The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of May 13:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – May 13
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – May 14, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Trying to survive as magsorc healer in light armour

Gretzel
Gretzel
✭✭✭
I recently switched to light armour for sustain. Spent a lot of my very limited funds on respeccing out of heavy so I dont want to switch back but frankly the survivability sucks right now. Im cp 230 so Im missing a lot of points and am confused on how to survive in this gear. Every dps is dropping 10k with about everything and that's a huge problem. Im running transmutation set and 2 piece heavy skeleton monster set. 21k hp after food, 20k phys, 16k spell res. My gear is off traited because I'm not sure what trait to run. Survival wise I have empowered ward which basically only eats a single attack and turn undead. Rest of the slots are healing, purge, buffs/debuffs and a spammable aoe. I was not having trouble surviving in heavy but the sustain in light is great and I dont want to switch back.
Sorc dps / DK tank / Templar healer - Xbox NA - Black Marsh Legion - cp 270
  • wheem_ESO
    wheem_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You'll want the Impenetrable trait on all armor, along with Protective on jewelry. Beyond that, you'll need to rely on abilities, positioning, line of sight, etc...to stay alive. And keep in mind that you're almost 600 CP below the cap, so if you're in Vivec that's going to be a pretty significant disadvantage.
    Options
  • Iskiab
    Iskiab
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Light armour master, 2x protective traits, all impenetrable traits on your armour. That’s the standard sorc setup these days.

For pvp magicka classes need 5x light for the pen and sustain, you basicly start with 5x light and boost your resistances to heavy armour level.

Don’t play CP pvp until you have about 700+ CPs, you’ll get wrecked.

I made that mistake at your CP level. I wanted to try cyrodiil so joined a CP campaign. I tried ganking someone fighting the bridge mobs going to the city for some weird reason. He basicly ignored me, took no damage, and once he was done blew me up in one GCD.
    Edited by Iskiab on March 29, 2019 5:07PM
    Looking for any guildies I used to play with:
    Havoc Warhammer - Alair
    LoC EQ2 - Mayi and Iskiab
    Condemned and Tabula Rasa - Rift - Iskiab
    Or anyone else I used to play games with in guilds I’ve forgotten
    Options
  • MalagenR
    MalagenR
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You don't need to be max CP to PVP in the CP campaign. 300-400 is enough to kill 810's. Better to start then and learn too. You'll lose a lot but it will pay off later.
    Options
  • Beardimus
    Beardimus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Running Impen?
    Hardened ward if one ward
    Boundless Storm slotted?
    Other mitigation like dodge rolling / LOS?
    Of you feel you need more resistances can transmite your jewelry
    Xbox One | EU | EP
    Beardimus : VR16 Dunmer MagSorc [RIP MagDW 2015-2018]
    Emperor of Sotha Sil 02-2018 & Sheogorath 05-2019
    1st Emperor of Ravenwatch
    Alts - - for the Lolz
    Archimus : Bosmer Thief / Archer / Werewolf
    Orcimus : Fat drunk Orc battlefield 1st aider
    Scalimus - Argonian Sorc Healer / Pet master

Fighting small scale with : The SAXON Guild
    Fighting with [PvP] : The Undaunted Wolves
    Trading Guilds : TradersOfNirn | FourSquareTraders

Xbox One | NA | EP
    Bëardimus : L43 Dunmer Magsorc / BG
    Heals-With-Pets : VR16 Argonian Sorc PvP / BG Healer
    Nordimus : VR16 Stamsorc
    Beardimus le 13iem : L30 Dunmer Magsorc Icereach
    Options
  • Gretzel
    Gretzel
    ✭✭✭
    MalagenR wrote: »
    You don't need to be max CP to PVP in the CP campaign. 300-400 is enough to kill 810's. Better to start then and learn too. You'll lose a lot but it will pay off later.

I've been running in Vivec since cp 1. I switched back to heavy anyhow.
    Edited by Gretzel on March 29, 2019 8:39PM
    Options
  • geonsocal
    geonsocal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    you could try 5 light with a heavy "defensive" monster set...I've used troll king, earthgore and mighty chudan to help my light armor wearing characters stay alive...

