The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

60% more FPS with a Nvidia GPU

HuawaSepp
HuawaSepp
✭✭✭
I did a lot of testing with a friend and only the use of a nvidia card instead of an amd card was improving fps by 60%.
AMD GPU users are still in a bad spot.
The implementation of Vulkan (not a lazy DX12 implementation) would help a lot.

===============INFO==================
60% more FPS because:
https://forums.anandtech.com/threads/nvidia-vs-amds-driver-approach-in-dx11.2502940/

Best CPU for ESO:
https://www.cpubenchmark.net/singleThread.html

Best RAM for ESO:
Look for at least 2x8 DDR4 with a Clock (for example 3000 Mhz) as high as possible and to further improve the performance/FPS take dual sided RAM with timings as low as possible

Best GPU for ESO at 1920x1080:
Nvidia GTX1050ti 4GB or above

For those who think ESO run on all cores:
Merlight wrote: »
Simplified example using silly numbers for illustration:
Let's say the client needs to do some work that would take 100ms on a single core, and we have four cores. That doesn't immediately translate to the ability to complete that work in 25ms real time, with 100% CPU utilization.

Game client needs to do a bunch of different tasks on the CPU, and it's difficult to distribute the work evenly among how many cores you have. For example all Lua UI handlers run in sequence. Drawing UI elements can only start after all the handlers have finished. It's a sequence of dependent tasks, which cannot run in parallel (unless you rewrite the whole thing to not be sequential). You usually end up with one sequence of tasks that's longer than any of the sequences you've off-loaded to other threads.

Continuing with the example, let's say from that 100ms work we off-loaded 30ms worth evenly to 3 other threads. So we end up with 1 thread running for 70ms, and 3 threads running for 10ms and idling for 60ms. If these 4 threads were directly mapped to CPU cores, we would see 100% load on one core, and 14% load on three other cores (running 10ms out of 70ms).

Here's where the operating system steps in, and migrates the busy thread to idling cores to help with cooling -- so for the first 10ms all four threads run in parallel, collectively doing 40ms of work, but the remaining 60ms of work is a sequence running in 1 thread; although not on a single core, they take turns, like each one doing 15ms work and 45ms idling. So the whole 100ms worth of work is completed in 70ms, and you'll see about 35% CPU load because each core was running for 25ms out of those 70ms. Seeing CPU load evenly distributed among all cores doesn't mean the application itself distributes its work among threads evenly.
Edited by HuawaSepp on June 6, 2019 4:55AM
PTS-EU
  • LeagueTroll
    LeagueTroll
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yet i get 30 fps with a gtx1070, gpu never even reached 30% load playing eso.
  • deepseamk20b14_ESO
    deepseamk20b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have an RTX 2080 TI and graphics set to ultra, everything other setting set to on and view distance at max on a wide screen “2k” monitor. In towns FPS at 45, out of towns 55-75, dungeons above 100. I havent overclocked my CPU Or GPU yet but honestly I expected a bit more. I hear ESO is somewhat unstable and CPU has a big role with this game so when I OC my 8700k, perhaps I’ll see an improvement.

I’m kind of interested in seeing what the new AMD stuff is capable of.

Either way, I think even if you have a super high end computer this game still doesn’t get crazy FPS if everything is set to max. Nvidia or not.
    Hey everyone! Look! It's a signature!
  • NocturnalSonata
    NocturnalSonata
    ✭✭✭
    I have an RTX 2080 TI and graphics set to ultra, everything other setting set to on and view distance at max on a wide screen “2k” monitor. In towns FPS at 45, out of towns 55-75, dungeons above 100. I havent overclocked my CPU Or GPU yet but honestly I expected a bit more. I hear ESO is somewhat unstable and CPU has a big role with this game so when I OC my 8700k, perhaps I’ll see an improvement.

Either way, I think even if you have a super high end computer this game still doesn’t get crazy FPS if everything is set to max. Nvidia or not.

GPU offers almost zero performance increase. OC that 8700k to 5ghz and you will see better results, as eso is single thread cpu bound. As for performance increase in pvp... forget it.
  • twev
    twev
    ✭✭✭✭✭

The RTX is a nice card, and all, and I'll bet it will look really nice on new (and upcoming games) but I'm going to guess that ESO isn't giving you the ray-tracing light sources to make the card work hard at what it was designed for.

I'm just running a 1080, myself.

I don't expect to live long enough to get benefit from a 2080 on games still being designed for it

(I always find speeling errors right after I post)
    Edited by twev on June 4, 2019 11:13PM
    The problem with society these days is that no one drinks from the skulls of their enemies anymore.

PC/NA, i7 with 32 gigs of ram, nVME cards and an nVidea 1060 over fiber.
    I don't play through Steam, ever.
  • p_tsakirisb16_ESO
    p_tsakirisb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    HuawaSepp wrote: »
    I did a lot of testing with a friend and only the use of a nvidia card instead of an amd card was improving fps by 60%.
    The implementation of Vulcan (not a lazy DX12 implementation) would help a lot.

