Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Installing game

mysticdreamerb14_ESO
Okay I first bought ESO Standard edition through Steam. Had multiple problems with the install and got a refund from Steam and have deleted the game from my PC.

I then purchased the game through the ESO website and my exciting account. I have downloaded the installer twice now and tried to install the game twice and I still can't get passed the screen where it ask you to choose the drive to install it to. It crashes after that. Please if anyone can tell me what to do or how to get this to work. I would be ever so grateful!
BTW I have the latest Java, NVidia and my windows 7 is up to date.

Best Answer

• Trinity_Is_My_Name
    Trinity_Is_My_Name
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Error 118 is related to not being able to connect to what the installer needs to connect to on the Internet. Sometimes Windows Firewall popup occurs to show you need to allow access for the program to access a site on the Internet but the popup is behind an existing window (such as the Installer window). Have you disabled your Firewall(s) in both Windows and AVG? If you are running two Firewalls that could definitely be an issue. AVG may have it's own Firewall or could be quarantining the eso64 executable.

Good luck!
    Answer ✓
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just to make sure, you enough space on the drive? Although you should get an error about that. Do you get the error if you accept the stock settings?

Normal things to check, your installing as an administrator? Your Antivirus allows the ESO Launcher? Your seeing the news on the Launcher?

There is a pesky issue with C++ if you search the support section here it will tell you. Basically, you have to install it using redistributables.
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• mysticdreamerb14_ESO
    It doesn't get passed the screen "Installation Options" that tells me which drive the game will be installed on. It just crashes after I hit the continue button. And yes it needs 87GB and I have 160GB available on my drive.
  • mysticdreamerb14_ESO
    Actually it acts as though it is installing after I hit the continue button and seems to be installing the Directx and such then it just disappears.
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Install Directx and C++ Manually from the redistributables.

• mysticdreamerb14_ESO
    I truly appreciate all that you have suggested. And I have tried all of them.
    I am clueless ..it seems that I am either not getting all the files when I download the installer from ESO...which by the way is not linked on my account page...I had to go looking in the support section to find a link to the installer... or something is blocking the installer when I click on it to run. I am running it as Admin.
    I submitted a ticket but so far I have only gotten "you need to update your Nvidia drivers" which has been done.
    I'll keep looking.....again thanks
  • mysticdreamerb14_ESO
    So where to begin....I now have a hard copy of ESO Morrowind. I have tried to install and still it will not work. My husband has the same exact PC build as I do and it installed perfectly on his PC through Steam on first try. BTW just so it is out there I have never had an issue installing any game on this PC before now. Old game or new.

So I have some screenshots of how far I can get with installing the game..................

hj211p1asmeo.png

and next screen.......................

wxc2egfy83xl.png

next..................................

9pfn13luhzmn.png

next...................................on this one I click "yes" to continue because I already have an ESO account.......

eheiallmvc39.png

and last....................................this actually gets closer to 95% than the 85% it shows in this shot.........

8nyc9kxyewk8.png

after this screen gets to 95% or 96% which is as far as it has gotten it drops, crashes or disappears...leaving a small icon
    4b3eq14yu38i.png
    in the right hand corner of the taskbar....if I double click this icon it puts a bigger one on the left side of my taskbar...if I double click or right click and select The Elder Scrolls Online it gives the following error code ..

Error-118 when loading url http://127.0.0.1:61052/main.html

this is not brought up in any box on my screen just black lettering on my screen can't copy it or click it. I have tried searching for this error and it comes up with totally unrelated things or I have seen error 118 associated with Steam. However I am not going through Steam anymore.

Things I have tried............and don't work.............

going to msconfig and disabling all programs that might interfere with install..........doesn't help

deleting and reinstalling C++ redistributables..........doesn't help

making sure the following files are put as exceptions on my AVG.....

C:\Program Files (x86)\Zenimax Online\The Elder Scrolls Online\*
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Zenimax Online\The Elder Scrolls Online\game\client\eso.exe
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Zenimax Online\Launcher
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Zenimax Online\Bethesda.net_Launcher

doesn't help

downloading and installing latest Nvidia driver...doesn't help

going into the folder Zenimax Online and trying to Launch directly from Bethesda.net_Launcher......doesn't help

I have set all folders that Launch the game to Admin....doesn't help

I am sure there are things I have tried that I can't remember at this point ..nothing seems to help me get past this point.

One thought...before I got out of the game the one time I was able to get it installed and updated, back a few weeks ago now on March 11th, I did check something to do with Add ons...and I see that some kind of fix has been put out for Add ons though it doesn't state that the fix will help with installing the game.

Thanks for any help anyone can give...I am not trying to be difficult ...would just like to be able to play the game.

FYI...when previewing this post I saw that the error 118 had a link behind it. I followed and did what it suggested. Nothing worked.

• Smellfire
    Smellfire
    ✭✭✭
    Have you tried cleaning your registry?

Something like CC Cleaner will do it if you don't know what your doing. Remember to save your old registry before cleaning but its very good for those that can't do it manually.
  • mysticdreamerb14_ESO
    I have System Mechanic and used the registry cleaner. It did find a file path associated with ESO and it has been fixed. I then tried to install and got this

idajzwct2ka2.png

haven't seen this before now...so I created a new folder on the C:/drive copied the install disk 1 file to it and this is the screen now....

xyvjgjy7lfpg.png

it is stuck on 0% of installing game ..if I try to X out it ask "Are you sure you would like to quit the installation" other than that nothing is happening.
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So you say you successfully got the game installed back on the 11th? What happened after that, did you uninstall the game? Are you on Windows 7? There was a recent windows update, one of those quality roll ups that hosed the game for me. I ended up using System Restore to remove the update, and now it is set to ignore it.

Which leads me to a radical idea, use System Restore back to 11th when you had the game installed to put the game back and then ignore the February Quality Roll Up.

• mysticdreamerb14_ESO
    Back on March 11th I simply signed off and went to bed. Got up the next day and when I went to log on nothing happened. I have windows update set to not install without my permission. I will try though and see if I can roll back to then, though that install was through Steam, which I no longer have the game going through.
  • mysticdreamerb14_ESO
    Nope can't go back that far..................
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    though that install was through Steam, which I no longer have the game going through.

Dumb question, but is the copy your trying to install now purchased independently of Steam?

• mysticdreamerb14_ESO
    Error 118 is related to not being able to connect to what the installer needs to connect to on the Internet. Sometimes Windows Firewall popup occurs to show you need to allow access for the program to access a site on the Internet but the popup is behind an existing window (such as the Installer window). Have you disabled your Firewall(s) in both Windows and AVG? If you are running two Firewalls that could definitely be an issue. AVG may have it's own Firewall or could be quarantining the eso64 executable.

Good luck!

Thank you !!!!! Although I had gone to msconfig and disabled everything it obviously did not shut down my firewalls. It is now updating the game!
  • Trinity_Is_My_Name
    Trinity_Is_My_Name
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice! Hope to see you in game!