The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
The issue is resolved, and the North American PC/Mac megaserver is now available. Thank you for your patience!
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8100050/#Comment_8100050

Feedback from a New player

maky87
maky87
Soul Shriven
Hello everyone!

Since I was not able to find a 'Suggestions' sub-forum I decided to just make my thread here. I hope that is fine : )

I started playing your game about 3 weeks ago and have loved every minute of it !... so much so that for an initial while I felt very annoyed that I had blindly spent my 15$ a month on another game for the last few years, till some guildies mentioned that ESO was a very different game at launch and that only in the recent year has it become fantastic, that I came in at just the right time heh... Indeed you guys have done a great job.
As stated earlier I've enjoyed everything thusfar, save for one issue... and it's quite a big one. I wasn't going to post complaining about it thinking I'd get used to it but I just can't seem to get past it.

The Trading system that is implemented in this game is not very friendly, to say the least. To search for an item on the server I always have to launch a website, alt+tabbing out of the game, hence pulling me out of the in-game immersion I so cherish, especially in an RPG.
I would like to request the developer team to please incorporate a system where you go to an NPC(s) in the game itself wherein one can search for any item they desire on the entire server. You can still maintain the current method of manually travelling to a given trader where the item is hosted. I feel this would make it so much more player friendly.

Thanks for your time : )
  • desndb
    desndb
    ✭✭✭
    If you are on PC, there's an app for that. Works within the game and everything...
    Just don't ask me what it's called, I'm a PS4 scrub 😋
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You don't need to use a website, unless you want the convenience of figuring out which guild store to go to (possibly, because listings arent always accurate).

ESO's guild trader system just got an item search UI, so what you should be able to do is go to any guild store, search for your item, and then view any listings.

You may have to check multiple guild stores. That's how the guild trader system is designed - add-ons aside, ita not really intended to aggregate all the listings. I like to shop at the major cities like Mournhold, Elden Root, and Wayrest and I'm usually able to find most items there for a reasonable price.
  • Aurie
    Aurie
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well this is the thing.

Addons are not accurate as they take a while to update, so by the time you get to the trader your item may well have already been sold. If it is one in demand it will almost certainly no longer be there.

There are a lot of us who actually hate the inconvenient trader system, and would very much prefer the auction house favoured by most other MMOs. But that is another story, and there are plenty of threads on that subject.

Very glad you are enjoying ESO. It gets better and better as you progress.

It does have its fair share of problems, particularly in the server/performance department....but until you get to endgame, use the Dungeon Finder, or are into PVP you probably won't notice them much. I believe ZOS are in the (slow) process of improving these issues.

I've played a lot of MMOs over the last 15+ years, some of them for several years each. I think ESO is well up there with the best of them.

Have fun :)
    Edited by Aurie on June 9, 2019 2:43PM
  • maky87
    maky87
    Soul Shriven
    You don't need to use a website, unless you want the convenience of figuring out which guild store to go to (possibly, because listings arent always accurate).

ESO's guild trader system just got an item search UI, so what you should be able to do is go to any guild store, search for your item, and then view any listings.

You may have to check multiple guild stores. That's how the guild trader system is designed - add-ons aside, ita not really intended to aggregate all the listings. I like to shop at the major cities like Mournhold, Elden Root, and Wayrest and I'm usually able to find most items there for a reasonable price.

Indeed I meant a universal search and not local guild specific listings, again as is the norm nowadays.
    Aurelle1 wrote: »
    Well this is the thing.

Addons are not accurate as they take a while to update, so by the time you get to the trader your item may well have already been sold. If it is one in demand it will almost certainly no longer be there.

There are a lot of us who actually hate the inconvenient trader system, and would very much prefer the auction house favoured by most other MMOs. But that is another story, and there are plenty of threads on that subject.

Very glad you are enjoying ESO. It gets better and better as you progress.