I had tried impregnable and fortified brass, but, I'd rather have my two five set bonuses geared towards either offense, or, for a healing focus - healing oriented...
    PVP Campaigns Section: Playstation NA and EU (Gray Host) - This Must be the Place
    Options
  • HowlKimchi
    HowlKimchi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    IDK if you wanna heal in pvp you should be tanky. Heavy Armor is the best option for that. The passives make much more sense. You won't be using the penetration passive as a healer anyway.

You could just get sustain from somewhere else aside from armor passives.
    previously @HaruKamui but I outgrew my weeb phase (probably)

PC/NA - EP - Howl Bragi/Howl Kimchi
    Options
  • Iskiab
    Iskiab
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Issue with heavy I found was no snare reduction. I don’t have a sorc so don’t know if snares are an issue for them. Crit helps for healing too.
    Havoc Warhammer - Alair
    Options
  • HowlKimchi
    HowlKimchi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Iskiab wrote: »
    Issue with heavy I found was no snare reduction. I don’t have a sorc so don’t know if snares are an issue for them. Crit helps for healing too.

Really? for me, snare reduction is barely noticeable. Plus, sorcs have streak.
    previously @HaruKamui but I outgrew my weeb phase (probably)

PC/NA - EP - Howl Bragi/Howl Kimchi
    Options
  • ThanatosXR
    ThanatosXR
    ✭✭✭
    Options
  • Iskiab
    Iskiab
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    HaruKamui wrote: »

Really? for me, snare reduction is barely noticeable. Plus, sorcs have streak.

I’ve found it is. When trying to escape from people when you’re fully defensive every little speed boost can help.

It’s subtle, but even while heavily snared a little bit of extra speed boost with a short term expedition buff has gotten me out of melee range in light and I noticed it didn’t in heavy. All you have to do is get a little out of melee range for someone not to be able to use a melee attack on you.
    Edited by Iskiab on March 30, 2019 12:07PM
    Havoc Warhammer - Alair
    Options
  • Betty_Booms
    Betty_Booms
    ✭✭✭
    IDK if you wanna heal in pvp you should be tanky. Heavy Armor is the best option for that. The passives make much more sense. You won't be using the penetration passive as a healer anyway.

This....
    Resto staff heavy attacks for sustain and major mending...in heavy armour is plenty of resource return and buffs your heals considerabley.

Run ice or shock staff with blockade for support. A nice setup is transmutation front bar and black rose resto back bar.

Heavy shacklebreaker with full impen is a solid armour choice.

Earthgore, bloodspawn, pirate skeleton are good options for monster set.
    Options
  • Gretzel
    Gretzel
    ✭✭✭

Yeah, thats what I went to. I use heavy attacks and pots for sustain.
    Options
  • Anyron
    Anyron
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can play pvp as magicka healer sorcerer with light armor and be ok

Make all your armor impenetrable
    Use 2/2 mighty chudan or 1/2 chudan+1/2 pirate skeleton + boundless storm

With this you can have 20k armor and spell resist even in no-Cp. Use hardened ward

Edited by Anyron on April 4, 2019 12:48AM
    Options
  • ToRelax
    ToRelax
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    You can just use a regular twilight only sorc build and slot some extra support skills if you want to be a healer. No need for heavy or anything.
    But seriously, don't play in CP. You won't be able to compete against anyone who actually knows what they're doing, so you won't learn as well while dieing more.
    DAGON - ALTADOON - CHIM - GHARTOK
    The Covenant is broken. The Enemy has won...

Elo'dryel - Sorc - AR 50 - Hopesfire - EP EU
    Options
  • Iskiab
    Iskiab
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Yea, I started pvp healing wearing 5x heavy fortified brass so I had enough survivability to learn.

Once I started figuring out what I was doing I switched to light and prefer it. Sustain and output are so much better, light armour passives are too good. Plus you’ll want to do some damage to help apply pressure and get better scores. Heavy passives are good but light is better, wearing light with high resistances is better than heavy.

I don’t have a sorc, but am tempted to make one. I was thinking 5x light, armour master, 2x protective traits, use harness magicka for another shield. Streak if you’re in trouble. I main a magblade but cloak has a lot of hard counters, streak looks like better pvp defense to me.
    Edited by Iskiab on April 4, 2019 11:41AM
    Havoc Warhammer - Alair
    Options
  • Emma_Overload
    Emma_Overload
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Buffer of the Swift and Impregnable are both great 5 pc defensive sets for sorcs.

You can also use 1 pc Mighty Chudan and 1 pc Pirate Skeleton as your monster set.

As others have said, protective trait is really good, too.
    #CAREBEARMASTERRACE
    Options
  • armeegrun
    armeegrun
    ✭✭
    I'm running Necro and Spiners on mine, hardened ward as well, anulment, destro front resto back, she stays alive pretty well for me. It's all light armor, part of it is understanding when to disengage and get out the way...lol

However, reading about a heavy armor sorc build now has me interested?
    Options
  • Gretzel
    Gretzel
    ✭✭✭
    ToRelax wrote: »
    You can just use a regular twilight only sorc build and slot some extra support skills if you want to be a healer. No need for heavy or anything.
    But seriously, don't play in CP. You won't be able to compete against anyone who actually knows what they're doing, so you won't learn as well while dieing more.

I disagree. Every time I go in there I find my survivability and effectiveness getting better and better. I don't die nearly as often and can even survive for a bit with multiple 810s on me. I learn fast and I prefer the trial by fire.
    Options
  • Gretzel
    Gretzel
    ✭✭✭
    Yea, I started pvp healing wearing 5x heavy fortified brass so I had enough survivability to learn.

Once I started figuring out what I was doing I switched to light and prefer it. Sustain and output are so much better, light armour passives are too good. Plus you’ll want to do some damage to help apply pressure and get better scores. Heavy passives are good but light is better, wearing light with high resistances is better than heavy.

I don’t have a sorc, but am tempted to make one. I was thinking 5x light, armour master, 2x protective traits, use harness magicka for another shield. Streak if you’re in trouble. I main a magblade but cloak has a lot of hard counters, streak looks like better pvp defense to me.

If I had the resources I'd try this but I'm struggling to find anyone to craft me the gear for this despite being in several big guilds. If I had a full set of light with good traits I'd try this but Ive been playing for only a month and nowhere near this sort of gear cap. Dont even have a single golden yet. In heavy it feels 10x better because I just die near instantly in light, regardless of what I slot. Don't have access to the gear to pull off light armour yet. Sorc is a pretty awesome class though. I've tried every class (except warden) and like them all, except nightblade. The damage output is great but I don't like the feel of the class. DK is a close second to sorc.
    Edited by Gretzel on April 5, 2019 2:26PM
    Options
  • AmoralOne
    AmoralOne
    ✭✭✭✭
    (EDIT) Just realized you are a magsorc healer. please disregard this comment

Im not sure why you would be having sustain issues in heavy gear? my main is an Argonian Heavy Armor wearing Templar.

I am CP 600 some iv been using this set up since the start tried the other healing sets and sustain sets but this setup is perfect for your survivability and sustain. if you die your group dies.

I have survived many many ganks with this set up, 10 people jumping me and i can live through it and get away. obviously you will not be tanking the world because thats just not how it works but this does give you the chance to get closer to your group so they can start killing.
    _______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
    5x Kagrenac's Hope - 1 light waist 1 med gauntlets 3 heavy legs, chest, feet
    5x Wizards Riposte - Sword and Board, and Jewelry (Back Bar Resto Staff)
    2x Troll King - Heavy both

I run skills as such.
    (Front Bar) S&B
    Breath of Life, Mist Form, Execute (This Ability could also be Meditate) Channel Focus, and Extended Ritual - Resto ULT

(Back Bar) Resto
    Vampire Bane, Entropy, Combat Prayer, Healing Springs, Mutagen/Rapid Regn (either one works) - Templar Heal ULT
    _______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
    I play in both Viv and No CP no CP this set up is a tad difficult if you are new to how the game works.
    Edited by AmoralOne on April 5, 2019 2:43PM
    PC NA - EP's Greatest Support
    Options
  • Gretzel
    Gretzel
    ✭✭✭
    (EDIT) Just realized you are a magsorc healer. please disregard this comment

Im not sure why you would be having sustain issues in heavy gear? my main is an Argonian Heavy Armor wearing Templar.

I am CP 600 some iv been using this set up since the start tried the other healing sets and sustain sets but this setup is perfect for your survivability and sustain. if you die your group dies.

