The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

State of PvP: Poor Performance

CatchMeTrolling
CatchMeTrolling
✭✭✭✭✭
So, I’ve been playing ESO for quite some time now (since 2015) and I’ve played every patch since then except homestead. With that being said Wrathstone is the worst patch in my opinion in terms of performance. The obvious issue is lag , which seems to only get worse rather than better. Which is baffling because the population has dwindled and the player cap is lower than what it once was.

As of Wrathstone when it’s prime time the game is pretty much unplayable and a lot of deaths boil down to poor performance.

Some examples of the issues with PvP: Ccs can’t be broken, you’re capable of getting double ccd, can’t pop potions, dodge roll (and why can you get cced mid dodge roll?) not working, skills wont fire off, health de syncs are still a thing, can’t see certain skills Ex. permafrost, mitigation bug, and delayed damage. These things can make PvP a really frustrating experience, even more so when you’re attempting to play alone, which is already in a bad place without poor performance.

My biggest issue is I feel like the devs don’t communicate enough about these issues with the player base. Thoughts ?
Edited by CatchMeTrolling on March 22, 2019 1:11AM
  • thankyourat
    thankyourat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can't cc break anything. The Templar bubble is especially painful. The buggy CC break alone has made the game so frustrating that I simply don't play very often anymore. I just can't deal with it solo. It's to the point that yesterday I had to resort to Zerg surfing during primetime to have any sort of success. It's just so annoying to ride your horse across the map and die because you took a flame clench stun and just laid on the ground lifeless.
  • geonsocal
    geonsocal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I almost screamed the other day when I couldn't use my incapacitating strike to finish off an opponent...

the fight involved multiple enemies, and, I finally died because I just kept chasing after a single low health target that I couldn't execute...

it was frustrating...

was playing last night and had to let someone kill me just to get unstuck from combat and log off...
    PVP Campaigns Section: Playstation NA and EU (Gray Host) - This Must be the Place
  • Minno
    Minno
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gold farmer fix, Lighting patch, and OP siege quickly removed are my top 3 events in ESO history that *** the PvP side of the game.

Till it's fixed I'm zerging and tbagging all you nightblade meat-lings lol
    Edited by Minno on March 22, 2019 12:56AM
    Minno - DC - Forum-plar Extraordinaire
    - Guild-lead for MV
    - Filthy Casual
  • CatchMeTrolling
    CatchMeTrolling
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can't cc break anything. The Templar bubble is especially painful. The buggy CC break alone has made the game so frustrating that I simply don't play very often anymore. I just can't deal with it solo. It's to the point that yesterday I had to resort to Zerg surfing during primetime to have any sort of success. It's just so annoying to ride your horse across the map and die because you took a flame clench stun and just laid on the ground lifeless.

I thought that was the most annoying issue but it’s really skills not firing off, imagine trying to fight people but your vigor won’t go off so you have to dodge roll which also is unreliable. It makes makes getting cced even worse because you don’t have a heal going.
  • CatchMeTrolling
    CatchMeTrolling
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    geonsocal wrote: »
    I almost screamed the other day when I couldn't use my incapacitating strike to finish off an opponent...

the fight involved multiple enemies, and, I finally died because I just kept chasing after a single low health target that I couldn't execute...

it was frustrating...

was playing last night and had to let someone kill me just to get unstuck from combat and log off...

Yup, being right in front of someone but can’t do anything makes for really sluggish combat, it’s even worse when you’re snared.
  • jcm2606
    jcm2606
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I'm just done with the experience as a whole. The poor performance, the absymal balancing, the sheer amount of bugs in the game (I've posted a clip of tab targeting literally causing my character to attack somebody who's off screen with my ultimate, but another issue I've noticed since I've started playing a brawler stamblade, is how difficult it is to get incap to go off), the little inconsistencies that screw you up in combat (why is Talons 6 meters while the rest of the DK kit is 7 meters, why are melee light/heavy attacks 7 meters while literally every stamblade melee skill 5 meters, why is there no consistency here?), and, worst of all, how slow Zenimax is to address this ***.

