The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

when is the next patch (magblade rly needs a helping hand)

Noctus
Noctus
✭✭✭✭✭
any information on when there will be a new balancing patch. rly sickens me that stamblade doesnt have the disadvantages and is pretty much better in anything compared to magblade. we dont have that big of a burst and our dmg is easily mitigated by swordboard and especialy those annoying dk reflects. there is rly no point playing magblade in pvp currently. i feel tempted to just focus on my dk or stamsorc even tho i rly love my main.
  • NinchiTV
    NinchiTV
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thats how i feel about magsorc, so i made a stamsorc and im really enjoying it. And stam counterparts are just so much easier to play in pvp (i solo for the most part) then trying to solo with my magsorc. I think we have to wait until june then we'll see whats coming.
  • Brrrofski
    Brrrofski
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thats how i feel about magsorc, so i made a stamsorc and im really enjoying it. And stam counterparts are just so much easier to play in pvp (i solo for the most part) then trying to solo with my magsorc. I think we have to wait until june then we'll see whats coming.

Dude, a properly built magsorc is a god.

It is nowhere near the same place as magblade.
  • Knootewoot
    Knootewoot
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Magblade is fine. Being a niche class and weak makes us special. So few around makes me feel special. My guess is cloak will be takes care of after Elsewyr lands and we will be almost extinct anyway.
    ٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶
    "I am a nightblade. Blending the disciplines of the stealthy agent and subtle wizard, I move unseen and undetected, foil locks and traps, and teleport to safety when threatened, or strike like a viper from ambush. The College of Illusion hides me and fuddles or pacifies my opponents. The College of Mysticism detects my object, reflects and dispels enemy spells, and makes good my escape. The key to a nightblade's success is avoidance, by spell or by stealth; with these skills, all things are possible."
  • MaxJrFTW
    MaxJrFTW
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

l2p issue, magsorcs are almost broken right now.
    "I don't know you, and I don't care to know you."
    ―Ulrich Leland, 3E 433
  • Alucardo
    Alucardo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dusted off my magblade recently and came up with a decent no-cloak build. I was actually really happy with how it performs, BUT I do wish some of their costs were adjusted.
    Even as a Breton in 5 light swallow soul costs 2.2k. With the negligible heal, average damage and how clunky it is to weave with a fire staff I feel like it's just too much. Maybe knocking 200-300 off the cost might make it a little better.
    I wouldn't mind dark cloak (NOT the invisibility morph) having this treatment as well. On most normal builds this will provide a very weak vigor heal at best (with 29k health). If you're bulky enough to have it ticking high, then you're obviously a tank and not able to do much else anyway. I'm not saying halve the cost or anything crazy like that, but just 200-300 off like swallow would be fine.
    Other than some of the costs, I feel like they are in a pretty good spot in all honesty. It does take a little more skill to play effectively than other classes though, which is most likely why people confuse magblade for being weak.
  • Knootewoot
    Knootewoot
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Alucardo wrote: »
    Dusted off my magblade recently and came up with a decent no-cloak build. I was actually really happy with how it performs, BUT I do wish some of their costs were adjusted.
    Even as a Breton in 5 light swallow soul costs 2.2k. With the negligible heal, average damage and how clunky it is to weave with a fire staff I feel like it's just too much. Maybe knocking 200-300 off the cost might make it a little better.
    I wouldn't mind dark cloak (NOT the invisibility morph) having this treatment as well. On most normal builds this will provide a very weak vigor heal at best (with 29k health). If you're bulky enough to have it ticking high, then you're obviously a tank and not able to do much else anyway. I'm not saying halve the cost or anything crazy like that, but just 200-300 off like swallow would be fine.
    Other than some of the costs, I feel like they are in a pretty good spot in all honesty. It does take a little more skill to play effectively than other classes though, which is most likely why people confuse magblade for being weak.

Magblade works but not without cloak if in light armor. Heals are bad, defence is bad, damage is mediocre compared to stamblades.
    Yeah i got it working and get my kills. But without cloak im done for. It also doesn't help im a vampire though with all the dawnbreakers flying around.

