The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Running should cost magicka too

UnknownNick
UnknownNick
✭✭
As the title says.

This game is unbalanced. There are too many unbalanced things both from a PvP and a PvE point of view. Obviously, no game is flawless, there is no such a game perfectly balanced but, we need to do the best we can to make it the most balanced as possible... Running in ESO is one of those unbalanced things. In before I get hate comments because my idea is stupid: just THINK ABOUT IT!
In my opinion running should cost either stamina or magicka based on your highest value. I know, it's not "realistic" because running is something based on a physical movement more than on a magical one - even tho levitation exists lol
What's the sense of having 30k magicka and such if you can't run more than 20 meters and you're already with heavy breath?
Making running based on your highest stat, would resolve many problems. On PvP, it would be much more easier if you can run with your magicka instead of stamina (talking about magicka builds obviously); blocking, roll-dodging and breaking free will still cost stamina, so you will be advantaged for your stamina sustain. On the other hand tho, it will afflicts a bit the magicka sustain but, since in PvP it's often used to stack magrec I don't think that's gonna be a big deal - you can run but, still be able to block / roll dodge future attacks. It'll be balanced because with this way you will have to choose between using your magicka to run away or just spam your shields and such - so it will also solve, more or less, the problems many players have with shield-spammers :D

On a PvE perspective - you will just have advantages. In harder game's contents you don't need to run much but, blocking and roll dodging is ESSENTIAL in basically all Trials and Dungeons, so you won't have to worry anymore about losing stamina because of running...

Let me know what you guys think and how this can get improved
"h*es" stay quirky, I stay unemployed

Characters:
Arizona Iced Tears
H P Lovecrafts Cat Name
Necrophilic
Tell'em Im Dead Homie
  • susmitds
    susmitds
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jumping should cost Magicka. Half of the magsorcs in PvP would immediately rage quit.
  • therift
    therift
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Is this a #NerfSorcs thread?
  • bmannb16_ESO
    bmannb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Let me fly with the magica, then charge me for it.
    AD Six feet under (Sorc, Templar, Dragon Knight)
    EP Six feet under (Warden, Dragon Knight, Sorc)
    EP Sometimes Salty (Nightblade)
    EP Never sees the light (Nightblade)
  • Mitrenga
    Mitrenga
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    giphy.gif
  • UnknownNick
    UnknownNick
    ✭✭
    therift wrote: »
    Is this a #NerfSorcs thread?

I won't deny nor I will confirm

Characters:
    Arizona Iced Tears
    H P Lovecrafts Cat Name
    Necrophilic
    Tell'em Im Dead Homie
  • Trinity_Is_My_Name
    Trinity_Is_My_Name
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No thanks.
  • UnknownNick
    UnknownNick
    ✭✭
    No thanks.

Motivate please

Characters:
    Arizona Iced Tears
    H P Lovecrafts Cat Name
    Necrophilic
    Tell'em Im Dead Homie
  • DeadlyRecluse
    DeadlyRecluse
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Symmetry=/=balance.

The difference in how magicka and stam toons balance off-stat resources has consistently been on of the few obvious skill checks in this game. It is not symmetrical. That does not mean it isn't balanced.
    Thrice Empress, Forever Scrub
  • GraphicArtistYT
    GraphicArtistYT
    ✭✭✭
    We should have unlimited sprint
  • Stebarnz
    Stebarnz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, I often burn my mind power when running!
  • siddique
    siddique
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    So tanks run with their health? Imagine dying after a sprint lol
    "Knee-jerk reactionist."
    Lost Depths, 2015-2022.
  • WuffyCerulei
    WuffyCerulei
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    So I'd have no magicka to shield if I sprint while using it. Or heal. That'd be a huge issue in BGs too, as sustain in that pvp mode SUCKS.
    For the love of Kyne, buff sorc. PC NACP 2100+Star-Sïnger - Khajiit Magicka Sorc - EP Grand Overlord - Flawless Conqueror vMA/vBRP/vDSA no death/vHel Ra HM/vAA HM/vSO HM/vMoL HM/vHoF HM/vAS +2/vCR+3/vSS HMs/vKA HMs/vVH/vRG Oax HM/vDSR
  • Aurie
    Aurie
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You are talking about sprinting, rather than running are you not?

Personally I run everywhere when I'm not riding, and a cost either in magicka or stamina would be....undesirable. Does anyone ever walk anyway?

However, I assume by 'run' you do mean 'sprint', which is entirely different and usually conducted in short bursts to escape something or relocate fast. Here stamina is more appropriate than magicka, nothing wrong with the system as it is. If it ain't broke don't fix it.....*looking at ZOS*.

Personally I never sprint, so staying with, or changing doesn't matter to me.

