The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

LOVE faction lock

• Minno
    Minno
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    factions locks; the tool zos added so they can accurately track the playerbase. My tin-foil hat says changes to cyro incoming, if the numbers support it (or negative changes if the numbers prove they should). But in reality, I bet its to track the use of the artifact weapons.

They will remove it once they get the right data lol. This isn't about you nor about fair gameplay in cyro ;)
    Minno - DC - Forum-plar Extraordinaire
    - Guild-lead for MV
    - Filthy Casual
  • Dunkelblitz
    I am happy to see faction lock coming to Xbox. So we can get rid of all those traitors who do spying for their factions. Last time I have seen a guy (hardcore DC player) who tried to shoot down the walls of Farragut with his sneaky EP char. Was funny to see that this is not possible, but made me upset to see how this guy wants to get an advantage for his DC guild members which waited outside for their chance to get in.

He also joined the EP chat to start trolling. Now this time is over, I only want to see him laying in the ground.
    Edited by Dunkelblitz on May 23, 2019 10:39PM
    Playing on Xbox PvP with my MagBlade. FTP!!!
  • Miriel
    Miriel
    ✭✭✭✭
    Minno wrote: »
    factions locks; the tool zos added so they can accurately track the playerbase. My tin-foil hat says changes to cyro incoming, if the numbers support it (or negative changes if the numbers prove they should). But in reality, I bet its to track the use of the artifact weapons.

They will remove it once they get the right data lol. This isn't about you nor about fair gameplay in cyro ;)

Yea lol, it only took us a few years to get faction locks back, with the speed ZOS changes things, if they do it at all in pvp, i sure youll see a change in 2022...
  • Siohwenoeht
    Siohwenoeht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Yep. Said it myself in a few of these threads. Major changes are on the horizon and zos needs either data, or they need a clear victor for the three banners war.

My crazy theory is that the alliances will fail soon, and open world PVP will be morphed into something completely different than cyro and IC.
    "It is a lovely language, but it takes a very long time saying anything in it, because we do not say anything in it, unless it is worth taking a long time to say, and to listen to." - Treebeard
  • J18696
    J18696
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Yep. Said it myself in a few of these threads. Major changes are on the horizon and zos needs either data, or they need a clear victor for the three banners war.

My crazy theory is that the alliances will fail soon, and open world PVP will be morphed into something completely different than cyro and IC.

Go on ......
    PC NA Server
    @J18696
    Characters
    Pridē - Dragonknight
    Vanıty - Arcanist
  • Siohwenoeht
    Siohwenoeht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    J18696 wrote: »

Go on ......
    @J18696
    Hehe.

Well, we know the AD eventually breaks up, iirc after the death of Queen Aryenn, High King Emeric fails to keep the Covenant unified, and the Pact just has too much tension to stay cohesive. I can't remember all the lore exactly but it's on the UESP site.

We still have quite a ways to go in terms of the timeline before Tiber Septim, but at some point various warlords take control of the IC and Cyrodiil, culminating with Cuhlecain claiming the throne in 2e854 only to be assassinated within days and Tiber Septim taking his place.

Now, I can't imagine that the three banners war would continue for 500 years, especially since we know the alliances eventually fail. We know of no outside interventions ie invasions from other continents, so at some point, Cyrodiil becomes relatively peaceful again.

On to my PVP theory: it will become more amorphous, maybe a nation vs. nation free for all so instead of picking an alliance, you potentially are at war with everyone. I imagine this as "hotspots" around the unfilled portions of the map, almost like large scale battlegrounds, but with siege and objectives just like current cyro.

And that's the short version. ;)
    "It is a lovely language, but it takes a very long time saying anything in it, because we do not say anything in it, unless it is worth taking a long time to say, and to listen to." - Treebeard
  • Mr_Walker
    Mr_Walker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    factions locks; the tool zos added so they can accurately track the playerbase.

