Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 15
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
The issue is resolved, and the North American PC/Mac megaserver is now available. Thank you for your patience!

magplar, now for Elsweyr

• ecru
    ecru
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sergykid wrote: »
    i used to be pretty good with it, but they nerfed what i used. The initial burst of Vampire's Bane, gutted Dark Flare (wasn't using it, but still), gutted Total Dark. I am still pretty good, but i am noticeably weaker.

i am playing ranged single target, meaning fire staff front, resto backbar, light armor bright, jewels rattlecage, and skoria/pirate helm. I don't want to play melee with shock staff even if that would be better, but the gap closer sucks cuz the target can simply outrun it since this gap closer doesn't stick us to the target, it only flies to target's current position in the moment of usage. Also sweeps is hard to land. Crescent is good but hard to land.

what advice can you give for this patch? should i drop Total Dark for Flame Clench? Should i start wearing shield, for whatever reason? i can acquire anything in the game but i am not sure how should i play magplar ranged dd, not even Soul Assault ultimate isn't enough anymore.

EDIT: forgot to mention, i am veteran to pvping and ESO, don't come with useless advice for beginners, and avoid bloat posting. I am talking here about noCP pvp, both Cryodill and BGs.

puncturing strikes/sweep/jabs was just buffed by 30%

just spam it. it's now the best spammable in the game.
    Edited by ecru on May 28, 2019 10:35PM
    Gryphon Heart
    Godslayer
    Dawnbringer
  • Minno
    Minno
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kartalin wrote: »
    Minno wrote: »
    mursie wrote: »
    Datolite wrote: »
    You have a ranged execute and are not using it. I even slot that and I am melee.

i do have it on my bar. My bar is vampire bane, sweeps (as spammable when they come close, or to chase nb, and for the passive), oppression, total dark, elemental drain, and soul assault.

my rotation is basically purify light from backbar, switch bar then vampire bane, then ele drain, then total dark and soul assault or oppression.

i could try changing total dark for clench, but what proc backbar setup should i use? transmute is good but it has low value, i could change rattlecage for another defensive set, but using entropy every 20 sec is hard in pvp. I have to place a lot of abilities already.

you're so close to a melee spec - i think you should give it a try.

the rotation is sound. backbar purify light, switch into vamp bane and ele drain. Now toppling charge into your target and begin sweeping. end with oppression/soul assault if you desire. based on that list of items, cyrodiil's light sounds really good. you channel sweeps, you channel oppression, you channel soul assault. would make sense.

my issue - what is best to pair with light? someone showed BTB. maybe shackle. maybe trans. not sure. still deciding.

intrigued by @Minno's idea of back bar trans and steadfast...but that of course kills off ability to use light. does add willpower front bar staff as option.

also still trying to decide if vampire needs to go. currently using light and steadfast as highelf and while survival is good out of stuns via channeled mist form, mediate, sweeps, etc...... i can literally be 100-0'd in a stun and therefore sets are wasted.

5l, 2h. Its possible.

Actually, 2x rings, chest, shield then 4 body trans 1 sword. BOOM
    Ooh, I like that. Solves the problem I had with losing the 4th piece bonus of steadfast on the front bar if I ran resto. With major protection gone from resto ult I’m ready to try s&b again.

it feels very solid, i just tried it.
    Minno - DC - Forum-plar Extraordinaire
    - Guild-lead for MV
    - Filthy Casual
  • Minno
    Minno
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You have a ranged execute and are not using it. I even slot that and I am melee.

i do have it on my bar. My bar is vampire bane, sweeps (as spammable when they come close, or to chase nb, and for the passive), oppression, total dark, elemental drain, and soul assault.

my rotation is basically purify light from backbar, switch bar then vampire bane, then ele drain, then total dark and soul assault or oppression.

i could try changing total dark for clench, but what proc backbar setup should i use? transmute is good but it has low value, i could change rattlecage for another defensive set, but using entropy every 20 sec is hard in pvp. I have to place a lot of abilities already.

the rotation is sound. backbar purify light, switch into vamp bane and ele drain. Now toppling charge into your target and begin sweeping. end with oppression/soul assault if you desire. based on that list of items, cyrodiil's light sounds really good. you channel sweeps, you channel oppression, you channel soul assault. would make sense.

my issue - what is best to pair with light? someone showed BTB. maybe shackle. maybe trans. not sure. still deciding.

intrigued by @Minno's idea of back bar trans and steadfast...but that of course kills off ability to use light. does add willpower front bar staff as option.

also still trying to decide if vampire needs to go. currently using light and steadfast as highelf and while survival is good out of stuns via channeled mist form, mediate, sweeps, etc...... i can literally be 100-0'd in a stun and therefore sets are wasted.

