The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

[Rhage’s Stamplar Talks] Your Stamplar and You.

caeliusstarbreaker
caeliusstarbreaker
✭✭✭✭✭
Hey Everyone,

I’ve been wanting to do something like this for a while, and it was gonna come out maybe 1-2 patches ago but a bunch of things in the game changed so I decided to hold off.

I also didn’t want people to just copy and paste builds. I want them to think through what they are doing, and build something that fits them from start to finish. To do that we are gonna have to go through a few talking points first.

Episodes are gonna start a little dreary at first talking about big friction points in stamplar class, but we’ll get to making your builds very soon I assure you.

Feel free to join into discussion in the comment sections.

I wasn’t aiming to kill anyone with PowerPoint so the format is informal conversation.

Cheers,
Rhage

Episode 1: Friction Skill/Passive Review
https://youtu.be/qd6yLvLGSck

Episode 2: Weapons Orientation
https://youtu.be/kSPzWETONVI
Edited by caeliusstarbreaker on March 29, 2019 5:41PM
Rhage Lionpride DC Stamina Templar
K-Hole
  • Kupoking
    Kupoking
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice initiative !
  • Braedon998
    YES! Inform them so I can stop hearing about how "Bad stamplar is" nah its just how you build or play yall.
  • casparian
    casparian
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Braedon998 wrote: »
    YES! Inform them so I can stop hearing about how "Bad stamplar is" nah its just how you build or play yall.
    It's not an either/or. Of course building and playing well makes a difference, as it does with any class. But as Rhage amply demonstrates, the vast majority of Templar skills and passives are either borderline useless or fully useless for stamplar. The fact that some people can do well with it after a lot of practice doesn't mean the class is well designed.
    7-day PVP campaign regular 2016-2019, Flawless Conqueror. MagDK/stamplar/stamwarden/mageblade. Requiem, Legend, Knights of Daggerfall. Currently retired from the wars; waiting on performance improvements.
  • MaxJrFTW
    MaxJrFTW
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Stamplar is bad at the moment. Anyone arguing this just doesn't play one, or doesn't play anything else. In other words, clueless.
    Edited by MaxJrFTW on March 29, 2019 8:19PM
    "I don't know you, and I don't care to know you."
    ―Ulrich Leland, 3E 433
  • usmcjdking
    usmcjdking
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    there is so much five paragraph order in this format, lingo and terminology that i'm getting flashbacks.
  • Cinbri
    Cinbri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thàt why I cant agree that Templar in a great spot.
    Both specs are on a different sides of balance-problem stick:
    Manaplar have usage of class skills and passives that are terribly balanced and clunky.
    While stamplar barely have usage of its weak class identity but have use of superior weapon lines and global mechanics like rolldodge.
    P.S.:its even funnier knowing that only usable skill for stamplar in dawn wrath line - backlash, can be double-mitigated. :D
  • Alucardo
    Alucardo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Legend says that nightblades are past stamplars that found the class too difficult to play
  • caeliusstarbreaker
    caeliusstarbreaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    usmcjdking wrote: »
    there is so much five paragraph order in this format, lingo and terminology that i'm getting flashbacks.

Hahahaha you’re welcome devil.
    Institutionalized.
    Edited by caeliusstarbreaker on March 30, 2019 11:10AM
    K-Hole
  • Minno
    Minno
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cinbri wrote: »
    Thàt why I cant agree that Templar in a great spot.
    Both specs are on a different sides of balance-problem stick:
    Manaplar have usage of class skills and passives that are terribly balanced and clunky.
    While stamplar barely have usage of its weak class identity but have use of superior weapon lines and global mechanics like rolldodge.
    P.S.:its even funnier knowing that only usable skill for stamplar in dawn wrath line - backlash, can be double-mitigated. :D

Well I think when we say Templar is ina great spot, we also think other classes don't have the same clear pros/cons that Templar does. Aka everyone else is overloaded ;)
    Minno - DC - Forum-plar Extraordinaire
    - Guild-lead for MV
    - Filthy Casual
  • Vapirko
    Vapirko
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    MaxJrFTW wrote: »

Stamplar is bad at the moment. Anyone arguing this just doesn't play one, or doesn't play anything else. In other words, clueless.