Really? If they need to do this to track the player base, everyone involved should be fired. Highly unlikely.
  • Mr_Walker
    Mr_Walker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    zyk wrote: »
    The most difficult part of adapting to the faction lock will be the players rebelling against it. They were bored anyway, so their new game will be shtting on the map and doing their best to make sure one side dominates.. which has already lead to tats for those tits, it seems.

ZOS underestimated the petulance of its players -- which truly shows how out of touch they are. ;)

Or maybe it's just maths at play.
  • bulbousb16_ESO
    bulbousb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mr_Walker wrote: »
    What kind of maths?

Lethal zergling
  • Mr_Walker
    Mr_Walker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    What kind of maths?

Basic.
  • bulbousb16_ESO
    bulbousb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Basic.
    Well, if they're THAT basic, then even I should be able to understand. Why don't you try?
    Lethal zergling
  • Nogawd
    Nogawd
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    +1 for the lock!
  • Miriel
    Miriel
    ✭✭✭✭

Go on ......
    @J18696
    Hehe.

Well, we know the AD eventually breaks up, iirc after the death of Queen Aryenn, High King Emeric fails to keep the Covenant unified, and the Pact just has too much tension to stay cohesive. I can't remember all the lore exactly but it's on the UESP site.

We still have quite a ways to go in terms of the timeline before Tiber Septim, but at some point various warlords take control of the IC and Cyrodiil, culminating with Cuhlecain claiming the throne in 2e854 only to be assassinated within days and Tiber Septim taking his place.

Now, I can't imagine that the three banners war would continue for 500 years, especially since we know the alliances eventually fail. We know of no outside interventions ie invasions from other continents, so at some point, Cyrodiil becomes relatively peaceful again.

On to my PVP theory: it will become more amorphous, maybe a nation vs. nation free for all so instead of picking an alliance, you potentially are at war with everyone. I imagine this as "hotspots" around the unfilled portions of the map, almost like large scale battlegrounds, but with siege and objectives just like current cyro.

If i recall the lore right, dosent the Dominion actually survive ?
  • Beardimus
    Beardimus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Judging by the comments gamers just aren't good at the change curve huh.....
    Xbox One | EU | EP
    Beardimus : VR16 Dunmer MagSorc [RIP MagDW 2015-2018]
    Emperor of Sotha Sil 02-2018 & Sheogorath 05-2019
    1st Emperor of Ravenwatch
    Alts - - for the Lolz
    Archimus : Bosmer Thief / Archer / Werewolf
    Orcimus : Fat drunk Orc battlefield 1st aider
    Scalimus - Argonian Sorc Healer / Pet master

Fighting small scale with : The SAXON Guild
    Fighting with [PvP] : The Undaunted Wolves
    Trading Guilds : TradersOfNirn | FourSquareTraders

Xbox One | NA | EP
    Bëardimus : L43 Dunmer Magsorc / BG
    Heals-With-Pets : VR16 Argonian Sorc PvP / BG Healer
    Nordimus : VR16 Stamsorc
    Beardimus le 13iem : L30 Dunmer Magsorc Icereach
  • ellahellabella
    ellahellabella
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Miriel wrote: »

Go on ......
    @J18696
    Hehe.

If i recall the lore right, dosent the Dominion actually survive ?

No. There's been 3 Dominions by Skyrim.
    Read this if you're curious about it.
    https://en.m.uesp.net/wiki/Lore:Aldmeri_Dominion
    Try to read everything I write with an Australian accent

PC NA
    ZOMBIE DEATH MACHINE
    Vanguard
    Outcasts
    Full faction locks are only further dividing an already dwindling pvp community

Toons:
    Ebonheart Pact
    Sophis (M. Templar), Lilivah Rallenar (M. Sorcerer), Diakoptês (M. Dragonknight), Pins and Needles (M. Nightblade), Claws-your-Curtains (S. Sorcerer), Raan-Mir-Tah (M Warden), Hezik (S Warden)

Aldmeri Dominion
    Sophis-ticated (M. Templar), Tis not easy being Green (S. Dragonknight)

Daggerfall Covernant
    Sirius Delatora (M. Nightblade), Ellaberry (S. Templar), Ellabear (pve tank) Claìr De Lune (M. Sorc)
  • Mr_Walker
    Mr_Walker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Basic.
    Well, if they're THAT basic, then even I should be able to understand. Why don't you try?

