The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29
We will be performing maintenance for patch 10.0.2 on the PTS on Monday at 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC).

Z'en's Redress - Why nerf before testing could even be done?

T3hasiangod
T3hasiangod
✭✭✭✭✭
This set has been broken since 5.1.0, and yet you're planning on nerfing it? Can someone please explain why you felt the need to nerf the set before anyone got to test it? Every single patch iteration since 5.1.0, I've been testing it to see what counts towards proccing the set, and it has always been broken. Why nerf something if you don't even know how well it operates?

Here's the original set:

Z’en’s Redress (Light)
2 – 129 Magicka Recovery
3 – 129 Spell Damage
4 – 1096 Maximum Magicka
5 – Your Light Attacks apply the Touch of Z’en on enemies for 20 seconds. Enemies with the Touch of Z’en take an additional 2% more damage for each damage over time effect you’ve placed on them, up to 10%.

Here's the new set (PTS is still down so just guessing on wording here):

Z’en’s Redress (Light)
2 – 129 Magicka Recovery
3 – 129 Spell Damage
4 – 1096 Maximum Magicka
5 – Your Light Attacks apply the Touch of Z’en on enemies for 20 seconds. Enemies with the Touch of Z’en take an additional 1% more damage for each damage over time effect you’ve placed on them, up to 5%.
PC/NA - Mayflower, Hellfire Dominion

Dro-m'Athra Destroyer - Divayth Fyr's Coadjutor - Voice of Reason - Gryphon Heart - The Unchained - Extinguisher of Flames

Tank - Healer - DPS (all classes, all specs)

Youtube - Twitch
  • YoshinJaa
    YoshinJaa
    ✭✭✭
    I 100% agree with this @T3hasiangod

This set could have brought at least some mag utility to raid compositions (which is much needed) at least where having 1 mag dps would not be shunned (in meta-based comps).

A nerf to the set pretty much puts it in the position where it won't really see benefits. At least change the Mag Recovery if the set goes live like this to Crit/Damage.
    Edited by YoshinJaa on July 29, 2019 9:35PM
  • BeefyMrTips
    BeefyMrTips
    ✭✭✭✭
    This is pretty incredible that you could introduce changes before fixing.

Analogy: let’s slow this car down, it’s too fast. However, the car has never been actually driven once..
    Mr. was my Father's name, just the tips is fine.
  • T3hasiangod
    T3hasiangod
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    And to the surprise of ABSOLUTELY NO ONE...The set still doesn't work.
    PC/NA - Mayflower, Hellfire Dominion

Dro-m'Athra Destroyer - Divayth Fyr's Coadjutor - Voice of Reason - Gryphon Heart - The Unchained - Extinguisher of Flames

Tank - Healer - DPS (all classes, all specs)

Youtube - Twitch
  • Gnortranermara
    Gnortranermara
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    5 – Your Light Attacks apply the Touch of Z’en on enemies for 20 seconds. Enemies with the Touch of Z’en take an additional 1% more damage for each damage over time effect you’ve placed on them, up to 5%.

I didn't see anything about lowering the total cap. I only saw a note that said the bonus per DOT was nerfed from 2% to 1%, not that the total cap was reduced to 5%.

Nerfing the bonus per DOT makes sense to me. It should take a bit of effort to max out the bonus. I hope they didn't nerf the cap, too. :/
  • WrathOfInnos
    WrathOfInnos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I didn't see anything about lowering the total cap. I only saw a note that said the bonus per DOT was nerfed from 2% to 1%, not that the total cap was reduced to 5%.

Nerfing the bonus per DOT makes sense to me. It should take a bit of effort to max out the bonus. I hope they didn't nerf the cap, too. :/

Interesting point, they didn’t actually say they were keeping the limit at 5 DoTs, so it could potentially stay max 10% damage while requiring 10 DoTs to get there. Given the justification of “reducing its overall power in a group setting” I kind of doubt it though. We’ll see what was meant by “adjustments to how it operates”.

Hypothetically, if it did scale up with 10 DoTs, how would we even make use of it? Maybe if it worked on AoE DoTs, but the tooltip implies ST with the words “placed on them”. Best I can see is MagDK;
    1. Engulfing Flames
    2. Burning Embers
    3. Soul Trap
    4. Barbed Trap
    5. Entropy
    6. Shock Reach
    7. Flame Reach
    8. Scalding Rune
    9. Burning (not full uptime)
    10. Poisoned (low uptime, from infused glyph?)

If Wall and Eruption count this becomes a little more achievable. I’m really curious if things like Haunting Curse and Purifying Light will work, since they are placed on the enemy and work essentially like DoTs, just with fewer ticks. Really wish we could test these things... like maybe on some type of test server... over the span of several weeks... and find out how they perform before changing them...
  • TheNightflame
    TheNightflame
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    zos doesn't want groups to coordinate sets outside of support roles. they want dds to wear whatever they want and survive however they want cuz this is dds in pvp online
  • ATreeGnome
    ATreeGnome
    ✭✭✭✭
    Of course they nerfed it. It would have allowed for new and interesting DPS builds that focus on group utility. Like Sunderflame or NMG or Warmachine/Master Architect or every other DPS set that encourages build diversity. ZoS very obviously doesn't like for this kind of set to be viable. You don't have to balance DPS sets if you make only 2 worth running.
  • Gnortranermara
    Gnortranermara
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hypothetically, if it did scale up with 10 DoTs, how would we even make use of it?

I was under the mistaken impression that ally DOT's counted, which would make 1% per DOT fair in a 4-man group. Since it's only DOT's "you've" placed, then you could never achieve 10% on any sort of practical build, even if the cap were 10%.

But the new patch notes are more specific and clear that the cap is now 5%. So the set is even more DOA.
    Edited by Gnortranermara on August 5, 2019 10:06PM