Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts

Master Angler

MJallday
MJallday
✭✭✭✭✭
At the risk of being a "look at me" post, i completed master angler yesterday (a guildie and i completed it within 6 hours of eachother actually!)

as a guildline i logged the amount of things i did and how long it took me, so other wannabe anglers can get a feel

platform was xbox eu
started 17th March with my first fish
finished 14th April
Total game time spend fishing : 193 Hours. Averaged 6 hours per day (i spent longer at weekends)
Total bait used : Approx 4800 of various types. Average cost per stack was 7k (5k for cheaper stuff, 10k for worms/guts). but i think i only ended up buying like 6 stacks, the rest was donated from guildies / farmed.
quickest zone was coldharbour : took 9 in game hours.
longest zone was stonefalls : mainly because of the blue end fish - that one fish took about 20 hours.
hardest zones (IMO) : was reapers (the foul fish only drops in 5 locations and 1 of them is on a WB) and rift (only 4 river locations and so i had to farm out others to get them to spawn), and alkirs (foul is only in a couple of spots quite far apart)

i did get a friend to craft 10 of the the arterum fish recipe, which DID help (it just felt a bit better on the drops) - but i did most of it with the fish eye (helps to see at night in hard to see places if nothing else)

as for doing it with others. we did have a guild event one evening which lasted 2 hours and netted me a few fish from one zone (that was worth doing - it definatly drops better when you are grouped), and i spent the odd hour or so with guidies/friends - but 95% of it was on my own. the occasional player ran past, looked at me , probably thought i was a nutcase and galloped off... but it was a lonely thing!

all i would offer up is advise is put your controller down, have it set to vibrate and midlessly jab the "a" button whilst watching several flims.
I personally watched series 1-3 of "the a team", series 2 of blackadder, series 1+2 of the office, space cowboys and the piratest of the carribearn (first 3 films) , a copious amount of "mock the week" on youtube, and a fair few episodes of QI

you really do need something else to do whilst fishing, it is mind numbingly boring. if you can group up, really do it!

hope that helps any wannabe anglers.

• MartiniDaniels
    MartiniDaniels
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm finishing my master crafter today (it's 85 minutes left for last trait, and last missing motif page is in inventory waiting for this sacramental moment), so next is master angler, thanks for advice and experience sharing :D
  • tmbrinks
    tmbrinks
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congrats!

I'm actually shocked that Coldharbour was one of your quickest.. it took me a long time to get it done because the loot table is large as there's only one type of node.
    Edited by tmbrinks on April 15, 2019 1:45PM
    Tenacious Dreamer - Hurricane Herald - Godslayer - Dawnbringer - Gryphon Heart - Tick Tock Tormenter - Immortal Redeemer - Dro-m'Athra Destroyer
    The Unchained - Oathsworn - Bedlam's Disciple - Temporal Tempest - Curator's Champion - Fist of Tava - Invader's Bane - Land, Air, and Sea Supremacy - Zero Regrets - Battlespire's Best - Bastion Breaker - Ardent Bibliophile - Subterranean Smasher - Bane of Thorns - True Genius - In Defiance of Death - No Rest for the Wicked - Nature's Wrath - Undying Endurance - Relentless Raider - Depths Defier - Apex Predator - Pure Lunacy - Mountain God - Leave No Bone Unbroken - CoS/RoM/BF/FH Challenger
    66,110 achievement points
  • SpacemanSpiff1
    SpacemanSpiff1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Congratulations!

Now go fish those DLC zones
  • Odovacar
    Odovacar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Congrats! I like your breakdown on your journey! I too have been chipping away at the master angler title for some time now. Congrats again!
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congrats! The Rift and Reapers March were also my hardest zones.
  • MJallday
    MJallday
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    tmbrinks wrote: »
    Congrats!

I'm actually shocked that Coldharbour was one of your quickest.. it took me a long time to get it done because the loot table is large as there's only one type of node.

yeah coldharbour was actually OK tbh.. initially i couldnt find any spawns, so i thought it was gonna be a problem. so i devided to go well away from hollow city, and over towards moonless walk. i did a bit over there, then worked my way down to haj uxith, then up to lost fleet and then back to the south gates of the city. by doing that and keeping away from the population and grinding zombies spots there were almost constant spots up , so it felt productive. i did that zone over about 4 nights to be honest.

one of the things i should have mentioned is that during the whole thing, i dindt FULLY complete a zone then move on, i just moved on "when i felt like it" - which i think in hindsite alleviated some of the boredom but also probably prevented the inevitable grind feeling of searching for that last fish. Whilst it left a lot of zones "half done" , what it mean was at the end i was literally finishing one zone every few hours, so it "felt" like progress (albeit in reality it was still a grind)

i really would recommend that arteum recipe. the ingrediants are expensive but it was worth it. it was quite funny actually, my mate who made me the food on saturday said to me in chat "it doesnt make any difference you know", so i was like "yeah but i gotta give myself every chance" - low and behold, the first fish i caught in reapers march after eating the recipe (after about 15 hours of grinding without it ) was the blue one i wanted.

