The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Rude behaviour in BG’s

• InvictusApollo
    InvictusApollo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thogard wrote: »
    Nightblades do not belong in those matches. It is a selfish playstyle that only lends itself effectively to solo play.

You said it yourself - you weren’t with the group.

He might have been rude, but he wasn’t wrong. He/she did carry the team.

I would’ve simply said “please don’t queue for BGs anymore on that class - it does not belong here”

I don’t blame the players at first because it is a result of poor balancing... but to repeatedly bring a class that is useless for groups to a group encounter while KNOWING that it’s a selfish playstyle is fundamentally selfish.

Could you please stop putting all nightblades in the same bag?
    My magblade for example gives all team members 1k HOT and 250 spell and weapon damage, CCs enemies that attack them and tanks damage. It's a brawler build without Shadowy Disguise.
    My stamblade on the other hand tanks enemies by jumping straight to the action and debuffs them with major fracture, bleeds and minor maim. It also heals teammembers with Vigor. It has Shadowy Disguise only to disengage should the situation be unfavourable. But I'm already thinking about switching to Dark Cloak for even more tankiness.

As you can see not all nightblades are sneaky gankers that do hit and runs. Some are built for helping the group.

The real problem here is that people have only one build and can't change it during the match to synergize with their team.

When a single magblade makes it to high MMR matches then maybe.

But they don’t.

For a reason.

If by high MMR you mean: getting matched against hardcore premades all the time, then I guess I've got there.
  • Thogard
    Thogard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nightblades do not belong in those matches. It is a selfish playstyle that only lends itself effectively to solo play.

I would’ve simply said “please don’t queue for BGs anymore on that class - it does not belong here”

I don’t blame the players at first because it is a result of poor balancing... but to repeatedly bring a class that is useless for groups to a group encounter while KNOWING that it’s a selfish playstyle is fundamentally selfish.

Could you please stop putting all nightblades in the same bag?
    My magblade for example gives all team members 1k HOT and 250 spell and weapon damage, CCs enemies that attack them and tanks damage. It's a brawler build without Shadowy Disguise.
    My stamblade on the other hand tanks enemies by jumping straight to the action and debuffs them with major fracture, bleeds and minor maim. It also heals teammembers with Vigor. It has Shadowy Disguise only to disengage should the situation be unfavourable. But I'm already thinking about switching to Dark Cloak for even more tankiness.

As you can see not all nightblades are sneaky gankers that do hit and runs. Some are built for helping the group.

The real problem here is that people have only one build and can't change it during the match to synergize with their team.

When a single magblade makes it to high MMR matches then maybe.

But they don’t.

For a reason.

If by high MMR you mean: getting matched against hardcore premades all the time, then I guess I've got there.

Most of the premades are in upper mid MMR. Usually the high MMR is the dedicated solo queuers with 1k+ games per character.

Depends on time of day and server though. On EU it’s a bit different.
    PC NA - @dazkt - Dazk Ardoonkt / Sir Thogalot / Dask Dragoh’t / Dazk Dragoh’t / El Thogardo

Stream: twitch.tv/THOGARDvsThePeasants
    YouTube: http://youtube.com/c/thogardpvp

• LordTareq
    LordTareq
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow a lot of anti-NB feelings here. Just because my class isn’t designed to be the best group pvp class I shouldn’t participate in battlegrounds, my favorite part of ESO? Nice...

Aurielle wrote: »

I got the impression from the OP that they WERE trying to stick together, but that it was suboptimal given their lack of AOE. I may misread it, though.

No you read it correctly, we stayed with the group. It’s Thogard who obviously only reads things in such a way that it fits his anti-NB rant.
  • Aurielle
    Aurielle
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    LordTareq wrote: »
    Wow a lot of anti-NB feelings here. Just because my class isn’t designed to be the best group pvp class I shouldn’t participate in battlegrounds, my favorite part of ESO? Nice...

Aurielle wrote: »

I got the impression from the OP that they WERE trying to stick together, but that it was suboptimal given their lack of AOE. I may misread it, though.

No you read it correctly, we stayed with the group. It’s Thogard who obviously only reads things in such a way that it fits his anti-NB rant.

To be fair, Thogard has a solo NB in a lower tier MMR bracket, and is good on said NB. I don’t think he’s anti-NB, just anti-NB when it comes to team play.