I feel I'm casting pearls before swine, and this has been explianed before, but here it is simply.

During prime time, when pop lock is on, the pops are, say 200 each. So 200/200/200. % diff. = 0%

Off peak, the pop is often v. small, say 20/20/20 (if lucky). If one group of 20 players decide to play together, say from one guild, then that population shifts to say 40/20/20, so one faction then has a 100% numbers advantage. If they are folk who would generally play toons across 3 factions, that may be even worse, you could potentially end up with numbers like 50/15/15, which is a pop. advantage of +230%. That population advantage is now baked in for 30 days, enjoy seeing the map painted one colour every off peak.

If it's your faction, you take all scrolls, all keeps, all resources for 8 hours, you win the campaign, but regardless of what faction is winning, the game as a whole loses.

Get it now? Simple numbers game, with problems exacerbated by a low pop base, locked in for a 30 day period.

Expect it to favour EP due to the feed in from Skyrim. No great conspiracy needed, no petty "ha middle finger to faction locks". Just a small population imbalance by a reasonable sized group.
  • kpittsniperb14_ESO
    kpittsniperb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭

Great theory but I don't see it happening. The most we can expect these days from ZOS is periodic siege damage adjustments.
    Edited by kpittsniperb14_ESO on May 24, 2019 9:45AM
    Magicka DK-Rowsdowerr
    Tertiary Meat GM
    "they're going to say, there's Daniel and he has 20 people with him, I want to kill him and there's
    40 more behind me."
    "I'm tired of the BS excuses, if you're going to do what you do at least admit what you're doing"
    YEEEEEAAAAAHHHH!!!
  • bulbousb16_ESO
    bulbousb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If one group of 20 players decide to play together, say from one guild, then that population shifts to say 40/20/20, so one faction then has a 100% numbers advantage.
    The reason why this is not relevant is because this option is available to any faction. Anybody can mount a consistent off-hours offensive. And there is nothing wrong with that; more power to them.

But this is not what we are seeing; we are seeing massive population imbalance during prime time hours - more than faction enrollment numbers would indicate.
    Lethal zergling
  • CatchMeTrolling
    CatchMeTrolling
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    EP has always had the most players, I’m sure the percentage is higher for pvp since they have always been first or second when it comes to dominating a campaign. With faction lock now you’re seeing the EP players that have been playing other alliances actually playing EP, I don’t know what’s so hard to grasp about that.

Especially if those players have more characters or friends belonging to EP.
  • bulbousb16_ESO
    bulbousb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    EP has always had the most players, I’m sure the percentage is higher for pvp since they have always been first or second when it comes to dominating a campaign.
    I agree on both counts. But the participation numbers we're now seeing are higher than what they should be according to the population stats.

We can all agree that, before faction lock, there were people that used to play all sides of the campaign, for balance, for AP, or for friends.

You are suggesting that most of those people are now playing EP because that is where their heart is. If I am being honest, I will agree that this is the case for some people.

I am suggesting that many of those people are now playing EP because they want to emphasize the imbalance they predicted that would arise from the implementation of faction locks. If YOU are being honest, you would have to agree as well.

Edited by bulbousb16_ESO on May 24, 2019 7:29PM
    Lethal zergling
  • Haashhtaag
    Haashhtaag
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They’re playing ep likely because that’s where a majority of their characters are, friends, etc. And when FORCED to choose a faction they went to the one that would maximize their transmute rewards.
  • ShadowProc
    ShadowProc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would be fine with faction locks if they offered alliance changes. Making One Tamriel and encouraging cross faction play only to later lock down factions again is just sending mixed messages at best...