We all know you hate nightblades and cloak. Saying the class works well without cloak is just war mongering and bad propoganda. :*

٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶
    "I am a nightblade. Blending the disciplines of the stealthy agent and subtle wizard, I move unseen and undetected, foil locks and traps, and teleport to safety when threatened, or strike like a viper from ambush. The College of Illusion hides me and fuddles or pacifies my opponents. The College of Mysticism detects my object, reflects and dispels enemy spells, and makes good my escape. The key to a nightblade's success is avoidance, by spell or by stealth; with these skills, all things are possible."
  • Nerftheforums
    Nerftheforums
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Noctus wrote: »
    any information on when there will be a new balancing patch. rly sickens me that stamblade doesnt have the disadvantages and is pretty much better in anything compared to magblade. we dont have that big of a burst and our dmg is easily mitigated by swordboard and especialy those annoying dk reflects. there is rly no point playing magblade in pvp currently. i feel tempted to just focus on my dk or stamsorc even tho i rly love my main.

Why does it sickens you? You should want magblade to be strong as stamnb, not the other way round (granted that you actually care about magnb).

This is a nerf stamnb post in disguise trollface
    Edited by Nerftheforums on March 22, 2019 11:08AM
  • Iskiab
    Iskiab
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Knootewoot wrote: »
    Magblade is fine. Being a niche class and weak makes us special. So few around makes me feel special. My guess is cloak will be takes care of after Elsewyr lands and we will be almost extinct anyway.

If that were true it’d be okay. Magblades are decent in pve so I still see lots around, it’s an issue if they’re on your team.
    Looking for any guildies I used to play with:
    Havoc Warhammer - Alair
    LoC EQ2 - Mayi and Iskiab
    Condemned and Tabula Rasa - Rift - Iskiab
    Or anyone else I used to play games with in guilds I’ve forgotten
  • MannKurt
    MannKurt
    ✭✭
    Fighting magblade is always big pleasure. At least you know that he/she uses brain to kill you.
  • HowlKimchi
    HowlKimchi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just persevere fellow magblades! Buffs will come (hopefully soon). There's still fun to be had in the meantime!
    previously @HaruKamui but I outgrew my weeb phase (probably)

PC/NA - EP - Howl Bragi/Howl Kimchi
  • Iskiab
    Iskiab
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    HaruKamui wrote: »
    Just persevere fellow magblades! Buffs will come (hopefully soon). There's still fun to be had in the meantime!

Are you sure? Magblades were just nerfed. When was the last time you saw anyone in management or a dev say they made a mistake and change something back.

Changing something back unravels the perception of making progress. It ruins the narrative. I think it makes more sense to reroll myself, the focus will be on necros for a while.

I’d suggest someone use the 100 percent xp bonus event and try something else. You carry your CPs with you and you can transfer your gear.
    Edited by Iskiab on March 22, 2019 7:57PM
    Havoc Warhammer - Alair
  • TheRegHD
    TheRegHD
    ✭✭
    Magblade and magsorc are both specs that require a sufficient amount of skill to play, and are not necessarily underpowered.

That being said, it gets heavily outperformed by much simpler builds because few have the patience to master magblade and/or magsorc.

Builds that allows you to spam Snipe and Surprise Attack on Nightblade are builds that deal an overwhelming amount of damage, which completely forces magblades and magsorcs on the back foot. I would like to see cheesy builds like that nerfed, but do not believe magblade and magsorc should necessarily be buffed to counter them that way.

Another thing that steralises BGs for me lately, is the people with their shield up 24/7 spamming whatever healing ability in their arsenal and tanking damage from multiple sources with ease, but that's a sidenote...
  • Alucardo
    Alucardo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Alucardo wrote: »

We all know you hate nightblades and cloak. Saying the class works well without cloak is just war mongering and bad propoganda. :*
    Lol you got me there. Truth be told I am doing okay with just dark cloak (heal morph), but I'm using armor master and blood spawn as well. On a Breton that's like 30k resistances in light armor, probably more after BS procs.
    I do wish Dark Cloak was a little more powerful though, and cheaper. Would definitely make it a viable choice for any Nightblade. I can't blame them for rushing to the invisibility option as it stands.
  • Iskiab
    Iskiab
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    TheRegHD wrote: »
    Builds that allows you to spam Snipe and Surprise Attack on Nightblade are builds that deal an overwhelming amount of damage, which completely forces magblades and magsorcs on the back foot. I would like to see cheesy builds like that nerfed, but do not believe magblade and magsorc should necessarily be buffed to counter them that way.

