The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Best race for Magplar with imminent race changes?

Weesacs
Weesacs
✭✭✭✭
With the imminent race changes that are due out soon, what do u all reckon will be the 'best' race for Magplars in PvP? I'm interested in hearing your thoughts and opinions.
High Elf Templar
PS4 - EU - DC
Over 37,500 Achievements!

Best race for Magplar with imminent race changes? 120 votes

Breton
45%
CireousJWillCHSalexj4596b14_ESOJsmallsCuddlerKupokingMophetLeviticus_AureliusEejit1331MenstruumKartalinEdziuDraetharRhaegar75AuricleMinalanLordRethExodus5656Emma_OverloadMinno 54 votes
Altmer
26%
BaphometAkinosAlendrinkaithuzarXsoruskollege14a5SorisSheuibRin_SenyaAsh_In_My_SujammaLeifEricksonStrider__RoshinCatchMeTrollingBrrrofskiParrot1986Casulcoj901CyrusAryaAjax_22NateS4 32 votes
Dark Elf
9%
FeannagXvorgHowlKimchiGERMANO-THE-IMPERIALRaddlemanNumber7GnortranermaraWrathOfInnosMudcrabberWoppaBoemIntextioTelannocturne 11 votes
Argonian
10%
Tiara_RaKr3doNoFlashChrisCachejUppGRAYxDDPriyasekarsskjoseayalacMaxJrFTWccmedaddymacsmoothdarkblue5SomniluxHiiipowerbass 13 votes
Other
8%
KozerDeadlyRecluseDatoliteWitarGhettokidCalboyDaimmyosusmitdsIlCanis_LupuslIEssavias 10 votes
  • Kartalin
    Kartalin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Breton
    I think there’s multiple good options now but it comes down to your personal playstyle and build needs.

Imperial needs to be an option beyond just ‘other’
    • PC/NA
    • Karllotta, AD Magplar, AR 50
    • Hatched-In-Glacier, DC Magden, AR 44
    • Miraliys, EP Warden, AR 35
    • Kartalin, AD Stamblade, AR 35
    • Kallenna, AD Magcro, AR 34
    • Miralys, EP Magsorc, AR 34
    • Milthalas, EP Magblade, AR 34
    • Lemon Party - Meanest Girls - @ Kartalin - Youtube
  • CatchMeTrolling
    CatchMeTrolling
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Altmer
    Depends but I think high elf is closer to the top overall for any setup (dw, destro, Snb) than the rest because of the stam return and extra mitigation for traditional magplar builds.

Breton would’ve been more appealing when Templar’s struggled with sustain but there just so many options now food and gear wise for that purpose. The resistance still is good.

Argonian is pretty decent for balanced builds and swapping between stam and mag.

Imperial can now build better with max mag and the red diamond passive is better minus the health part.

Dark elf meh

Nord okay for tanky builds.
    Edited by CatchMeTrolling on February 24, 2019 7:55PM
  • Gnortranermara
    Gnortranermara
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dark Elf
    Dark Elf Shacklebreaker hybridplar might be the way to go next patch. Stronger light attacks on dual-wield and S&B bars make them a strong contender for a spellsword sweeps build. I like to dual-wield and this is the only suitable race to do it now. Natural fire and burn immunity mitigates vampire weaknesses, which let's you take the extra recovery and utility with fewer downsides. You can also try stacking weapon damage instead of spell damage (Templar gets a class 6% bonus to WD so it's easier to stack up), run Pelinal's, and possibly have the nastiest magic sweeps in the game with functional Traps, Blade Cloak, and maybe other stam utility skills.

