Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Ground cast abilities not working most of the time

PyrrhicJordan
PyrrhicJordan
✭✭
I'm on PC/EU
Most of the time during combat, ground cast abilities such as Healing Springs or Blazing Spear simply won't cast. The ability bar highlights the skill as if it has been cast, but no effect ever occurs.
I have tested this on multiple characters and classes and all seem to be having this same issue.

EDIT/UPDATE: It appears bar swapping during the heavy attack animation on restoration and lightning staves is causing this issue.
Edited by PyrrhicJordan on May 22, 2019 12:15PM
  • Wavek
    Wavek
    ✭✭✭
    Try turning the auto cast option to ON so it only requires one button click to cast it, see if that makes it work. If so, it may be lag that is somehow causing the ability to misfire.
  • PyrrhicJordan
    PyrrhicJordan
    ✭✭
    I've already tried it with On, Off, and Automatic. Same issue each time. I've asked around my guilds and a lot of people are having this issue also.
  • EBK
    EBK
    ✭✭
    I have noticed this also. I'm a healer and healing springs dont work half the time, it's great..
  • techprince
    techprince
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Same here. Ground cast abilities aren't getting casted.
  • Shanjijri
    Shanjijri
    ✭✭✭✭
    What does Automatic? Mine is always to On, but when I've tried Automatic, it was same as Off. Or I did something wrong. : p
  • Chims
    Chims
    ✭✭✭
    Mine is real bugged. I can't cast ground abilities for like 15 seconds and get stuck like I have a permanent snare on me causing me to slowdown and run to be broken
  • StormChaser3000
    StormChaser3000
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lightning Flood on sorcs doesn't work properly as well.
  • AsNied
    AsNied
    ✭✭✭
    I have the same issue. Reported there:

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/475376/restoration-staff-heavy-attack-and-weapon-swap#latest

This is made by not full heavy attack from restoration staff (fe. if you hold attack a bit longer than LA). Don't know this is true for lighting staff as well.
  • Nightingale707
    Nightingale707
    ✭✭✭
    https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/475383/bug-unable-to-cast-ground-targeted-abilities#latest

I did some sience/testing and here is what I found out - it is consistent and caused my lighting staff attacks that are neither a LA nor a HA
  • Nilarynpaw
    Nilarynpaw
    ✭✭✭
    Chims wrote: »
    Mine is real bugged. I can't cast ground abilities for like 15 seconds and get stuck like I have a permanent snare on me causing me to slowdown and run to be broken

+1

I'm not sure about what abilities I used before it happened, but I experienced the same permanent snares on my character too. But I guess I'm having this same issue as well.

PC EU: 810+ CP
    "Only the Aldmeri—the High Elves and their noble allies, the Wood Elves and Cat-Men—have the wisdom and restraint to peaceably rule the disparate peoples of Tamriel. [...] Men always follow the destructive path of their defender and apologist, the Missing God whom we shall not name. [...] The world has gone wrong, and we must put it right. March proudly beneath the eagle banner of the Aldmeri Dominion! "
  • PyrrhicJordan
    PyrrhicJordan
    ✭✭
    AsNied wrote: »
    I have the same issue. Reported there:

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/475376/restoration-staff-heavy-attack-and-weapon-swap#latest

This is made by not full heavy attack from restoration staff (fe. if you hold attack a bit longer than LA). Don't know this is true for lighting staff as well.

I just tried testing this and am able to reproduce the bug with the resto and lightning staves.
    The only way to fix the issue is by swapping back to the bar you swapped from and completing a fully charged heavy attack. Dodge rolling also seems to fix it.
  • mague
    mague
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes on spears.
  • Trinnnie
    Trinnnie
    Soul Shriven
    Chims wrote: »

Same issue :(
  • ApostateHobo
    ApostateHobo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I hope this gets fixed in a timely manner. Seems there's lots of buggy skills right now.
  • frostz417
    frostz417
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Another expansion with a plethora of bugs because zos doesn’t know how to manange a game? Imagine my surprise
  • Mercanis
    Mercanis
    ✭✭
    Also having this problem. It also seems to make me run really slowly after I come out of combat, and I can't reach normal speed despite dodge rolls, sprinting etc
  • Hollerboller
    Hollerboller
    ✭✭
    Mercanis wrote: »
    Also having this problem. It also seems to make me run really slowly after I come out of combat, and I can't reach normal speed despite dodge rolls, sprinting etc