Those are both abilities stamblades use, not magblades.
    Havoc Warhammer - Alair
  • HowlKimchi
    HowlKimchi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Iskiab wrote: »

Are you sure? Magblades were just nerfed. When was the last time you saw anyone in management or a dev say they made a mistake and change something back.

Changing something back unravels the perception of making progress. It ruins the narrative. I think it makes more sense to reroll myself, the focus will be on necros for a while.

I’d suggest someone use the 100 percent xp bonus event and try something else. You carry your CPs with you and you can transfer your gear.

Definitely gonna be making a necro for myself. Necros are my second favorite archetype after the trickster after all.

There have been cases where ZOS buffs a class than was nerfed in a previous patch. But in a different aspect. I never asked for them to change something back. I'm expecting that the magblade gets buffed in another aspect (in this case, snare removal pls).

If the patch drops and magblades dont get any love then... lol. I'll stick with my niche build and just avoid the hard counters entirely.

• Torbschka
    Torbschka
    ✭✭✭✭

Definitely gonna be making a necro for myself. Necros are my second favorite archetype after the trickster after all.

There have been cases where ZOS buffs a class than was nerfed in a previous patch. But in a different aspect. I never asked for them to change something back. I'm expecting that the magblade gets buffed in another aspect (in this case, snare removal pls).

If the patch drops and magblades dont get any love then... lol. I'll stick with my niche build and just avoid the hard counters entirely.

Whats ur niche build?

I dont even see how snare removal will solve all problems.
  • Iskiab
    Iskiab
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I think the way the game has developed they’ve put themselves in a corner:

Adjusted damage of classes so they’re close to each other

Result:
    Nerfed magblade sustain and tooltips.
    Now NB damage passives are just getting to the same place as everyone else using more skill points. Missing defensive passives

Now everyone’s running reflections. How do you fix that? If you make things non-reflectable then what’s the point of reflections in the first place (see sorcs and somewhat Templars with channels)

Class has been pushed into a spot where it needs a redesign.
    Edited by Iskiab on March 22, 2019 8:33PM
    Havoc Warhammer - Alair
  • HowlKimchi
    HowlKimchi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Torbschka wrote: »

Whats ur niche build?

Snare removal is a step in the right direction imo but it needs to be implemented in a way that it wont buff stamblades.

I'm using a high recovery build (magicka, health, and stam) using tri recovery drink, steed mundus for the health recov and additional movement, 3 protective jewelry, and 2 light armor damage sets along with troll king (all tri-stats). I can burst potatoes easily with the build because i don't entirely rely on spectral bow for burst; and still hold my own in longer fights (this is where a rely on the full burst to get the kill). Having 3500 health recovery and HoTs ticking is great for outnumbered because you dont always have to waste a gcd to heal. Creating space for yourself with cloak or shade or a dodge roll is enough to get a healthy recovery of all three stats, and this way I have more time to switch back to offense.

Of course, the build still has problems. I do zero damage to wings spammers so i largely ignore them; I'm not very tanky even with the 3 protective so awareness is key; when too many people are spamming snares on me and I dont have a shade up (or it doesn't work), it gets exponentially harder to get away.

The key is to not spam cloak to try and get away, and to always have the shade ready. The biggest downside though is that on my magblade I have to be very focused on the game. There's little room for error. It's my favorite playstyle but if i'm tired from work, i'd rather go on my magplar or magsorc because both are much easier playstyles.

• Iskiab
    Iskiab
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Whats ur niche build?

Snare removal is a step in the right direction imo but it needs to be implemented in a way that it wont buff stamblades.

I'm using a high recovery build (magicka, health, and stam) using tri recovery drink, steed mundus for the health recov and additional movement, 3 protective jewelry, and 2 light armor damage sets along with troll king (all tri-stats). I can burst potatoes easily with the build because i don't entirely rely on spectral bow for burst; and still hold my own in longer fights (this is where a rely on the full burst to get the kill). Having 3500 health recovery and HoTs ticking is great for outnumbered because you dont always have to waste a gcd to heal. Creating space for yourself with cloak or shade or a dodge roll is enough to get a healthy recovery of all three stats, and this way I have more time to switch back to offense.

