The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

vMA - Crematorial Guard

Rontabs77
Rontabs77
✭✭✭
Hello,

How is this even allowed? 6x Molten Breath and 2x Wildfire damage from the crematorial guard? This is at crystal phase 2. In phase 1, I can easily slay the crematorial guard...

qO6sFnd.jpg

Best regards,
Rontabs77
  • John_Falstaff
    John_Falstaff
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Thing is, you shouldn't go up to crystals without killing the guard. Crematorial Guard puts a heavy DoT on you with the flame, if I'm not mistaken, killing him will remove the DoT. If you go up with it on you, you probably will die.
  • Rontabs77
    Rontabs77
    ✭✭✭
    Actually, it's right after destroying 1 or 2 crystals, and going down due to heavy DoT from staying too long upstairs. When I go down, I am faced by a crem guard that is inexplicably dealing more damage than the one that I encounter in phase 1..

Unbelievable..

EDIT (2019-03-22): Ah, to spare you from reading the plethora of posts (but indeed helpful) in this thread, I have cleared Veteran Maelstrom Arena thanks to all the people who had given me their advice. Below is the video of my clear, it is a tad bit long and messy though, but was an awesome experience nonetheless.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pdQmkIjiP3E

EDIT (2019-03-26): Added this keyword to help with search queries --> " Veteran Maelstrom Arena "
    Edited by Rontabs77 on March 26, 2019 2:29AM
  • NordSwordnBoard
    NordSwordnBoard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Rontabs77 wrote: »
    Actually, it's right after destroying 1 or 2 crystals, and going down due to heavy DoT from staying too long upstairs. When I go down, I am faced by a crem guard that is inexplicably dealing more damage than the one that I encounter in phase 1..

Unbelievable..

I used to save Overload for him if I dropped down, just kite away from him with lightning form and mind the ghosts & clannfear. (if magsorc) Charge ulti for last part on those crystals when I go back up & dot is reset.
    Fear is the Mindkiller
  • WrathOfInnos
    WrathOfInnos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The trick to crematorial guards is to stay very close to them, and move in a circle around them. They turn slowly and the breath will never hit you.
  • Pevey
    Pevey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    The trick to crematorial guards is to stay very close to them, and move in a circle around them. They turn slowly and the breath will never hit you.

I've heard about this trick, but for me the circle aoe that spawns will get me if i stay in such a small area. I've found that the only way I can beat this round is to dps faster, preferably so that no CG spawns at all, but if it does you kill it before it gets much breath on you if any at all. If you increase your dps enough that you can get up top without having to deal with a CG and kill the crystals before having to drop back down, then the only risk to this fight for me is whether I can grab all the gold ghosts.
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rotate around the guards to avoid their damage. Do not go toe to toe with them if you are not burning them down fast enough.
  • MalagenR
    MalagenR
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've run VMA less than 20 times. I got a 498k the last time I ran it. My tips on the Crem guard -

1. Are you a vampire? If the answer to this question is Yes, you deserve the L

2. You should have enough dps to end the crystal phase in one attempt and really this is probably the best test in VMA on your skills. Break the 1st crystal, run to the wall, start to range dps down the 2nd crystal, block / dodge the ghost flame, DPS down the 2nd crystal, run to the wall and start to range dps down the 3rd crystal, block / dodge the ghost flame, DPS down 3rd crystal. done.

3. If you do end up down below before you can finish the crystal phase the Crema guard should be easy - kite him in a circle away from the edge of the lava so you don't have to deal with lava blasts, lich crystal, + fire breath. If you don't have enough tank to dps and shield / defense spam - then just light attack while spamming your self heal until he stops breathing, then dps race again.
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    MalagenR wrote: »
    I've run VMA less than 20 times. I got a 498k the last time I ran it. My tips on the Crem guard -

2. You should have enough dps to end the crystal phase in one attempt and really this is probably the best test in VMA on your skills. Break the 1st crystal, run to the wall, start to range dps down the 2nd crystal, block / dodge the ghost flame, DPS down the 2nd crystal, run to the wall and start to range dps down the 3rd crystal, block / dodge the ghost flame, DPS down 3rd crystal. done.

3. If you do end up down below before you can finish the crystal phase the Crema guard should be easy - kite him in a circle away from the edge of the lava so you don't have to deal with lava blasts, lich crystal, + fire breath. If you don't have enough tank to dps and shield / defense spam - then just light attack while spamming your self heal until he stops breathing, then dps race again.