5l, 2h. Its possible.

and where's the damage at? sure you have lots of defenses and utility for group, but you can kill anything. Most of the times, a quick kill will avoid any need to heal something.

My jabs tooltip dropped to 3800 with DW swords. I was running 2x DMG sets and seeing 900 numbers or lower was disheartening.

Could run staff front witheke drain too. Valkyn/grothdarr procs needed.
    - Guild-lead for MV
    - Filthy Casual
  • Iskiab
    Iskiab
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Iskiab wrote: »

5l, 2h. Its possible.

Hum? Maybe I’m misunderstanding but the best way is:

Monster light
    Steadfast H Chest and Legs, 1x jewellery and back bar weapon
    Trans rest of the armour x3, 2x jewellery
    Front bar weapon set

However I don’t think it’s that great. You’ll be tanky but won’t be able to pump out any damage. You’re far better off with a main damage set then running skoria.

Imo trans + damage + bloodspawn > trans + steadfast + skoria. Skoria just isn’t that good.

When you plan your build calculate your mitigation with buffs and then shave off 10k. Without enough mitigation you’re going to be squishy.

Major protection trumps mitigation especially against builds with high pen or bleeds. Essentially you’ll have 50% uptime.

I’m not sold entirely on steadfast over pirate skeleton but it’s so buggy and locks me on one bar even with the skelly polymorph at times.

I don’t know if I agree with that. Mitigation’s still really good, along with major protection being really good.

Penetration is an issue, but it’s moreso that the first 10k goes down the toilet so people have the perception of mitigation being bad. What you invest past 10k is great... but I would still aim for 30k resists if you’re going melee.

If you like sweeps and use it defensively rather then melee a good setup might be trans, light of cyrodiil and x monster in a ranged style. Maybe 1 infused recovery (depending on your target), 2x protective spell power. Only downside is lack of passive defense (excluding procs) making you vulnerable to ganking.
    Edited by Iskiab on May 28, 2019 11:15PM
    Looking for any guildies I used to play with:
    Havoc Warhammer - Alair
    LoC EQ2 - Mayi and Iskiab
    Condemned and Tabula Rasa - Rift - Iskiab
    Or anyone else I used to play games with in guilds I’ve forgotten
  • Minno
    Minno
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

5l, 2h. Its possible.

Monster light
    Front bar weapon set

However I don’t think it’s that great. You’ll be tanky but won’t be able to pump out any damage. You’re far better off with a main damage set then running skoria.

Imo trans + damage + bloodspawn > trans + steadfast + skoria. Skoria just isn’t that good.

When you plan your build calculate your mitigation with buffs and then shave off 10k. Without enough mitigation you’re going to be squishy.

Major protection trumps mitigation especially against builds with high pen or bleeds. Essentially you’ll have 50% uptime.

I’m not sold entirely on steadfast over pirate skeleton but it’s so buggy and locks me on one bar even with the skelly polymorph at times.

I don’t know if I agree with that. Mitigation’s still really good, along with major protection being really good.

Penetration is an issue, but it’s moreso that the first 10k goes down the toilet so people have the perception of mitigation being bad. What you invest past 10k is great... but I would still aim for 30k resists if you’re going melee.

If you like sweeps and use it defensively rather then melee a good setup might be trans, light of cyrodiil and x monster in a ranged style. Maybe 1 infused recovery (depending on your target), 2x protective spell power. Only downside is lack of passive defense (excluding procs) making you vulnerable to ganking.

With the way vulnerabilities work, major percentage based mitigation sources are subtracted from the total number of vulnerabilities. Armor is calculated multiplicative and after crits/maim/percentage. Anything left over from the subtracting is also multiplicative.

This comes straight from paul. He's currently testing how CP is involved and what order buffs/debuffs are added.

This means crit resist+percentage mitigation are needed more than armor, against some targets.
    - Guild-lead for MV
    - Filthy Casual
  • Minno
    Minno
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

5l, 2h. Its possible.

Monster light
    Front bar weapon set

With the way vulnerabilities work, major percentage based mitigation sources are subtracted from the total number of vulnerabilities. Armor is calculated multiplicative and after crits/maim/percentage. Anything left over from the subtracting is also multiplicative.

This comes straight from paul. He's currently testing how CP is involved and what order buffs/debuffs are added.

This means crit resist+percentage mitigation are needed more than armor, against some targets.

Long edit:
    "You know how I told you Minor Protection canceled out Minor Vulnerability and I was gonna test if the 2 Majors did the same. Well I was only half right. Minor Protection, Major Protection, Major Evasion, Minor Evasion, Vampire Mists, and probably other sources yet to be tested SUBTRACT from Vulnerability regardless of the sources of the Vulnerabilities.

