The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 6:00PM EDT (22:00 UTC)

Unable to pass Character Screen - An error occurred please try again later - EU/US

KingDragonos
Hi,

I am wondering if someone could help me with this matter please:

I can login into the game and get till the character screen so far so good. But then when i select a character and click on login to enter the world i get the connecting to world and 2-3 minutes later i get the following message

An error occurred. Please try again in a few minutes and then try again

I am playing on EU Megaserver. i even tried to change to the US Megaserver and i get the same message.

Even after the latest maintenance and this week nothing has changed

I did all the troubleshooting that i could find in the ESO forums and Support sites.

Router / Ports / Firewall / Antivirus / PC soft- and hardware updates / contacted my ISP to check if the ports were blocked on their side what is not the case.
Deleted / renamed / files as suggested in support forums, repaired launcher etc....

Since last Thursday i am trying to enter the game but all the troubleshooting didn't help at all and i am pretty sure it is not on my end where the issue lies cause i can enter my credentials and get top the character selection screen.

I contacted the support 72 hours ago and i still didn't got any reply on this matter.

I hope that there might be someone that could help me with this matter since the support doesn't get back to me.

Thank you in advance

Kind regards

• KingDragonos
    I just wanted to add that i am playing multiple MMO's / Games and i don't have any issue with them entering nor connection.

Kind regards
  • ZOS_Bill
    ZOS_Bill
    admin
    @KingDragonos

One troubleshooting step that you did not list doing was removing any add-ons you have been using. The link below goes over how you can remove add-ons which may allow your characters to load in again.

How do I get rid of my add-ons?
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site
    Staff Post
  • CaptainKuijt
    ZOS_BillE wrote: »
    @KingDragonos

One troubleshooting step that you did not list doing was removing any add-ons you have been using. The link below goes over how you can remove add-ons which may allow your characters to load in again.

Because there hasn't been a single hint that there just maybe might be something wrong with the megaservers, right? If something is broken, at least tell us it is broken. When we don't hear anything back after the countless threads posted about this and instead have our threads locked, comments removed/edit, all you do is wind up the community even further.

This is like throwing gasoline on a fire you're trying to put out. Give us some answers! We all love this game, but when it's borderline unplayable due to ping spikes ranging anywhere from 100 to 999+ (!), getting DC'ed randomly without any error message, some players unable to login at all, you owe it to the community to at least keep us in the loop and tell us what is going on.

All these generic replies about addons, port forwarding, run as admin, etc, all this does is increase the level of frustration among the players. We play the game on a daily basis, and the servers have been acting up since Elsweyr released. We've experienced it firsthand, and continue to do so even today.

Please, at least acknowledge that something isn't working the way it should.

- Cap

• KingDragonos
    ZOS_BillE wrote: »
    @KingDragonos

I didn't mention the add-ons cause i don't have any add-ons installed.

Kind regards
  • KingDragonos
    @ZOS_BillE

I didn't mention the add-ons cause i don't have any add-ons installed.

And i can just agree with @CaptainKuijt .

Kind regards
  • KingDragonos
    @ZOS_BillE

Is there any ETA on when you will fix your servers resp. connection issues?

Cause there are so many people that have similar issues with the connection to your servers.

Kind regards
  • Korax
    Korax
    ✭✭✭
    I've been experiencing this issue since September 2018.

ETA?
    I'd suggest 2022.

In the meantime I'd say rather spend your time on an online mmo that is actually, I dunno, available in terms of having the ability to connect to it.

I've giving up trying to even play Elder Scrolls Rarely Online anymore, just keeping it updated and checking this forum in the hopes of a maybe improvement. I gotta thank ZOS tough, they helped me re-discover my Blizzard account. ;)

This games connectivity is so bad, I don't even bother to try connecting to it more than a few times a month.. at least it doesn't disappoint... each and everytime the same result.. booted to the logon screen. Perfect. :)
    Edited by Korax on May 31, 2019 1:40PM
  • chexor
    chexor
    ✭✭✭
    @KingDragonos
    I have same issue, but mine is more specific, i cant pass character load screen and i am getting same error message as you. But this started happening when i switched my ISP few days ago. When i use VPN it works just fine, which means its not about my connection (since every other game works perfectly), it is probably some sort of conflict with their ports and securty, probably something is really outdated on their end and your router/firewall recognize them as unsecure/threat..
  • KingDragonos
    @ZOS_BillE

Is it possible to get an answer on all my questions please on what is going on and when will it be finally fixed?!

