The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [IN PROGRESS] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [IN PROGRESS] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

ESO Announces 13.5 Million Players Up 2.5 Million From Last Year

Dominoid
Dominoid
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭
The Trend:

From past announcements on player count.
  • This is not active player count - last update 2.5 million monthly active in December 2017
  • This number is people who have purchased and registered a copy of ESO at anytime since release
  • This does not include players who do free trial and don't purchase game
  • If you own more than one account on a platform or own accounts on several platforms, you are counted more than once.

Edited by Dominoid on June 8, 2019 1:38AM
  • Sylvermynx
    Sylvermynx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    *sigh* Yeah. Nice.

Or not. I'm SO TIRED of bajillions of people everywhere.... I personally liked it better 6/18, when I first started playing. I pay my way, so I really just want to not have people everywhere.

Yeah yeah.... not a popular opinion. I get that.
  • valeriiya
    valeriiya
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They must be counting the bots too
    Edited by valeriiya on June 8, 2019 2:01AM
  • Imperial_Voice
    Imperial_Voice
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sylvermynx wrote: »
    *sigh* Yeah. Nice.

Or not. I'm SO TIRED of bajillions of people everywhere.... I personally liked it better 6/18, when I first started playing. I pay my way, so I really just want to not have people everywhere.

Sounds like you want a single player TES with all of Tamriel more than you want ESO.
  • Sylvermynx
    Sylvermynx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    *sigh* Yeah. Nice.

Sounds like you want a single player TES with all of Tamriel more than you want ESO.

*shrug* I still play Skyrim. I still play Oblivion. I'm really looking forward to living long enough to play TES VI.

In the meantime.... I play ESO. And hate the millions of people in my face.
  • erlewine
    erlewine
    ✭✭✭
    why do they even release these numbers? it tells us the opposite of what they hope it does... if you've gotta have a team of mathematicians make things confusing enough that it sounds maybe good on paper, because you are absolutely terrified of just saying the monthly caps and actual subs, daily logins, etc. is, yeah... hmm. I guess these numbers do say something in a way ^^
    eisley the worst
  • Wifeaggro13
    Wifeaggro13
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    its great they are selling lots of copies.
  • Korah_Eaglecry
    Korah_Eaglecry
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I think the more interesting thing about that announcement was that they are expanding their team. Ive heard rumors of them working on another property. But with the a position as a producer has opened up. Im wondering if the rumors are true and they are ramping up for the next big MMO.
    Penniless Sellsword Company
    Captain Paramount - Jorrhaq Vhent
    Korith Eaglecry * Enrerion Aedihle * Laerinel Rhaev * Caius Berilius * Seylina Ithvala * H'Vak the Grimjawl
    Tenarei Rhaev * Dazsh Ro Khar * Yynril Rothvani * Bathes-In-Coin * Anaelle Faerniil * Azjani Ma'Les
    Aban Shahid Bakr * Kheshna gra-Gharbuk * Gallisten Bondurant * Etain Maquier * Atsu Kalame * Faulpia Severinus
    What is better, to be born good, or to overcome your evil nature through great effort? - Paarthurnax
  • erlewine
    erlewine
    ✭✭✭
    I think the more interesting thing about that announcement was that they are expanding their team. Ive heard rumors of them working on another property. But with the a position as a producer has opened up. Im wondering if the rumors are true and they are ramping up for the next big MMO.

well, judging by sales Elswyr seems pretty clearly the final full size expansion for ESO, it'll likely go into delayed maintenance mode sometime soon, maybe not for a few years though - then restructure updating to like 2 months per small DLC, somethin along those lines.

Or shut it down. But I think mtx can keep this profitable a long time.
    eisley the worst
  • Banana
    Banana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My connection would believe it. Worst its ever been.
  • Dominoid
    Dominoid
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

It’s confirmed they’re working on another game. Might not be an MMO though.
  • jainiadral
    jainiadral
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    *sigh* Yeah. Nice.

Proper zone instancing would solve a *lot* of those problems. Cut the max players per map by 50-75% and open new instances and it'll feel like the game is much more manageable.