This. So much this. Let us move all our rooms to the faction we want to fight for for the duration of campaign. Sucks not being able to most toons.

Hurts those that made toons across multiple factions to help with balance.
  • NBrookus
    NBrookus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

I don't see it happening. Two reason:

1) There's tons of PVE content revolving around the alliance war. (Remember PVE? It's what most people in this game do or we'd have more active campaigns and you wouldn't see the same 200 people over and over.) They'd have to create some sort of time travel, or else re-do that content. To be fair, I'm supposed to know
    Raz is the Eye of the Queen on a lowbie DC character that just met him.
    , so they might ignore the logic. However...

2) It would be a huge investment in PVP, and if they were going to make that kind of investment, it would probably make more sense to work on the inefficient character model or skills code or whatever code is the source of the reason why your skills don't fire when you use them in Cyrodiil.
    Edited by NBrookus on May 25, 2019 9:08PM
  • Telel
    Telel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Khajiit is finding it most amusing at all the new excuses the blobbers and newb farmers are inventing. Especially now that it is harder to feed themselves free points, and or call in extra backup.

This one is especially tickled by the latest act of comedy they have seen some attempt. Specifically the one where it's all about 'punishing' other players for not letting them do as they will. Which is definitely not code for them being enraged over having their reliance on exploitative tactics revealed.

However this one is seeing that they are also continuing to telling the big joke of all. The one that ends in a proclamation of greatness over 'lesser' mortals. A claim that has yet to be proven by actual actions. Especially since such actions could easily be proven in the area provided for them to do so.

But alas they choose to go to where they claim they do not wish to be, and hiss and spit at everyone in front of them. Which they do from behind a wall formed by massed bodies of course. A wall they will remain,safely behind until they find things becoming moderately difficult.

They'll then flee somewhere else while screeching out cries declaring how they don't really care about the campaign anyways.

Which just makes khajiit laugh, and laugh, and laugh as they continue to regurgiate all those hilarious jokes , and tall TALL tales.

Though khajiit can understand their need for the latter. After all, if one has spent so much time sinking so low it's only inevitable that they'd welcome even the illusion of heights.
    Character: Telel
    Class: Night Blade-Werewolf-viking-ninja-catgirl-mallet wielder
    Past times: Refusing to go full magika spec, hitting things with a big hammer, sniping, and speaking in khajiit
    Also: Gelel the Derp Knight, Altsel the streaker, and Filafel the temp temp.

Khajiit has a twitch stream! https://twitch.tv/telel_khajiit feel free to come see how truly unskilled Telel is.
  • Elong
    Elong
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Telel wrote: »
    Khajiit is finding it most amusing at all the new excuses the blobbers and newb farmers are inventing. Especially now that it is harder to feed themselves free points, and or call in extra backup.

This one is especially tickled by the latest act of comedy they have seen some attempt. Specifically the one where it's all about 'punishing' other players for not letting them do as they will. Which is definitely not code for them being enraged over having their reliance on exploitative tactics revealed.

However this one is seeing that they are also continuing to telling the big joke of all. The one that ends in a proclamation of greatness over 'lesser' mortals. A claim that has yet to be proven by actual actions. Especially since such actions could easily be proven in the area provided for them to do so.

But alas they choose to go to where they claim they do not wish to be, and hiss and spit at everyone in front of them. Which they do from behind a wall formed by massed bodies of course. A wall they will remain,safely behind until they find things becoming moderately difficult.

They'll then flee somewhere else while screeching out cries declaring how they don't really care about the campaign anyways.

Which just makes khajiit laugh, and laugh, and laugh as they continue to regurgiate all those hilarious jokes , and tall TALL tales.

Though khajiit can understand their need for the latter. After all, if one has spent so much time sinking so low it's only inevitable that they'd welcome even the illusion of heights.

I mean, if you're happy losing by 5k points, that's all good, cos we don't care about the campaign right?
  • Thogard
    Thogard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Did Telel just imply that I’m a low skill zergling?