Serious question, why do we have the weekly maintainence when basically nothing gets fixed most of the time? Why aren't they queuing up bug fixes in the weekly maintenance to push them to the live game faster? There's no reason why 90% of the bug fixes need to be delayed until a massive patch. There's no reason we had to wait for the fix to Draining Shot. There's no reason why they can't address everything I outlined above in the weekly maintenance.
  • geonsocal
    geonsocal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    jcm2606 wrote: »
    Serious question, why do we have the weekly maintenance when basically nothing gets fixed most of the time? Why aren't they queuing up bug fixes in the weekly maintenance to push them to the live game faster?

cuz we have an endless stream of events, new content, new gear, and crown store stuff...i think most of the folks who'll post on this thread already know that though...

it's *** sad...even sadder - i still log on about 4 or five nights a week to hang out in cyrodiil: stuck in combat...
    PVP Campaigns Section: Playstation NA and EU (Gray Host) - This Must be the Place
  • Ayastigi
    Ayastigi
    ✭✭✭✭
    Let's try to keep this thread near the top until something is fixed
  • Sun7dance
    Sun7dance
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    On PS4 it's not only PvP. After every teleport i get huuuuuuge lags!
    The following video is from summerset and there were no other players around!
    Steel tornado 3sec later......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nWoCuntLx-U

PS5|EU
  • Alfie2072
    Alfie2072
    ✭✭✭
    zos wont respond to this
    all they are going to say is to keep the chat civil and claim people are baiting/flaming, they have absolutely no idea how to fix performance in cyrodiil and im pretty sure they know it
    PvP - Stamina Warden - Stamina Templar - Stamina Dragonknight - Stamina Nightblade
    Worst Twitch Streamer Here
  • LjAnimalchin
    LjAnimalchin
    ✭✭✭
    Never getting fixed, it's been like 5 years of *** poor performance that has somehow only gotten worse..
  • Digiman
    Digiman
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gotta also love Akamai also for that extra latency.
  • Alucardo
    Alucardo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ever tried to weave a fire staff in Cyrodiil during prime time? It goes something like this

1. Press LMB
    2. Animation plays but nothing comes out
    3. 4 seconds later a fireball appears

Good times. Feeling deeply immersed in the real-time action combat ESO provides.
  • Ayastigi
    Ayastigi
    ✭✭✭✭
    bump
  • CatchMeTrolling
    CatchMeTrolling
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm just done with the experience as a whole. The poor performance, the absymal balancing, the sheer amount of bugs in the game (I've posted a clip of tab targeting literally causing my character to attack somebody who's off screen with my ultimate, but another issue I've noticed since I've started playing a brawler stamblade, is how difficult it is to get incap to go off), the little inconsistencies that screw you up in combat (why is Talons 6 meters while the rest of the DK kit is 7 meters, why are melee light/heavy attacks 7 meters while literally every stamblade melee skill 5 meters, why is there no consistency here?), and, worst of all, how slow Zenimax is to address this ***.

Serious question, why do we have the weekly maintainence when basically nothing gets fixed most of the time? Why aren't they queuing up bug fixes in the weekly maintenance to push them to the live game faster? There's no reason why 90% of the bug fixes need to be delayed until a massive patch. There's no reason we had to wait for the fix to Draining Shot. There's no reason why they can't address everything I outlined above in the weekly maintenance.

I don’t know the exact reason they don’t do weekly or monthly fixes, people say it’s because of console but I doubt it because it’s console games that get patches quick. My guess would be it has something to do with money. Still there should be an update at least once a month that address bugs, fixes and performance. 3 months is entirely too long.

• CatchMeTrolling
    CatchMeTrolling
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Alfie2072 wrote: »
    zos wont respond to this
    all they are going to say is to keep the chat civil and claim people are baiting/flaming, they have absolutely no idea how to fix performance in cyrodiil and im pretty sure they know it

Probably won’t respond but I know they see forum threads. They could make so much more money if pvp was fixed and shown the proper care.
  • Ayastigi
    Ayastigi
    ✭✭✭✭
    bump
  • Sun7dance
    Sun7dance
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Ayastigi wrote: »
    bump

Mega bumb!

PS5|EU
  • Danksta
    Danksta
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    zos wont respond to this

Probably won’t respond but I know they see forum threads. They could make so much more money if pvp was fixed and shown the proper care.