Been noticing a lot more players everywhere at the ungodly hours I play. I had no idea that the Alik'r was so populated at 3AM :( Nothing like getting massive lag when the dolmen train rides by...
  • Dominoid
    Dominoid
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    erlewine wrote: »

well, judging by sales Elswyr seems pretty clearly the final full size expansion for ESO, it'll likely go into delayed maintenance mode sometime soon, maybe not for a few years though - then restructure updating to like 2 months per small DLC, somethin along those lines.

Not sure where you’re getting your Elsweyr “facts”. But, you can’t start any kind of countdown until an MMO goes truly free-to-play. Then you can start to project some form of maintenance mode 2-3 years after that. With a shuttering of the doors 2-3 years after that. On average.

Edited by Dominoid on June 8, 2019 2:34AM
  • Aptonoth
    Aptonoth
    ✭✭✭✭✭

The last expansion... are you mad? Lol. Or joking. Man this super popular big mmo that keeps growing yeah let’s kill it when not at peak popularity let alone past it lol and we’ve only seen half the continent not to mention all deadric realms and 3 other possible continents and who knows whatever mysteries like giant lore dwemer cities ect.
  • erlewine
    erlewine
    ✭✭✭
    Dominoid wrote: »
    Not sure where you’re getting your Elsweyr “facts”. But, you can’t start any kind of countdown until an MMO goes truly free-to-play. Then you can start to project some form of maintenance mode 2-3 years after that. With a shuttering of the doors 2-3 years after that. On average.

why are you quoting the word "facts" as if I ever said that?

lmao "true free to play," that first one was a mulligan.

anyway, show some numbers that prove me wrong. I'd be happy to be wrong in this case.
    eisley the worst
  • erlewine
    erlewine
    ✭✭✭
    Aptonoth wrote: »
    The last expansion... are you mad? Lol. Or joking. Man this super popular big mmo that keeps growing yeah let’s kill it when not at peak popularity let alone past it lol and we’ve only seen half the continent not to mention all deadric realms and 3 other possible continents and who knows whatever mysteries like giant lore dwemer cities ect.

Commercial full price expansion, yes. I said there would be further content with DLC. Mtx can keep it around for a very long time too. This is how live service games are meant to be done, they want to let most of the team go work on making the new thing.
    eisley the worst
  • Spacefish2323
    Spacefish2323
    ✭✭✭
    I was afraid for the life of ESO for the first two years, but the last three I haven't been worried at all. The game has been on the rise since One Tamriel in my humble opinion. I've done my part for this and brought in three new regulars this year. All it seems to take is to get people who tried the original launch and left to simply give the game another chance as it is now and they stay.
  • erlewine
    erlewine
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah, it'll stay around a long time thanks to the recovery they made and set up alternate revenue streams. I think the problem they're running into now is that the team may feel they've topped out (which, clearly they have looking at any of the few daily login sources we have) or are just burnt out - either way, they likely want to start working on a new game, with ESO shifting a bit. Doesn't mean no more DLC or anything. Happens to tons of games
    eisley the worst
  • Reverb
    Reverb
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    That really is Firor’s only talking point. I’ll buy 10k crowns if he has anythingof substance to say at E3 that doesn’t circle back to number of copies sold.
    Battle not with monsters, lest ye become a monster, and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you. ~Friedrich Nietzsche
  • Tasear
    Tasear
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Saw a picture on Reddit there's 200,000 active subs.
  • Tasear
    Tasear
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, it'll stay around a long time thanks to the recovery they made and set up alternate revenue streams. I think the problem they're running into now is that the team may feel they've topped out (which, clearly they have looking at any of the few daily login sources we have) or are just burnt out - either way, they likely want to start working on a new game, with ESO shifting a bit. Doesn't mean no more DLC or anything. Happens to tons of games

Spell crafting, dragon blade, other type of staves, better fishing, upgrades to dark brotherhood and thieves guild, guild quests
  • danno8
    danno8
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well new people are born, grow up, and buy games everyday. New players numbers are meaningless.