Bad compared to what though? Saying it’s bad compared to any other class is a bit much. They need some work but they’re still very viable. I wouldn’t say that they’re worse than Stam sorc or magicka sorc or magicka dk. Honestly I far prefer jabs to sub assault though the warden skills and passives are overall much more varied and provide more buffs/debuffs. Stamplar could be great with a few tweaks.
  • CatchMeTrolling
    CatchMeTrolling
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Vapirko wrote: »

Bad compared to what though? Saying it’s bad compared to any other class is a bit much. They need some work but they’re still very viable. I wouldn’t say that they’re worse than Stam sorc or magicka sorc or magicka dk. Honestly I far prefer jabs to sub assault though the warden skills and passives are overall much more varied and provide more buffs/debuffs. Stamplar could be great with a few tweaks.

You think magicka sorc is bad or something? They’re definitely not and neither is magdk. Stam sorc probably the only reasonable mention but even then they’re still good in groups/bgs. Stam dk and magblade would be better comparisons.

Stamplar isn’t bad but has a lot of useless things that they don’t benefit from. An easily avoided spammable which is even worse in lag and it’s wonky with the gcd. No real defense built into the class. Healing has been gutted patch after patch. Oh yeah you have to make yourself vulnerable every time you use jabs because you drop your “defense” just to go on offense making it even harder to solo pvp.

I’m a pretty decent stamplar but that’s only because of experience. As of right now they could use more healing and mitigation and a tweak to jabs delivery but that’s suppose to come next update.

• cpuScientist
    cpuScientist
    ✭✭✭✭✭

You think magicka sorc is bad or something? They’re definitely not and neither is magdk. Stam sorc probably the only reasonable mention but even then they’re still good in groups/bgs. Stam dk and magblade would be better comparisons.

Stamplar isn’t bad but has a lot of useless things that they don’t benefit from. An easily avoided spammable which is even worse in lag and it’s wonky with the gcd. No real defense built into the class. Healing has been gutted patch after patch. Oh yeah you have to make yourself vulnerable every time you use jabs because you drop your “defense” just to go on offense making it even harder to solo pvp.

I’m a pretty decent stamplar but that’s only because of experience. As of right now they could use more healing and mitigation and a tweak to jabs delivery but that’s suppose to come next update.

Wait you think StamDK is bad or something? The only comparison is magBlade and StamSorc.
  • CatchMeTrolling
    CatchMeTrolling
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Wait you think StamDK is bad or something? The only comparison is magBlade and StamSorc.

Ok

• Solariken
    Solariken
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yeah man great outline of issues. I think stamplar woes could be mostly solved with a few easy changes:

1. Burning Light procs on all DOTs (and undodgeable if the proc source was not dodged)

2. Mending applies to all healing done

3. Light Weaver instead increases movement speed while channeling/casting by 30% (great for 2h builds and bow builds) and reduces all cast/channel times by 10% (brings Jabs in line with GCD and helps with 2h, bow, Dark Flare, etc) This would give stamplar its funness niche akin to Dk melee range increase.

• usmcjdking
    usmcjdking
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Solariken wrote: »
    3. Light Weaver instead increases movement speed while channeling/casting by 30% (great for 2h builds and bow builds) and reduces all cast/channel times by 10% (brings Jabs in line with GCD and helps with 2h, bow, Dark Flare, etc) This would give stamplar its funness niche akin to Dk melee range increase.

That would actually be boss af.
  • Vapirko
    Vapirko
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Nope just listing the classes I’ve got experience with comparing it to lol. Chill. And you basically just reiterated my point. A few tweaks like you mentioned at the bottom and they could be great, one of which is already coming. That’s why I said calling them bad compared to any other class is a bit much. Also there’s no way in hell stamplar is in as bad of state as magblade lol. Have you tried playing a magblade? It would be the equivalent of using only ritual for a heal or something. And stamina DK isn’t as bad as people say. They lack some built in burst but the access to major mending and minor brutality makes them insanely strong. And wings/fossilize are very good skills as are poison claws and noxious breath. They can be real tough to beat.
    Edited by Vapirko on April 5, 2019 1:35AM
  • CatchMeTrolling
    CatchMeTrolling
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Nope just listing the classes I’ve got experience with comparing it to lol. Chill. And you basically just reiterated my point. A few tweaks like you mentioned at the bottom and they could be great, one of which is already coming. That’s why I said calling them bad compared to any other class is a bit much. Also there’s no way in hell stamplar is in as bad of state as magblade lol. Have you tried playing a magblade? It would be the equivalent of using only ritual for a heal or something. And stamina DK isn’t as bad as people say. They lack some built in burst but the access to major mending and minor brutality makes them insanely strong. And wings/fossilize are very good skills as are poison claws and noxious breath. They can be real tough to beat.

