The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29
We will be performing maintenance for patch 10.0.2 on the PTS on Monday at 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC).

Skyshard achievement purchase

CleymenZero
CleymenZero
✭✭✭✭✭
I saw on the PTS that they are zone-based purchases. I hope there's a way to get all of them for a reasonable cost otherwise I might not spend much.

If they are per zone and they are 100-150 Crowns per large zone and 50-75 Crowns for small zones I won't mind but any bigger would be insane.

Around 3k Crowns for the entire game would be ideal because those that have maxed out character slots will still end up paying up to 30-40k Crowns and those that aren't maxed out on characters might be stimulated to make new ones if the cost is not prohibitive.

I don't know, I'm worried that they get us so hyped about an awesome new feature and aggressively paygate it...

My confidence in the game is way up right now, an awful pricing would affect my trust in the game and company behind it.

A happy customer is a spending customer!
  • Taleof2Cities
    Taleof2Cities
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You probably should be warned ahead of time, @CleymenZero ... these crown offerings won't be cheap.

There was a lot of forum-goer opposition to them being made available in the first place.

However, we should know what the price is before the end of May (maybe sooner during Elsweyr early access).
  • ManwithBeard9
    ManwithBeard9
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    They are gonna make you pay for them. I'd say absolute minimum for a small zone is 1500 crown. Large will likely be double. Again, that's bare minimum.

Just double checked prices for munduses and crafting stations, yeah crown shards are gonna be 4000 area for a large zone I'm guessing.
    Edited by ManwithBeard9 on May 1, 2019 3:09AM
  • CleymenZero
    CleymenZero
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They are gonna make you pay for them. I'd say absolute minimum for a small zone is 1500 crown. Large will likely be double. Again, that's bare minimum.

Just double checked prices for munduses and crafting stations, yeah crown shards are gonna be 4000 area for a large zone I'm guessing.

Yeah 4k Crown is a gross overestimation for large zones. They have to price it in a way that people would actually buy them. At that price, even the most spoiled kid won't be buying. By your estimation, 5 skill points is worth 40$??? How would anyone buy that?

I'm standing to have 16 characters next patch. For it to be worth it, I'd have to be able to buy it for most of my characters without getting a second mortgage...
  • ManwithBeard9
    ManwithBeard9
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Yeah 4k Crown is a gross overestimation for large zones. They have to price it in a way that people would actually buy them. At that price, even the most spoiled kid won't be buying. By your estimation, 5 skill points is worth 40$??? How would anyone buy that?

I'm standing to have 16 characters next patch. For it to be worth it, I'd have to be able to buy it for most of my characters without getting a second mortgage...

In my opinion, skill points should never be allowed be purchased with crowns. ZOS hears people throwing their wallets at the crown store for these. They wont be cheap.
  • Hotdog_23
    Hotdog_23
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I figure 1000 per zone and 2000 per large zone, but I have been wrong many times before.
  • CleymenZero
    CleymenZero
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Crown prices you guys are mentioning are outrageous to me and if more were outraged, the cost would likely be lower.

Let's face it, a small zone has 6 to 10 skyshard leading to 2-3 skill points. A large zone is 5 skill points. If you think that 5 skill points are worth 20$, you have to have a job that pays more per hour to justify you spending that kind of money. If you think 5 to 15 minutes is for 10-20$, you must be making bank.

My situation is that I have 14 and soon 16 characters. I play every single one of them regularly but like some more than others. If i need skill points and the prices you guys are estimating are correct, I'll spend 15 minutes clearing a zone. If it's a character that I like but less than others, I would neither buy the achievement or farm skyshard...

If they face resistance, they will be more flexible. We just have to keep the pressure on.

I still think the changes to racial passives to be a cash grab but they faced so much angst from the first week that they increased the amount of tokens and gave name changes on top of that.
  • CleymenZero
    CleymenZero
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Now I hope that the whole package costs around 3k Crowns. I'll pay 30$ per character to get them a lot of skill points. That would cost me around 420$ total... :neutral:
    Edited by CleymenZero on May 1, 2019 6:49AM
  • BlazingDynamo
    BlazingDynamo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No thanks I'll spend the 30 minutes per zone collecting skyshards than dish out 10-20 bucks lol

You'll pay 30 bucks per character? So you'll pay more for skyshards than you can get the base game or any dlc for? Lol you people are ridiculous. No wonder this gaming industry is going to crap.
    Edited by BlazingDynamo on May 1, 2019 3:45PM
  • CleymenZero
    CleymenZero
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I mean... We are talking about a non-essential, mind-numbing, soul-crushing 8-10 hours grind.

