Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – September 30, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 10:00AM EDT (14:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
The PlayStation™ Network is currently experiencing a service interruption. Please check here for status updates: https://status.playstation.com/en-us/

Help w/Nightblade Stamina Bow Wood Elf

Jigger_allard
Jigger_allard
✭✭✭
I know this has probably been hashed over many times, but have been away for about 18-months and am now just coming back. I probably have a strange but unique playing style. I like using one or two assassin skills on my bars for close encounters, along with an AOE as an ultimate. The problem is that I am new to the bow and unsure of how to proceed. How do I get the best possible DPS out of my Wood Elf knowing my play style? Thank you for any and all recommendations.
  • peoplething
    peoplething
    ✭✭✭
    A couple questions I've found help when considering a bow build.

do you want to run bow/something else on back bar or bow/bow?

which is more fun for you, single target burst damage ("gankstyle) or AoE/support?

when you figure those out, pick the damage type you want to stack and head out.

• BlueRaven
    BlueRaven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    https://alcasthq.com/eso-stamina-nightblade-build-for-pve/

I am not sure if you are doing pve or PvP. If you are doing pve a wood elf is NOT recommend as the Hunters eye passive is aimed at PvP play almost exclusively.

The build I linked is for a DW/Bow build and is the one I follow with some minor changes.
  • Jigger_allard
    Jigger_allard
    ✭✭✭
    BlueRaven wrote: »

I am not sure if you are doing pve or PvP. If you are doing pve a wood elf is NOT recommend as the Hunters eye passive is aimed at PvP play almost exclusively.

The build I linked is for a DW/Bow build and is the one I follow with some minor changes.
    A couple questions I've found help when considering a bow build.

do you want to run bow/something else on back bar or bow/bow?

which is more fun for you, single target burst damage ("gankstyle) or AoE/support?

when you figure those out, pick the damage type you want to stack and head out.

First and foremost, I very rarely do PvP and when I do it is only out of necessity. Secondly, I chose the Wood Elf because it was one of the races that were listed as a potential for the Nighblade. I also realize that some demand that DPSer's do tons of damage and that was one of the reasons why I left the game. The game is supposed to be fun, not demanding. (Some people take it way to seriously.) That said, I want a stamina build that can hold their own in Vet dungeons.

As for the second bar, I tend to get up front where the battle is. For example, My High Elf Nightblade Magicka Healer can hold her own just behind the tank. She may not do massive amounts of DPS, but she gets the job done while also nevertheless. Still, it is my play style unorthodox or not.

As for my second bar with this stamina build, I have yet to decide. Finally, I appreciate your responses. Thank you.
  • deepseamk20b14_ESO
    deepseamk20b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭

My wood elf would disagree. Having extra recovery and stamina helps a lot in PvE. Not saying it’s first choice but far from “not recommended “.

OP, just visit YouTube. Type in ESO nightblade PvE builds. Look at the date of the video you are about to watch to make sure it’s the most recent. Profit.
    Hey everyone! Look! It's a signature!
  • BlueRaven
    BlueRaven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

My wood elf would disagree. Having extra recovery and stamina helps a lot in PvE. Not saying it’s first choice but far from “not recommended “.

OP, just visit YouTube. Type in ESO nightblade PvE builds. Look at the date of the video you are about to watch to make sure it’s the most recent. Profit.

My main since beta has been a PvE wood Elf NB. And I keep having to defend myself to my trial team that I am staying a Wood Elf, so I keep hearing the reasons why to change.

Now, I get what you are saying, but for a pve nghtblade Orc, Redguard, Kahjit, and even dark elf make much stronger choices. Wood Elves are great for sustain, but that is ALL they are giving the race. The hunter's eye passive is just not intended for PvE play. Stealth detect has no uses in PvE, and extra armor pen is not useful (your character should be at max anyway).

Compared to races that are running on all three cylinders, wood elves are just hampered by having only two useful passives for PvE. When designing the races if they gave a bit more consideration to the PvE side of the game with Hunter's Eye passive, Wood Elves would be phenomenal. They are not an awful choice for PvE NB, it's just that some other races are a much stronger choice.

Here is what Alcast says about the Stamina races.

https://alcasthq.com/eso-race-guide-elder-scrolls-online/

"Stamina Damage Dealer

Best choice: Orc, Redguard, Dark Elf, Kahjiit

As a stamina damage dealer Orcs have the best stats, followed up by races like Redguards, Dark Elves and Khajiits. All are viable choices, so you can pick whichever race you like the most.
    "

Notice that Wood Elves are not mentioned. I keep hoping they will give a 2nd pass to the passives soon, and give Wood Elves some love.
  • Jigger_allard
    Jigger_allard
    ✭✭✭

My main since beta has been a PvE wood Elf NB. And I keep having to defend myself to my trial team that I am staying a Wood Elf, so I keep hearing the reasons why to change.