I never said anything about magblade being in the same category but if that’s what you took from that, that’s fine.

• technohic
    technohic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Disappointed I missed this thread until now. Hoping you do more but sounds like some changes are coming all around.

I've played all.the classes in magicka and stam except Warden and have fun, and can see where practice could make them much better, but keep falling back to stamplar. Specifically bow 2her as it fits me. I do have a stam sorc that feels a little similar that runs my dual wield/2her I had used on my stamplar.
  • MaxJrFTW
    MaxJrFTW
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

You are not someone worth having an argument with.
    "I don't know you, and I don't care to know you."
    ―Ulrich Leland, 3E 433
  • Hymzir
    Hymzir
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I chuckled when you said in that first vid, that jabs is probably the main reason why anyone plays stamplar, and that you don't understand why anyone would if they weren't using jabs. I totally agree with that sentiment, and do not use jabs on my pvp stamplar build. For all the reasons you mentioned in your vid, and some extra ones you didn't cover. It just doesn't work in PVP. The whole of aedric spear line doesn't work for stamplars in PVP.

Jabs is a nice enough ability when mowing down trash mobs in PVE, but feels utterly anemic in PVP. I get better results just spamming brawler with a 2h weapon. At least then I get an easy access to Major Brutality and it seems to work much better in lag, and the constant small shield makes up for lack of self heals. It's still crap compared to being a stam DK or stam warden, but... you know , beggars can't be choosers. Though, to be fair, I ran with that for a while for the change in pace, and am back to being a bowplar with sword and board back bar for some instant tankiness. (Yeah, I run one of those weird oddball builds. But it fits my style and works well enough.)

Jabs isn't something I really want to use in boss fights either. I'd just get in the way of the tank whose trying to keep agro and wont have enough survivability to eat those attacks hat one hit kill you unless blocking. And no, minor protection wont really mean much when trying to melee a boss in this game. Besides, so many bosses keep moving about so much, that a ranged DPS works lot better, at least in my experience.

So to answer the question you poised, the reason one plays as stamplar without jabs, is because one made the mistake of rolling an Imperial Templar as my main 5 years ago and has been regretting that decision pretty much ever since, and just doing my best to adapt to a game that really seems to hate my class and race combination. I also do slot Sweep just so that I get at least some benefit from aedric passives, but would really prefer being able to slot something more useful.

Back when they had the brain-dead idea of moving Minor Protection to jabs, I was not happy and voiced my issues with the move. Not that it mattered much, since ZOS pretty much always goes ahead with their ideas, no matter how many warn them about it being a bad idea.

Tying Templar source of Minor Protection to activating an Aedric skill really limits our option. Like you mentioned, it's okayish when you are on the offense, but what about when you are on defense? Sun shield is useless these days, and throwing javelins every three seconds is not realistic. Besides that skill is also rubbish. It's weak, costly and blockable, dodgeable and reflectable. And it doesn't even stun for that long to be honest. The only thing it has is reach, and that is a fairly recent development. And like all aedric skills, large portion of it's damage, and thus the whole classes, is tied to Burning Light procs. To benefit from class damage potential, you have to be using aedric skills. And they all suck. So yeah... 90% of the whole skill line is wasted as a stamina based build in PVP.

And the same goes for Dawn's Wrath... PotL is the only thing, besides Restoring Spirit, that is of any use to a stamina character. And PotL is mostly useless in duels, or when there's only couple of combatants involved on each side. It takes forever to proc, and there's just noway you are gonna be dealing enough damage solo to make it's burst meaningful. It does work fairly well in large battles, where you can just tag bunch of enemies with it. Always someone unlucky in a group that gets caught of guard, but it's not all that satisfying way to get kills. And it's even more annoying when you are on the receiving end.

I do drop skill points into the other passives too, since I have more than enough skill points on my main not to worry about it. And Minor Sorcery does give me few more points of healing form my Ritual, so there is that. And in large battles I will be lobbing PotLs right and left anyway, so it works as a steady way to get some extra ulti. But still... nothing to write home about.

Restoring Light is an odd one, on one hand, there are three skills on that line, that no templar in their right mind would go out to battle without. And even the ulti has is actually useful - sometimes, in some situations at least. Cleansing ritual, is just too good of utility skill to pass. I do agree with your take on the buy one get dozen extra for free approach the game has taken to debuffs. I have some screenshots I've taken, where I have like 20 debuff active on me at the same time. And even if you spam cleanse like mad and get yourself completely purger, the next wave of attacks gives you10 new debuffs to deal with. Still... Would not wade into battle without it.

And then there is the rune situation... Both magplars and stamplars are forced to use their respective rune since our regen is tied down to it. The recent change to it, did do wonders for our sustain, but I still dearly miss a reliable source for both Minor protection and Minor Vitality. At least that thing made my Vigor heals bigger. I too would happily go back to that iteration of the skill.

As for the third skill used from them line, Magpalrs use Rushed for their third, while Stamplars go with Repentance. And I too like the skill. But wish there was some other option too, since the way it works just reinforces the idea of being a jab machine meant to mow down trash mobs or adds in boss fights. It does come in handy in big battles in Cyro though, especially now that Templars now longer have to compete over corpses. But you are totally right on it being the first skill to go when you need to slot something else. AS good as it is, it is also situational, and not something you can base your build around.

The main issue with the skill line is with the passives and the main function of the skill line. Before Warden was thing, Templar was the only class with a dedicated healing tree. However, all the healing it does is magicka based. That may have worked back when everyone was a hybrid, before we got CP and the power creep took hold.

At this point the only useful thing there is sacred ground, 'cause that minor mending helps vigor. (Remember when it used to be major mending? And how they nerfed it 'cause magicka jabs heal so much? Lot of good that does when you are running a stamplar. It's also another move that reinforces the idea, that the only accepted build and playstyle for a Templar is that of a jabspammer.) So once again, there is only one passive in the tree that is actually useful for us, and there isn't much point in placing points in the others unless you have points to spare. If you have done most of the content and have collected all the skyshards, you will have tons of points and might as well get them, but if you are tight on points, then you can safely just skip them.

Anyway... Good and insightful take on things, Agree with pretty much everything you said in those vids, and expect most of us who play Templars, and stamplars in particular, to do so as well. The problem is that ZOS just doesn't seem to get it. No matter how many times we try, no matter how many years pass, they just don't seem to understand the issue.
  • dazee
    dazee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I love jabs as a quick and easy aoe and use it in pve all the time on my stamplar, only annoying thing is the long channel time.
    Playing your character the way your character should play is all that matters. Play as well as you can but never betray the character. Doing so would make playing an mmoRPG pointless.
  • Brrrofski
    Brrrofski
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Will watch these when I get time and will feed in to the discussion.

Been playing mostly stamplar the last 3 patches. Been hopping on all stam classes though (to get reward tier 3). Stamplar feels strong to me. Main reason is because of the bleed meta so a cleanse is incredibly useful. Using empowering sweep on my back bar too - that skill is so incredibly strong.

Few things it does need off top of my head:
    - Jabs needs a shorter cast time
    - More options for playstyle other than DW/2H. I've played around with 2H/Bow and 2H/S&B and honestly, they suck in comparison. Nothing compares to rending dot for pressure and no expedition (forced to use psijic skill which chews through magica)

Like I said, will watch these another time though and get into whatever specifics you bring up. For reference I've played all classes a fair bit in PvP apart from magden and I play solo 90% of the time.
    Edited by Brrrofski on April 5, 2019 6:41AM
  • CatchMeTrolling
    CatchMeTrolling
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Brrrofski wrote: »
    Will watch these when I get time and will feed in to the discussion.

Been playing mostly stamplar the last 3 patches. Been hopping on all stam classes though (to get reward tier 3). Stamplar feels strong to me. Main reason is because of the bleed meta so a cleanse is incredibly useful. Using empowering sweep on my back bar too - that skill is so incredibly strong.