Good advice though I clear vMA on multiple characters that are vamps The first clear I received was on a vamp. So to suggest someone deserves the L because they are a vamp is out of place. It is about learning how to deal with it. I think that is the point OP is looking at here regardless if they are a vamp or not.

Your suggestion of the guard is exactly what I suggested. If they had great damage they would not have to worry about the guard as they could burst it down fast. Circling the guard should be standard MO until one can burst them down fast enough.
    Edited by idk on February 28, 2019 10:04PM
  • MalagenR
    MalagenR
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    idk wrote: »
    MalagenR wrote: »

Good advice though I clear vMA on multiple characters that are vamps The first clear I received was on a vamp. So to suggest someone deserves the L because they are a vamp is out of place. It is about learning how to deal with it. I think that is the point OP is looking at here regardless if they are a vamp or not.

Your suggestion of the guard is exactly what I suggested. If they had great damage they would not have to worry about the guard as they could burst it down fast. Circling the guard should be standard MO until one can burst them down fast enough.

The 1st night I cleared it I was a stage 4 vamp. I didn't know any better, read @Joy_Division guide and just went for it. Took me about 6 hours and I scored like 100 points.

When I stopped playing as a vamp in Murkmire, my clears were way faster and better. I think I deserved that 6 hour death run because I refused to take vamp off.
  • Rontabs77
    Rontabs77
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the comments all. I'll try these out, specially the suggestion where I should stick very close to the crem guard and kiting it away from the edge.

I guess the crem guard has been a nightmare for most, if not all, who are attempting or have attempted to clear vMA. I even saw a video dedicated to it which was entitled "Get Rekt" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RrxgprPugpE

Best regards,
    Rontabs77
  • Wuuffyy
    Wuuffyy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is this really a 2019 nerf crematorial guard thread? Gawd ppl need to learn how to play and they can all start by not spending their time typing the nerf threads.
    Edited by Wuuffyy on March 1, 2019 2:32AM
    Wuuffyy,
    ESO player since 2014
    -PM for questions
  • Wuuffyy
    Wuuffyy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My buddy was over on his 300 cp hundings automaton nightblade and I did his vma no problem... that part included.
    Wuuffyy,
    ESO player since 2014
    -PM for questions
  • firedrgn
    firedrgn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ya CG like other said just walk right next to where his tail is attached to his body. No damage u use lighting heavy attack. And lay down two aoe if i have time. If you go any further out u need to sprint around him. Down side is u cant damge and sprint.

I save a ulti and just drop down after second crystal amd just nuke him. I normally have another ulti intime after 3rd crystal and drop down for boss burn
  • Celoyden
    Celoyden
    ✭✭
    You can use potions of lingering health for the crystal's too, allows you to stay on top if your dps is low.
  • Rontabs77
    Rontabs77
    ✭✭✭
    Is this really a 2019 nerf crematorial guard thread? Gawd ppl need to learn how to play and they can all start by not spending their time typing the nerf threads.

Yeah I admit, this is most likely a L2P issue on my part, but definitely not a nerf thread. If only ZOS hadn't nerfed shields so much...
    Edited by Rontabs77 on March 1, 2019 4:08AM
  • ccfeeling
    ccfeeling
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I wish there is more than 1 Crematorial Guard at final phase , maybe 3 ? It would be funny .
  • Zacuel
    Zacuel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As stage four vampire magdk you can survive it head-on by spamming your Healy scratch move.

I can't speak for other classes though.
    Edited by Zacuel on March 1, 2019 4:28AM
  • Taleof2Cities
    Taleof2Cities
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I take personal pride in ult dumping on the Crematorial Guards ...
  • thorwyn
    thorwyn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I have spent dozends of hours trying to learn how to avoid being shredded by those dudes. Like some people said, you can run around them and not lose a single HP in the process. I knew that and I desperately wanted to learn how to do that. The trick is: do NOT try to run around him in a circle! You will get too close to him and bump into his hitbox or you will drift out too far and take damage. Instead, do three straight tangential sprints. As soon as you get the hang of it, they are losing their scare factor. (This worked for me, other people might have other tactics).

circle.jpg
    And if the dam breaks open many years too soon
    And if there is no room upon the hill
    And if your head explodes with dark forebodings too
    I'll see you on the dark side of the moon
  • zvavi
    zvavi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I mean, your drawing is cute and everything, but when people ask what to do with them my answer was always hug and spin around them, so u know, also if u end up with a ghost/nectoric spear with your spinning, change spin direction and it will be fine
  • John_Falstaff
    John_Falstaff
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Also, just in case, you don't have to spin whole way around CG (you do also bear risk of getting under clannfear's tail attack or running into lich crystal and/or white ghost), it's enough to dance left and right, only not to stay right in front of him. The cone of his breath is like that, damage sharply drops when you move away from 'firing line'.