It's non-essential, QoL, very practical but collecting them all almost madee quit the game. Had to play another game for a bit before coming back...
  • Edaphon
    Edaphon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah 4k Crown is a gross overestimation for large zones.

You must be new here. Still so optimistic and full of hope. :D

• CleymenZero
    CleymenZero
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Edaphon wrote: »
    Yeah 4k Crown is a gross overestimation for large zones.

You must be new here. Still so optimistic and full of hope. :D

Only 2 years. I like to keep optimistic... Here's to hoping the achievement is accessible...
  • Universe
    Universe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    You probably should be warned ahead of time, @CleymenZero ... these crown offerings won't be cheap.

There was a lot of forum-goer opposition to them being made available in the first place.

However, we should know what the price is before the end of May (maybe sooner during Elsweyr early access).

I'm still against it.
    Though it seems that ZOS is so determined to introduce crown store Skyshard exclusive shortcut(no in-game shortcut option, like gold), so nothing will change their mind about this.
    Some videos I recorded for fun: Main character:
    PC EU main: Universe - AD magicka Sorcerer, Former Emperor, Grand Overlord, The Merciless, Trial Bosses Solo Champion
    Top alts: Genius(stamina/sagicka Dragonknight) The Force(stamina Nightblade) and other chars.
    PC NA main: The Magic - AD magicka Sorcerer
    Started playing ESO in beta & early access
    User_ID: Daedric_Prince
  • Jayne_Doe
    Jayne_Doe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Considering that they charge 1500 crowns for ONE outfit slot for ONE character, these won't be as cheap as you're hoping.

But, I thought these were account unlocks? E.g., you get a skyshard achievement for a zone on one of your characters and you buy the pack to unlock it on your account for all other characters. But, it sounds like it's per character. If it were for the entire account, then I could see it being somewhat reasonable for someone to pay 1500 or so per regular zone and perhaps 750 for a small zone.

But, if it's per character, then yeah...it'll add up. But, I'm now suspecting it'll be per character, like the outfit slots. I haven't gotten on PTS yet (too busy with the Anniversary event). Hoping to get on it this weekend, but can anyone confirm if it's account-wide or per character?
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

This for sure. I doubt they will go for as little as anywhere near as low as OP is suggesting. Just look at how things are priced in the crown store give us that much information.

This is not being done just as a convenience, but also to bring in revenue.
  • CleymenZero
    CleymenZero
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    idk wrote: »

This for sure. I doubt they will go for as little as anywhere near as low as OP is suggesting. Just look at how things are priced in the crown store give us that much information.

It's crazy to realize that you guys think 30-40k (300-400$) is stupidly low to purchase all those skill points for an account...

I can reliably make 63k+ gold for 1 hour per day. I estimate 12-15 hours to get all skyshards on one toon. Multiply that by 14 characters, you get 210 hours. Multiply that by 63k gold that's 13.2M gold. Crowns are selling for 180-200 gold per Crown so that's the gold equivalent of 66k Crowns... At that price, that's 660$ for all skyshard on all other toons.

My hope for 30-40k was probably low but 66k Crowns or 660$ for skyshards on all characters is rough but probably more reasonable than what people are talking about...
  • Imryll
    Imryll
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, sure, a 12-hour grind would be awful. I can't imagine doing the whole thing at once. A wayshrine and overland skyshard run for a single zone, however, is rather fun and fills in your map. I'll generally do it when I also have a couple surveys or treasure maps for the zone. And farm a bit along the way. For DC zones, also mix in the time breeches. I'll usually pick up a couple dolmens and/or WB along the way, too. Why grind when you can play?
  • CleymenZero
    CleymenZero
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Imryll wrote: »
    Well, sure, a 12-hour grind would be awful. I can't imagine doing the whole thing at once. A wayshrine and overland skyshard run for a single zone, however, is rather fun and fills in your map. I'll generally do it when I also have a couple surveys or treasure maps for the zone. And farm a bit along the way. For DC zones, also mix in the time breeches. I'll usually pick up a couple dolmens and/or WB along the way, too. Why grind when you can play?

Because I'd rather do trials with friends and PvP.