Edited by Aurie on June 1, 2019 1:16AM
  • logarifmik
    logarifmik
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sprinting should cost stamina, but current stamina should become some other power source, like focus or discipline. I know how classical health-magicka-stamina triad is, but casting, basically, spells or doing any type of non-magical things shouldn't be tied to stamina like it is now. Though "cardio" like jumping should. Just my humble opinion on the matter.
    EU PC: @logarifmik | Languages: Русский, English
    Dimitri Frernis | Breton Sorcerer | Damage Dealer | Daggerfall Covenant
    Scales-of-Ice | Argonian Warden | Tank / Healer | Daggerfall Covenant
  • ArchMikem
    ArchMikem
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Magicka doesnt fuel your muscles.
    CP1,900+ Master Explorer - AvA One Star General - Console Peasant - The Clan
    Quest Objective: OMG Go Talk To That Kitty!
  • Kiralyn2000
    Kiralyn2000
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Running should cost gold. >:)
  • Dojohoda
    Dojohoda
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    It could resemble mistform without the mist. :D
    Fan of playing magblade since 2015. (PC NA)
    Might be joking in comments.
    -->(((Cyrodiil)))<--
  • Vapirko
    Vapirko
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Symmetry=/=balance.

The difference in how magicka and stam toons balance off-stat resources has consistently been on of the few obvious skill checks in this game. It is not symmetrical. That does not mean it isn't balanced.

Agree with this and contrary to the OPs belief, I actually think this would hurt magicka classes. I think there would be a huge outcry, especially in PvP once people realized how fast their magicka depleted between sprinting and casting. I’ve seen a lot of people ask for this and I don’t think it would be what they think.
  • Gordon906
    Gordon906
    ✭✭✭
    susmitds wrote: »
    Jumping should cost Magicka. Half of the magsorcs in PvP would immediately rage quit.

Good.
  • Hyperion616
    Hyperion616
    ✭✭✭

Sure, I'm poor on the low end because I buy way to much for alts. So I am down with it costing a resource I rarely have a lot of.
    I am patient with stupidity but not with those who are proud of it.

~Edith Sitwell

• Syuko
    Syuko
    ✭✭✭
    Running should cost crowns. 😏
  • Xerikten
    Xerikten
    ✭✭✭✭
    buy a horse and stop being a whinny pvper. B)
  • Muzzick
    Muzzick
    ✭✭✭✭
    Fine the way it is, why does magicka need that much sprinting anyway they have the benefit of range
  • Gilvoth
    Gilvoth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    as long as they add a High stamina cost to jumping im all in.
  • Deep_01
    Deep_01
    ✭✭✭✭
    Ever considered that we instantaneously regenerate more magicka/stamina than spent walking/running?
    @Deepan on PC-EU
  • Androconium
    Androconium
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    In before I get hate comments because my idea is stupid: just THINK ABOUT IT!

Why this trend to describe valid counter-argument as hate?
    Why this trend for amateur game designers to tell the professionals 'how to do it'?

I hate your ideas, because you've already told me that they're stupid.

If you were to suggest ideas that kept players in-game more; thinking about ESO+ more; thinking about Crown Store purchases more; or how to get more hard-core x-of-x players to come here, then you might get a look in. If it doesn't end with ka-*** a sale, then that's not hate; it's just commercial reality.

By the way, of course I don't hate your ideas. I didn't read any of them.

Good 'ol profanity filter. It reminded of a racist slur that I haven't heard used for more than 25 years.
    Edited by Androconium on June 1, 2019 4:58AM
  • UnknownNick
    UnknownNick
    ✭✭
    siddique wrote: »
    So tanks run with their health? Imagine dying after a sprint lol

That would be a cool idea but, it's not the case

Characters:
    Arizona Iced Tears
    H P Lovecrafts Cat Name
    Necrophilic
    Tell'em Im Dead Homie
  • UnknownNick
    UnknownNick
    ✭✭

Damn, I could never run then

Characters:
    Arizona Iced Tears
    H P Lovecrafts Cat Name
    Necrophilic
    Tell'em Im Dead Homie
  • UnknownNick
    UnknownNick
    ✭✭
    Aurelle1 wrote: »
    You are talking about sprinting, rather than running are you not?

Personally I run everywhere when I'm not riding, and a cost either in magicka or stamina would be....undesirable. Does anyone ever walk anyway?

However, I assume by 'run' you do mean 'sprint', which is entirely different and usually conducted in short bursts to escape something or relocate fast. Here stamina is more appropriate than magicka, nothing wrong with the system as it is. If it ain't broke don't fix it.....*looking at ZOS*.

Personally I never sprint, so staying with, or changing doesn't matter to me.

Yeah I'm talking about sprinting

Characters:
    Arizona Iced Tears
    H P Lovecrafts Cat Name
    Necrophilic
    Tell'em Im Dead Homie
  • UnknownNick
    UnknownNick
    ✭✭
    We should have unlimited sprint

That's something I'm already thinking about :dizzy: