Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 15
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
The issue is resolved, and the North American PC/Mac megaserver is now available. Thank you for your patience!

Would you like to have your alts as home items?

• Tigerseye
    Tigerseye
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Yay
    bluebird wrote: »
    Would be nice, but I'm not sure if ZoS are capable of making copies of your character models (with their hairstyle and other customization, armour and costume, etc) to stand around in houses. I know SWTOR for example allows you to place your companions, which show up as a basic holographic image if you're on a character that doesn't have them, and as their actual customized companions if your character does have them... but that's a different system entirely.

Perhaps the closest we could get would be if they added more NPCs as furnishings. Just like the banker, merchant and fence, they could add more NPC 'furnishings' like a chef, a housecarl, a bard, maybe some guards... SWTOR does have dancers, sith sorcerers and warriors, bounty hunters, etc NPC models as placeable furnishings which really help liven up the space - especially some of the giant homes which look painfully empty sometimes.

They could even make them crown-exclusive (who are we kidding, they would of course, just as they made the music boxes crown store only) if they want to rationalize the developing cost with some profit. We could have:
    - A mercenary bunde with a housecarl, some guard NPCs in armor, and archers we could place on walls and in the courtyard.
    - A personnel bundle with a chef, a brewer, a stablemaster and a maid (I'll leave the argonian jokes to your imagination :wink:)
    - An entertainer bundle with a bard, a jester, a fire-breather, sword-swallower and maybe a painter.
    - A craftsman bundle with a blacksmith, a woodworker, clothier, an alchemist, etc.

I don't see why they couldn't let us design our own NPCs, if we can already design our own characters.

Or, alternatively, why they can't let us use unused alts as NPCs.

Although the latter may be more complicated, as what happens when you are on that alt and visit that house?

Could just allow twins/doubles, I guess?

After all, less evolved, in that way, games have had twins/doubles wandering around together, for years.

If they wanted to avoid that though, they could just allot us 3 or 4 slots for our own, customisable NPCs.

As someone suggested, in another thread, earlier.
    Edited by Tigerseye on May 12, 2019 3:41AM
  • Tigerseye
    Tigerseye
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Yay
    Nestor wrote: »
    This sounds good at first glance, but the more thought that is applied, the more the mechanics of the operation get muddy.

OK, they are not going to allow you to be logged into two characters at once, too many ways for that to exploited. So this alt can't be just one of our characters with a script overlayed.

So, they would have to make a "copy" of the alt, only with no inventory. No inventory would mean no clothes, so how would we apply costumes to the Alt? Then, there is the question of when is the copy made and is it ever updated? Who makes this copy and can it be instanced into more than one home. If a copy is updated, do all copies of the same character get updated and what would the mechanism be for that. How much of an impact would this have on the save file size? What local control, if any, could be provided to change the costume or appearance? I am not saying that these things are impossible, but your kind of wanting to add Sims functionality to an MMORPG.

This technically a bit more daunting than it might appear on the surface. I am also starting think about all the bugs that could appear from this.

Has any MMO ever done something like this?

It would be better if ZOS would just allow us to acquire servants and NPCs of various professions that we could add to our houses. Give them an idle script that moves them around and do something so they are not static. By better I mean, a system that has a snowball's chance of being implimented.

Besides, we still can't have a dog in our house that moves. I think that might be the first step before we could ask for anything else.

I think it would be easier to just let us create (or recreate/copy*) alts as NPCs, specifically.

They wouldn't have bags, or a bank, but we could have access to our collections page while selecting, dressing and styling them.

Could let us interact with them, ingame, to allow us to change their clothing/hairstyle/markings etc. and role, in the same way as we, currently, interact with a player.

Only, obviously, with different options.

If that was too complicated, for some reason, we could just do it in a wardrobe-type screen within collections, while in our home.

Or maybe at an outfit station there.

...and yes, they could be placed in multiple homes, just as pets, mounts and current NPCs can be in several houses, simultaneously.

You would only be allocating that particular look, role and placed location to the NPC within that particular home.

So, the others (the clones), in the other homes, wouldn't change outfit, or hair, or role, unless you specifically targeted them, within that home, too.

If it was too hard to allow them to wander around a bit, as a pre-programmed script, presumably, wouldn't know where you had placed objects, they could just stand there and move a bit, like the current NPCs.

Wouldn't be ideal, but at least you could have a chef in a kitchen, appearing to be about to cook, at a grill, or a counter.

Sharpening a knife, occasionally, maybe?

Or a barperson, at a bar, about to serve a drink, or whatever.

Maybe producing a cocktail shaker and shaking it, occasionally, or something?

Or a waiter/waitress, standing by a table, holding some plates, about to serve them.

Or a receptionist, checking a reservation (you could put a bar/table/desk, with a reservation book on it, in front of them).

*I think recreate/copy would be a good thing to have in the game, anyway.

So, you don't have to keep remaking the same character look, if you have several of the same race of character and want them to look the same.
    Edited by Tigerseye on May 12, 2019 4:23AM
  • Gilvoth
    Gilvoth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yay
    just like the guy above me said, could make it an npc character and name it of ourself,
    place it, make it "look" like ourself, but it would just be an NPC.
    i would be happy with that :)
    great idea @Tigerseye
    i hope they make it happen.
    Edited by Gilvoth on May 12, 2019 4:42AM
  • Tigerseye
    Tigerseye
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Yay
    Dojohoda wrote: »
    Having alts as home items was the main thing I wanted for housing. I wanted to be able to move inventory to and from each alt in the same way that the crown store banker is used.

Would be nice, admittedly.

The main thing that puts me off having active alts is having to log off and on, constantly.

If we could, at least, check the bags and move inventory from one char to another, while in our houses and still logged on, that would be amazing.
    Edited by Tigerseye on May 12, 2019 4:47AM
  • wishlist14
    wishlist14
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nay
    I voted no because if you want your alts in any of your houses you can make them port to said house and just park them there. You cannot log into more than one character at a time anyway.

The only way I could see you having other characters in your home is if they worked as pets do, meaning they would not be your actual characters that you level yourself and play in the world but pet argonians or pet breton people or pet high elves etc.

I appreciate your creative idea. Kudos to you for your originality but I'm thinking zos would not do this. I could be wrong afcourse. Anything is possible. Just my own opinion is it's not doable and it wont happen.
    Edited by wishlist14 on May 12, 2019 6:45AM
  • ghastley
    ghastley
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other
    wishlist14 wrote: »
    I voted no because if you want your alts in any of your houses you can make them port to said house and just park them there. You cannot log into more than one character at a time anyway.
    I'd like it if that was possible. Parking a character at a house works, but when you log on with another character, they should still be there. Asleep, maybe, but at least present.
  • SantieClaws
    SantieClaws
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yay
    This one knows exactly what they would all be doing too.

Maybe some screenshots one day.

Lucky behind the bar, Tim tending the guar, Rosie splashing on the seashore, Sherlock looking for my secret wine cooling place …

Wait. There is no secret wine cooling place. None at all.

Yours with paws
    Santie Claws
    Shunrr's Skooma Oasis - The Movie. A housing video like no other ...
    Find it here - https://youtube.com/user/wenxue2222

Clan Claws - now recruiting khajiit and like minded others for parties, fishing and other khajiit stuff. Contact this one for an invite.

PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

https://www.imperialtradingcompany.eu/
  • Solariken
    Solariken
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yay
    I ALMOST voted no. Because it would inevitably mean that I'd delete all my real alts and decorate my homes with new scantily clad Bosmer wench alts.
  • IndorilArwynLlethran
    Yay
    Haha, yas! Would love to see that huge family XD
  • SantieClaws
    SantieClaws
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yay
    This was taken a while ago – before Jennet and Alderman joined the family.

But it gives you an idea of what we hope one day might be possible yes.

Yours with paws
    Santie Claws

39969298622_d25769cbd6_z.jpg
    Claws family photo

Clan Claws - now recruiting khajiit and like minded others for parties, fishing and other khajiit stuff. Contact this one for an invite.

• SilentFox22
    SilentFox22
    ✭✭✭
    Yay
    I'm sure they could find some way to market this in the Crown $tore...
  • TelvanniWizard
    TelvanniWizard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Yay
    This was taken a while ago – before Jennet and Alderman joined the family.

But it gives you an idea of what we hope one day might be possible yes.

Yours with paws
    Santie Claws

39969298622_d25769cbd6_z.jpg
    Claws family photo

That´s the kind of thing I´d love to be able to do in-game!
  • SantieClaws
    SantieClaws
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yay
    Notice how this one she stands in the middle drinking …

Yours with paws
    Santie Claws

• AbraKDabbler
    Yay
    This is also the main thing I would want for housing. Honestly, this is the main thing I want for the game. My wife and I have stories for each of our alts, and we "assign" each house to a character (which means we design it as if it's their house and they designed it).

It would make me so happy if, when Character A visits "Character B's house," that Character B is there, hanging out.

Thanks!
  • Mix
    Mix
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yay
    Would love to use my alts in houses! More incentive to get them all dressed up nice too :smiley:
  • Aireal
    Aireal
    ✭✭✭
    Yay
    Cause it would he nice ( without photoshop)
    nbiw2ja16dvq.png
    Life is about the journey...cause it all ends the same
  • Sturmfaenger
    Sturmfaenger
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would love to have a metamorph humanoid dummy, that can wear all looks I give him (like when you create a new char) and can also do all emotes I decide and can wear anything I can wear with my chars.

I would dress it up nicely and sit it somewhere in my house to play the esraj :)

But.

I'm sure this will never happen.
    Edited by Sturmfaenger on May 24, 2019 9:59PM
    PC/EU
  • TelvanniWizard
    TelvanniWizard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Yay
    Well, it could work with a token system, like change name and that. You get to use it in character select screen, and it creates the npc using the looks of that character in the moment when the token is used. Once used, it takes you to a screen similar to chacter creation, where you can set some emotes with a duration. Then, the npc is ready and appears in the collections tab, under furniture.
  • FilteredRiddle
    FilteredRiddle
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yay
    You should be able to place your alts in a home and interact with them like a chest, to access their inventory (including equipping and unequipping new gear, simply adding or removing things, etc). They could simply animate based on their personality’s idle or there could be some preset idles from which the player could select (akin to the different colors that some lights have). I have wanted this since the moment houses were added.
    Xbox One NA
    The Sentinels of Padomay
    Obsidian Guard (Social with PvX Events)

Gamers always believe that an epic win is possible and that it's always worth trying, and trying now. Gamers don't sit around.
    - Jane McGonigal