The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Pet Targeting

Bashev
Bashev
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭
Currently the targeting system is really bad and this can be really exposed in the BGs.
ZoS please make all pets targetable only when they are exclusively tab targeted. Otherwise they should have the least priority.
Maybe only the Sorc and Necro ulties could be targetable and used for LoS as they are ulties and should be strong.

@ZOS_BrianWheeler, @ZOS_RichLambert , @ZOS_RobGarrett , @ZOS_Gilliam
Because I can!
  • Aurielle
    Aurielle
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Agreed. Wasting ultimates on pets is getting REALLY old. Also, any sorcs who feel the need to chime in about how “underpowered” we are without pets after the shield nerfs, please learn how to build your sorc and stop plaguing BGs with your cancer. I don’t play with ANY pets (except for the storm atro on occasion, if the team has a healer), and I always have a positive KD ratio.
  • Priyasekarssk
    Priyasekarssk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bashev wrote: »
    Currently the targeting system is really bad and this can be really exposed in the BGs.
    ZoS please make all pets targetable only when they are exclusively tab targeted. Otherwise they should have the least priority.
    Maybe only the Sorc and Necro ulties could be targetable and used for LoS as they are ulties and should be strong.

Lets discuss about abusing targeting system by high movement speeds too. Especially stam sorcs and NBs are just exploiting the movement speed mechanics of the game. Single target abilities not even enabled right in front of cross hair just because running around in high speed and CC never Go off. Forget tab targeting. I dont see any issue in tab targeting so far.

Lets discuss Free damage mitigation without blocking by running around . So this exploitation is acceptable way of playing and
    no way by others to counter it .

I have seen only pet sorcs create annoyance and most have only 1 pets and no one ever did a 1vX full pet builds in PVP . Why such hypocrisy ? Do noobs needs potatoes and exploits to win the game who doesnt know how to target or never learn it ? :D:D Why werewolf pets are excluded intentionally ? :D

Edited by Priyasekarssk on March 30, 2019 4:38AM
  • Didgerion
    Didgerion
    ✭✭✭✭✭

IDK,

But what about LoS obstacles that stamina players permanently use to get out of sight and waiting for their ulti to build up?
    How that does fit in your adjustment?

• Bashev
    Bashev
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Lets discuss about abusing targeting system by high movement speeds too. Especially stam sorcs and NBs are just exploiting the movement speed mechanics of the game. Single target abilities not even enabled right in front of cross hair just because running around in high speed and CC never Go off. Forget tab targeting. I dont see any issue in tab targeting so far.

Lets discuss Free damage mitigation without blocking by running around . So this exploitation is acceptable way of playing and

I have seen only pet sorcs create annoyance and most have only 1 pets and no one ever did a 1vX full pet builds in PVP . Why such hypocrisy ? Do noobs needs potatoes and exploits to win the game who doesnt know how to target or never learn it ? :D:D Why werewolf pets are excluded intentionally ? :D
    WW pets are not excluded by my proposal. Speed meta is long gone.

Ppl who hide behind the rock they cannot hit you while you hiding behind the pet you can hit them, that is the difference.
    Because I can!
  • Kadoin
    Kadoin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    It's not just pets, targeting is terrible in Wrathstone. You sometimes can't revive allies near dead players in PvP and dead enemies in PvE. Staff targeting is the worse offender IMO, with resto and lightning targeting still being the worst.
  • Icarus42
    Icarus42
    ✭✭✭
    Pet sorc= winning
    Ebonheart Pact - PC NA - Magicka Sorcerer
  • Aurielle
    Aurielle
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Play BGs sometime. Pet sorc/WW builds are rampant, and because BGs are such small spaces, they’re more than an “annoyance.” Pet builds force you to unintentionally waste ultimates and waste precious resources. Resource management is huge in no CP PVP, and it is INFURIATING to target a player, only to have a zoo get in your way.

https://youtu.be/x880J15Y6BY
  • Koensol
    Koensol
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

LMFAO. Still suffering from the same victim syndrome are we? Petsorc is blatantly broken. Apart from the targetting, I am getting hit by 5k + pulses from the pets, 5k + lightning heavy attacks, and more unavoidable crap. All of that on a 24k resist character. Its broken. Period.
    Stop trying to play victim for once.
    Edited by Koensol on March 30, 2019 6:33PM
  • Digiman
    Digiman
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    And so it begins.... ZoS buffed pets and now people a screaming they want to fight the player and not the pets and want them broken again. lol
  • Bashev
    Bashev
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Digiman wrote: »
    And so it begins.... ZoS buffed pets and now people a screaming they want to fight the player and not the pets and want them broken again. lol

And how I want them broken? I just want not to target them unless I specifically chose to do it.
    Because I can!
  • Alucardo
    Alucardo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Didgerion wrote: »

IDK,

But what about LoS obstacles that stamina players permanently use to get out of sight and waiting for their ulti to build up?

Nerf trees
  • Aurielle
    Aurielle
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

IDK,

@Didgerion

The difference between using environmental LOS and pet LOS is that I can’t unintentionally use a single target ultimate or skill on a tree. Pet builds force you to waste resources and ultimates.
  • Lord-Otto
    Lord-Otto
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Aurielle wrote: »

IDK,

@Didgerion

The difference between using environmental LOS and pet LOS is that I can’t unintentionally use a single target ultimate or skill on a tree. Pet builds force you to waste resources and ultimates.

You don't WASTE them. You can and should kill the pet. You can't kill a tree.
  • Ragnaroek93
    Ragnaroek93
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I don't have problems with the targetting to be honest, the problem is that the Twilight is just insanely overtuned.
    I used to think that PvP was a tragedy, but now I realize, it's a comedy.
  • Aurielle
    Aurielle
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lord-Otto wrote: »

IDK,

@Didgerion

Riiiight. When I’m in a deathmatch BG — where points are only granted for killing players — I should go ahead and kill the up to sixteen pets cluttering my screen at any given time while the four players controlling said pets lazily spam CC, heavy attacks, and executes behind their meat shield.

Edit: Also, you can’t kill a tree, but you CAN move away from the tree and force the other player to engage you in the open. They can’t drag that tree along with them. If you’re getting owned by environmental LOSers or tower farmers, you only have yourself to blame.
    Edited by Aurielle on March 31, 2019 12:59PM
  • LordTareq
    LordTareq
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Even the most incompetent pet sorcerer will be able to kill an opponent who foolishly goes off to kill the pets first.

Honestly I’m fine with the pets doing significant damage if the sorc invests in that, the problem is the wonky targetting and the seeker missile behavior of pets that somehow follow you through cloak/stealth across the map. Just today I had an imp jump in front of my soul assault costing me the kill, extremely annoying.
  • Lord-Otto
    Lord-Otto
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

IDK,

@Didgerion

Riiiight. When I’m in a deathmatch BG — where points are only granted for killing players — I should go ahead and kill the up to sixteen pets cluttering my screen at any given time while the four players controlling said pets lazily spam CC, heavy attacks, and executes behind their meat shield.

Edit: Also, you can’t kill a tree, but you CAN move away from the tree and force the other player to engage you in the open. They can’t drag that tree along with them. If you’re getting owned by environmental LOSers or tower farmers, you only have yourself to blame.

I hear you. It's annoying. And it has annoyed me for years that whenever I look at a melee player, I have to run around trees, towers and rocks for hours. Negating my ranged advantage. And then take the frontloaded burst, while I can't setup my backloaded one. Sure, I can walk away from the tree. And ignore the following camp, reses or whatever that player will inevitably do to hinder my faction.
    I'm actually with you that LOS is annoying. But I find it satisfying to see "us" apply that logic to "you" and watch how you deal with it. Grim satisfaction for every Frag that has refused to fire because reasons. *shrugs*

To be clear, make pets untargettable when you also allow ranged attacks to hit people when they're in sight. And range, of course. Fair is fair, aye?
    Edited by Lord-Otto on March 31, 2019 10:42PM
  • Aurielle
    Aurielle
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

IDK,

@Didgerion

I hear you. It's annoying. And it has annoyed me for years that whenever I look at a melee player, I have to run around trees, towers and rocks for hours. Negating my ranged advantage. And then take the frontloaded burst, while I can't setup my backloaded one. Sure, I can walk away from the tree. And ignore the following camp, reses or whatever that player will inevitably do to hinder my faction.
    I'm actually with you that LOS is annoying. But I find it satisfying to see "us" apply that logic to "you" and watch how you deal with it. Grim satisfaction for every Frag that has refused to fire because reasons. *shrugs*

To be clear, make pets untargettable when you also allow ranged attacks to hit people when they're in sight. And range, of course. Fair is fair, aye?

You’re speaking to me as though I main a stam melee character. I main a mag sorc...
  • Lord-Otto
    Lord-Otto
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

IDK,

@Didgerion

You’re speaking to me as though I main a stam melee character. I main a mag sorc...

Hmhm, fair enough. Some ranged players also know how to abuse LOS issues, but I found that to be less annoying.
    Anyways, I enjoy reading people complain about LOS issues with pets. Targetting is bollocks in this game, especially on console, and I'm glad to see more and more people suffering from it. Maybe something gets fixed now. Although I am afraid ZOS will simply nerf pets into the ground.
  • Gilvoth
    Gilvoth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    right now if you target a sorcerer with pets he cannot be hit because the pets completely block him and you cant hit him.
    by this i only referring to if they have 2 or more pets out.
    makes him able to damage us but we cannot damage the sorc at all.
  • jcm2606
    jcm2606
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

IDK,

@Didgerion

So, if I understand right, I should ignore the owner, and attempt to kill the pets that Zenimax has repeatedly buffed leading up to necro? Nonsense.