This is officially my favorite thread.

I’ve never seen an issue more cleanly delineate good players from bad. Even earthgore had a few organized ball groups that loved it.

But with faction lock we’ve finally found a way to immediately ascertain how good someone is. That’s pretty good.
    PC NA - @dazkt - Dazk Ardoonkt / Sir Thogalot / Dask Dragoh’t / Dazk Dragoh’t / El Thogardo

Stream: twitch.tv/THOGARDvsThePeasants
    YouTube: http://youtube.com/c/thogardpvp

• Telel
    Telel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Elong wrote: »

I mean, if you're happy losing by 5k points, that's all good, cos we don't care about the campaign right?

Khajiit does indeed play to score points when they're on. They also intend to do so no matter how lost the cause, and no matter what the 'good' players try to do to stop it.

Furthermore if people choose to be so bad at this game they must fight empty keeps with dozens of 'pros' then there is little this one can do. Other than laugh at how much effort it takes for them to do what even Telel has accomplished with only one random person backing them up.

And if the 'winners' of such a campaign then choose to raise toasts to their own 'skill' then this one also can do little but laugh, and keep trying their best.

Though Telel supposes they could also try to become as great and grand as those who are saying they're such a thing. But then this one could also go Bobbing for horseapples in a latrine. One frequented by incontinent orgres and Nords.

The end result would be much the same this one thinks.

Fortunately this means that that part of it has changed very little for khajiit. They were already dealing with such individuals after all, and they will continue to be disappointments no matter what excuses they invent to justify it.

What has changed though is certain people who are reliant on certain tactics are now less numerous, more easily dealt with, and far far more elfed than this one is. A situation that seems to be driving them into a great hissy fits.

Which is what makes this one laugh all the harder.
    Character: Telel
    Class: Night Blade-Werewolf-viking-ninja-catgirl-mallet wielder
    Past times: Refusing to go full magika spec, hitting things with a big hammer, sniping, and speaking in khajiit
    Also: Gelel the Derp Knight, Altsel the streaker, and Filafel the temp temp.

Khajiit has a twitch stream! https://twitch.tv/telel_khajiit feel free to come see how truly unskilled Telel is.
  • bulbousb16_ESO
    bulbousb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thogard wrote: »
    I’ve never seen an issue more cleanly delineate good players from bad. Even earthgore had a few organized ball groups that loved it.
    I do agree with you there. Those opposed to faction lock are quite obviously "bad" players that don't understand this game; frankly if they drop from attrition, we're all better off.
    Lethal zergling
  • Regal_Imp
    Regal_Imp
    ✭✭✭
    First of all, good players tend to want to fight AGAINST the zerg, not for it. Small scale PvPers would generally swap factions to the losing side (because to reiterate, nobody really cares about winning the campaign, they just want good fights) in order to bust the zerg or get a good farm in.

In the frist place, there was never any issue of people swapping factions to be in the zerg, no players worth mentioning anyways, zerglings are pretty much just NPCs, what they do is irrelevant. The good players would swap to the lowest pop faction and now they can't, which only makes losing sides lose harder.

Another imagined issue is the whole factions teaming up thing. AD complains about team "purple", DC complains about "orange" and EP complains about "green". nobody cares enough to organize 2 factions vs 1, its just a way for zerglings to explain why they're getting beat.

This really is like watching climate deniers, there are straight facts that faction lock hurt the balance, but every large scale PvPer is claiming their own anecdotal evidence that faction lock has saved the day.

Talk about a self fulfilling prophecy....
    AD: R E G A L/Halle Bear-y/Regal Implar/ l l l l DC: Enel/Blue Imp EP: Regal Pimp/Chuck Bear-y/Red Imp
  • Elong
    Elong
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Elong wrote: »
    You wanna read back the rest of his posts, climate change denier was the best description yet.
    I thought you gave up.

I thought you would try and help your faction try to win now there's faction locks to help you?
This discussion has been closed.