If you're struggling, grab health and/or shield sigil when you drop from upstairs (it's most beneficial to grab shield after all crystals are broken, but you can do it like that too), and necessarily buff up and get healing on when you drop down, else you'll land with low health and your chances of survival will drop. But since you survived six Molten Breath ticks, I think of all things this isn't the problem you're having.
  • thorwyn
    thorwyn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    zvavi wrote: »
    I mean, your drawing is cute and everything, but when people ask what to do with them my answer was always hug and spin around them, so u know, also if u end up with a ghost/nectoric spear with your spinning, change spin direction and it will be fine

I did that hug and spin thing when I started practicing and more often than not, I bumped into the guard and got stuck. Probably because I was trying to sort of circle strafe. That's why I started doint the tangential sprint and it worked like a charm.
    Like I said, people have different techniques, this is mine. :)
    And if the dam breaks open many years too soon
    And if there is no room upon the hill
    And if your head explodes with dark forebodings too
    I'll see you on the dark side of the moon
  • Datthaw
    Datthaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Improvise adapt overcome

I did this as a vampire
  • StytchFingal
    StytchFingal
    ✭✭✭
    I drop my dots and keep him in them while I block as needed between la-spammable, with occasional block-cast spammable. I only move enough to avoid ground aoe/spears if needed. Blocking is very strong in this game.
  • Beardimus
    Beardimus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't drop down, stay up, damage all three cystals to avoid speed up, do the lot in one. Sorted
    Xbox One | EU | EP
    Beardimus : VR16 Dunmer MagSorc [RIP MagDW 2015-2018]
    Emperor of Sotha Sil 02-2018 & Sheogorath 05-2019
    1st Emperor of Ravenwatch
    Alts - - for the Lolz
    Archimus : Bosmer Thief / Archer / Werewolf
    Orcimus : Fat drunk Orc battlefield 1st aider
    Scalimus - Argonian Sorc Healer / Pet master

Fighting small scale with : The SAXON Guild
    Fighting with [PvP] : The Undaunted Wolves
    Trading Guilds : TradersOfNirn | FourSquareTraders

Xbox One | NA | EP
    Bëardimus : L43 Dunmer Magsorc / BG
    Heals-With-Pets : VR16 Argonian Sorc PvP / BG Healer
    Nordimus : VR16 Stamsorc
    Beardimus le 13iem : L30 Dunmer Magsorc Icereach
  • irswat
    irswat
    ✭✭✭✭
    Improve your dps and you wont even need to worry about CG. At all. Skip the first one. Second one during execute after destroying crystals in 1 trip never spawns
    Edited by irswat on March 1, 2019 3:12PM
    The Lord Jesus Christ saved me from sin and darkness. His love has transformed me so that I am a new creature in Him. May you find Him too, and experience His richness and goodness!
  • Donny_Vito
    Donny_Vito
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you have no problem killing the first one, then just save a sigil (Healing most likely) in case you do drop down. Just grab that and face-tank the CG/clanfear next to the portal pad and you'll be fine.

Or like other suggestions, more DPS almost always solves any problem.
  • Oreyn_Bearclaw
    Oreyn_Bearclaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Actually, I think the trick is to nuke them before they open their mouths. Haha
  • Rontabs77
    Rontabs77
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks all, I'll consider all your advice. I hope that the fact that I am in my late 30's won't hinder me from completing this arena.

Best regards,
    Rontabs77
  • firedrgn
    firedrgn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rontabs77 wrote: »
    Thanks all, I'll consider all your advice. I hope that the fact that I am in my late 30's won't hinder me from completing this arena.

Best regards,
    Rontabs77

Im 46 and did it so your good to go.

Also for me it was all about just one hurdle at a time.
    Get a stratagy and make it muscle memory then go to the next hurdle.

Dont worry about the whole stage just play to beat the cg every time with out taking damage. Then move on.
    Edited by firedrgn on March 3, 2019 6:42AM