Imperial is also a surprisingly viable choice for PvP Magplar, one that I'm looking very closely at. Now that the percent modifiers are gone, it provides a perfect amount of extra health and stam so that you can build the rest of your character without hybrid sets. And you get the equivalent of a tri-recovery glyph and 3% mag and ulti cost reduction. If you run blue food, you'll have just barely under the same mag pool as a mag race running Witchmother's, a lot more health, and approximately equal mag recovery if you're spending at about ~3k magicka per second. But you'll also have ulti cost reduction and the ability to focus on damage with your set selection. I don't think they're going to be an optimal choice, but they should work pretty well because they bring so much utility you can just build to kill.
    Edited by Gnortranermara on February 25, 2019 9:14PM
  • LeifErickson
    LeifErickson
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Altmer
    Dark Elf Shacklebreaker hybridplar might be the way to go next patch. Stronger light attacks on dual-wield and S&B bars make them a strong contender for a spellsword sweeps build. I like to dual-wield and this is the only suitable race to do it now. Natural fire and burn immunity mitigates vampire weaknesses, which let's you take the extra recovery and utility with fewer downsides. You can also stack weapon damage instead of spell damage (Templar gets a class 6% bonus to WD so it's easier to stack up), run Pelinal's, and possibly have the nastiest magic sweeps in the game with functional Traps, Blade Cloak, and maybe other stam utility skills.

Imperial is also a surprisingly viable choice for PvP Magplar, one that I'm looking very closely at. Now that the percent modifiers are gone, it provides a perfect amount of extra health and stam so that you can build the rest of your character without hybrid sets. And you get the equivalent of a tri-recovery glyph and 3% mag and ulti cost reduction. If you run blue food, you'll have just barely under the same mag pool as a mag race running Witchmother's, a little more health, and approximately equal mag recovery if you're spending at about ~3k magicka per second. But you'll also have ulti cost reduction and the ability to focus on damage with your set selection. I don't think they're going to be an optimal choice, but they should work pretty well because they bring so much utility you can just build to kill.

Templar gets minor sorcery as well which helps with stacking spell damage.
    Edited by LeifErickson on February 24, 2019 11:54PM
  • Gnortranermara
    Gnortranermara
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dark Elf
    Templar gets minor sorcery as well which helps with stacking spell damage.

Fair point. I just like the idea of synergy of things like Pelinal's with Shackle/Ravager/etc on hybridplar. And don't forget about Dawnbreaker for WD. Not claiming any of this is going to be damage meta, but it'll be fun.
    Edited by Gnortranermara on February 25, 2019 4:42AM
  • Mudcrabber
    Mudcrabber
    ✭✭✭✭
    Dark Elf
    18 votes and not one Argonian. I guess the "Argonians are OP" memers are taking the day off.

My own math (just looked at 4 races) has Altmer > Khajiit > Breton > Argonian in CP pvp, but that doesn't take into account the utility of extra stamina or resistance. So I think Dunmer would do well, but I haven't quantified it yet.
  • Weesacs
    Weesacs
    ✭✭✭✭
    Kartalin wrote: »
    I think there’s multiple good options now but it comes down to your personal playstyle and build needs.

Imperial needs to be an option beyond just ‘other’

Tbh I actually never thought that imperial would be that great a choice for Magplar in PvP however with the additional comments I now see how one would work. Unfortunately I don't seem to be able to amend the pole therefore apologies for that.
    High Elf Templar
    PS4 - EU - DC
    Over 37,500 Achievements!
  • DeadlyRecluse
    DeadlyRecluse
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Other
    I really think you've got options this patch.