It does have its fair share of problems, particularly in the server/performance department....but until you get to endgame, use the Dungeon Finder, or are into PVP you probably won't notice them much. I believe ZOS are in the (slow) process of improving these issues.

I've played a lot of MMOs over the last 15+ years, some of them for several years each. I think ESO is well up there with the best of them.

Have fun :)
    Aside from having to launch a browser, what you mentioned in your first line is bothersome as well. Often times I have gone to the addons website, ported to where I needed to be and had the item be already sold.

I guess in this camp of dislking the current trader system.

I agree with you, ESO is definitely up there with the best of them.
    Thank you and everyone else for replying to my thread. I sincerely hope they change it to simpler system.
  • pknecron
    pknecron
    ✭✭✭

See, that's what he wants: To search all traders at once from one spot. Right now, you can only do that with TTC, and only if the person trading also has TTC. I agree with him that a world guild barker that we can search is a great idea.
  • FierceSam
    FierceSam
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hey Maky,

Welcome to ESO. Glad you’re enjoying it..

You are right, it would be great if there were some way to search all guild stores at once in the game..

The more people request this, the more it’s likely to happen.

Have fun

• valkyrie93
    valkyrie93
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    agree, would love to be able to search all traders at one spot to see what the best deals are
    PC EU
  • LennoxPoodle
    LennoxPoodle
    ✭✭✭
    Actually I think the add-ons and websites allowing global search defy the purpose of the guild trading system and make it tedious. The cool thing about it is, that there are multiple markets were supply and demand conditions vary depending on individual conditions, similar to different countries IRL. This could create an interesting multidimensional economic dynamic lacking in conventional systems only being surpassed by locality based system (which in turn require mobility of goods being somehow limited so it's not for ESO). Those external tools equalize everything though.
  • srfrogg23
    srfrogg23
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    maky87 wrote: »
    Hello everyone!

Since I was not able to find a 'Suggestions' sub-forum I decided to just make my thread here. I hope that is fine : )

I started playing your game about 3 weeks ago and have loved every minute of it !... so much so that for an initial while I felt very annoyed that I had blindly spent my 15$ a month on another game for the last few years, till some guildies mentioned that ESO was a very different game at launch and that only in the recent year has it become fantastic, that I came in at just the right time heh... Indeed you guys have done a great job.
    As stated earlier I've enjoyed everything thusfar, save for one issue... and it's quite a big one. I wasn't going to post complaining about it thinking I'd get used to it but I just can't seem to get past it.

The Trading system that is implemented in this game is not very friendly, to say the least. To search for an item on the server I always have to launch a website, alt+tabbing out of the game, hence pulling me out of the in-game immersion I so cherish, especially in an RPG.
    I would like to request the developer team to please incorporate a system where you go to an NPC(s) in the game itself wherein one can search for any item they desire on the entire server. You can still maintain the current method of manually travelling to a given trader where the item is hosted. I feel this would make it so much more player friendly.

The devs are stubbornly devoted to the guild trader system. Don't waste mental energy hoping it will change.

On the plus side, you can create a character that is completely and utterly self-sufficient and still be able to play in all aspects of the game without penalty. It takes time, but it works with the way the progression system is set up. There are no restrictions on crafting specialization or content participation.

Do what I do, ignore the guild traders and you'll enjoy yourself more. That system is there for people who like to play their video games like it's job.
    Edited by srfrogg23 on June 11, 2019 12:33PM
  • THEDKEXPERIENCE
    THEDKEXPERIENCE
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    FierceSam wrote: »
    Hey Maky,

You are right, it would be great if there were some way to search all guild stores at once in the game..

Have fun

Or not. It’s a terrible idea because essentially every video game market is ruined by a global auction house which skyrockets valuable items (hope you enjoy those 100k tempering alloys) and bottoms out anything not deemed vital (oh sweet, now I get to vendor everything).