Of course, the build still has problems. I do zero damage to wings spammers so i largely ignore them; I'm not very tanky even with the 3 protective so awareness is key; when too many people are spamming snares on me and I dont have a shade up (or it doesn't work), it gets exponentially harder to get away.

The key is to not spam cloak to try and get away, and to always have the shade ready. The biggest downside though is that on my magblade I have to be very focused on the game. There's little room for error. It's my favorite playstyle but if i'm tired from work, i'd rather go on my magplar or magsorc because both are much easier playstyles.

Sounds good but the problem these days is how popular reflection classes are. I built a spec that I was happy with too, but the feast or famine aspect bothered me. I used crushing so still fought all classes.

These days I’m noticing in my death matches whoever has the most damage NBs loses. I’ll see a group of 2 wardens, a DK and Templar, what would you do? Only attack the Templar? Good luck with the weird targeting system where your attacks go on the wrong target.

MagNB is definitely fun, don’t get me wrong, but I haven’t used my magblade for anything but healing for months. Cloak plus speed is fun, it’s the damage part which sucks.
    Edited by Iskiab on March 22, 2019 9:10PM
    Havoc Warhammer - Alair
  • HowlKimchi
    HowlKimchi
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Whats ur niche build?

Sounds good but the problem these days is how popular reflection classes are. I built a spec that I was happy with too, but the feast or famine aspect bothered me. I used crushing so still fought all classes.

These days I’m noticing in my death matches whoever has the most damage NBs loses. I’ll see a group of 2 wardens, a DK and Templar, what would you do? Only attack the Templar? Good luck with the weird targeting system where your attacks go on the wrong target.

MagNB is definitely fun, don’t get me wrong, but I haven’t used my magblade for anything but healing for months. Cloak plus speed is fun, it’s the damage part which sucks.

Yep, when im up against a lineup like that, i switch to healer after my first death easily using an outfitter add-on.

• thankyourat
    thankyourat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Really I think the class will be fine if they add in some snare removal and immunity and then speed up the projectile speed of the spectral bow. The class has to have someway to not have your movement hampered because the class doesn't have any sort of burst heal. Assassin's will is not threatening to any stamina class because of how slow the projectile speed is. There is no way to reliably make sure the ability lands. The problem is this ability is too important to magblade killing potential because the class doesn't have a way to make multiple abilities and in 1GCD like other classes so assassin's will is basically feast or famine at the moment but mostly famine.
  • Torbschka
    Torbschka
    ✭✭✭✭
    Really I think the class will be fine if they add in some snare removal and immunity and then speed up the projectile speed of the spectral bow. The class has to have someway to not have your movement hampered because the class doesn't have any sort of burst heal. Assassin's will is not threatening to any stamina class because of how slow the projectile speed is. There is no way to reliably make sure the ability lands. The problem is this ability is too important to magblade killing potential because the class doesn't have a way to make multiple abilities and in 1GCD like other classes so assassin's will is basically feast or famine at the moment but mostly famine.

May I ask ur build? Since I Just dont see how this would help my Personal build (5x shackle, 5x lich, 1x vSMA resto, 2x Monsterb- No CP melee Blade).

Its more, If I Attack I get Insta Soul assault by 5 people and thats IT lol.
  • thankyourat
    thankyourat
    ✭✭✭✭✭

May I ask ur build? Since I Just dont see how this would help my Personal build (5x shackle, 5x lich, 1x vSMA resto, 2x Monsterb- No CP melee Blade).

Its more, If I Attack I get Insta Soul assault by 5 people and thats IT lol.

This patch in running BTB/spinner/1 Domi/1 max mag with just a plain lich resto because I'm not using mutegen. I use whichmothers for the food and dark elf for the race. The snare removal should help all magblade builds not be locked in place which is a huge buff. The reason magblade is struggling right now is because it's too easy to lock down when outnumbered. Making it unenjoyable to play because the class isn't really designed to tank.

The merciless change goes without saying and should help all magblade builds even yours because the ability would be overall more reliable. Giving all builds much more reliable burst. Another buff that could help would be increasing the healing on swallow soul to 50%-55% up from 40%. with this being magblades main source of healing it would allow builds to be a tad more survivable.
  • Iskiab
    Iskiab
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I think what’s needed is a buff to concealed weapon. I’d try melee if I didn’t get blown up so fast.