I've been a Breton since launch, and I'm certainly not changing--but strictly speaking I'd prefer Altmer or Dunmer this patch on my Dark Flare build, a strong argument can be made for Imperial, and Argonians will still be strong as PvP healers.
    Thrice Empress, Forever Scrub
  • MaxJrFTW
    MaxJrFTW
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Argonian
    Argonian > Altmer > Breton > Dunmer. My opinion, obviously.
    "I don't know you, and I don't care to know you."
    ―Ulrich Leland, 3E 433
  • Minno
    Minno
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Breton
    Don't discount imperial. Very brawly and not terrible DMG if you can stat swap right.
    Minno - DC - Forum-plar Extraordinaire
    - Guild-lead for MV
    - Filthy Casual
  • Hiiipowerbass
    Hiiipowerbass
    Soul Shriven
    Argonian
    I am just coming back to ESO, but this time fresh on PC/NA from ps4 where i stopped shortly after morrowind release. I want to play Endgame CP Cyrodil, mainly heals, but able to swap to a damage build. Is argonian still my best choice? can someone explain why the current best is the best for my specific situation?
  • CatchMeTrolling
    CatchMeTrolling
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Altmer
    I am just coming back to ESO, but this time fresh on PC/NA from ps4 where i stopped shortly after morrowind release. I want to play Endgame CP Cyrodil, mainly heals, but able to swap to a damage build. Is argonian still my best choice? can someone explain why the current best is the best for my specific situation?

Seem like argonian or breton would be the best choice. Argonian for the extra buff to heals and breton for the really good sustain and added mitigation. I’d personally choose breton in your scenario.

• likecats
    likecats
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Breton

Seem like argonian or breton would be the best choice. Argonian for the extra buff to heals and breton for the really good sustain and added mitigation. I’d personally choose breton in your scenario.

If healing is your goal, it's better to just go high elf this patch.
    The 6% healing done is less special now since high-elf gets spell damage which also increases healing as well as damage.

Only reason to go Argonian is the potion passive. But its utility depends on how much you need stam regen along with mag regen.
  • CatchMeTrolling
    CatchMeTrolling
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Altmer
    likecats wrote: »

If healing is your goal, it's better to just go high elf this patch.
    The 6% healing done is less special now since high-elf gets spell damage which also increases healing as well as damage.

Only reason to go Argonian is the potion passive. But its utility depends on how much you need stam regen along with mag regen.

Breton would be the safer choice because he/she wants to swap to damage and if he/she plays pve breton is still at the top of that lists. Breton has better passives overall for a healer in my opinion. While damage increases heals, the sustain Breton gets allows you the option to run more spell damage too. Which is why for awhile sustain sets have been more appealing than damage sets for some Templar’s.

Breton healers built right might be the most annoying players to come across now.
  • Iskiab
    Iskiab
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Altmer
    Just tried out a night of altmer as a nb healer. I actually like it. When I tried it with heavy fortified brass the sustain sucked but switching to light made a big difference. The sp boost is noticeable.

Considering NBs have 0 channeled attacks it should be even better for a magplar.
    Edited by Iskiab on February 26, 2019 5:37AM
    Looking for any guildies I used to play with:
    Havoc Warhammer - Alair
    LoC EQ2 - Mayi and Iskiab
    Condemned and Tabula Rasa - Rift - Iskiab
    Or anyone else I used to play games with in guilds I’ve forgotten
  • Sheuib
    Sheuib
    ✭✭✭✭
    Altmer
    The first night of playing as a magplar altmer in pvp was awesome. The extra Stam Regen is very noticeable and so is the damage reduction when using jabs.
  • Karivaa
    Karivaa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Breton
    @CatchMeTrolling do you play anymore? I miss seeing you! I am keeping my pvp healers as Bretons.
  • LeifErickson
    LeifErickson
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Altmer
    Been playing around with high elf and I think it's really good. I'm planning to switch back to Argo though as I think I prefer the playstyle of getting a ton of stuff with a pot. High elf definitely seems like one of the best choices though.
  • CatchMeTrolling
    CatchMeTrolling
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Altmer
    Karivaa wrote: »
    CatchMeTrolling do you play anymore? I miss seeing you! I am keeping my pvp healers as Bretons.

If you’re talking about the person who played magplar for the longest then, yes lol but not as much and I have a different account.

