Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Why do we always have to do everything ourselves?

Aigym_Hlervu
Aigym_Hlervu
✭✭✭✭✭
I understand it is just a game mechanic, so it's just for fun: since the town guards are so extremely tough and undying, why don't we involve a couple of them to retrieve our stolen souls and to beat all the crap out of Molag Bal instead of doing all the work ourselves? Guards are the specially trained people though, why not? At least their lore dialogues completely fit each other. Or they're just too busy watching a scum? Who else of the NPC you think could do the job?

A Khajiiti guard versus Molag Bal:
- All of Nirn shall be mine!
- Please don't make this one get his fur dirty! Not for one so pathetic as you. Just pay your bounty.
- I am the face of pain! The souls of the damned are my weapons! You will know eons of suffering!
- Where do you run, dung-eater? There's nowhere you can hide from me!
Or
- Kneel before me and submit to the power of Molag Bal!
- You don't look violent. That's good, as this one prefers to deal with civilized scoundrels.
- Wretched mortals. Worms.
- This one thanks you for your cooperation. Go away now, smelly one!

A Dunmeri guard versus Molag Bal:
- I am God of Oblivion! You are less than nothing!
- You're just another lowlife fetcher who broke the law and got caught. Now you have to pay.
- No! You cannot do this! I cannot fail!
- Hmm. Pleasure doing business. Now get lost, scum.

An Argonian guard versus Molag Bal:
- I give you one chance to surrender... surrender to your death.
- You give me gold, I make this go away. Just don't ask what the money's for.
- Worm! You accomplish nothing.
- This will cost you, vermin. You can't outrun the wamasu!
Edited by Aigym_Hlervu on July 31, 2019 1:47PM
  • TheShadowScout
    TheShadowScout
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Unfortunately, Molag Bal can claim diplomatic immunity, and thus the guards are not allowed to touch him! And that is why they need to send a vestige and such... :p;):lol:
  • Danikat
    Danikat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    c57.jpg
    PC EU player | She/her/hers | PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

"Remember in this game we call life that no one said it's fair"
  • Danikat
    Danikat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    A Dunmeri guard versus Molag Bal:
    - I am God of Oblivion! You are less than nothing!
    - You're just another lowlife fetcher who broke the law and got caught. Now you have to pay.
    - No! You cannot do this! I cannot fail!
    - Hmm. Pleasure doing business. Now get lost, scum.

This one actually works really well. Someone please make a video version!
    PC EU player | She/her/hers | PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

• Katahdin
    Katahdin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Game would get pretty boring if we just sat around letting the npcs do everything

Might as well watch TV
    Beta tester November 2013
  • JKorr
    JKorr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Katahdin wrote: »
    Game would get pretty boring if we just sat around letting the npcs do everything

Might as well watch TV

One small exception; when we are forced because "story" to haul along a companion [Abner, Lyris, Sai] I would be thrilled beyond belief if they would kill *just* *one* *enemy*. I don't believe I've ever seen them kill anything; keep it occupied until my character kills her current opponent and runs over to help, yes. Actually kill an enemy on their own? No.
  • Ekadzati
    Ekadzati
    ✭✭✭

Might as well watch TV

Don't know if you realize it, but this is precisely what's happening with Twitch/YouTube and this game.... only it's soft celebrities rather than NPCs.
    Registration date: November 2013
    Geek since 1974.
    Girl Gamer since 1976.
    Granny since 2014.
    Gut shooter since forever.
    Don't say you weren't warned.
    (Now where's my cane and why are you on my lawn?)

• mairwen85
    mairwen85
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Kassandra asks us to look for information, right next to her...
  • Androconium
    Androconium
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Danikat wrote: »
    c57.jpg

pretty sure that 'arrow to the knee' is a euphemism for 'got married'.
  • Danikat
    Danikat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Might as well watch TV

I can't remember which game it was but there was one quest in an RPG I played a few years ago where an NPC asks you to look after their stuff while they go and find things they dropped when monsters chased them and your character is really happy that finally someone wants them to stand around and wait while the NPC does the fetch quest!

Then of course the monsters which were chasing them show up and you have to fight them off while the NPC has a peaceful walk retrieving their stuff.

• Katahdin
    Katahdin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ekadzati wrote: »

Might as well watch TV

Don't know if you realize it, but this is precisely what's happening with Twitch/YouTube and this game.... only it's soft celebrities rather than NPCs.

I suppose that's pretty accurate, however I dont enjoy watching other people play the game unless I'm trying to figure out how to do hard content (ie vMA). I want to play it myself.
    Beta tester November 2013
  • Ekadzati
    Ekadzati
    ✭✭✭
    Ekadzati wrote: »

Might as well watch TV

I suppose that's pretty accurate, however I dont enjoy watching other people play the game unless I'm trying to figure out how to do hard content (ie vMA). I want to play it myself.

Actually, I watch PvP and Dungeon streams precisely because I will never see that content.