@Aurielle is completely right. Even if pets were able to be killed in a reasonable amount of time, @Aurielle is still completely right. As targeting currently stands, I can be focusing completely on the owner, and yet a pet walks across the screen at an inopportune moment, stealing not only my skills, but my valuable ultimate that I've saved specifically for the owner.
  • Dartricz
    Dartricz
    ✭✭

IDK,

LoS is a tactic and it's not only stamina characters that can do it, I do it on my mag dk all the time. Hitting a pet accidentally because of the targeting system is frustrating because it's not your fault it's the game
  • ecru
    ecru
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Sorc ult (atronarch) being targeted is a problem, not a solution. There are a lot of sorcs who put down their atronarch and then run around/through it, using the soft targeting system to their advantage to prevent taking damage.
    Gryphon Heart
    Godslayer
    Dawnbringer
  • Lord-Otto
    Lord-Otto
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    jcm2606 wrote: »

IDK,

@Didgerion

So, if I understand right, I should ignore the owner, and attempt to kill the pets that Zenimax has repeatedly buffed leading up to necro? Nonsense.

@Aurielle is completely right. Even if pets were able to be killed in a reasonable amount of time, @Aurielle is still completely right. As targeting currently stands, I can be focusing completely on the owner, and yet a pet walks across the screen at an inopportune moment, stealing not only my skills, but my valuable ultimate that I've saved specifically for the owner.

I was referring to the ultimate not just poofing into thin air, but actually killing the pet. Therefore not simply wasting it. Dropping a meteor on an Engine Guardian, THAT is a waste.
    But of course, you should be able to hit the sorc behind pets. I should be able to hit that player in front of me with a Frag, too. Target system could use quite some work in this game.
  • jcm2606
    jcm2606
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    jcm2606 wrote: »

IDK,

@Didgerion

I was referring to the ultimate not just poofing into thin air, but actually killing the pet. Therefore not simply wasting it. Dropping a meteor on an Engine Guardian, THAT is a waste.
    But of course, you should be able to hit the sorc behind pets. I should be able to hit that player in front of me with a Frag, too. Target system could use quite some work in this game.

The point I was trying to get at is, even though the pet died, it's still a waste. The ultimate was not intended for the pet, it was never intended for the pet.

Consider that I'm a magDK relying on Leap as part of my burst combo, or maybe a brawler stamblade relying on Incap as some burst and a huge damage boost for the rest of my combo. I've been saving my ultimate for the opportune moment, so that I can definitely kill this petsorc, I go to use my ultimate, but then one of their pets walk across the screen, and I accidentally use my ultimate on them. Yes, the pet died, but it was not intended for the pet, it was never intended for the pet. It was intended for the owner, I was specifically saving it for the owner. How is this not a waste?

Take it a step further, the pet didn't walk across the screen, instead it sat just to the side of my character. I try to use my ultimate on the owner directly in front of me, instead my ultimate hits the pet. The pet wasn't even walking in front of me, it was just sitting to the side of me, and yet it stole my ultimate. How is this not a waste?

A step even further, I'm not even fighting the owner, I'm fighting another guy, and the petsorc is either fighting me or somebody else. The pet is just sitting there, not attacking me. I try to use my ultimate on the guy I'm actually fighting, instead it hits the pet. How is this not a waste?

Yet another step further, I have the same guy I was fighting just earlier tab targeted, to ensure my attacks hit the guy and nobody else (or, as is the intention). I'm fighting the guy, got him targeted, I use my ultimate, it hits a random pet walking by. How is this not a waste?

All 4 of these examples are real. All 4 of these examples have happened to me. All 4 of these examples have happened to other people. This is why pet targeting needs to be disabled in some way. It breaks the targeting system, forcing others to waste their resources and ultimates on pets they never intended on fighting, because it's just more effective to kill the owner, in every circumstance.
  • Lord-Otto
    Lord-Otto
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Sure. I don't disagree. I know the feeling. As I said, Frag not hitting targets in plain sight is another issue. Having my combo wasted, maybe even the killing blow, thanks to the game refusing to work. Are pets worse than that? Yeah. But I'd like to see both fixed, that's my point. But I know targeting won't get fixed. Maybe pets, but then with a nerf hammer.
  • brandonv516
    brandonv516
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    It's why I play my healer more than my damage. I don't need to worry about my heals not going where they belong.
  • Lord-Otto
    Lord-Otto
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    It's why I play my healer more than my damage. I don't need to worry about my heals not going where they belong.

Aren't pets stealing heals anymore? Used to be a problem, don't know if it still is...
  • Minyassa
    Minyassa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Isn't the whole point of playing a pets build to have the pets run interference between you and mobs? If other players are the mobs, same thing. That's the point. Sounds like it is working as intended. Imagine how dungeon bosses feel. xD
  • Emma_Overload
    Emma_Overload
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sure. Make them untargetable AND unkillable!
    #CAREBEARMASTERRACE