Furthermore i did come testing on my side since the support is not able!

I took a brand new laptop installed ESO and i got exactly the same issue.

Getting till the character screen and then when clicking on login comes the window:

"Logging in"
    "Requestion Character load"

then after 2-3 minutes i get the error:

"ERROR"
    "An error occurred. Please wait a few minutes and login again"

C'mon guys can you please get your game / servers fixed.

And the worst part is that you keep everybody in the dark (no answers / when answering no fixing solution / closing posts, aso.......)

People are slowly getting fed that you're not letting us know where the issue is, respectively to give us any details or an ETA on fixing the issues.

Just read the forum subjects and posts, it's is almost all about connectivity issues!!

Thank you for an answer.

Kind regards

• Imza
    Imza
    ✭✭✭✭
    I can log in fine.... no issues at all.

Sounds to me like you have an isp issue. I had the same issue when I first started playing - changed isp - no more problem.
  • KingDragonos
    @Imza

I checked with my ISP and there everything is fine. Cause i had the same ISP when i first started playing the game years back and there everything is working fine.

I suppose that they are having issues on their side with account IP locks.

Kind regards

• Imza
    Imza
    ✭✭✭✭
    @KingDragonos it sounds like you're having a timeout issue.....

have you tried using a vpn like battleping or mudfish?
  • KingDragonos
    @Imza

Why should i use a VPN when they say that there are EU and NA Megaservers (even that the EU Megaserver is based in US)

I don't have any issues with all my other MMO's or other Games i play just with ESO.

And it is not normal that i need to use a VPN to play their game!
  • Imza
    Imza
    ✭✭✭✭
    @KingDragonos I didn't suggest that you use it on a permanent basis - but that you use it to test if you might have an issue with timing out....

If you're not prepared to go the extra mile and test what could possibly be the problem..... then so be it.... I wash my hands.....
  • KingDragonos
    @Imza i'll give it a try

will keep you posted
  • KingDragonos
    @Imza after doing the test indeed with the VPN i can get into the game.

But it is completely ridiculous to think of that you need a VPN to access the game.

When i turned it back off, i got again the same error message.

Kind regards
  • huskeywalker
    I have had the same problem all day. I have been playing ESO for the last 3 months on PCEU with no problems, but today nearly every time I have a change of location I drop out. The latest I had completed the Wailing prison and was moving to Bleakrock isle and every time it drops out. I have removed all my Add ons and re booted pc but it still drops out. will try to see what happen on the mac and report back.
    regards
  • chexor
    chexor
    ✭✭✭
    This is extremely hard to explain why does ESO have this issues and other games dont.. I have exact same issue, i changed 2 ISP's where i had issues with packetloss, and now i signed a contract for optic fiber line which cost alot of money just so i can find out that i cant even login to the game without a vpn.. Sad story is that even tho i bought premium VPN packet, ping is still way higher then it should normally be..
  • KingDragonos
    I just hope that they will solve that issue ASAP!
  • Imza
    Imza
    ✭✭✭✭
    I chose to go with an isp that is game friendly and it made a huge difference.

originally once the game was working properly I had a ping of around 240 - not great but quite acceptable.

Now several years on and many expansion later, I have an average ping of 380. This is not acceptable and mostly not playable if I want to do end-game stuff. For just open world stuff I can manage the high ping - just.

My problem is that I live at the bottom of the world in a country of less than 5 million people. ESO has absolutely no incentive to fix the game for us in the south pacific.

So - now I use a vpn all the time if I want to play.

