The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Either Add More Servers or Get Rid of The Lock

LickingHistSap
LickingHistSap
✭✭✭
This Faction Lock is absolutely ridiculous. I have DC, AD, and EP toons I all liked to play Non-CP on, and now that there's only one Non-CP server, and it's faction locked, my Aldmeri and Daggerfall toons are completely worthless now after all the time I've spent on them.

I don't understand why they thought this faction lock would be a good idea in conjunction with deleting servers. If anything, this makes me not want to play PvP at all anymore with how they just completely disregarded 2/3rds of my characters.
  • Siohwenoeht
    Siohwenoeht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Agree completely, there needs to be a non-locked no-cp campaign. I'm ok with locks in general, but it should've been on the 7 day campaigns instead of the 30 day.

I can't remember for sure, but I think the IC campaigns are unlocked, I know it's not the same as cyro, but it might be an option. I'm splitting my 3 pvp toons (one in each faction) between the CP 30 day, 7 day, and IC. I'll rotate the two in the 30 day and 7 day, the IC will stay there. She's specifically built for it.
    Edited by Siohwenoeht on June 5, 2019 1:21AM
    "It is a lovely language, but it takes a very long time saying anything in it, because we do not say anything in it, unless it is worth taking a long time to say, and to listen to." - Treebeard
  • bulbousb16_ESO
    bulbousb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Faction lock is awesome. Next step, implementing it for all campaigns.
    Lethal zergling
  • Jjitsuboy98
    Jjitsuboy98
    ✭✭✭✭
    I’m super worried about this. On ps4 tonight it’s all red max lock and yellow has one bar and blue has two. The map is all red. It’s not fun if there is no one to fight.

Fix this.
  • Siohwenoeht
    Siohwenoeht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Nah... Options for this are a good thing. It'll need adjusting over time, which campaigns are locked etc but having unlocked campaigns for those that want them is necessary.
    "It is a lovely language, but it takes a very long time saying anything in it, because we do not say anything in it, unless it is worth taking a long time to say, and to listen to." - Treebeard
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    More servers does not solve the issue of pop locks. Even back when we have more than enough servers and all were 90 day servers we all still flocked to the same two campaigns.

Yes, back then we could fill two campaigns even though the pop cap was much higher than today.

Most players want to go to the more active campaigns because there is more PvP.
  • LickingHistSap
    LickingHistSap
    ✭✭✭
    idk wrote: »
    More servers does not solve the issue of pop locks. Even back when we have more than enough servers and all were 90 day servers we all still flocked to the same two campaigns.

Yes, back then we could fill two campaigns even though the pop cap was much higher than today.

Most players want to go to the more active campaigns because there is more PvP.

Read my post? I'm not talking about pop lock.

It's literally impossible to play non-cp Cyrodiil on more than 1 faction character is my issue, and that's my main way of playing cyrodiil. 2/3rds of my mains are useless for pvp now.
  • Mr_Walker
    Mr_Walker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I’m super worried about this. On ps4 tonight it’s all red max lock and yellow has one bar and blue has two. The map is all red. It’s not fun if there is no one to fight.

Fix this.

As predicted. Get used to it, that imbalance is now baked in for another 29 days.
  • Jjitsuboy98
    Jjitsuboy98
    ✭✭✭✭
    Mr_Walker wrote: »

Fix this.

As predicted. Get used to it, that imbalance is now baked in for another 29 days.

Freaking garbage man. Everyone in chat seems happy but I don’t find it fun gating everyone with no push back.
  • Mr_Walker
    Mr_Walker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Mr_Walker wrote: »

Fix this.

Freaking garbage man. Everyone in chat seems happy but I don’t find it fun gating everyone with no push back.

I hear you brother, that sort of thing is fun for the first 5 minutes but it gets real old real fast, regardless of what side you're on. Chat'll soon get bored of it too, but thanks to faction locks there's no hope of a change unless you can convince a few of them to change faction next shift.

And that's 29 days from now....

• Minno
    Minno
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Guys just got into IC or deal with it. They are going to remove once they get data from consoles about who actually pvps in cyro. Then the next chapter is going to turn cyro into apve some that tells the story of Tiber septum after a dragon break come before the end of the year lol.
    Minno - DC - Forum-plar Extraordinaire
    - Guild-lead for MV
    - Filthy Casual
  • bulbousb16_ESO
    bulbousb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    having unlocked campaigns for those that want them is necessary.
    The only way I could see this remaining a possibility is if the unlocked campaigns did not give rewards.

Lethal zergling
  • Siohwenoeht
    Siohwenoeht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    having unlocked campaigns for those that want them is necessary.
    The only way I could see this remaining a possibility is if the unlocked campaigns did not give rewards.

Oh? So you really do want to force everyone to play as you do.

I landed on the side of faction locks to give players that wanted it options. Not to take away the options for others. I would've preferred, and indeed have promoted multiple times that providing incentives to stay faction loyal without locks at all is a better solution.

Zos decided on locks and provided only one alternative in an unlocked CP enabled campaign, plus IC, which is not a substitute for cyro.

Whatever "data" they collect will be heavily skewed because of this. Be happy we have a faction lock option, but you're not doing that cause any favors by stubbornly trying to eliminate alternative playstyles that would in no way affect you on a locked server.
  • bulbousb16_ESO
    bulbousb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    To play properly as the game was meant to be played, yes.

Lethal zergling
  • josh.lackey_ESO
    josh.lackey_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The problem with adding more servers is that they would just be empty because there is not enough population to sustain more than one server.

I think if ZOS is determined to continue ruining Cyrodiil with faction locks, they should make the faction account-wide so you can enter on any of your characters regardless of faction.

This would be totally in line with the main quest, as Cadwell already turns into both of the alternate factions. I don't see why it shouldn't apply to Cyrodiil, too.