I tested them against Engulfing Flames, Vampire Rank 4, Minor Vulnerability and Way of Martial Knowledge. These 4 stack in a additive way, for a total of 53% extra damage taken. But so for example against Mist form, Instead of being DMG*1.53*0.25=0.3825 its DMG*(1+(53-75)/100)=0.78. Which is obviously a HUGE difference. I have yet to test this with all sources of mitigation but I can tell you that Armor does NOT work this way and is still multiplicative. And non of the ones after DMG shields are affected either. Gonna try and test as many of the other sources as I can and to also understand how it works when you use multiple sources of mitigation, cause for example. Using Mist Form and Minor Protection has Mist form be Subtractive but Minor Protection is multiplicative. aka, once there is no Vulnerability left then they are not adding into each other, but what decides what mitigation sources goes first? Those are things left to be tested as well as the giant pain in my ass that is CP, cause it never *** adds up."
    - Guild-lead for MV
    - Filthy Casual
  • Iskiab
    Iskiab
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Hum, so it’s something like (total vulnerabilities % -total % protections+1)* base damage. Still doesn’t mean resistances are any less needed, it’s just fine tuning on the vulnerabilities portion of the damage calculation, where resistances are multiplicative.

It would be nice to know how it works though. Minor vulnerability is a lot more common in Elys.
    Edited by Iskiab on May 29, 2019 3:19AM
    Havoc Warhammer - Alair
  • BNOC
    BNOC
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Do you not find it more productive to have TD back bar and have your POTL front? That way you can just weave dps constantly and flip to your back bar when needed, you don't always need to TD someone but always want POTL up, if that makes sense.
    vMSA - Magplar - Xbox EU - 15/11/16
    578,000 - 36 Minutes 58 Seconds (Top 2 World?)

vMSA - Magplar - Xbox NA
    569,000 - 40 minutes (350CP, Non optimised runs)
  • Sergykid
    Sergykid
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    BNOC wrote: »

Do you not find it more productive to have TD back bar and have your POTL front? That way you can just weave dps constantly and flip to your back bar when needed, you don't always need to TD someone but always want POTL up, if that makes sense.

i need to have Total Dark ready for when things go bad. I also try to spam it in order to drain target's stamina.
    -PC EU- / battlegrounds on my youtube
  • Minno
    Minno
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hum, so it’s something like (total vulnerabilities % -total % protections+1)* base damage. Still doesn’t mean resistances are any less needed, it’s just fine tuning on the vulnerabilities portion of the damage calculation, where resistances are multiplicative.

It would be nice to know how it works though. Minor vulnerability is a lot more common in Elys.

Yea. My guess is that while armor is important, taking 53% DMG after a 1.6 crit mod is not. That's like 112% DMG for free lol.
    - Guild-lead for MV
    - Filthy Casual
  • Iskiab
    Iskiab
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Yea. My guess is that while armor is important, taking 53% DMG after a 1.6 crit mod is not. That's like 112% DMG for free lol.

I’m not sure what you mean, but I’d liken it more to looking at stamina and weapon power or magicka and spell power for damage. You can stack one attribute like spell power and let your magicka suffer, but are usually best off with both.

Like if you stack % damage reductions and ignore resistances (something I was considering as a magblade) then the problem is when other players provide buffs like major protection. Everyone else will benefit except you because your build is resolves around already having it.

Off topic, but whatever. It’s one of the reasons I like Buffer of the Swift as a MagWarden, unnamed 10% player damage reduction.
    Havoc Warhammer - Alair
  • Minno
    Minno
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I’m not sure what you mean, but I’d liken it more to looking at stamina and weapon power or magicka and spell power for damage. You can stack one attribute like spell power and let your magicka suffer, but are usually best off with both.

Like if you stack % damage reductions and ignore resistances (something I was considering as a magblade) then the problem is when other players provide buffs like major protection. Everyone else will benefit except you because your build is resolves around already having it.

Off topic, but whatever. It’s one of the reasons I like Buffer of the Swift as a MagWarden, unnamed 10% player damage reduction.

new info on vulnerabilities is that you subtract them from your percentage mitigation. After that, you calculate any percentage left over as multiplicative followed by the armor mitigation. So this is why we are taking more dmg than normal.
    - Guild-lead for MV
    - Filthy Casual
  • EtTuBrutus
    EtTuBrutus
    ✭✭✭✭✭

new info on vulnerabilities is that you subtract them from your percentage mitigation. After that, you calculate any percentage left over as multiplicative followed by the armor mitigation. So this is why we are taking more dmg than normal.

Yay