Sadly, NBs are generally only decent for team play when it comes to healing. StamNB brawlers can help the team out with fears and maim and whatnot, but will always be outclassed in damage/survivability by their Warden, DK, and Templar counterparts. I tried REALLY hard for a very long time to make my brawler work, but it was a frustrating experience for the most part. I recently switched back to my magNB heal build, because it’s the only non-gank NB setup that I feel can shine (and even then... Wardens and Templars are still better).

The primary issue with NBs in group-oriented PVP modes is cloak. Even if a NB does stick with the group, they’re either leaving their teammates to take the brunt of the damage when they cloak up, or they’re wasting magicka because they’re being pulled out of cloak by enemy AOEs. NBs generally have to sit on the outskirts of the team to be any help — and even then, they’re still making their teammates more susceptible to ulti dumps and whatnot. Very few NBs build around Dark Cloak. My healer uses it (I have Armor Master and Structured Entropy back barred, to boost my max health and get the most out of Dark Cloak), but at the expense of dealing a respectable amount of damage.

Most people hate seeing NBs on their team, because they know they’re generally going to be playing outnumbered.
  • Undefwun
    Undefwun
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My stamblade is nicknamed *** blade but I still try to do more than just get kills protect runners/flags etc

My magblade and mag sorc throw are throwing heals like anything. While ranging ppl.

It’s down to the player.
    Drank Sinatra Sr - PvP Magblade - DC
    Juggathot - PvP Mag Sorc - DC
    Jedi Mind Crits - PvP A-Hole Bowblade - DC
    Dollar Store Thor - PvP Stamplar - DC
    The Bone Sumpremacy - baby Stamcro - DC
    Wârden Freeman - PvP Stamden - DC (on hold)
    Lauryn Heal - PvE Magplar DPS - DC

Lil Orc Chop - PvP Stam Sorc - EP
    Hamuel L Jackson - PvE DPS & PvP Stam DK - EP
    Chandler Bling - PvP Magden - EP

Mahalia Lightborn - exiled crafting toon - cos you know, she's AD
  • Iskiab
    Iskiab
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Well, for NB healing it’s moreso that the typical premade ball strategy with the tank tethering the healer, pure defensive to build ultimate and then dump it for burst, etc... is designed around using a warden.

So in that scenario a warden will be best.

NB healing’s strength is there is the range limit for the group is 28m. If people stay in that range they’re good, rather then a small ball.

It’s like anything else, adapt to your team and you’ll do okay.

When I don’t like seeing NBs it’s a playstyle issue, and some sorcs are just as bad. The type who stay too far away, and kite away from the group when they take damage. Or even worse kite over you while you’re healing and turn their back to the enemy. Always results in an ult dump, then they’ve been healed and keep running away leaving you to absorb the other team’s ults, cc, and damage. They’ve essentially thanked you for keeping them up by letting the other team build their ultimate so they can dump it on the healer - their real target. At the end they probably also look at their KvD and think they did a good job. So bad, worst pvpers. In some matches I feel like I’m moreso hiding from my team mates then my opponents.

I don’t know if people know, but when kiting it’s usually better to kite across your group so the squishies at the back of the enemy group are exposed and your team can’t be ult dumped because you’re not clustered.
    Edited by Iskiab on April 5, 2019 1:22PM
    Looking for any guildies I used to play with:
    Havoc Warhammer - Alair
    LoC EQ2 - Mayi and Iskiab
    Condemned and Tabula Rasa - Rift - Iskiab
    Or anyone else I used to play games with in guilds I’ve forgotten
  • Thogard
    Thogard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If the minor vulnerability on ambush change goes through then sNBs could be useful in groups for once.

That’d be a nice change.
    PC NA - @dazkt - Dazk Ardoonkt / Sir Thogalot / Dask Dragoh’t / Dazk Dragoh’t / El Thogardo

• Undefwun
    Undefwun
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    or we all should just play cheesdens.. with shalks db and spin 2 win front bar and all the heals backbar...

• Thogard
    Thogard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Undefwun wrote: »
    or we all should just play cheesdens.. with shalks db and spin 2 win front bar and all the heals backbar...

You’re confusing Stamdens for magdens

• Undefwun
    Undefwun
    ✭✭✭✭✭

i might be on high ping and plain average at pvp.. but i can read a recap...

sub assault... dbos.. spin 2 win

OR

sub assault, perma frost spin 2 win...

• Iskiab
    Iskiab
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    If the minor vulnerability on ambush change goes through then sNBs could be useful in groups for once.

That’d be a nice change.

Minor vulnerability on ambush? I want to read the notes so bad. I keep hearing rumours and want to read them for myself.
    Havoc Warhammer - Alair
  • wheem_ESO
    wheem_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Magicka Wardens don't use Steel Tornado. Or any other execute for that matter (outside of maybe the Bear in duels or something). I also don't know that I've ever seen a Magicka Warden run Dawnbreaker.
    Iskiab wrote: »

That’d be a nice change.

Minor vulnerability on ambush? I want to read the notes so bad. I keep hearing rumours and want to read them for myself.
    I think most of the rumors are coming from the event in Boston where Elsweyr was shown off (and there was a separate event in London just before it, I think?) Some things certainly won't go live in their current state, but official patch notes should be coming soon'ish, since the PTS will be opening up on April 15th. Hopefully we can get enough people over there to get some BGs going, because when I've tried in the past it just wasn't happening.
  • Koensol
    Koensol
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Kartalin wrote: »
    If you’re going to play magblade support with buffs and heals for your group, why not roll a magden?

I prefer my NB. The points you get from battlegrounds favour damage over healing, so getting to higher MMR is more about being good at damage then healing. For a templar or warden that’s easy, for a magblade that means using a lot of guild or destruction staff abilities.

Personally I think after trying Warden, Templar and NB as a pvp healer NBs are the strongest, though I don’t have a lot of experience on my Warden. Wardens are too short range for me and favour balling up. I solo queue and like the 28m NB healing range for disorganized pugs.

I’ve seen some good templar healers but don’t think I’ve seen a really strong warden healer too.

Healers on other classes get moved up to higher MMR matches
    I think this is a very black and white statement, and thus not accurate. You personally might not see any NB healers in higher MMR, but that might just be an issue with people not knowing how to build one that is effective in the usual dynamic of high MMR matches, i.e. sticking as a tight group focussing on movement and stacking AoE.

On PC EU there are some insanely strong NB healers in the high MMR, that are both tanky and pump out lots of healing and support, who take away a lot of heat from the more squishy team members by being right on the frontlines.

My personal build has pulled up to 2,3 million healing, is able to facetank 3/4 players for a considerable amount of time and can spam the free burstheal almost indefinately due to how it's built, provides to the group AoE minor maim, lots of orbs, major expedition and area denial through constant AoE fear runes. On top of that it provides two strong ults, one with major protection for 18 seconds and an OP synergy and the other being the best heal ult in the game, able to heal people from 10% to 100% in a matter of 2 seconds.

So this argument of NB healers not being placed in high MMR is a player problem, not a class problem.
  • bongtokin420insd16
    bongtokin420insd16
    ✭✭✭✭
    lol what i don't understand is the hate for the long distance sniper blade. Its legit if ur not spamming, and effective in helping ur teammates by thinning the numbers on the other side quickly with high pinpoint damage. Snipers in other pvp games do this effectively and no one really complains, whats the dif?

My tank never gets kills, but thats not his role. My blade isn't tanky, but thats not his roll. To say a class completely doesn't belong is ridiculous.

Also, i think most here are talking straight Deathmatch, which is what, 20 percent of pvp? The other 80 a cloaking blade is money.

Land grabs, i can sneak up and take out small parties guarding nodes (or take and defend one solo. My tank can do that 2, but once its 2 on 1 she loses the node). Chaosball, i can set traps in front of other carriers by cloaking (so can any other class by being invis btw) or i can help clear people off my carrier same way (CC, et al).

I'm just saying, yes there are alot of cheeseblades, but its not all of us. And its no fun to constantly be whispered even before matches start on how im gonna be toxic before u even see me play.

**Steps off soapbox lol**
    Kaz_Wastelander PS4NA
  • Thogard
    Thogard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Koensol wrote: »
    If you’re going to play magblade support with buffs and heals for your group, why not roll a magden?

I prefer my NB. The points you get from battlegrounds favour damage over healing, so getting to higher MMR is more about being good at damage then healing. For a templar or warden that’s easy, for a magblade that means using a lot of guild or destruction staff abilities.

Personally I think after trying Warden, Templar and NB as a pvp healer NBs are the strongest, though I don’t have a lot of experience on my Warden. Wardens are too short range for me and favour balling up. I solo queue and like the 28m NB healing range for disorganized pugs.

I’ve seen some good templar healers but don’t think I’ve seen a really strong warden healer too.

I think this is a very black and white statement, and thus not accurate. You personally might not see any NB healers in higher MMR, but that might just be an issue with people not knowing how to build one that is effective in the usual dynamic of high MMR matches, i.e. sticking as a tight group focussing on movement and stacking AoE.