Now, I get what you are saying, but for a pve nghtblade Orc, Redguard, Kahjit, and even dark elf make much stronger choices. Wood Elves are great for sustain, but that is ALL they are giving the race. The hunter's eye passive is just not intended for PvE play. Stealth detect has no uses in PvE, and extra armor pen is not useful (your character should be at max anyway).

Compared to races that are running on all three cylinders, wood elves are just hampered by having only two useful passives for PvE. When designing the races if they gave a bit more consideration to the PvE side of the game with Hunter's Eye passive, Wood Elves would be phenomenal. They are not an awful choice for PvE NB, it's just that some other races are a much stronger choice.

"Stamina Damage Dealer

As a stamina damage dealer Orcs have the best stats, followed up by races like Redguards, Dark Elves and Khajiits. All are viable choices, so you can pick whichever race you like the most.
    "

Notice that Wood Elves are not mentioned. I keep hoping they will give a 2nd pass to the passives soon, and give Wood Elves some love.

If Wood Elves are such a PS for PvE why does he have listed? So, now what you are telling me is that I wasted 10 hours building my Stamina Wood Elf for nothing? Why did I ever come....JFC!?!
  • susmitds
    susmitds
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wood Elves are basically equal or better than Redguard in every single way. It is wrong to say they are not viable for Stamblade PvE.
  • BlueRaven
    BlueRaven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ***_allard wrote: »

"Stamina Damage Dealer

"

If Wood Elves are such a PS for PvE why does he have listed? So, now what you are telling me is that I wasted 10 hours building my Stamina Wood Elf for nothing? Why did I ever come....JFC!?!

Like I said, they are not AWFUL at PvE, they are just not really optimized for it. I do hard mode trials (I have done CR +3) and some vet trials on my Wood Elf NB, so it can be done. It's just you really have to be on it and have good gear (which luckily I do).

If I chose to race change I can get a few more k in dps or be a touch more relaxed in trials, but I love wood elves. It's a bit of an emotional choice for me as I always play a wood elf archer in the ES games. So I have a hard time race changing her as I feel like I have been playing this character for more then a decade in a way. But I know that if I was just a meta follower Wood Elves would not be on the radar as a race choice for PvE.

There is a disturbing trend at the moment as at least two races (High Elves and Wood Elves) and a few class abilities (See the Incap change for NB's) seemed to be redone to favor PvP play.
    There is a new combat lead who used to be in charge of PvP so that is a bit to be expected I guess, but be careful with your build.

If you want to be a Wood Elf, be a Wood Elf, you are putting yourself at a small disadvantage but they can be used. But as far as my opinion goes the best use of Hunter's Eye in PvE is that it frees up three skill points to use in other parts of your build. And if you are OK with basically only using two of your three passives in a vet dungeon or a trial, then they go out and have fun. It's just a good thing that the other two passives are pretty strong, so at least there is that.

(I should also add a note to you that Wood Elves lost their stealth passive as well, so if stealth is important to you in PvE keep that in mind. I made a PvE Kahjit NB, as I love stealth gameplay, and I am having a ton of fun with him.)
    Edited by BlueRaven on May 15, 2019 1:55AM
  • BlueRaven
    BlueRaven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    susmitds wrote: »
    Wood Elves are basically equal or better than Redguard in every single way. It is wrong to say they are not viable for Stamblade PvE.

Here is the redguard stats;

Wayfarer – Increases the duration of eaten food by 15 minutes.
    Martial Training: Reduces the cost of your Weapon abilities by 8%. Reduces the effectiveness of Snares applied to you by 15%.
    Conditioning: Increases your Max Stamina by 2000.
    Adrenaline Rush: When you deal Direct Damage, you restore 950 Stamina. This effect can occur once every 5 seconds.

•••

Here is the Wood Elf stats;

Acrobat – Decreases your fall damage taken by 10%. Increases experience gain with the Bow Skill ine by 15%.
    Y’ffre’s Endurance: Increases your Stamina Recovery by 258.
    Resist Affliction: Increases your Max Stamina by 2000 and your Poison Resistance by 2310. You are immune to the poisoned and status effect.
    Hunter’s Eye: Increases your Stealth detection radius by 3m. After you use Roll Dodge you gain 10% Movement Speed and 1500 Physical and Spell Penetration for 6 seconds.

•••

Redguard have equal stamina bonus. And they restore a ton of stamina on their attacks.

Snares vs Poison resistance is a bit of a wash, I personally like the poison resistance, but I don't know how many times I wish I could just move faster through a snare. So really I think it comes to player choice.

The real strength for Redguard comes in the "Reduces the cost of your Weapon abilities by 8%" this is what gives them the advantage. They don't need as much stamina for their attacks and their attacks basically refund a good deal of stamina every 5 seconds, even if it is a light attack.