• MJallday
    MJallday
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congratulations!

Now go fish those DLC zones

i know. not looking forward to it. that said, the summerset zone looks like interesting and theres a chance to get motifs, which are always welcome.
  • sudaki_eso
    sudaki_eso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congrats, i am also working on it but the max amount i ever spend is around 3h and then i am off for something else.
    I assume you didnt used the fishing food? 9h in coldharbour seems too long for your fastest zone . I can only recommend the Artaeum Pickled Fish Bowl, it works and as far as i can tell it saves around 30% of the time you would spend without it. Quickest zone using this food was 3h - but there is also some rng involved. Sometimes there is not a single rare fish in 3h and other times you get one every 10 minutes or on the first try...
    I am a bit worried about cyrodiil, is it ture that there are only two spots to get ocean fish? And to make things worse, the ones i found are in the middle of enemy territory...
    PS4 EU - StamDK
  • BNOC
    BNOC
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Yeah, Reaper's was my longest by far, think I spent over a week around that world boss - Must have killed it 200 times whilst I was there.
    vMSA - Magplar - Xbox EU - 15/11/16
    578,000 - 36 Minutes 58 Seconds (Top 2 World?)

vMSA - Magplar - Xbox NA
    569,000 - 40 minutes (350CP, Non optimised runs)
  • MJallday
    MJallday
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    BNOC wrote: »

Yeah, Reaper's was my longest by far, think I spent over a week around that world boss - Must have killed it 200 times whilst I was there.

i found with that zone my routine with the foul one was this -

fish out the 2 foul spots at the top in arenthia (under the 2 bridges)
    use the wayshrine to port to sren-ja
    head south. fish out the foul one near the crocodiles
    head south east, fish out the foul spot WEST of the WB
    head to the WB then either
    a) kill the WB and fish hapillly
    b) fish inbetween the WB walking around (he circuits every 1.5 mins or so , so you can get about 3 casts in. you can hide in the crevass in the rockface so he wont spot you

back up to the wayshrine at sren-ja and start over.

repeat for several hours :)

the rest of the fish wernt to bad tbh. it was just that foul one.

• MJallday
    MJallday
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    sudaki_eso wrote: »
    Congrats, i am also working on it but the max amount i ever spend is around 3h and then i am off for something else.
    I assume you didnt used the fishing food? 9h in coldharbour seems too long for your fastest zone . I can only recommend the Artaeum Pickled Fish Bowl, it works and as far as i can tell it saves around 30% of the time you would spend without it. Quickest zone using this food was 3h - but there is also some rng involved. Sometimes there is not a single rare fish in 3h and other times you get one every 10 minutes or on the first try...
    I am a bit worried about cyrodiil, is it ture that there are only two spots to get ocean fish? And to make things worse, the ones i found are in the middle of enemy territory...

i had about 16 of the artteum food in total (about 32 hours worth ) i would have had more but its primarily because i didnt have enough clan gall. if you can get it, i would definately recommend having it.

cyrodil i thought was going to be an nightmare. however, it turned out to be one of the easiest. however the caveat to that - i was on a yellow!!! i did mine in the middle of vivec rather than a low level campaign, but i picked my time, i did it when it was a "yellow" map - so i didnt get distrubed once. i guess if you are on a red/blue its gonna be harder, so proabbly worth picking a dead campaign. my mate who did it on his red told me he got killed several times over - so i guess the moral is "pick your time" or "be a yellow!"
    TBH i dont think i saw many (if any) people around at all when doing it - maybe i was just lucky.

unfortunately theres only 2 or 3 salt spots, both in the yellow zone just north east of eastern eylsewere gate. right by a river crossing. you can follow it along and do the river ones as well, i did that a few times to get the salt to respawn.
  • tmbrinks
    tmbrinks
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    MJallday wrote: »

i had about 16 of the artteum food in total (about 32 hours worth ) i would have had more but its primarily because i didnt have enough clan gall. if you can get it, i would definately recommend having it.

cyrodil i thought was going to be an nightmare. however, it turned out to be one of the easiest. however the caveat to that - i was on a yellow!!! i did mine in the middle of vivec rather than a low level campaign, but i picked my time, i did it when it was a "yellow" map - so i didnt get distrubed once. i guess if you are on a red/blue its gonna be harder, so proabbly worth picking a dead campaign. my mate who did it on his red told me he got killed several times over - so i guess the moral is "pick your time" or "be a yellow!"
    TBH i dont think i saw many (if any) people around at all when doing it - maybe i was just lucky.

unfortunately theres only 2 or 3 salt spots, both in the yellow zone just north east of eastern eylsewere gate. right by a river crossing. you can follow it along and do the river ones as well, i did that a few times to get the salt to respawn.