On PC EU there are some insanely strong NB healers in the high MMR, that are both tanky and pump out lots of healing and support, who take away a lot of heat from the more squishy team members by being right on the frontlines.

My personal build has pulled up to 2,3 million healing, is able to facetank 3/4 players for a considerable amount of time and can spam the free burstheal almost indefinately due to how it's built, provides to the group AoE minor maim, lots of orbs, major expedition and area denial through constant AoE fear runes. On top of that it provides two strong ults, one with major protection for 18 seconds and an OP synergy and the other being the best heal ult in the game, able to heal people from 10% to 100% in a matter of 2 seconds.

So this argument of NB healers not being placed in high MMR is a player problem, not a class problem.

If it’s a player problem on an entire server then it’s probably not just a player problem.

Comparing the NB ult to remembrance or perma is disingenuous imo.

• Aurielle
    Aurielle
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

If it’s a player problem on an entire server then it’s probably not just a player problem.

Which ult are you referring to? Soul Siphon? If so, Soul Siphon completely outclasses Remembrance. It is the strongest burst healing ultimate in the game, and it has a decent damage synergy attached to it. It also doesn’t lock you in place, allowing you to keep moving with your team.

NB healers are insane, esp. when built to be tanky. Healthy Offering is objectively better than BoL, and Soul Siphon is objectively better than Remembrance. The primary reason, IMO, why more people play Templar healers is because that’s what they’ve always played, and because Templars have access to a cheap purge. If the magicka cost of Efficient Purge were brought in line with ritual, I think you would absolutely see more NB healers. Edit: oh, and if NB healers could put out better AOE damage, too, you’d see more of them. If we had something like jabs or shalks, we’d rack up more assists and kills.

In short, NBs are excellent for pure healing (and arguably are better than the traditional healing classes where burst healing is concerned), but need a cheap purge and better AOE damage to hit the scores that other healers manage.
    Edited by Aurielle on April 8, 2019 11:56AM
  • Koensol
    Koensol
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Not really, I just think you haven't seen any strong NB support builds yet who can function well in high MMR. Keep in mind the grand majority of people think: NB = assassin. They could never even imagine a NB could heal, let alone perform at high level MMR and be this hard to kill. But anyone with an ounce of critical thinking in them can see the strong tools of the nightblade to be able to dish out healing and take a lot of damage in return. I mean.. minor maim, minor protection, major protection, major evasion, minor resolve, minor ward + the healing multipliers minor mending and major vitality + siphoning passives. This is only just from class skills...

I'm not seeing any arguments from you here as to why NB's are supposedly inferior to other healers. The only thing a templar healer has going for them is the purge synergy. And thats really the only major thing. Remembrence is a total meme compared to soul siphon and perma doesn't heal, and that can also be provided by other wardens in the group where it will probably deal more damage anyway.
    Edited by Koensol on April 8, 2019 3:12PM
  • WillhelmBlack
    WillhelmBlack
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I've never won a match with 2 Nightblades on my team. I'm not a ragist though. I'd just leave as soon as the match is over and pray I get the 2 Wardens that were on the other team since they were designed for BG's.
    Edited by WillhelmBlack on April 8, 2019 3:19PM
    PC EU
  • WillhelmBlack
    WillhelmBlack
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Not really, I just think you haven't seen any strong NB support builds yet who can function well in high MMR. Keep in mind the grand majority of people think: NB = assassin. They could never even imagine a NB could heal, let alone perform at high level MMR and be this hard to kill. But anyone with an ounce of critical thinking in them can see the strong tools of the nightblade to be able to dish out healing and take a lot of damage in return. I mean.. minor maim, minor protection, major protection, major evasion, minor resolve, minor ward + the healing multipliers minor mending and major vitality + siphoning passives. This is only just from class skills...

I'm not seeing any arguments from you here as to why NB's are supposedly inferior to other healers. The only thing a templar healer has going for them is the purge synergy. And thats really the only major thing. Remembrence is a total meme compared to soul siphon and perma doesn't heal, and that can also be provided by other wardens in the group where it will probably deal more damage anyway.

I second this, sustain is better as well. Unfortunately you never see NB healers tho.
    PC EU
  • Iskiab
    Iskiab
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Bbnj

@Aurielle
    Shush... allude to it but don’t say things like that, I’m actually worried we’re up for a nerf. As long as most players are clueless we’ll be okay. I’ve also seen it a lot where people roll classes to be the alpha healer (templar or warden) and are adamant they’re the best, if you prove they aren’t a million nerf x threads will pop up because they feel entitled to be from their class choice.