All that matters are concurrent players and whether or not that number is increasing. You can add a million players, but it hardly matters if you are also losing a million. I mean, at least you are stable, but that's not the picture ZoS is trying to paint by releasing numbers like these.
  • fastolfv_ESO
    fastolfv_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    we used to get multiple instances of zones and we havnt had that in ages so where are all these people? pvp population is plummeting, trials guilds have been dying out for a long while now, are they trying to say 13.5 million people just quest and runs pledges? its total bs
  • deleted211028-000982
    deleted211028-000982
    Soul Shriven
    we used to get multiple instances of zones and we havnt had that in ages so where are all these people?

We still have it, I experience it every day when I play with my tank friend, we leave group in dungeon, and we almost everytime end up in different instance of the same zone. There is much more ppl than we can see.
  • Wildbloom
    Wildbloom
    ✭✭✭✭
    As much as I enjoy ESO, I'm willing to bet that a lot of those numbers are people who bought it on sale for like 10 dollars, logged in, played for an hour and decided they didn't like the combat. It's a touchy subject that you have to experience to understand. You love it or you hate it. But seeing as performance is getting worse with tons of new, consistent players, I think it's safe to say that it -is- growing. How can it not? It's constantly getting better, performance aside.They have a good product on their hands and I think people are just now realizing that it's no longer the mess that it was when it launched 5 years ago.
    "Hello, Skellington Pal! How are you today? Bone dry, you say? I’d offer you a glass of water, but it’d all fall through! I need more coffee."

ZOS_GinaBruno, patch 5.0.1 PTS patch notes, 4/22/2019
  • ArchMikem
    ArchMikem
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't forget all the Skyrim fanbois that got suckered in.
    CP1,900+ Master Explorer - AvA One Star General - Console Peasant - The Clan
    Quest Objective: OMG Go Talk To That Kitty!
  • wishlist14
    wishlist14
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good to see you are all still enjoying the game enough to still be here. Your dedication speaks volumes. Congratulations zos❤❤❤
  • Wolfshead
    Wolfshead
    ✭✭✭✭

What are you talk about MMO like ESO that is only 5 years still earn money I will earn money as long as ZoS put good/ok content and maintenance mode won't come until we are below 1 - 3 million players shoot down the game won't happen until we are below 500.000 players and how do I know this well after play MMO for past 15 years I have seen this 1st hand with many MMO as long as company earn money from MMO the won't put in maintenance mode or shoot it down.

Hopeful the will start hiring more people :) and if the number on 13.5 million players we have pass WoW when WoW was as big they have around 12 million players back in Lich King expansion.
    If you find yourself alone, riding in green fields with the sun on your face, do not be troubled; for you are in Elysium, and you're already dead
    What we do in life, echoes in eternity
  • Nemesis7884
    Nemesis7884
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    the game doing great and is even growing against the industry trend is AWESOME - more people means more content and more support!!!
  • MartiniDaniels
    MartiniDaniels
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If every of those new 2.5M people donated at least 5$, ZOS can easily upgrade servers for that money. But we all know current beth's attitude: minimal investment-maximum profit.
    Though we as gamers are to blame too, Bethesda was releasing excellent mid-scale games for several years, but they were under-performing in sales because average skyrim player will buy new mount he likes either then new Pray, Wolvenstein etc
  • Tommy_The_Gun
    Tommy_The_Gun
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dominoid wrote: »
    The Trend:

From past announcements on player count.
    • This is not active player count - last update 2.5 million monthly active in December 2017
    • This number is people who have purchased and registered a copy of ESO at anytime since release
    • This does not include players who do free trial and don't purchase game
    • If you own more than one account on a platform or own accounts on several platforms, you are counted more than once.

I guess since they got sit ton of money because of that, there is literally NO REASON for them not upgrade their servers. Especially on EU since those seems to be choking itself to death...
    Edited by Tommy_The_Gun on June 8, 2019 8:03AM
This discussion has been closed.