The Alcast build from earlier has this very telling line (emphasis in bold is by me).

"Resource Management

Nightblades can sustain their rotation easier then other classes, just make sure to keep up Leeching Strikes in your rotation. You also want to make sure that Spears or Orbs are used by your healers to activate the synergy for resources. I recommend being a Redguard because you will get the best sustain. You have more options, you can also use Stormfist as a main Monster Set to gain another Stamina Recovery bonus or Vicious Serpent set that gives cost reduction and extra stamina on trash fights.

If you manage to keep up Leeching Strikes in your rotation you will have good sustain. However, most of the times players forget to re-activate Leeching Strikes for a while which means you will loose a lot of sustain over time, so make sure to notice when it finished so you can immediately reapply it. Technically, you could also reapply it before it runs out and you will still get a part of the resources back.

Leeching Strikes
    Orbs or Spears from Healers
    Heavy Attacks resource return (optional)
    Vicious Serpent Set (optional)
    Redguard (if available)"

Edited by BlueRaven on May 15, 2019 2:25AM
  • Jigger_allard
    Jigger_allard
    ✭✭✭

"Stamina Damage Dealer

"

Like I said, they are not AWFUL at PvE, they are just not really optimized for it. I do hard mode trials (I have done CR +3) and some vet trials on my Wood Elf NB, so it can be done. It's just you really have to be on it and have good gear (which luckily I do).

If I chose to race change I can get a few more k in dps or be a touch more relaxed in trials, but I love wood elves. It's a bit of an emotional choice for me as I always play a wood elf archer in the ES games. So I have a hard time race changing her as I feel like I have been playing this character for more then a decade in a way. But I know that if I was just a meta follower Wood Elves would not be on the radar as a race choice for PvE.

There is a disturbing trend at the moment as at least two races (High Elves and Wood Elves) and a few class abilities (See the Incap change for NB's) seemed to be redone to favor PvP play.
    There is a new combat lead who used to be in charge of PvP so that is a bit to be expected I guess, but be careful with your build.

If you want to be a Wood Elf, be a Wood Elf, you are putting yourself at a small disadvantage but they can be used. But as far as my opinion goes the best use of Hunter's Eye in PvE is that it frees up three skill points to use in other parts of your build. And if you are OK with basically only using two of your three passives in a vet dungeon or a trial, then they go out and have fun. It's just a good thing that the other two passives are pretty strong, so at least there is that.

(I should also add a note to you that Wood Elves lost their stealth passive as well, so if stealth is important to you in PvE keep that in mind. I made a PvE Kahjit NB, as I love stealth gameplay, and I am having a ton of fun with him.)

You know what I found to be a bit hilarious and bit ironic after beta testing the game and not coming back until Morrowind, I built a High Elf Nighblade Magicka Healer and as I leveling her up many of my friends in the guild were telling me that she would never work in Vet dungeons or trials. So, when I finally reached 50 and grouped with those same naysayers at the end all I heard was: "Wow! you are a good healer and you can put out.. not great.. but some decent DPS too." That said when I tried to do trials all I heard was: "You don't have the qualifications that we need." Those who were leading the trials were of course highly competitive, by the Gods, individuals. I, of course, am not that type of individual. I play to have fun and to group with friends. If we lose, we lose.. but if we win all the better. Plus, I am not spending $25 buying Crowns to change my race.
  • BlueRaven
    BlueRaven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

"Stamina Damage Dealer

"

You know what I found to be a bit hilarious and bit ironic after beta testing the game and not coming back until Morrowind, I built a High Elf Nighblade Magicka Healer and as I leveling her up many of my friends in the guild were telling me that she would never work in Vet dungeons or trials. So, when I finally reached 50 and grouped with those same naysayers at the end all I heard was: "Wow! you are a good healer and you can put out.. not great.. but some decent DPS too." That said when I tried to do trials all I heard was: "You don't have the qualifications that we need." Those who were leading the trials were of course highly competitive, by the Gods, individuals. I, of course, am not that type of individual. I play to have fun and to group with friends. If we lose, we lose.. but if we win all the better. Plus, I am not spending $25 buying Crowns to change my race.

Well that is pretty cool. Like I said if you want to be a wood elf, be a wood elf! I just wanted to give you a heads up about the recent race changes.
  • Jigger_allard
    Jigger_allard
    ✭✭✭

"Stamina Damage Dealer

"

Well that is pretty cool. Like I said if you want to be a wood elf, be a wood elf! I just wanted to give you a heads up about the recent race changes.

Yea, I knew that was coming. They are going to morph one of the skills on my Nightblade Healer. When I looked it up to find a nightblade stamina blade the wood elf was on the list. So, I who I chose. I hate that these MMO's are all about nickel and diming you to death. I spent $60 bucks on Elswyr. Thanks though for your help.