Yep, same here. Used the dk ardent flame ulti and was in slow motion after combat. Only relog fixed the problem,
  • Trinity_Is_My_Name
    Trinity_Is_My_Name
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It is a very big issue. I have it on any character that uses Ground Cast abilities. ZOS, get on this!!! This is unacceptable!
  • Kainarel
    Kainarel
    ✭✭✭
    Lightning Flood on sorcs doesn't work properly as well.

Yes, exactly that problem. Never had it before Elsweyr. Everything else works, only the Lightning Flood refuses to be cast more often than not. Sometimes the destro staff ultimate also skips at random. Horribly frustrating.
    Edited by Kainarel on May 25, 2019 4:08PM
  • Mercanis
    Mercanis
    ✭✭
    Is there any update on this? Making the game quite unpleasant to play :( Has anyone found anything that helps?
  • Merlight
    Merlight
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mercanis wrote: »
    Is there any update on this? Making the game quite unpleasant to play :( Has anyone found anything that helps?

Finish the heavy attack with the staff that bugged out. Casting a single target spell (with that bugged staff) might work, too.
    Edited by Merlight on May 25, 2019 4:27PM
    EU ‣ Wabbajack nostalgic ‣ Blackwater Blade defender ‣ Kyne wanderer
    The offspring of the root of all evil in ESO by DeanTheCat
    Why ESO needs a monthly subscription
    When an MMO is designed around a revenue model rather than around fun, it doesn’t have a long-term future.Richard A. Bartle
    Their idea of transparent, at least when it comes to communication, bears a striking resemblance to a block of coal.lordrichter
    ... in the balance of power between the accountants and marketing types against the artists, developers and those who generally want to build and run a good game then that balance needs to always be in favour of the latter - because the former will drag the game into the ground for every last bean they can squeeze out of it.Santie Claws
  • TheYKcid
    TheYKcid
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    This has been happening to Atronach for several patches. Looks like it's spread to other targeted ground AoEs now, too...
    PC/NA — Daggerfall Covenant — BGs, Kaalgrontiid
    Kalazar ChalhoubRedguard Nord Stamplar
    Kalaron Caemor — Altmer Magsorc
    Kalahad Cirith — Dunmer Magden
  • Vinterskald
    Vinterskald
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah, same issue here. Cost my poor team members their death a couple times because I was so thrown off by healing springs never triggering :( Healing springs, liquid lightning, luminous shards, elemental rage... all of these keep having problems.
    Barra agea ry sou karan.
  • Reverb
    Reverb
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It’s happening to me a lot, it seems to be sending a system message that “the target is out of range” even if I’m attempting to cast literally at my feet.
    Battle not with monsters, lest ye become a monster, and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you. ~Friedrich Nietzsche
  • Coldforge
    Coldforge
    ✭✭✭
    +1 Happens to me on all my healers.
  • Coldforge
    Coldforge
    ✭✭✭
    I should add that the way to "fix" it temporarily is to roll dodge; that seems to clear it until the next time it happens.

You can confirm the bug is occuring if you're unable to put away your weapon.
  • Maxime
    Maxime
    ✭✭
    It is not a top 3 important bug, but it for sure should be in the top 10. It is very annoying running trials.
    right now are looking for a skill that will lift the blockade on the ground casting skill while you should be busy with buffs and heals. please @zos, give this attention
  • Maxime
    Maxime
    ✭✭
    Btw it is not a templar-only related problem, I have noticed it on the necromancer and warden as well.
  • Mercanis
    Mercanis
    ✭✭
    My bow bow warden was working ok but still really struggling to play my main magplar :(
  • Ananoriel
    Ananoriel
    ✭✭✭
    Yep, happens on my Healing magplar, same goes for sorc.