Yeah, doing the Cyrodiil ones on an EP toon was not fun. Fortunately, if Yellow has all their home keeps, very rarely do they actually come through the gates, they just use the Transitus shrines to port. It's be worse in a campaign that actually has Yellow pushed back to it's gates. That, and a majority of players saw you were fishing and left you alone... only a few that would actually attack.
    Tenacious Dreamer - Hurricane Herald - Godslayer - Dawnbringer - Gryphon Heart - Tick Tock Tormenter - Immortal Redeemer - Dro-m'Athra Destroyer
    The Unchained - Oathsworn - Bedlam's Disciple - Temporal Tempest - Curator's Champion - Fist of Tava - Invader's Bane - Land, Air, and Sea Supremacy - Zero Regrets - Battlespire's Best - Bastion Breaker - Ardent Bibliophile - Subterranean Smasher - Bane of Thorns - True Genius - In Defiance of Death - No Rest for the Wicked - Nature's Wrath - Undying Endurance - Relentless Raider - Depths Defier - Apex Predator - Pure Lunacy - Mountain God - Leave No Bone Unbroken - CoS/RoM/BF/FH Challenger
  • LadySinflower
    LadySinflower
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have been thinking about trying for this but I absolutely hate hate hate Cyrodiil. I don't PvP and avoid the zone. But if the fishing spots are in the territory of a certain color, could I have my alt who is that color catch those fish for me and transfer them through the bank? Or is it one of those things where the same character actually has to catch every single fish? My alt is on the same account. Thanks.
  • MJallday
    MJallday
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    tmbrinks wrote: »

Yeah, doing the Cyrodiil ones on an EP toon was not fun. Fortunately, if Yellow has all their home keeps, very rarely do they actually come through the gates, they just use the Transitus shrines to port. It's be worse in a campaign that actually has Yellow pushed back to it's gates. That, and a majority of players saw you were fishing and left you alone... only a few that would actually attack.

yeah thats the other thing to consider, even if you are on a yellow, theres very few (if any) reasons to go to that area except fishing, so to be honest the only people your gonna see down there are other fishers or gankers/hunters looking out for fishers...
  • MJallday
    MJallday
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have been thinking about trying for this but I absolutely hate hate hate Cyrodiil. I don't PvP and avoid the zone. But if the fishing spots are in the territory of a certain color, could I have my alt who is that color catch those fish for me and transfer them through the bank? Or is it one of those things where the same character actually has to catch every single fish? My alt is on the same account. Thanks.

Afraid not, its character specific - sorry!

my advice would be to pick a low level or dead campaign and do it then, id also probably avoid the next couple of weeks due to the event. maybe pick the start of elyswere - as thats when people will be focused on that, not cyro...
    just be clever about when you do it as well, so maybe time it for middle of the night, depending which timezone /server you are in.

its not as bad as you imagine tbh.
  • tmbrinks
    tmbrinks
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Afraid not, its character specific - sorry!

my advice would be to pick a low level or dead campaign and do it then, id also probably avoid the next couple of weeks due to the event. maybe pick the start of elyswere - as thats when people will be focused on that, not cyro...
    just be clever about when you do it as well, so maybe time it for middle of the night, depending which timezone /server you are in.

its not as bad as you imagine tbh.

If you're on a Blue or Red, it's not really bad IF Yellow actually controls their home keeps. The run down there takes a while, but once you're there, you're pretty much safe.

If you're really worried about those down there, there is one spot that is far off the path that nobody, other than fishers, would go towards, and you could just fish that hole and wait for respawn.
  • neverwalk
    neverwalk
    ✭✭✭✭
    Master Angler long ago, grand master crafter who knows all traits and knows all motifs-except for Honor Guard, which i believe is not in game yet. I'm also HERO of everywhere. I'll drink a Canadian BEER to that. CHEERS.
  • Universe
    Universe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Congratulations! :)
    I listened to music on YouTube while grinding to my master angler, it really helped me to not get completely bored :)
    It is highly advisable to have some distraction while fishing since it can be really boring.
    This achievement is one of the best tests for the player's patience and willpower.
    Sometimes people send me messages, like: " how could you do this ? it is extremely boring!"
    I answer: "Patience is the key to success!"
    Edited by Universe on April 15, 2019 5:27PM
    Some videos I recorded for fun: Main character:
    PC EU main: Universe - AD magicka Sorcerer, Former Emperor, Grand Overlord, The Merciless, Trial Bosses Solo Champion
    Top alts: Genius(stamina/sagicka Dragonknight) The Force(stamina Nightblade) and other chars.
    PC NA main: The Magic - AD magicka Sorcerer
    Started playing ESO in beta & early access
    User_ID: Daedric_Prince
  • zaria
    zaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I got master angler an month ago watching an tv serie on second monitor had problems sleeping :)

Less painful than I expected.
    1pmEKRKh.jpg
    Grinding just make you go in circles.
    Asking ZoS for nerfs is as stupid as asking for close air support from the death star.