Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Would anything be so kind as to explain to me how end game gear progression works with this game?

Vizjerie
Vizjerie
So i had a character hit 160cp. I got a bunch of gear from dungeons and a few from Vet Dungeons that are all 160cp. But the stats seems to be the same, as long as they are rare quality.

Now recently i was in a random Vet group and someone was complaining about my health being only at 14k? I did some digging around and i couldnt find a clear answer on what is the next step after that? Is it in crafting? i havent delve into that at all, i do see a lot of people talking about motifs but is that an actual recipe of specific named gear? or is that just visual?

I even read somewhere that raids just drops same stat and even named set pieces as vet dungeons?

I've also watched a few build guide videos just to see their gear, and some of them are even wearing the exact same thing as me, only difference being they are gold and mine is purple. Is that really it?
  • FakeFox
    FakeFox
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Gear in ESO has standardized stats and those cap out at 160CP golden gear. From there gear progression is goes sideways. Set bonuses and traits make the difference, so you want to start getting the strongest sets for your specific build and customize the traits, rarity and glyphs of that gear. Motifs are for customizing the look of your gear.
    EU/PC (GER) - Healermain since 2014 - 50305 Achievement Points - Youtube (PvE Healing Guides, Builds & Gameplay)
  • ManwithBeard9
    ManwithBeard9
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Food or drink buffs. Food will give you a boost to anything from one stat (health, magicka, stamina) to a menagerie of all three stats and all three recovery sources. Drinks work primarily on resource regen and then the higher recipes allow buffs to stats as well.
  • BejaProphet
    BejaProphet
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    In this game, Instead of progressively increasing one factor like gear quality, end game builds are about creating a synergistic effect from many variables that are (in theory) balanced. Mundus stones, food/drink, gear type (heavy, medium, light), enchants, weapon and armor traits, skills and their passives, which five piece sets and monster set you choose all play a part.

You want to combine these things such that the sum effect attains the goals of the build.

Specifically for your health the easiest fix is changing your food. No way you are using a health boosting food at 14k. Perhaps pick a blue food that boosts both your health and your attribute of choice (magicka or stamina)
    Edited by BejaProphet on May 5, 2019 9:51PM
  • ghastley
    ghastley
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    To some extent, the equipment tends to become specialized, rather than plain overall better. Specific sets will combine to give a role-specific benefit, that a more generic earlier build would not.

This prevents the spread getting too wide, so everyone is capable of attempting the dungeon/trial/whatever without having to grind forever. The better players, and those who have collected wisely, will have an easier time of it, but it won't be out of reach for the others. They'll just take longer, and die more often.
  • msalvia
    msalvia
    ✭✭✭✭
    Food is the answer, probably (or at least the correct food). It also helps if you need the stats to level undaunted and get the passive that boosts stats based on how many armor types you are wearing.

Having the right food and that passive with 5 armor in your primary and one of each of the others will get you to 18k, which is the sweet spot for dps and healers.

As for foods/drinks, this depends on your race. For races with no health buffs (ex. high elves, redguards) you'll likely want the blue quality food that buffs health and your primary stat. If you're a race that does have a health buff (ex. orcs, imperials) you can/should use the purple recovery drinks (throne for stam, witchmother for mag).

HOWEVER, if your tank is wearing ebon armor (thus buffing the group's health) you can switch from blue foods to purple regardless of race, and/or go to a full 7 pieces of armor in your primary stat.

Hopefully this helps!
  • msalvia
    msalvia
    ✭✭✭✭
    Previous response explained how to get your hp where it should be for end game content.

This is one is about gear--there are a wide range of sets for end game players, many of which drop from trials and dungeons. There are, of course, so fine beginner sets to use, but once you get to cp160, you'll want to get into trials like normal Cloudrest and Hel Ra Citadel to get some of the BIS gear sets. Purple quality is typically fine for armor and jewels, but you;ll likely want to gold out your weapons.
  • yooqi
    yooqi
    ✭✭✭
    Food is what people use to boost their health and resources higher.