• Amksed1991
    Amksed1991
    ✭✭✭
    Nord.
    Resists w/ ult charge is insanely good.
    I seem to always stay in the fight longer with my Templar compared to other classes so that you charge when taking damage every 10 seconds combined with Heroic Slash and Dawns Wrath passive. It feels like I almost constantly have my ultimate. May run Blood Spawn instead of Skoria.
  • susmitds
    susmitds
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other
    Khajiit+Shadow. Use Mechanical Aquity. I am KOing tanky builds with a single Soul Assault
  • Minno
    Minno
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Breton
    susmitds wrote: »
    Khajiit+Shadow. Use Mechanical Aquity. I am KOing tanky builds with a single Soul Assault

DELETE KITTIES
    Minno - DC - Forum-plar Extraordinaire
    - Guild-lead for MV
    - Filthy Casual
  • Amksed1991
    Amksed1991
    ✭✭✭

If you use Soul Assault out of Shadow will the entire channel crit or just the initial tick?
  • Witar
    Witar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other
    Fire ballista user.
    It cannot be seen, cannot be felt,
    Cannot be heard, cannot be smelt,
    It lies behind stars and under hills,
    And empty holes it fills,
    It comes first and follows after,
    Ends life, kills laughter.
  • susmitds
    susmitds
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other
    Amksed1991 wrote: »

If you use Soul Assault out of Shadow will the entire channel crit or just the initial tick?

If you use Mechanical Aquity, entire channel will crit. This is why Mechanical Aquity is so good on Khajiit.
  • JWillCHS
    JWillCHS
    ✭✭✭
    Breton
    I played Breton and Altmer for awhile. Then I went Argonian with tri-potions which increased my survivability. By the end of Murkmire I wasn't relying much on the Argonian's racial passives.

When I went back to Breton this patch I started using a heavy set of Seducer. I just realized how much I missed sustaining magicka without relying on pots. Then I could stack damage without having to sacrifice my ability to save or recover magicka.

Not to mention playing Argonian, most of the time you have 35K max magicka or less. So I found myself being able to experiment more with jewelry traits on Breton more than I ever could with the lizard people.

You could literally have great sustain, and high spell damage. Then use an infused jewelry trait to further increase those two or combine it with stamina recovery for almost 1K+ stamina return[as a vampire].
  • Kartalin
    Kartalin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Breton
    Playing in Cyrodiil Monday night (still as a Breton) I felt a huge improvement in my sustain compared to previously. Unless I was just flat out hammering abilities to bring down an opponent I felt like I didn't even need to heavy attack as much or use as many potions compared to before the update. This was in 5 light armor + Breton with Atronach mundus and full spell damage glyphs on protective jewelry, running Torugs + Spinners + Valkyn (+ Willpower resto). Felt really good -- minus all the ritual spamming because siege.
    • PC/NA
  • Amksed1991
    Amksed1991
    ✭✭✭

If you use Mechanical Aquity, entire channel will crit. This is why Mechanical Aquity is so good on Khajiit.

I understand that but will your Shadow Cloak make your entire Soul Assault crit regardless of the 5pc?
  • Kartalin
    Kartalin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Breton

I understand that but will your Shadow Cloak make your entire Soul Assault crit regardless of the 5pc?
    Shadow cloak isn’t a magplar ability
    • PC/NA
  • IlCanis_LupuslI
    IlCanis_LupuslI
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other
    Khajiit of course^^
    Cp 1490
    Xbox-EU-AD
    Khajiit Night blade Healer(BiS for cuteness)-Flawless Conquerer Grand Overlord
    Khajiit Stamsorc Werewolf, Flawless Conquerer (1st attempt ww form during the entire dungeon) main
    Khajiit(Master Race) Templar Healer, Flawless Conquerer
    Khajiit Stam dk, Flawless conquerer, 2nd attempt
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQhCmVHwZioVyTEDberxGtA?view_as=public
    Werewolf Veteran player, Since Wrathstone-DLC "Raid-Wolf", 50k dps with fracture, Pvp Healer.