The OP seems like a nice person and welcome to ESO. You are, however, wrong as is the short sighted person who agreed with you that I quoted.
    Edited by THEDKEXPERIENCE on June 11, 2019 12:47PM
  • Jayman1000
    Jayman1000
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The current system does not allow you to search all guild traders at once. And I for once would like it to stay that way, please dont turn our trader system into an AH like in other MMO's. I really like that we can go to different traders all over the game world to check their stores for items I need, or good deals. Gives me a meaningful reason for me to actually go back to those zones too....

If you need an item may I suggest you visit either Rawl,kha, Grathwood or Wayrest traders? There is almost always the item you need from one of the traders in these trade hubs. (well, at least if you are on NA server, I dont know about EU anymore, long time since I played there. Craglorn used to be a great hub in EU, maybe it still is, idk).
    Edited by Jayman1000 on June 11, 2019 1:17PM
  • Lord_Eomer
    Lord_Eomer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Hello everyone!

Trading system is not improving due to some players (guild owners) making ton of gold out of it

There are many suggestions/threads for having Grand Trade Centre but ZOS is keep ignoring!
    Edited by Lord_Eomer on June 11, 2019 1:15PM
  • Cortimi
    Cortimi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have been talking about this exact same solution to my friends for months. Having an NPC in the major cities that lists the items and prices from all traders is an ideal compromise.

Here's the thing, it would actually INCREASE the value of those remote trader locations. The big cities would still be paying for convenience, since people are lazy and wouldn't want to travel.

The smaller, remote locations though would be much more attractive, as they would have the same visibility as the larger guilds. This would make the prospect of just having "a" trader much more enticing, and would thus generate more bids on smaller locations, thus removing more gold from the server, which is the intent of the current system (have to fight inflation).
    Xbox NA: Soviet Messiah
    EP: Cortimi - Imperial StamDK
    EP: Melga - Orc StamDen (Dah Bear)
    EP: Narileya - Nord StamPlar (Mad cuz Bad)
    EP: Corvaera - Bosmer Orc StamSorc (RIP)

PS4 NA (Retired at CP835): Soviet-Messiah:
    EP: Cortimi - Imperial StamDK
    DC: Melga gra-Antilae - StamDen
    AD: Corvaera - Bosmer StamSorc
    Urvoth wrote: »
    CP is a crutch for people who can’t sustain and want to be "tanky" so they aren’t immediately punished for making mistakes.
  • Veinblood1965
    Veinblood1965
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't forget to go to the horse icon in town each day and train your riding skill. I missed out on that for the first month, sigh.
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    pknecron wrote: »

See, that's what he wants: To search all traders at once from one spot. Right now, you can only do that with TTC, and only if the person trading also has TTC. I agree with him that a world guild barker that we can search is a great idea.

I'm aware that's what the OP wants.

However, ZOS didnt design the trading system that way and aside from allowing TTC (which has obvious issues) ZOS doesnt seem interested in changing the trading system to be what the OP wants.

So I explained how its supposed to work, and honestly, I find it much easier to use without TTC now that ZOS added the item search. I may have to check multiple stores, but that's not usually a problem when I'm checking stores in 3 or 4 locations at most and I usually find reasonable prices or bargains that way with the stores at even one capital city. And I don't have to worry about TTC wild goose chases. I think its much more practical to adapt to how the game is than to hope that ZOS will change it to fit my desires (especially when them seem to really like the spread out guild trader method).

IMO, shopping at multiple stores without TTC works pretty well now that we have an item search. But then, I like randomly browsing and never wanted an auction house or a central listing, so YMMV.
  • LennoxPoodle
    LennoxPoodle
    ✭✭✭
    Hello everyone!

Trading system is not improving due to some players (guild owners) making ton of gold out of it

There are many suggestions/threads for having Grand Trade Centre but ZOS is keep ignoring!

No centralized market please. That creates entirely homogeneous and one dimensional price development. In a system were no one really is aware of everything more heterogeneous stuff can happen.