I've said it elsewhere: 1 toon with all skyshards, 1 with 50% and 12 with 30+%. I'm done with this...
  • Vercingetorix
    Vercingetorix
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Paying to bypass the stress involved behind getting the 4 skyshards locked behind Cyrodiil enemy gates is worth it. I would rather NOT chug invisibility potions and crouch in corners between potion cooldowns, assuming:

- that my faction ever gets the gates open
    - AND I don't get ganked on the way there
    - AND the gate doesn't close by the time I get there
    - AND I don't get ganked between the gate and the shard
    - AND I don't get ganked while absorbing the shard

Yeah, f*** that. Never again.
    “Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.”
  • CleymenZero
    CleymenZero
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Paying to bypass the stress involved behind getting the 4 skyshards locked behind Cyrodiil enemy gates is worth it. I would rather NOT chug invisibility potions and crouch in corners between potion cooldowns, assuming:

- that my faction ever gets the gates open
    - AND I don't get ganked on the way there
    - AND the gate doesn't close by the time I get there
    - AND I don't get ganked between the gate and the shard
    - AND I don't get ganked while absorbing the shard

Yeah, f*** that. Never again.

It's a total of 3 skill points, I wouldn't even sweat it if wasn't part of an account-wide package...
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

It's crazy to realize that you guys think 30-40k (300-400$) is stupidly low to purchase all those skill points for an account...

I can reliably make 63k+ gold for 1 hour per day. I estimate 12-15 hours to get all skyshards on one toon. Multiply that by 14 characters, you get 210 hours. Multiply that by 63k gold that's 13.2M gold. Crowns are selling for 180-200 gold per Crown so that's the gold equivalent of 66k Crowns... At that price, that's 660$ for all skyshard on all other toons.

My hope for 30-40k was probably low but 66k Crowns or 660$ for skyshards on all characters is rough but probably more reasonable than what people are talking about...

First of all, please do not put words into my mouth. I never characterized any price as stupidly anything. Lets keep this discussion civil.

What you call crazy others call just being realistic and your costs here are more inline with what we are saying vs what you said in the OP.

There are 32 zone including the upcoming chapter, give or take one or two zones. I counted Cyrodiil as 3 since shards there are grouped into 3. At your highest hopeful price of 150 crowns per zone that is only 4650. With the new expansion that would be an approximate max of 4800. That is a far cry from what you just replied with of 30-40k crowns.

So, if my math is correct and your total hopeful price is really 40k crowns on the high end then that would be an average of 1250 crowns per zone.

So it really does not seem we are so crazy after all.
    Edited by idk on May 2, 2019 9:29PM
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Paying to bypass the stress involved behind getting the 4 skyshards locked behind Cyrodiil enemy gates is worth it.

If that is all your are lacking from Cyrodiil on a character it is not worth it at any price. That is not even 2 skill points and will not make a difference on any character. Even the achievement is not really worth it.
  • Davadin
    Davadin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    probably the reason i dont have alts higher than lv25 is simply due to shards... i got the CP, just the shards, right?

yeah thing is i dont have the time for it.

i'd gladly pay up to $50 for a 1-time fee of one of my alt gets all shards.

why? because it'll take my more than 2 hours to get all the shards across Tamriel, and my job rate is higher than $25/hr.... so....
    August Palatine Davadin Bloodstrake - Nord Dragon Knight - PC NA - Gray Host
    Greymoor 6.0.7 PvP : Medium 2H/SnB The Destroyer
    Dragonhold 5.2.11 PvE : Medium DW/2H The Blood Furnace
    March 2021 (too lazy to add CP) PvP: Medium DW/Bow The Stabber
  • CleymenZero
    CleymenZero
    ✭✭✭✭✭

First of all, please do not put words into my mouth. I never characterized any price as stupidly anything. Lets keep this discussion civil.

What you call crazy others call just being realistic and your costs here are more inline with what we are saying vs what you said in the OP.

There are 32 zone including the upcoming chapter, give or take one or two zones. I counted Cyrodiil as 3 since shards there are grouped into 3. At your highest hopeful price of 150 crowns per zone that is only 4650. With the new expansion that would be an approximate max of 4800. That is a far cry from what you just replied with of 30-40k crowns.

So, if my math is correct and your total hopeful price is really 40k crowns on the high end then that would be an average of 1250 crowns per zone.

I'll correct myself, the "you guys" is regarding the general response I've received in this thread and other threads.