It's totally unfair to eliminate locks for years since One Tamriel, and we invest many hours in building up our alts for PvP, and now suddenly they are worthless. Really we should get some kind of refund or compensation if we simply can't play those characters anymore. Or make faction account-wide, and just change all the characters to the same faction. Or give us faction change tokens. I haven't been able to play my only DK since Elsweyr dropped, and it sucks.
  • bulbousb16_ESO
    bulbousb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I haven't been able to play my only DK since Elsweyr dropped, and it sucks.
    What happens when you try? Error message? Game crash?

Lethal zergling
  • Siohwenoeht
    Siohwenoeht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    To play properly as the game was meant to be played, yes.

That went out the window after 1t my friend. They fundamentally changed the importance of factions, essentially relegating them to PVE and main story. This change saved the game. Like all MMOs, ESO has evolved over time and whatever the original intent of the original devs is of less importance.

Hell, I doubt the original intent was for a 4 man dungeon group to be composed of 3 dds and 1 tank, or 4 dds for that matter. But I would certainly not fight for restrictions to force a certain playstyle there.

Now has unlocked pvp campaigns caused or exacerbated some issues over the years? For some, yes, for others, no. It will take a while, longer than 1 month I'd wager, to see the impact of locks, but the only way to take stock is if there are equal options. Only then can a determination be made on the popularity of locks vs no locks.

I'd rather the game evolve than devolve, which means offering options, not forcing players into a certain way to play.
  • bulbousb16_ESO
    bulbousb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd rather the game evolve than devolve, which means offering options, not forcing players into a certain way to play.
    "Forcing players into a certain way to play" is not a bad thing, it is a necessary thing. All games have rules that prescribe how players must play. ESO is no different. When players adopt strategies that steer the game in a bad direction, the rules need to adapt. That is what is happening here.
    Lethal zergling
  • Siohwenoeht
    Siohwenoeht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    "Forcing players into a certain way to play" is not a bad thing, it is a necessary thing. All games have rules that prescribe how players must play. ESO is no different. When players adopt strategies that steer the game in a bad direction, the rules need to adapt. That is what is happening here.

And exactly what impact, TO YOU, or to me (my main pvp toon will be on the 30 day CP locked) would equal alternatives for those who wish to play differently have?
  • bulbousb16_ESO
    bulbousb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    And exactly what impact, TO YOU, or to me (my main pvp toon will be on the 30 day CP locked) would equal alternatives for those who wish to play differently have?
    As it stands, one of the major detriments is that equal rewards and recognition are given for inequal competitions. On the one hand, you have the faction-locked campaign in which people strive hard for their faction, and on the other hand, you have the faction-flopping campaign in which people switch sides on a whim for whatever reason they wish, including ease of progression.
    Lethal zergling
  • Siohwenoeht
    Siohwenoeht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    As it stands, one of the major detriments is that equal rewards and recognition are given for inequal competitions. On the one hand, you have the faction-locked campaign in which people strive hard for their faction, and on the other hand, you have the faction-flopping campaign in which people switch sides on a whim for whatever reason they wish, including ease of progression.

And since they will be on a different campaign it doesn't affect you or your gameplay in the slightest.
  • Miriel
    Miriel
    ✭✭✭✭
    I might be for faction lock, but both sides in this need a place to play... at this point its how we transition and split the pop into locked and unlocked so both sides can have a good experience...
  • InvictusApollo
    InvictusApollo
    ✭✭✭✭✭

How many pvp characters do you have and in which alliances are they?
  • bulbousb16_ESO
    bulbousb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    And since they will be on a different campaign it doesn't affect you or your gameplay in the slightest.
    That's disingenous. Like saying tragedies in another country do not affect me.
    I have characters in each alliance and I play them all.

Edited by bulbousb16_ESO on June 5, 2019 1:18PM
    Lethal zergling
  • InvictusApollo
    InvictusApollo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    And how exactly would the lack of faction lock on another campaign affect you? Other than ofcourse making your locked campaign empty because most people prefer no lock.
    I have characters in each alliance and I play them all.
    You still haven't answered how many...

• Siohwenoeht
    Siohwenoeht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Not disingenuous at all, considering we are discussing random player controlled pixels and not the real world.

On another genuine note: If you are having trouble separating those pixels from the real world, there are many programs available to help you.

We have what we wanted, now it's time to help out fellow gamers who may disagree with us get what they need as well, which is an unlocked no-cp campaign.
  • bulbousb16_ESO
    bulbousb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    We have what we wanted, now it's time to help out fellow gamers who may disagree with us get what they need as well, which is an unlocked no-cp campaign.
    And I think it's time we locked all campaigns.
    Lethal zergling
  • Siohwenoeht
    Siohwenoeht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

And still provided no legitimate reason to do so.
  • WoppaBoem
    WoppaBoem
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I loved it yesterday and we as Reds on Xbox EU where the ones who where gatted for a large part by a yellow farming team with the new volumdrum thingie weapon. And it was good fun. But different than usuall where we as reds fight team green the Blue's pushed hard on yellows and the map became balanced again a few hours later. So far really good experience. The atmosphere was better, cursious to see how this pans out in like 2 full campaigns completed.
    Edited by WoppaBoem on June 5, 2019 1:48PM
    Xbox EU & NA - PVP Only
  • WoppaBoem
    WoppaBoem
    ✭✭✭✭✭

And still provided no legitimate reason to do so.

That is a troll, no reason for more locks.
    Xbox EU & NA - PVP Only
  • Gilvoth
    Gilvoth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    game was allowing for cheats and faction hoping and the option to make multiple characters in all alliances and many problems with that and people took advantage of it and made multiple characters on all alliances.
    faction locks now make cheating harder to do. i approve of those changes.