Also @maky87 What do you think about the overland (mobs + quest bosses, not world bosses, public dungeons or dolmens/geysirs/dragons) difficulty. There is a lengthy discussion going on about that aspect, for which the newbie perspective is very important.
  • Lord_Eomer
    Lord_Eomer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Hello everyone!

No centralized market please. That creates entirely homogeneous and one dimensional price development. In a system were no one really is aware of everything more heterogeneous stuff can happen.

Also @maky87 What do you think about the overland (mobs + quest bosses, not world bosses, public dungeons or dolmens/geysirs/dragons) difficulty. There is a lengthy discussion going on about that aspect, for which the newbie perspective is very important.

Guild Traders are only filling Guild Owners pockets, stop supporting this non-sense.

Even searching particular item in console is still a nightmare, you have to check every 2nd Trader
  • Juju_beans
    Juju_beans
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I felt the same way as the OP when I first started playing.
    I came from wow and was used to the single AH system.

I also used TTC website to find something cheap and then see it was gone when I got there.

So I gave that up and found a few trading hubs where the prices were reasonable and I travel to them and check out the guild traders there and then buy.

Having 8 traders in a hub and 1 or 2 hubs you travel to makes it easier. I really don't need to hunt down the cheapest price.

On the side though I do check out those solitary traders you come across near those out of the way way shrines. You can find some good deals there.
  • Erelah
    Erelah
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hey Maky,

Have fun

Or not. It’s a terrible idea because essentially every video game market is ruined by a global auction house which skyrockets valuable items (hope you enjoy those 100k tempering alloys) and bottoms out anything not deemed vital (oh sweet, now I get to vendor everything).

The OP seems like a nice person and welcome to ESO. You are, however, wrong as is the short sighted person who agreed with you that I quoted.

In this case THEDKEXPERIENCE is wrong. The only thing the current trade system does is make it easier for a small group to manipulate the system. Do you want to sell to those outside your group of friends? Join a trade Union. Lets call them a Guild. Sure on every other MMO a Guild is made up of like minded individuals, who form a community in order to help one another in game activates such as raiding, quests, dungeons, game advice, leading to friendships, but our Trade Unions errm Guilds are for economic purposes. Merchants banding together paying union dues and having quotas in order to sell things they want to both fellow merchants and the local population. At least the other major game did this sort of system before relaunching everyone could have a bazaar without being part of their Company/ Guild system.

But I digress, we were speaking of ease for the user. You are wrong in this as well. Having to travel around various locations does not make it easier for a consumer. I would ask how often do people on these forums search and compare prices when they buy something for themselves online first rather than travel between fifteen different stores in the town they live in? If a anyone does not do that every single time to find the better price than how does one honestly think people are not simply going to the nearest Guild Store and paying whatever they see in most of the big hub locations?
  • Salvas_Aren
    Salvas_Aren
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Hmm, a thank you ZOS topic one day after disaster?

Distraction tactics? :trollface:
  • THEDKEXPERIENCE
    THEDKEXPERIENCE
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hello everyone!

Guild Traders are only filling Guild Owners pockets, stop supporting this non-sense.

Even searching particular item in console is still a nightmare, you have to check every 2nd Trader

I don’t own a trading guild. I never have. But I do make a butt ton of gold by selling, about 200 to 400k per week.

Most of my gold these days is off of triune rings as I’m one of the few XBox PVPers with enough AP to buy dawn prisms who also happens to have a master jewelry crafter. If the global auction house hit either you would bankrupt me or I’d be a billionaire because those rings would go from being sold at the reasonable price of 25K to either near nothing or (if I’m lucky) sky rocket to 100k if not a million each.

You guys act like a global auction would benefit the little guy when in reality within hours of its installation every valuable item on the market would be hoarded by the richest players and reposted for a mighty profit. This is EXACTLY what happens in EA’s Ultimate Team games which is a ridiculously apt comparison to make in this argument.

