Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of October 7:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – October 7
• Xbox: EU megaserver for maintenance – October 9, 2:00 UTC (October 8, 10:00PM EDT) - 16:00 UTC (12:00PM EDT)

Which Armor sets have nice visual effects?

• gatekeeper13
    gatekeeper13
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Are there any heavy Armor sets with blue special effects around them by chance?

Senchal Defender has an extremely appealing turquoise effect. The Maarselok monster set has a blue flame, like a blue version of DK's Breath. Both go quite nicely with Necromancer skills.

Stonekeeper has some blue to it also. Stonekeeper + Alkosh + Senchal Defender is actually a pretty good tank setup for 4 man content, or Lord Warden instead of Stonekeeper of course.

Senchal Defender is decent if you have sustain problems and can help. Stonekeeper is total trash. Warden is way better set that really benefits you and your group.

Alkosh is a tank BiS set in my opinion. I never remove it from my tanks. I pair it with either Ebon or Yolna, depending on the situation and Warden ofc.
  • Urzigurumash
    Urzigurumash
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @gatekeeper13 @Jerkling

Neither Ebon nor Yolna have a blue effect. Admittedly I haven't used Stonekeeper much since the change, so I mentioned Lord Warden as well. What tank build with all blue effects would you recommend over Lord Warden + Alkosh + Senchal? Somebody else suggested Hatchling's Shell, I'd rather be in Senchal personally, both aesthetically and functionally, but Hatchling is a more rich hue of blue.

Haven of Ursus is another blue-ish option, I don't think it's stronger than Senchal or Hatchling, but it does allow one to self-proc Alkosh.

Edited by Urzigurumash on July 1, 2020 8:13PM
    Xbox NA AD / Day 1 ScrubDK / Wood Orc Cuisine Enthusiast
  • Athyrium93
    Athyrium93
    ✭✭✭✭
    I think Grace of Gloom has the best visual effect in the game, hands down. It is awesome... but the set sucks....
  • Pauls
    Pauls
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    When Caluurion procs it looks very pretty
  • shadowofnarsil
    shadowofnarsil
    ✭✭✭
    A classic - not red, but when VO is fully proc’d, it’s certainly distinctive, and I am not usually a fan of green. Same effect in white, with AY, with a snappy dagger unsheathe effect to boot.
    Edited by shadowofnarsil on July 2, 2020 2:05AM
  • Jerkling
    Jerkling
    ✭✭✭✭
    @Urzigurumash Well, first of all you have to differentiate between content - doing a none DLC dungeons is not the same as doing a DLC dungeon and doing a DLC dungeon is not the same as doing a trial.

None DLC dungeons and overland are so trivial that you are better off just fitting for spank, like (just as an example)
    • Grothdarr
    • Frozen Watcher
    • Thunderbug's Carapace/Overwhelming Surge
    For tricky boss fights or when the group is rather weak you could switch to something like (just as an example)
    • Engine Guardian
    • Brands of Imperium
    • Battalion Defender
    For DLC dungeons and trials you can of course go with the classic Lord Warden + Ebon Armor + Roar of Alkosh or more specialized builds specific for a dungeon/trial/boss.

Arenas might be something different entirely, but I've never done any arena so I can't say.

However, sets like Senchal Defender are simply unnecessary since you should be able to manage your resources just fine without it and it's taking up a slot in your build that could be used much better. Think group support before all else.

Edited by Jerkling on July 2, 2020 9:07AM
  • Grianasteri
    Grianasteri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    In particular I’m after ones that can be used for my dps and are red such as the burning spellweave set but I also wanted to know about all the other ones out there.

Well, there are quite a few. If you are dps and want red burny stuff, youre spoiled for choice.

Grothdaar procs a large circle of flame around your character. Zaan procs a fire beem at target. Illambris procs a flaming meteor shower on target. Valkyn Skoria procs a huge fire ball on target. These are all good monster sets that do good damage for mag dps.

Siroria procs a burning ring around you and its one of the highest dps sets... Nothing quite like being a magplar, with grothdar and siroria procing together and firing off all your sexy fire/sun skills all around you :)

At this point I read some replies, it seems many are discussing actual visuals ON the armour, rather than visual effects from the armour… so perhaps I misinterpreted the question.

Anyhoo, happy gaming!

• Urzigurumash
    Urzigurumash
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Jerkling

I agree with you on all points there. Except we were talking about sets with Blue Effects. So within that limitation, what's the best Blue Effect set for tanking to combine with Lord Warden and Alkosh? We've discussed Senchal Defender, Hatchling's Shell, and Haven of Ursus, surely there is another Blue Effect set with a good 5 piece bonus for tanking that we haven't discussed. This is a somewhat fatuous exercise but interesting nevertheless. I know of other Blue Effect sets, but not ones that are actually good for a 4 man tank, besides Worm's Raiment of course, but I generally think in terms of Random Queue, where one should anticipate the likelihood of a Healer running Worm's.
    Xbox NA AD / Day 1 ScrubDK / Wood Orc Cuisine Enthusiast
  • SickleCider
    SickleCider
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Thrassian Stranglers gives you a purple sparkle/streak effect when you land a killing blow. Unclear whether other players see it, too.
    ✨🐦✨ Blackfeather Court Commission ✨🐦✨
  • Sheridan
    Sheridan
    ✭✭✭✭
    Btw, anyone knows how to remove a "nice" visual effect from Slimecraw? Constant red flashes are irritating. Maybe some mod? I've heard about the mods that remove some audio effects from the abilities (procs etc.), but none about the visuals.
  • nemvar
    nemvar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The original phoenix set used to have a nice effect. Sadly it got butchered.

Btw, anyone knows how to remove a "nice" visual effect from Slimecraw? Constant red flashes are irritating. Maybe some mod? I've heard about the mods that remove some audio effects from the abilities (procs etc.), but none about the visuals.

Removing visuals is not possible with add-ons and would require actual mods to the client, easiest way is probably to change the the resource file for the visual effect to be fully transparent and set luminosity to 0.
    Such a modification, while possible, would be against the TOS. Sorry, you are stuck with glowy arms for now.

The way audio for effects gets silenced with add-ons is supreme hackery and has quite a few nasty side effects. I wish ZOS gave us more control over the client, even if it is just a .txt file where we can adjust the volume of individual sounds. (which would be hilariously easy to implement)