Few things it does need off top of my head:
    - Jabs needs a shorter cast time
    - More options for playstyle other than DW/2H. I've played around with 2H/Bow and 2H/S&B and honestly, they suck in comparison. Nothing compares to rending dot for pressure and no expedition (forced to use psijic skill which chews through magica)

Like I said, will watch these another time though and get into whatever specifics you bring up. For reference I've played all classes a fair bit in PvP apart from magden and I play solo 90% of the time.

The issue with cleanse is the fact that it’s only good against people that’s not stacking negative effects. Honestly you don’t even have to stack them and you’ll riddle someone down with them because there’s so many things that’s considered negative in this game. You also have people that’s built to cheese you down (looking at the one and only build dks are using) making cleanse irrelevant. And in solo pvp the quality of the skill diminishes as your opponents increase.

I back bar empowering too since I feel everyone should run a offense and defense ult but it’s also because the class has little defense and, it’s strong for its cost. Buuuut it’s also the reason taking minor protection from rune was a bad change since they could stack.

• technohic
    technohic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I had been reading POTL and PL wrong. From what the first video says and what the tooltip says, it only releases 20% of the maximum copied damage. But I could swear it copied only 20% of the damage copied and that limit was the most you can do when released. Pretty sure I have released 20k damage on it at the end before. Not in PvP, as it then gets muddy to me what happens when damage is halved to begin with.
    Edited by technohic on April 5, 2019 8:31PM
  • akredon_ESO
    akredon_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    i dont mean for this to come off as boastful or i know more than anyone but, i have over 5600 hours played on my templar /played sits right at 240 days with 22k achievement points rank 26 in pvp. Templar is a really cool class that i feel struggles with being forced into being a healer. When i play healer i feel like a god like aint no one dying on my watch have all the heals !. But the way alot of people want to play this class is like that of a paladin. My self included, I have been playing the class since beta and it has very much evolved since the earlier days. But as game goes on and they keep making changes to the

class which the last few have been really awesome, we still need more. I my self am contemplating droping Templar after 5 years of playing and going necro because i know they have put more effort into that class which is new and has a better toolkit yet my toolkit i have with Templar has become less and less as time has gone on. ZOS removing Major mending from us was a wrong choice. i feel like when i pvp most dps classes out heal me. Jabs needs to be reworked or seriously buffed in its mechanics. I will advocate for this till i die, But anyway when i get home i will watch your videos i just wanted to express that i think Templar deserve more at this point, and by more i mean something that allows us to succeed in the "paladin" vision that so many of us want to play
  • Minno
    Minno
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Been using stamplar recently so sti getting used to it again. I'll probably swap gear around but locked into bow/resto ATM. It's basically magplarbut in Stam form lol.

I hate that I have to use a mag weapon to get a mobilty friendly healing ult, the mending passive, and major mending. I also hate that if you don't abuse bleeds, potl feels less impactful due to the double mitigation. And I hate that bow doesn't have the same DMG boost 2h/dw have.

The passive identity removed sucks, and I'm dying a little bit inside Everytime a stamblade/stamDK can outheal me lol.

Overall let's see what pts gives us.
    Edited by Minno on April 7, 2019 8:05PM
    - Guild-lead for MV
    - Filthy Casual
  • caeliusstarbreaker
    caeliusstarbreaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Minno wrote: »
    Been using stamplar recently so sti getting used to it again. I'll probably swap gear around but locked into bow/resto ATM. It's basically magplarbut in Stam form lol.

I hate that I have to use a mag weapon to get a mobilty friendly healing ult, the mending passive, and major mending. I also hate that if you don't abuse bleeds, potl feels less impactful due to the double mitigation. And I hate that bow doesn't have the same DMG boost 2h/dw have.

The passive identity removed sucks, and I'm dying a little bit inside Everytime a stamblade/stamDK can outheal me lol.

Why in God’s name would you use dw/resto? Haha
    K-Hole
  • Minno
    Minno
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Minno wrote: »

Why in God’s name would you use dw/resto? Haha

It's now DW/Bow as of today ;). Like experimenting, especially since our healing ultimate doesn't let us be mobile lol.
    - Guild-lead for MV
    - Filthy Casual
  • Fur_like_snow
    Fur_like_snow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It would be nice if the one morph of charge was stamina so I’d have access to a class gap closer while running DW/bow.
  • Vapirko
    Vapirko
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I never said anything about magblade being in the same category but if that’s what you took from that, that’s fine.

You said magblade is a better comparison.