I have survived many many ganks with this set up, 10 people jumping me and i can live through it and get away. obviously you will not be tanking the world because thats just not how it works but this does give you the chance to get closer to your group so they can start killing.
    5x Kagrenac's Hope - 1 light waist 1 med gauntlets 3 heavy legs, chest, feet
    5x Wizards Riposte - Sword and Board, and Jewelry (Back Bar Resto Staff)
    2x Troll King - Heavy both

I run skills as such.
    (Front Bar) S&B
    Breath of Life, Mist Form, Execute (This Ability could also be Meditate) Channel Focus, and Extended Ritual - Resto ULT

(Back Bar) Resto
    Vampire Bane, Entropy, Combat Prayer, Healing Springs, Mutagen/Rapid Regn (either one works) - Templar Heal ULT
    I play in both Viv and No CP no CP this set up is a tad difficult if you are new to how the game works.

Yeah, cp 257 magsorc healer in far from optimal gear until I get that gearset soon. I dont have big problems with sustain, I use food, pots and heavy attacks for it so there are moments where I am out of magicka but they tend to be brief. Now, when I do bgs I slot more damage pressure but in cyrodiil I have to slot more group support. I'm certainly not trivial to kill and as a brand new player that's at least a good start.
    Edited by Gretzel on April 5, 2019 5:30PM
    Options
  • Stibbons
    Stibbons
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Swift, protective, race: Nord and some protective monster set. Sure your dps will be extremely low, you won´t kill any competive stamina player,... You can enjoy of being healbot or buffer.
    Options
  • Gretzel
    Gretzel
    ✭✭✭
    Stibbons wrote: »
    Swift, protective, race: Nord and some protective monster set. Sure your dps will be extremely low, you won´t kill any competive stamina player,... You can enjoy of being healbot or buffer.

No thanks, I like having some damage pressure and killing.
    Options
  • exeeter702
    exeeter702
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Gretzel wrote: »

oIhhF9O.gif
    Edited by exeeter702 on April 7, 2019 4:37PM
    Options
  • Reevster
    Reevster
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, you could get really crazy and build this.

mi1VWhS.png

F0WHIM0.png

jyXCI7r.png

leeZXAr.png

3KWXSqd.png

Options
  • Gretzel
    Gretzel
    ✭✭✭
    Reevster wrote: »
    Well, you could get really crazy and build this.

mi1VWhS.png

F0WHIM0.png

jyXCI7r.png

leeZXAr.png

3KWXSqd.png

That looks snazzy.
    Options
  • Zander98
    Zander98
    ✭✭✭
    *Hist sap <cough>********
    Zane Altise- The Drunken Sorc

"The truth may be out there, but the lies are inside your head"-Pratchett
    Options
  • Taleof2Cities
    Taleof2Cities
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

That playstyle is fine, @Gretzel ... but you're not really a "healer" are you? As the title of the thread implies?

The role is probably better described as off-heals or support ... where you're mixing in DPS while healing the group.

It would be interesting to see how much healing output you're actually doing. Since most of your skill slots are defense, support, or dps. For example, what's your unbuffed healing springs tooltip?
    Options
  • Iskiab
    Iskiab
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

That playstyle is fine, @Gretzel ... but you're not really a "healer" are you? As the title of the thread implies?

The role is probably better described as off-heals or support ... where you're mixing in DPS while healing the group.

It would be interesting to see how much healing output you're actually doing. Since most of your skill slots are defense, support, or dps. For example, what's your unbuffed healing springs tooltip?

Healing springs isn’t a good healing ability to use in multiple pvp settings. Healing springs is mostly a cyrodiil ball group ability.

In places like BGs going full healer can be good but your score will suck. It’s also terrible if there’s another full healer in the group.

To heal well in BGs you don’t need to load up on all healing abilities. All you need to do is use the best ones suited to the environment, max your passives, and use the utility abilities to stay alive. After that add damage.

I can’t say for magsorc dps/healing builds, but for other classes about 1.5 million healing is my high while doing damage too. Sorcs make good pvp healers so imagine it’s about the same, I don’t have one and am debating it so looked at the thread. Doing both damage and healing it’s also possible to break 1 million damage and healing in the same BG.
    Edited by Iskiab on April 10, 2019 2:41PM
    Havoc Warhammer - Alair
    Options