EDIT: I know this is frustrating - believe me - I quit for 8 months because of this...

@KingDragonos - What that tells me (the troubleshooting me) is that it is indeed an error/issue of timing out somewhere along the route that your isp is using... not an issue with ZoS. Most likely caused by Akamai the company that ZoS uses to guard against ddos.

There is a huge issue for us in the south pacific with Akamai and there are many threads here in the forums about it.

I am glad to see that if you really wanted to - you could play.

@chexor

It is not ZoS that is the problem - it is most likely that AKAMAI is the problem.
    Edited by Imza on June 1, 2019 8:17PM
  • KingDragonos
    @Imza ty for the info but ZOS need to get in touch with AKAMAI and fix this issue due they put a game on the market and they responsible for the good functioning of it.

And my ISP is totally fin due that all the other MMO's work perfectly fine.
    And to add from the ISP is the market leader and n°1 in my country so there are no issues, and on top i have a fiber optic in 500 mb down and 250 up.

So clearly ZOS need to fix their stuff and or with their partners!!

And the worst part is they don't reply they don't give info nor any updates.

Edited by KingDragonos on June 1, 2019 8:45PM
  • AsNied
    AsNied
    ✭✭✭
    I had this error too. I was thinking maybe is my internet connection, but now Im sure it's not.
  • narcotic075
    narcotic075
    Soul Shriven
    Some issues from today:
    - Login Error after selected character: An error occurred. Please try again in a few minutes and then try again
    - Game stacked at loading character
    - Game doesn't load on the loading screens

Yday everything was fine here
  • marc.whiffenb16_ESO
    I have a similar problem except I can't even get to the Character Select screen. I get "Server connection timed out" followed by "Internal Error". Happens on the EU, NA and PTS servers. Checked my ISP to see if there are service status issues, nothing. No other game or connection having problems of any sort. Wife has exactly the same issue
    Edited by marc.whiffenb16_ESO on June 2, 2019 4:42PM
  • capahab
    capahab
    I have a similar problem except I can't even get to the Character Select screen. I get "Server connection timed out" followed by "Internal Error". Happens on the EU, NA and PTS servers. Checked my ISP to see if there are service status issues, nothing. No other game or connection having problems of any sort. Wife has exactly the same issue

Same here. PC NA. Worked fine yesterday.

• marc.whiffenb16_ESO
    capahab wrote: »

Same here. PC NA. Worked fine yesterday.

Thanks. Glad it's not only us. It happened some time in the last 45 minutes as the wife was playing fine. Then we had dinner and now nothing works
    Edited by marc.whiffenb16_ESO on June 2, 2019 4:51PM
  • capahab
    capahab
    I just got in after multiple attempts, FWIW.
  • marc.whiffenb16_ESO
    Just got in again myself. And getting to the character select screen was a lot faster than before. Odd, but I am not complaining
  • KingDragonos
    Rackiera wrote: »
    After a long battle with support finally someone decided that maybe they should talk to development about it, actually turns out that the Devs are aware and working on a patch to fix the crash / disconnects issue it's just they forgot to tell support who therefore assumed there were no actual ESO issues and 'it's the players ISP, Machine, Addon' or whatever.

I personally think the above is good news, however the frustration this lack of communication between departments has caused is massive and I would hope that this would never be an issue again and lessons can be learnt - main one being listen to your players more and check first before making assumptions.

I was expected to try and setup a static IP, make a new windows account, reinstall, repair, patch, speak to my ISP, the hours I have lost on this let alone the damage I could have done to my system if I had messed about with IP, DNS addresses etc, all due to lack of communication.

I think the playerbase deserves an apology for this and hope someone is 'big enough' to actually make one.

@Rackiera thank you so much that you actually got trough them and got an actual answer what i am trying for so long as well and don't get anything just the same as you that i am having the issue and with ESO everything is fine.

For this awesome news i post your comment in my forum post to spread these awesome news. @Rackiera thanks again!

• Korax
    Korax
    ✭✭✭
    "An error occurred please try again next year"