Depends the AMD GPU. On Vega it requires to make a custom game profile and set the P7 state at the minimum speed.
    After that it works perfectly.
  • Mathius_Mordred
    Mathius_Mordred
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't forget that if you have Vertical Sync set to on the frame rate will be limited by your monitor so you may only see 60fps. Switching it off and it can shoot up to well over 100 as it does for me. However when it's intensive i also occasionally see it down at 30fps, running i7 4.0 Ghz no OC, GTX1080, 32Gb DDR4 3000 Mhz ram. GPU makes little difference on this game, it hardly breaks a sweat and the PC can run this game showing 60 and TW3 showing 60 and STO at 120 fps (no v-synch) concurrently.
    Skyrim Red Shirts. Join us at https://skyrimredshirts.co.ukJoin Skyrim Red Shirts. We welcome all, from new players to Vets. A mature drama free social group enjoying PVE questing, Dungeons, trials and arenas. Web, FB Group & Discord. Guild Hall, trial dummy, crafting, transmutation, banker & merchant. You may invite your friends. No requirements
  • MLGProPlayer
    MLGProPlayer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    AMD hasn't made a good GPU in like 10 years. Early leaks of Navi are extremely disappointing as well. Their CPUs on the other hand are superb though. Zen 2 is looking like it's going to dominate the desktop gaming market for a while.

Having said that, your GPU doesn't have much of an impact in this game. Everything at or beyond a mid-range GPU performs the same. The game is very poorly optimized.
    Edited by MLGProPlayer on June 4, 2019 11:52PM
  • skiidzman
    skiidzman
    ✭✭✭

I'll never buy AMD again, the majority of games do not support it like NVIDIA.

There will be someone who replies to this comment saying "harhar you are wrong, derpyderp, wickywicky" but trust me, I've done my research, built many builds, and tested the crap out of games.

NVIDIA and Intel will win that debate.
  • Hyperion616
    Hyperion616
    ✭✭✭

I have a 1080 Ti and Christ man, max settings and my fps jumps from 110 to 27 in some places. My latency sits at a constant 100 to 110 with highs reaching 170. I can't help but keep thinking these ESO servers are not located here in the states.
    I am patient with stupidity but not with those who are proud of it.

~Edith Sitwell

• MLGProPlayer
    MLGProPlayer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    skiidzman wrote: »

I'll never buy AMD again, the majority of games do not support it like NVIDIA.

There will be someone who replies to this comment saying "harhar you are wrong, derpyderp, wickywicky" but trust me, I've done my research, built many builds, and tested the crap out of games.

NVIDIA and Intel will win that debate.

One of the most uneducated posts I've ever read on the internet.
  • Kiralyn2000
    Kiralyn2000
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd also be interested to know which GPUs you compared. Were they ones of equivalent power?

(and does ESO have any company-dependant code in it? I know there have been plenty of games programmed to work better on one company's GPU's vs the other's.)

...dislaimer: I don't use high-end cards. I just upgraded my system to an RX 570, from the R9-270X 2GB that I'd been using for years. Never spent more than $175 for a new GPU. 60fps is nice, but not necessary for many games. Let alone 144.
  • SirAndy
    SirAndy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    eso is single thread cpu bound

ESO is *not* single thread. That's just plain wrong ...
    poke.gif

• MLGProPlayer
    MLGProPlayer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

There is no point in upgrading hardware for this game.

It's an optimization issue. Your GPU and CPU usage hover at 30-40% at all times. Putting in better hardware won't affect performance in any way since your current hardware isn't being even close to fully utilized.

As for the latest AMD stuff.

Navi appears to be a mid-range line designed to compete with the 2060 and maybe 2070. The VII is an underclocked, overpriced 2080. Their GPUs aren't very good value and that doesn't look to be changing any time soon (I had high hopes for Navi, but it appears it's another flop).

Zen 2 is looking great though. Almost identical IPC performance to Intel (from the early leaks) for significantly less money (about $70 less for the CPU here in Canada and about $50 less for the mobo).
    Edited by MLGProPlayer on June 5, 2019 12:08AM
  • bulbousb16_ESO
    bulbousb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    AMD over Intel/Nvidia, any day and every day.
    Lethal zergling
  • Red_Feather
    Red_Feather
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I have an AMD cpu and gpu. I get 20-50 frames per second. And sometimes it goes slideshow until I rotate the camera a few items.
  • Sylvermynx
    Sylvermynx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like AMD for CPU, and NVIDIA for GPU. I've never had any issues with games using that combo, so I'll be sticking with it. Nope, I don't have anything other than anecdotal evidence - *shrug*. I gave up building my own machines about a decade ago - just too old to mess with it any more. Now I use the configuration app at cyberpowerpc, and call it good.
  • Sav72
    Sav72
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    10320 x1440 display running sli 1080ti, game at 90 plus fps, after a hour or so in cyrodill, drops to 50 to 60 plus. Major fight or lag goes down to 30 fps
    Savoifair, EP NB

If you break something, you can glue it back together and fix it, but, it will always be broken...

• srfrogg23
    srfrogg23
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Heh, 45 to over 100 fps isn't anything to sneeze at. Seems like a good card to me.
  • nafensoriel
    nafensoriel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I had my previous r9 390 DIAF and was reduced to using an old 660gtx. My FPS went down 15 points and still remains above 50 except in the most extreme of circumstances.

ESO doesn't really care what your GPU is.
  • MLGProPlayer
    MLGProPlayer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    srfrogg23 wrote: »

Heh, 45 to over 100 fps isn't anything to sneeze at. Seems like a good card to me.

That CPU + GPU combo should easily be holding 100+ FPS in every game at 1440p.

ESO is just such an optimization disaster.
    Edited by MLGProPlayer on June 5, 2019 3:16AM
  • TempPlayer
    TempPlayer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fishing alone river outside Wayrest. Look up at the city, 20 fps; look down at the ground, over 50 fps; look back up at the city, 20 fps.
    Wayrest is a city bordered by high wall, most of the stuff should be culled when I'm outside, and yet here we are.
    Yes, ESO has a HUGH optimization issue here.
  • Ysbriel
    Ysbriel
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I got a GTX 1070 and lowest i get is 59 all settings on max 1080p, i do have the view range on 50, that might help you out
  • kaithuzar
    kaithuzar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are tons of optimizations you can do with the ini file.
    There are also tons of OS level system performance tweaks.
    I’ve done a lot and while I can say I’ve gained some performance increase, existing issues with server latency & zerging causing FPS lag, really continue to dominate.

I would say it’s not anywhere near the awesome performance at launch which had 0 pvp lag, but it’s better now than the past few years.
    Hopefully performance optimization doesn’t fall off ZOS’s roadmap.

As for the OS & ini optimizations, google is your friend. I’ve even written about some.
    Member of:
    Fantasia - osh kosh b-josh
    Just Chill - Crown's house
    GoldCloaks - Durruthy test server penga
    Small Meme Guild - Mano's house

Former member of:
    Legend - Siffer fan boy club
    TKO (tamriel knight's order) - free bks
    Deviance - Leonard's senche tiger
    Purple - hamNchz is my hero
    Eight Divines - myrlifax stop playing final fantasy
    WKB (we kill bosses) - turd where you go?
    Arcance Council - Klytz Kommander
    World Boss - Mike & Chewy gone EP
    M12 (majestic twelve) - cult of the loli zerg
  • HuawaSepp
    HuawaSepp
    ✭✭✭

Depends the AMD GPU. On Vega it requires to make a custom game profile and set the P7 state at the minimum speed.
    After that it works perfectly.

I also have a Vega 64. But in my case the only reason for the worse fps is the fact that Nvidia made it possible to outsource 66% of the load from CPU core 0 to core 1.
    With AMD cards the whole dx11 overhead is on CPU core 0.
    PTS-EU
  • HuawaSepp
    HuawaSepp
    ✭✭✭
    I'd also be interested to know which GPUs you compared. Were they ones of equivalent power?

(and does ESO have any company-dependant code in it? I know there have been plenty of games programmed to work better on one company's GPU's vs the other's.)

...dislaimer: I don't use high-end cards. I just upgraded my system to an RX 570, from the R9-270X 2GB that I'd been using for years. Never spent more than $175 for a new GPU. 60fps is nice, but not necessary for many games. Let alone 144.

I compared a Vega 64 (undervolted -150mv) and a RTX 2080. No company-dependant code.
    PTS-EU
  • Anotherone773
    Anotherone773
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

With a 1070 and all settings on high i get 50-70fps in elsweyr at 1080p. In non chapter zones i get 70-100 fps. My card load is 45-55%
  • Isojukka
    Isojukka
    ✭✭✭

There is something wrong with your other components if that's the case.

I have gtx1060 6gb and I have 60-100fps almost always, it will drop to 45-70fps in cyro.

Cpu plays huge factor in this game and I bet, that how fast your Ram is affect also.
    Eso since Xbox launch and switched over to pc 1/2019.
  • MLGProPlayer
    MLGProPlayer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ysbriel wrote: »

I got a GTX 1070 and lowest i get is 59 all settings on max 1080p, i do have the view range on 50, that might help you out

View distance has by far the biggest impact on FPS. Dropping from 100% to 50% will double your FPS. However, I can't stand the way it looks at anything less than 100%.
    Edited by MLGProPlayer on June 5, 2019 5:31AM
  • MLGProPlayer
    MLGProPlayer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Isojukka wrote: »

I have gtx1060 6gb and I have 60-100fps almost always, it will drop to 45-70fps in cyro.

Cpu plays huge factor in this game and I bet, that how fast your Ram is affect also.

Your settings aren't maxed out.
  • Isojukka
    Isojukka
    ✭✭✭
    Isojukka wrote: »

Your settings aren't maxed out.

Everything else is on ultra/max but shadows medium, reflections low and particles 1700. From usersettings HD shadows off.
    Eso since Xbox launch and switched over to pc 1/2019.
This discussion has been closed.