When you say you have a bunch of dungeon gear, are you making sure that you're actually getting the 5 piece bonus from your sets? You would typically use 3 sets set up as 5+5+2 (2 being the monster helm sets) to get the most relevant bonuses for your role. That last bonus in the list is what makes sets special, not the more generic 129 spell damage or whatever.

Trial sets will also have an additional bonus which can't be obtained from overland/dungeon:
    Gain Minor Slayer at all times, increasing your damage done to Dungeon and Trial Monsters by 5%

Gwen Benele - Breton Templar
    PC NA
  • GimpyPorcupine
    GimpyPorcupine
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't think it was mentioned, but the first 100 points in each Champion color will add a slight amount to the resource of that color, so your health, and other pools, will slowly climb until you reach CP300.
    8-hr/day casual gamer on Xbox NA. 20 Characters, all DC, all Level 50. +2400CP
  • El_Borracho
    El_Borracho
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Vet dungeons drop purple level gear, normal and vet both drop CP 160 level gear

Motifs are recipes to craft gear. Its purely visual.

Golding out gear will improve stats, however not as drastically as you might think. The jump from purple to gold is only noticeable if you are running something like vMOL. Be wary of golding out armor. Things change in this game. You're better off golding out weapons and monster gear. You can gold out jewelry but its expensive.

Like others have said, food is the primary way to boost health. Most DPS who run dungeons and trials max out their stamina or magic, depending on the build.

Lastly, 14K is sufficient to run vet dungeons as a DPS. If you are a tank, that's low.
  • msalvia
    msalvia
    ✭✭✭✭

Lastly, 14K is sufficient to run vet dungeons as a DPS. If you are a tank, that's low. [/quote]

Everything but this is true. You will 100% get one shot in vet dungeons with only 14k health. 18k is the sweet spot to avoid getting 1 shot. Trust me, or if you don't, ask around for confirmation. This isn't really up for debate given the damage levels for many boss attacks being close to 18k health.

BTW, for tanks, 35k health (with near maxed resistance [cap is 33k for resistances) is the sweet spot for vet content.

• ghastley
    ghastley
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    14k before food becomes 19-20k after, so those numbers aren't so different. You do need a little headroom beyond the maximum one-shot to survive, just in case there's a DoT going at the same time.

My tanks probably have too much resistances, but I'm unsure where's the best place to remove some.
  • El_Borracho
    El_Borracho
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    ghastley wrote: »
    14k before food becomes 19-20k after, so those numbers aren't so different. You do need a little headroom beyond the maximum one-shot to survive, just in case there's a DoT going at the same time.

My tanks probably have too much resistances, but I'm unsure where's the best place to remove some.

This is what I was thinking, my mistake for not being clear. If you are 14K after food, that is too low. Sorry for the confusion.
  • BoraxFlux
    BoraxFlux
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Unless you want to PvE for it, you could also check in in Cyrodiil during the weekends and see what the Golden vendor has to offer. You can buy yellow quality jewelry and purple quality,monster shoulders / monster masks for Alliance Points or gold.

The offerings of the Golven Vendor differ per weekend.

BenevolentBowd always updates the Golden Vendor offerings on the forumsfor example:
    https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/472205/eso-golden-vendor-items-2019-05-03/p1

• yRaven
    yRaven
    ✭✭✭✭
    Basically on Endgame as a Stamina DPS you need atleast 17K+ HP and 35K+ Stamina with Food Buff, i don't know how magicka goes thought, in my mind it's the same thing but instead of Stamina, Magicka :D

About the Sets, a lot of Sets have the 3 begginers Stats equal, like Adds 833 Weapon Critical, Adds 1096 Maximum Stamina, Adds 833 Weapon Critical again, or the Trias that add bonus to Dungeon, the numbers change as the item quality improves, the change and difference between then comes on the last Stat, the 5 Pieces Stat, it's what make the Set Special on it's way
    Edited by yRaven on May 9, 2019 4:53AM
    Jack of all trades. Master of at least one.
    -
    Àrës - Magicka Dragonknight (EP)
    Persephónē - Magicka Warden (EP)
    Athēna - Magicka Templar (EP)
    Hādēs - Magicka Necromancer (EP)
    Hërmës - Runner Troll (EP)