My math now is another way of calculating it even my initial "hopeful price" isn't that far off. The 4k or so Crowns was on a per character basis. I would love the option of paying 30-40k Crowns to have all skyshards account-wide.

A lot of the initial threads on the forums different users were about this: "please make skyshards account-wide". I might be mistaken and didn't research it thoroughly and you may correct me in that but that's what I've seen the dozen or so times I've come onto the forums.

Now, about the "ZOS didn't intend for someone to buy all skyshards". I don't know what they intended but to me that's the only reason I'd spend money for skyshards. I mean, if you got all 400+ skyshards in the game, you must have more than 4-5 toons no? So why wouldn't they think someone would want it on all their characters?

The whole 10$ for 1 zone on 1 character is... well I can't understand it at all. To me, yes I most probably do not represent the average user, the decision between paying 10$ for 1 zone so 5 skill points and slapping fjord, jailbreaker, 3 swift, the Steed Mundus and all divines (make sure to have a shield slotted for that extra divines piece) is pretty obvious. Even on a new character, you run as fast or faster than upgraded horses when you pop rapid maneuvers(at least faster than the horse you'll get in the beginning). At that point, just pick Orc for your initial choice for the 10% run speed then race change for 3k Crowns once you're done and you're still saving so much money. By the current user estimations, at 1-1.5k Crowns per zone, you do 2 zones in 15 minutes each and you save 20-30$... I swear I'll put a timer next time I run skyshards... I'll be surprised if it takes more than 20 minutes per large zone... Only problem is, like I said in another thread, I must've absorbed 1600-1800 skyshards... So my motivation isn't really there. We'll see though, if the price is not reasonable by my standards?
  • Jhalin
    Jhalin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

Why are you even bringing up your gold earned?

You can only buy these for yourself. There will be no gifting for these skillpoints
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If your familiar with a zone, or have a map or add on, you can get all the shards, dolmens and delve bosses in 30 to 45 minutes. Might be longer with spawn issues or slow horse. So figure out the time you would need to do that and if its worth the price.

For me, I will probably limit my Alts to Cyrodiil Achievements. I can clear an original PvE zone in an hour or so including zone quest line. Well, some have more of that "pesky" story chain content so maybe add an 30 minutes to those. Please note, the Chapter Story content is not really set to rush through, so stick to the original 16 zones. And some of those zones are faster than others content wise.

Fortunately, If you do both story content and shards you won't have to do all the zones, maybe 7 to 9 to have a viable character.

For Skill Point Planning, use this to find the minimum amount you would need to have the skills you want. Just remember, take most all the passives, that is where the true power is. Stamina Characters can get away with less Class Passives and they lean on weapons. I figure 130 to 150 skill points to fully empower and skill up a character, figure 110 to 130 for Stamina versions.

However, your mileage may vary so use this

https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Special:EsoBuildEditor

Here are the instructions, there are some helpers to reduce the input tedium, so look for those. No need to create a login to use it, but if you want to save builds, you will have to create one. Helps if you want to Theorycraft a build before chasing down the gear or buying a respec.

https://en.uesp.net/wiki/UESPWiki:EsoBuildEditor
    Edited by Nestor on May 2, 2019 10:48PM
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I'll correct myself, the "you guys" is regarding the general response I've received in this thread and other threads.

My math now is another way of calculating it even my initial "hopeful price" isn't that far off. The 4k or so Crowns was on a per character basis. I would love the option of paying 30-40k Crowns to have all skyshards account-wide.

A lot of the initial threads on the forums different users were about this: "please make skyshards account-wide". I might be mistaken and didn't research it thoroughly and you may correct me in that but that's what I've seen the dozen or so times I've come onto the forums.

Now, about the "ZOS didn't intend for someone to buy all skyshards". I don't know what they intended but to me that's the only reason I'd spend money for skyshards. I mean, if you got all 400+ skyshards in the game, you must have more than 4-5 toons no? So why wouldn't they think someone would want it on all their characters?

The whole 10$ for 1 zone on 1 character is... well I can't understand it at all. To me, yes I most probably do not represent the average user, the decision between paying 10$ for 1 zone so 5 skill points and slapping fjord, jailbreaker, 3 swift, the Steed Mundus and all divines (make sure to have a shield slotted for that extra divines piece) is pretty obvious. Even on a new character, you run as fast or faster than upgraded horses when you pop rapid maneuvers(at least faster than the horse you'll get in the beginning). At that point, just pick Orc for your initial choice for the 10% run speed then race change for 3k Crowns once you're done and you're still saving so much money. By the current user estimations, at 1-1.5k Crowns per zone, you do 2 zones in 15 minutes each and you save 20-30$... I swear I'll put a timer next time I run skyshards... I'll be surprised if it takes more than 20 minutes per large zone... Only problem is, like I said in another thread, I must've absorbed 1600-1800 skyshards... So my motivation isn't really there. We'll see though, if the price is not reasonable by my standards?