Maybe make concealed like swallow soul where it adds a hot plus snare removal.

Reflections are fine if they’re meant to force people into melee and magblades have a chance at winning.
    Edited by Iskiab on March 24, 2019 3:54PM
    Havoc Warhammer - Alair
  • HowlKimchi
    HowlKimchi
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree and have said it before: just a snare removal would already make magblades viable again, if a bit underpowered, but workable.

Maybe buff Spectral bow a bit (Quality of Life wise). The delay was added so there's enough time to react to the skill, so yeah, a little projectile speed increase would be nice and maybe lower the volume of the skill effect.

• LordTareq
    LordTareq
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I actually don’t think magblades are in too terrible a spot. It requires more tactical play than any other for sure. But I usually do quite well in battlegrounds. Usually far more kills than deaths, and usually also the least deaths on my team or even the entire batlleground.
    I suppose things differ quite a bit based on gear and abilities that you slot. I myself do not have any heals, but use a backbar icestaff for movement control instead. Other bar is 2 hander, it works for me. Very nice flexibility. My bane are melee hurricane stamsorcs, just so hard to get away from them, but other than that life is good. DK reflect has forced me to slot the destro spammable over strife though.
    Magblades could really use a decent defensive skill though, we are ridiculously fragile when cloak is countered whereas properly geared stamblades can sustain dodgeroll for a significant time when things get hairy + have a much better heal option.
  • Iskiab
    Iskiab
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    LordTareq wrote: »
    I actually don’t think magblades are in too terrible a spot. It requires more tactical play than any other for sure. But I usually do quite well in battlegrounds. Usually far more kills than deaths, and usually also the least deaths on my team or even the entire batlleground.
    I suppose things differ quite a bit based on gear and abilities that you slot. I myself do not have any heals, but use a backbar icestaff for movement control instead. Other bar is 2 hander, it works for me. Very nice flexibility. My bane are melee hurricane stamsorcs, just so hard to get away from them, but other than that life is good. DK reflect has forced me to slot the destro spammable over strife though.
    Magblades could really use a decent defensive skill though, we are ridiculously fragile when cloak is countered whereas properly geared stamblades can sustain dodgeroll for a significant time when things get hairy + have a much better heal option.

What’s your win/loss ratio? I’ve noticed for every NB on my team my chances of losing increases.

Even if your personal stats are decent if your team is being forced to fight short handed while your off doing your thing it isn’t a good pvp spec/strategy.
    Havoc Warhammer - Alair
  • NyassaV
    NyassaV
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

But it's too weak is the point. Being weak in some applications might make something special but when it's damn there useless outside of being a destro bomber then you know you screwed up.
    Flawless Conqueror ~ Grand Overlord
    She/Her ~ PC/NA | I record things for fun and for info
  • NyassaV
    NyassaV
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Very seldom you feast.

Literally any moron can avoid Assassin's Will and it's pretty pathetic. The only time you can land it is when someone is out of stam or if they dodge a tad to early (which can be pretty easy to do). The noise telegraph is one of the loudest in the game while the stamina morph is super discrete and even gives you a 10% sustian buff that a magbalde could really use. They no longer have the best sustain in the game though they are still up there.
    Flawless Conqueror ~ Grand Overlord
    She/Her ~ PC/NA | I record things for fun and for info
  • LordTareq
    LordTareq
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    LordTareq wrote: »

What’s your win/loss ratio? I’ve noticed for every NB on my team my chances of losing increases.

Even if your personal stats are decent if your team is being forced to fight short handed while your off doing your thing it isn’t a good pvp spec/strategy.

Fair point, I usually try to support my team (ice staff really helps with that). But with pretty much any nightblade there is more pressure on the team due to being cloaked and thus not being a target for the enemy for quite a significant period over time. I usually don’t end up with a lot of kills if I focus purely on supporting as well.
    Sometimes I end up with a team that are just hopeless (yesterday evening a team out of monty python, everyone but me had like 10-15 deaths and 0-2 kills) and I decide to just do my own thing.
    No idea on win-loss ratio, how can one check this? It feels like I end more second place than first place, and more first place than third place. I only ever PUG so ending up vs premades its a guaranteed loss as well which will decrease win ratio.