As for the “nightmare” on console ... please. That’s silly. It takes under 10 minutes to travel to Mournhold, Elden Root and Rwalka and check their half dozen vendors. If it’s not available at one of those 3 there is a 99% chance it’s unavailable anywhere.
  • THEDKEXPERIENCE
    THEDKEXPERIENCE
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Erelah wrote: »
    Hey Maky,

Have fun

In this case THEDKEXPERIENCE is wrong. The only thing the current trade system does is make it easier for a small group to manipulate the system. Do you want to sell to those outside your group of friends? Join a trade Union. Lets call them a Guild. Sure on every other MMO a Guild is made up of like minded individuals, who form a community in order to help one another in game activates such as raiding, quests, dungeons, game advice, leading to friendships, but our Trade Unions errm Guilds are for economic purposes. Merchants banding together paying union dues and having quotas in order to sell things they want to both fellow merchants and the local population. At least the other major game did this sort of system before relaunching everyone could have a bazaar without being part of their Company/ Guild system.

But I digress, we were speaking of ease for the user. You are wrong in this as well. Having to travel around various locations does not make it easier for a consumer. I would ask how often do people on these forums search and compare prices when they buy something for themselves online first rather than travel between fifteen different stores in the town they live in? If a anyone does not do that every single time to find the better price than how does one honestly think people are not simply going to the nearest Guild Store and paying whatever they see in most of the big hub locations?

Well I counter that with ... you’re just wrong. Literally everything you typed is easier to do with a global auction house especially price fixing. You’re worried now that a few people control the market, well those same people would still control it except exponentially moreso because they have the millions of gold to do it already.

Also, who said it was supposed to be easy? Part of the game is economics. As I stated a minute ago it takes about 10 minutes to check the stores in the major trade locations.

• Erelah
    Erelah
    ✭✭✭✭

Well I counter that with ... you’re just wrong. Literally everything you typed is easier to do with a global auction house especially price fixing. You’re worried now that a few people control the market, well those same people would still control it except exponentially moreso because they have the millions of gold to do it already.

Also, who said it was supposed to be easy? Part of the game is economics. As I stated a minute ago it takes about 10 minutes to check the stores in the major trade locations.

And while that may be your statement your counter lacked anything other than " who said it was supposed to be easy? Part of the game is economics". That statement implies that players purchasing items so they may do quests, raids, dungeons, or PVP is supposed to be difficult. While I will admit that no Developer has told me it is not supposed to be easy I am going to politely state that is an odd argument.

To counter your argument that buying a stack of invisibility potions should take about 10 minutes. This is a game It is about having fun. Now while you believe part of the game is economics the game developers has stated it was for immersion.So for immersion I recommend a NPC with a catalog list which players can list all the items they have for sale. An extension of the hireling collection mail with little stories of what they did while retrieving the item purchased.
  • Blackwing_Soul
    Blackwing_Soul
    ✭✭✭
    I doubt ZOS will ever change the way the trade system works and at this point it would probably not make much difference anyway. The rich will stay rich.

I use TTC and I like it. I have made a tidy sum off selling just the random things I acquire while playing and when I want to buy something I can check where to start hunting and around what price I should expect to pay.

I don't think things will change and if they do I am fine with it. If they don't I am fine with that too.
  • Drachenfier
    Drachenfier
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey Maky,

Have fun

Firstly, that's how supply and demand works.

Secondly, the same thing happens in ESO's horrific trade system.
  • THEDKEXPERIENCE
    THEDKEXPERIENCE
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hey Maky,

Have fun

Yes, correct. But it’s limited. You still CAN find bargains. You gotta hunt, and maybe get lucky but you CAN. With an AH you no longer will be able to find deals on items that are popular. All of those will skyrocket.

A global auction house makes everything you fear exponentially worse and easier to exploit.

Using XBox prices “resin” costs just under 7000 gold. There may be too many available to corner the market but let’s, for fun, say that in Mournhold, Elden Root and Rwalka there are a total of 300 resins available for purchase. For 2.1 million gold 1 person could buy all of them and relist them for any price they want. This isn’t happening though because everyone knows that there are other places where 7000 cost resins can be found.