I am not arguing with you.. I am just stating my reasoning in this post.

Mount training 1k crowns for 10 lessons. That equates to 18k crowns for something that costs only 45k gold which is near nothing. No means to purchase it for account wide.

Outfit slots 1500 crown for one slot on one character. Currently on sale for 1k. iirc 10 slots so that is 15k per character if you want to max it out. No means to purchase it for account wide.

I try to look at these things based on what the company has been doing. It would make sense that Zos would price this along the lines of 15-18k crowns per character for all crowns (no package deal) and that just might be for the base game shards.

There is no reason to expect an account wide option either. Pretty sure I did not see one on the PTS and if it is not on the PTS it will not be on live.
  • CleymenZero
    CleymenZero
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I am not arguing with you.. I am just stating my reasoning in this post.

Mount training 1k crowns for 10 lessons. That equates to 18k crowns for something that costs only 45k gold which is near nothing. No means to purchase it for account wide.

Outfit slots 1500 crown for one slot on one character. Currently on sale for 1k. iirc 10 slots so that is 15k per character if you want to max it out. No means to purchase it for account wide.

I try to look at these things based on what the company has been doing. It would make sense that Zos would price this along the lines of 15-18k crowns per character for all crowns (no package deal) and that just might be for the base game shards.

There is no reason to expect an account wide option either. Pretty sure I did not see one on the PTS and if it is not on the PTS it will not be on live.

I get what you're saying about pricing of Crown Store items and estimating the price of skyshard achievement. I bought 3 sets of riding speed once but never got an outfit. It's cosmetics whereas skyshard and mount are pay 2 skip.
  • Elwendryll
    Elwendryll
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I mean, just look at the WW/vampire bites prices. The easier it is to get, the higher the price is, because it takes great laziness to buy that.
    PC - EU - France - AD
    Main character: Qojikrin - Khajiit Sorcerer Tank/Stamina DD - since March 25, 2015.
    Guildmaster of Oriflamme: Focus on 4 player endgame content.
    Member of Brave Cat Trade, Panda Division and Toadhuggers.

All 4-man trifectas - TTT, IR, GH
  • CleymenZero
    CleymenZero
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Elwendryll wrote: »
    I mean, just look at the WW/vampire bites prices. The easier it is to get, the higher the price is, because it takes great laziness to buy that.

We don't know how many people buy them though. People keep bringing up the outrageous prices on the Crown Store items and especially a stupid thing like WW/Vamp bites designed to catch the unaware but how many actually buy them?How many actually buy the respec scrolls in the Crown store at 7$ a pop?

The argument that "items are ridiculously priced in the Crown Store so expect the worse" is ok to establish a trend but it doesn't establish the price of the Skyshard feature. I understand it will be outrageously priced but even at 500 Crowns per zone, it would still cost you 50-60$ to upgrade 1 character... That's a very high price already. What is being estimated right now would cost someone around 200$ per character. I guess that is easy to expect but that's not accessible for a lot of the user base.

I know 2 guys out of the 100s of players that I played with that will probably pay for it for all their characters. I guess this feature was made for them...
  • Laz
    Laz
    ✭✭✭
    I'm going to revive this thread because I personally feel that this is questionable.

@ZOS_GinaBruno Could you please help us and bring more transparency about this such as the cost expectations or if there is a way to get this for free outside of logging in for daily rewards?

I get the idea of continuous monetization but at a certain point, while all things are optional and it's very similar to what Warframe does (not quite on par) this a sub based game, with people paying for expansions and (thankfully) getting the DLC free with the sub.

The game I'm sure has it's whales that just buy everything up the moment it's out but at what point does it become too much and players just sit back and kind of feel disgusted with themselves and the idea of paying for thing x y or z.

g5chlhvtorc5.png
    Edited by Laz on May 14, 2019 7:13AM
    Been around watchin'. Time to start talkin'. - Twitch: twitch.tv/lazisonline
    Prior host of TESO Elite game-play twitch streams