I'd still be playing nearly everyday (and subbing) if PvP was given some love. Unfortunately it'll most likely just be a game that wasted it's potential.
    BawKinTackWarDs PS4/NA

• Iskiab
    Iskiab
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Likely a business decision, it might be costly to fix. Plus it’ll fix itself as more leave the game.
    Looking for any guildies I used to play with:
    Havoc Warhammer - Alair
    LoC EQ2 - Mayi and Iskiab
    Condemned and Tabula Rasa - Rift - Iskiab
    Or anyone else I used to play games with in guilds I’ve forgotten
  • CatchMeTrolling
    CatchMeTrolling
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Danksta wrote: »
    zos wont respond to this

I'd still be playing nearly everyday (and subbing) if PvP was given some love. Unfortunately it'll most likely just be a game that wasted it's potential.

When I first started playing there was multiple campaigns capped out regularly with higher caps, now it’s only one campaign that gets pop locked regularly. So it’s not like people never liked pvp it’s just the fact people have grown tired of performance and the lack of attention pvp gets. A lot of pvp players subscribe (or have subscribed) to ESO plus even though there’s nothing pvp related in it. I subscribed just to show some support for the game but like many people why subscribe if the portion of the game you like can become unplayable.

The most frustrating part about it is ESO has a solid combat system for an mmo game, not including balance.

• Ayastigi
    Ayastigi
    ✭✭✭✭
    bump
  • ruikkarikun
    ruikkarikun
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    1. Weapon don't swap - VERY OFTEN
    2. Skills sometimes don't work - VERY OFTEN
    3. Lag spikes - VERY OFTEN
    4. + some other things
    Prime time EU PC VIVEC.
  • jcm2606
    jcm2606
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

I don’t know the exact reason they don’t do weekly or monthly fixes, people say it’s because of console but I doubt it because it’s console games that get patches quick. My guess would be it has something to do with money. Still there should be an update at least once a month that address bugs, fixes and performance. 3 months is entirely too long.

It costs nothing to push updates, though. Literally nothing. The work is already being done because, after all, we end up with hundreds of bug fixes in just the first PTS patch, so the work needed to fix it isn't the problem.

Pushing stuff to the live servers isn't the problem, either, since it's literally just a couple commands in your source control system (ie Git), which can easily be automated. Even if they're making the changes on the PTS, there's commands to copy certain commits/changes over to a different project, so that is certainly not the problem.

Consoles would be my best guess, I'd imagine MS/Sony have some form of QA on patches that limits what Zenimax can do, but that shouldn't affect PC. In fact, rolling changes out much earlier on PC could make things better for consoles, since it would mean PC can act as a "beta test" for changes, ensuring they actually do what they're supposed to do.
  • Ayastigi
    Ayastigi
    ✭✭✭✭
    bump
  • Sun7dance
    Sun7dance
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    bump
    PS5|EU
  • Ramber
    Ramber
    ✭✭✭✭
    pvp lag is so bad i only play ir lately to level tiers. The problem me and my friends are getting on PC are very hard lags in PvE. We were in a vet dngn and we had to keep wiping because we all had lag. i tested my internet speed and has 300/25 speed test perfectly with 8 ping. so It was just the game.. I love this game but its really letting us down right now because ZoS only cares about 1 thing it seems and its not keeping players.
  • bmannb16_ESO
    bmannb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    It’s gotten so bad I can only enjoy the Saturday morning, the rest of the week is an exercise in frustration.

BUMP
    AD Six feet under (Sorc, Templar, Dragon Knight)
    EP Six feet under (Warden, Dragon Knight, Sorc)
    EP Sometimes Salty (Nightblade)
    EP Never sees the light (Nightblade)
  • ChefZero
    ChefZero
    ✭✭✭✭
    Last night someone asked on PC EU Vivec in zone chat how performance is for german players. So what I can say is that my latency is usual below 200 ms and combat looks smooth but I have health desync, skills/break free/pots not working and fps drops from 60 to 12 (ok my PC is one month older than ESO). :|
    PC EU - DC only
  • Vapirko
    Vapirko
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ZOS has got to have a talk with Akamai for us overseas players. It’s currently adding anywhere from 50-100 ms of latency which is much worse than it was for a while. All normal ping tests and my RTT graph for my routing service display a stable and solid 245 ms time to ZOS servers. Get in game and it rarely drops below 300 anymore and it’s been wildly unstable lately on top of that. We’re starting to hit trash levels of performance again.