Conversely let’s say that there is a global auction house with 1500 resins available for purchase. That’s 10.5 million in gold which, sad to say, is a sum that hundreds of people have available today.

Let’s even be silly and say that there are 10,000 resins available across the platform. That’s 70 million in gold it would cost. A ridiculous sum that only a handful could muster but those people do exist. A GAH would allow those folks to buy 100% of those resins at cost and then they would control the entire market. You think things are bad now? How about when that person decides that the “fair” price for resins is now 20,000 each? Because THAT is what would happen to every valuable resource in the game.

Anything not deemed worthy of being hoarded would then plummet in price essentially making the vendor cost the likely return on your time. That impen curiass you were selling for 3000, congrats, it’s now worth 58 gold.

Right now the insane leg work required to truly corner a market is what keeps prices stable. Allowing an ESO billionaire to buyout the entire supply of a vital item in the click of one button would have disastrous implications on the “little guy”, not help them.
    Edited by THEDKEXPERIENCE on June 11, 2019 3:24PM
  • Kagukan
    Kagukan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Guild trader system will go down in gaming history as one of the worst implemented systems in any MMO. Needs a serious rework in the near future.
  • THEDKEXPERIENCE
    THEDKEXPERIENCE
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Kagukan wrote: »
    Guild trader system will go down in gaming history as one of the worst implemented systems in any MMO. Needs a serious rework in the near future.

You mean best.

• tgrippa
    tgrippa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey Maky,

Have fun

Yes, correct. But it’s limited. You still CAN find bargains. You gotta hunt, and maybe get lucky but you CAN. With an AH you no longer will be able to find deals on items that are popular. All of those will skyrocket.

A global auction house makes everything you fear exponentially worse and easier to exploit.

Using XBox prices “resin” costs just under 7000 gold. There may be too many available to corner the market but let’s, for fun, say that in Mournhold, Elden Root and Rwalka there are a total of 300 resins available for purchase. For 2.1 million gold 1 person could buy all of them and relist them for any price they want. This isn’t happening though because everyone knows that there are other places where 7000 cost resins can be found.

Conversely let’s say that there is a global auction house with 1500 resins available for purchase. That’s 10.5 million in gold which, sad to say, is a sum that hundreds of people have available today.

Let’s even be silly and say that there are 10,000 resins available across the platform. That’s 70 million in gold it would cost. A ridiculous sum that only a handful could muster but those people do exist. A GAH would allow those folks to buy 100% of those resins at cost and then they would control the entire market. You think things are bad now? How about when that person decides that the “fair” price for resins is now 20,000 each? Because THAT is what would happen to every valuable resource in the game.

Anything not deemed worthy of being hoarded would then plummet in price essentially making the vendor cost the likely return on your time. That impen curiass you were selling for 3000, congrats, it’s now worth 58 gold.

Right now the insane leg work required to truly corner a market is what keeps prices stable. Allowing an ESO billionaire to buyout the entire supply of a vital item in the click of one button would have disastrous implications on the “little guy”, not help them.

This completely. You can already do this on a small scale, i.e. buying up all the tempers you can before Elsweyr releasing then reselling them at a 50% markup on Elsweyr’s release at a time when they are in even higher demand.

Believe me, if there was an auction house I would have bought even more. The only thing stopping me was the fact that I just could not be bothered to go to every single main trader.

Yes it is not perfect, but the market remains somewhat stable due to the current system. Use addons properly, get to know the cost of the items and the main trading hubs on your server, and you will be gucci.
    PCEU
    heh.
    heh.
  • Dracheimflug
    Dracheimflug
    ✭✭✭
    Hey Maky,

Have fun

As long as you still have to travel to the specific trader and manually trade, not sure how this follows. You would still need to do the leg work. The central listing would only let you know where to run to. Even as it stands, the default for every guild store seems to be 'show nothing.' That or most or all guild stores are simply empty...