ CP

Stam Sorc Khajiit PvE/PVP Main || Stam Sorc Dark Elf PvP ||
    Stam Templar Dark Elf || Stam Warden Wood Elf || Stam DK Nord || Stam Necro Orc || Stam Blade Khajiit

Mag Sorc High Elf || Mag Templar High Elf || Mag Warden Breton || Mag Necro Khajiit || Mag Blade Khajiit
  • Abhaya
    Abhaya
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    @Rungar the only people that can sustain that have to build for it which comes at a cost. Perma-block tanks aren’t much of a threat to anyone.

I support this change on the condition that block costs are changed to compensate for the stamina regen being enabled again. It would benefit pretty much every build and I don’t see any problems as long as it is designed in a way that doesn’t allow typical dps builds to block cast forever as Rungar said.

Currently it is punishing to block in medium or light as it completely cuts any regen. Even if it is a brief block to counter a dizzy swing or meteor you are losing potentially 3.999 seconds of regen if you block right before when you would have gotten a stamina tick and then add another 2 seconds from when the block is released (I think this is how it works but could be wrong.) Allowing part of the regen to continue would prevent you from completely losing 1-2 regen ticks for a quick reactionary block.
    Abhaya - PC NA - Ebonheart Pact
    Stam Sorc 2-Hand / Bow Build: https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Special:EsoBuildData?id=169103
  • Stellarvorous
    Stellarvorous
    ✭✭✭
    No
    As a stamn player my self I have to agree with @Rungar on this one you give these heavy armor builds the ability to regen stamn *while* blocking and we wont go 3 mins before we instantly regret it.

Only fair play for the counter argument I could possibly suggest is reduce the cost of blocking on top of what it currently is so folks who want to do that sort of thing can do it *somewhat* better but not so good every thumbless potato with tape on their mouse can do it. >:)

I like to think my self a fair and reasonable person *sometimes* while I understand some folks like that playstyle and some don't I do believe everyone should be able to play how they want to a certain level of effectiveness but by no means do I want to go into cyrodil and see an army of perma blocking tanks chasing me around.

id rather see a handful of known good players who can pull it off and make it work for them and keep it moderated then a bunch of randoms doing it because they can youtube and copy other folks ideas but then I am Final Form Mr Potato Head yal decide for your selves

• SodanTok
    SodanTok
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    It is good change but with potential to spiral out of control like mentioned above. It would be better if blocking had stacking debuff on regen. Going -10% every 0.25s (I think thats current cooldown on block ticks)
  • Solariken
    Solariken
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    I'd like full regen on block with a ramping cost on successive blocks (like Streak).
  • Urzigurumash
    Urzigurumash
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other
    As a Heavy armor S&B user of course I would enjoy this, however, since the main goal is to improve the attractiveness of Medium in CP Cyrodiil, I think the relationship of Sprinting / Roll-Dodging and Stam Regen deserves more attention than Blocking. Certainly, it would be a little silly if Medium became the superlative choice for sustaining block.

Edit: Like I and others have said in other threads, all these discussions are getting a bit ahead of ourselves, assuming the buff to Vigor goes live.
    Edited by Urzigurumash on August 1, 2019 12:30AM
    Xbox NA AD / Day 1 ScrubDK / Wood Orc Cuisine Enthusiast
  • Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Talking about Stam regen while blocking?

yMpyAIe.jpg
  • MehrunesFlagon
    MehrunesFlagon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other
    Make the no stamina recovery while blocking tied to heavy armor 5 pieces +.Make medium armor regen stam while blocking 100%.
  • Ajax_22
    Ajax_22
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Correct me if I’m wrong, but I’m pretty sure this game had Stamina Recovery during these actions before, but perma blocking was an issue at the time, so they opted to completely cut it off. I’d ask that they go back to that subject, increase block cost to offset the increased sustain.

Yes you use to be able to regen during block, and dodge roll. They changed it when a large portion of the population got higher CP. The original CP system made it really easy to create a perma block, or dodge roll build.