Try master’s/BRP staff with impulse. I break my 5 piece Transmutation. Gets around reflections and will provide the aoe. I’ve been getting some 4k+ scores with it in deathmatches and breaking 1 million damage and healing. Impale for kill stealing.
    Edited by Iskiab on April 8, 2019 6:17PM
    Havoc Warhammer - Alair
  • Iskiab
    Iskiab
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I've never won a match with 2 Nightblades on my team. I'm not a ragist though. I'd just leave as soon as the match is over and pray I get the 2 Wardens that were on the other team since they were designed for BG's.

Sounds like this is an issue with your spec. I have multiple times.
    Edited by Iskiab on April 8, 2019 4:16PM
    Havoc Warhammer - Alair
  • Iskiab
    Iskiab
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Each class has their strengths and weaknesses. A lot depends on your group comp.

Since BG rewards are more about score then survivability I’ve had more success boosting damage and healing then survivability. I might die 4x in a death match but usually get more PKs as the healer then deaths so I’m okay with it. I ended up sacrificing defensive utility abilities but whatever, I need healing and damage abilities for a good score.
    Edited by Iskiab on April 8, 2019 6:18PM
    Havoc Warhammer - Alair
  • Urvoth
    Urvoth
    ✭✭✭✭✭

You somewhat had a point till you mentioned PC EU...
  • LordTareq
    LordTareq
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    While not a healer, I’ve been experimenting with putting malevolent offering on my ranged backbar, and it has been a great success so far. Being able to do on demand 6k heals on teammembers without a resource cost is great, and as a magblade I’m so hard to pin down and kill that suffering some health damage doesn’t matter too much.
  • HEBREWHAMMERRR
    HEBREWHAMMERRR
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @brandonv516 looks like @Thogard is hating on the magblade heals man lol.
  • brandonv516
    brandonv516
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    @brandonv516 looks like @Thogard is hating on the magblade heals man lol.

No worries bro.

I love being one of the only Magblade healers in BGs (Xbox NA) playing at a high MMR level.

It can get so intense when I get 3 solid teammates to face some of those premades. Made some of them eat crow for believing my build is a joke.

;)
  • Kel
    Kel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I love how this post started as a rude behavior post then devolved into a critique of night blade healers....😆

The forums, man....gotta love them...
  • Iskiab
    Iskiab
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Kel wrote: »
    I love how this post started as a rude behavior post then devolved into a critique of night blade healers....😆

It’s all good. Feedback and opinions are always good. I’d rather discuss it civilly in a thread with intelligent conversation about it then have a ‘NB Healers Suck!’ thread. Off topic from the OP yea, but whatever.

NB healing is experienced based. Once you realize half the NB toolkit is absolute garbage for pvp and only use the good abilities you can make it work.
    Edited by Iskiab on April 12, 2019 11:55AM
    Havoc Warhammer - Alair
  • Koensol
    Koensol
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

It’s all good. Feedback and opinions are always good. I’d rather discuss it civilly in a thread with intelligent conversation about it then have a ‘NB Healers Suck!’ thread. Off topic from the OP yea, but whatever.
    It's kinda funny though, seeing all the critique without any substantial arguments. People just don't like nightblades and they are inable to look past this and see the actual potential of the class in terms of healing. Last week I pulled 2.9 million healing with 0 deaths on my nb healer in BGs. Meanwhile every single dd on my team did more than 2 million dmg. All I can do is laugh at the sheep mentality tbh :D
  • Iskiab
    Iskiab
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

It's kinda funny though, seeing all the critique without any substantial arguments. People just don't like nightblades and they are inable to look past this and see the actual potential of the class in terms of healing. Last week I pulled 2.9 million healing with 0 deaths on my nb healer in BGs. Meanwhile every single dd on my team did more than 2 million dmg. All I can do is laugh at the sheep mentality tbh :D

Nice that’s a new high for what I’ve seen. What were your points? I’ve gone the route of mixing damage and healing. I sacrifice some utility/survivability but am rewarded for it by the system.

I’ve also found that people appreciate the freedom it gives, since the abilities I use are 28m. Not having to stack allows people more leeway in their gameplay. Especially against ball groups who tend not to gap close and are easy to kite, their whole thing is stay in springs/prayer range, plus try and force the front line to kite back so they can ult dump the entire group.

I don’t premade but I’d experiment with not balling up, as the whole reason for doing it revolves around the warden class. Plus yes - I’ve been against them, and yes I’ve won (though not always of course).
    Edited by Iskiab on April 13, 2019 8:30PM
    Havoc Warhammer - Alair