(I will never see that content because it requires more physical and reflex than my neuropathy will allow. Also, I cannot afford multi-million gold carries. Sucks to be me, but at least I can watch other people do them.)
    Registration date: November 2013
    Geek since 1974.
    Girl Gamer since 1976.
    Granny since 2014.
    Gut shooter since forever.
    Don't say you weren't warned.
    (Now where's my cane and why are you on my lawn?)

• Aigym_Hlervu
    Aigym_Hlervu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    c57.jpg

Damn.. This is bad. I don't want to become a town guard after Saving Nirn and retiring. So this is how the country honours its heroes :D..
  • Dusk_Coven
    Dusk_Coven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I understand it is just a game mechanic, so it's just for fun: since the town guards are so extremely tough and undying, why don't we involve a couple of them to retrieve our stolen souls and to beat all the crap out of Molag Bal instead of doing all the work ourselves?

A post like this obviously stems from a misunderstanding of law.
    First of all, dropping your belongings on the ground (e.g., the odd planar anchor here and there, or a dolmen treasure chest) is NOT a crime! Trying to pick up someone else's belongings IS a crime however!
    Second, if you TRESPASS on someone's home (e.g., their plane of oblivion), YOU are the outlaw! And while you are in a trespass zone you are subject to kill on sight!

So, uh, I'd rather NOT have a guard there messing me up.
    Edited by Dusk_Coven on July 31, 2019 6:59PM
  • Aigym_Hlervu
    Aigym_Hlervu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dusk_Coven wrote: »
    A post like this obviously stems from a misunderstanding of law.
    First of all, dropping your belongings on the ground (e.g., the odd planar anchor here and there) is NOT a crime!
    Second, if you TRESPASS on someone's home (e.g., their plane of oblivion), YOU are the outlaw! And while you are in a trespass zone you are subject to kill on sight.

That is correct, @Dusk_Coven, agreed, but this post is all about their toughness and immortality not the law system. That is why am I asking if there are any other NPCs able to do the job. If anyone suits better for it - feel free to point :). I've edited this reply entirely - I have misunderstood your post. My apologies.
    Edited by Aigym_Hlervu on July 31, 2019 8:48PM
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I kind of hate to point out the obvious, but if NPCs were not asking us to do something, we would not have much to do.
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• TheShadowScout
    TheShadowScout
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nestor wrote: »
    I kind of hate to point out the obvious, but if NPCs were not asking us to do something, we would not have much to do.
    -bursts out of coldharbour: "I am free. FREE! Just you wait, Molag Bal, I am coming for you..."

-nearby city guard: "...yer ta late, we gone an' nabbed 'im de odder week fer fivscore count o' dolmen litter an' indecent exposure an' con-spi-ra-zy ta comitt planemeld. 'e's rottin inna cells nau..."

No, agreed, doesn't sound like much of an enjoyable game. :p;):lol:
  • NotaDaedraWorshipper
    NotaDaedraWorshipper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

It isn't. That myth has been debunked several times.
    [Lie] Of course! I don't even worship Daedra!
  • Aigym_Hlervu
    Aigym_Hlervu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nestor wrote: »

Yeah, agree. It's obvious and it's true. I mean when you do, figuratively speaking, a 1001st quest a day due to a lack of time and a wish to complete them all faster you begin to feel yourself like a waterboy eager to jump into any risky venture just to make everybody happy. I hope no misunderstanding occurs here cause the post is based on this idea.

I recall just a few times the game allows us to ask the question clearly. Meridia orders not to question her motives, while Almalexia is a bit more friendly:
    - You're a god. What can I do that you can't?
    - You shall hear, though you shall never speak of it. This enemy uses guile and subterfuge. I need time to understand the threat they pose. My divine defenses have been breached and the Temple has been invaded. I cannot be seen to fail!

She cannot be seen to fail! You see it? What a shy and diffident goddess she turns out to be! Who would have ever thought.. Those quest givers - they are so enfant terrible. They always have problems and shirk them off upon another. "Lift your ass and do something to help yourself!" - I used to think after another 1001st quest taken. I just want my experience, that useless gear as a reward, titles, achievements and my money ;).Yes, money! Give me that huge sum of ~600 gold payment for stopping Molly and saving Nirn so I can spare no expense to gratify my fancies. Well, yes, after all Almalexia named me Her Hand.. But I prefer to make deals after reconciling a certain price for my services otherwise I feel being a charity worker or something.

These moments when the quest givers share their problems I'd sometimes like to have a dialogue line "You're the man! You can go a long way yourself, I have faith in you! Come on!" or "He he! Ha ha! I know the way I can help you, sweet %NPCName! Uncle Sweetshare has candy treats to spare, if you come in search of happiness! Head to his workshop in the snow! With lovely lanterns all aglow! He he! Ha ha!" while saying the one automatically completes a quest and gives a reward :D;).
    Edited by Aigym_Hlervu on July 31, 2019 9:21PM
  • Conduit0
    Conduit0
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    c57.jpg

Nope, there is most certainly a very successful orthopedic doctor somewhere in Skyrim with a well worn bow and quiver tucked away in a closet.