The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

ZOS - report a player....

bzz86
bzz86
✭✭✭✭
So... not very often, but once in while I come across players that just do not listen and follow with insults. I just got into another dungeon on last boss where the previous tank clearly had enough.... Before I got there one of dd-s pulled and they wiped. While they were wiping I told them that I am stuck and cannot get in. This follows with couple of lines of insults from one of the players. I politely asked why? And just got more insults. My second response was: 'You know I can just leave like your previous tank and after the counter get an instant dungeon' to which I got more insults. I did the boss and during the entire fight I was being insulted. I didnt react. When it was over I said to them that there is no need and to stop acting like kids. Conversation moved on and at some point when it moved to age I mentioned that I can probably be their father. At this point the conversation moved into insults at my family.

This happens... Not often, but often enough.... I report these people and dont bother with 'ignore', cause what will that do? These people just continue to be ***male reproductive organs***. I am yet to see ZOS actually do anything about it. Do these people get kicked out for at least 24h? Do they just get an email? I've seen stories on reddit about poor disabled kid that got his share of insults. How does ZOS react to this?

We all know that MMO-s are like that, but this just drops the reputation of ESO that in my opinion was the most friendly community out there. Now I just think that the community is slowly getting to the same level as all the other games of this type.
  • bzz86
    bzz86
    ✭✭✭✭
    I forgot that you also get one of these via email:

The dwellers of Tamriel thank you for taking time from your adventures to report this offense. Maintaining the integrity of the land is a priority. We will investigate this matter and take appropriate action.

To protect individual privacy, we do not disclose the outcome of our investigation.

Please also be aware that you can add players whose behavior you find objectionable to the ignore list. To do this, open your contacts list (default: O) and click on the "No Entry" icon in the upper right corner. Now you have the option to add players. You can also do this by right-clicking on a player's name and choosing "Ignore". Once this is done, messages from the player in question will no longer be able to reach you.

If you are playing on a console, please contact Sony / Microsoft directly for more information on how to ignore or report a player who you feel is in violation of Sony or Microsoft’s Terms of Service.

Thank you for your continued interest and support!

Warm Regards,
    The Elder Scrolls Online Team

• Suddwrath
    Suddwrath
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    It is unfortunate how these types of people only receive slaps on the wrist.

I knew someone who was received a communication ban (not sure if it was from ZOS or Xbox) from being a total jerk, but he wore it like it was a badge of honor.
  • West1389
    West1389
    ✭✭✭✭
    Lol ok Darth Vader I am your father. If you could be their father why engage if the others were talking about teamwork then respond to them.

Im not sure if you know this but they feed off you replying back to them. When I mess with family and tease them the ones that get upset I do it to them more.

I was once followed but this toon for maybe 20mins. He or she was saying all this stuff on the chat box it was crazy. I just laughed and was like ok. I kept doing my stuff. Went did quest, farmed and did some write. All while the toon followed. Now how could I have done that? I choose to not let dumb stuff bother me. I move on in life it's just words I didnt report I didnt respond, the toon moved on when I didnt give in.

As a father myself I teach my boys words will never ever eeeeeever hurt you. You dont lay a hand on anyone that says mean things to you, only when they put hands on you.

We need to stop this they hurt my feeling stuff grow up. Turn chat off, or ignore it. Man I cant be this old only 33 and remember my grandparents saying did it physically hurt you? No then ignor them, they would tell me when I was like 10.
  • bzz86
    bzz86
    ✭✭✭✭
    Mate I am bothered that people are not punished for what they deserve to be punished for. Your comment just sound like admittance to the fact that you do the same... I felt like my post clearly highlighted that I am not bothered with these people, I am just annoyed that punishment is not there and I do not feel ZOS does anything about it.
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If I'm going to report someone, I usually screenshot whatever was said, and attach it as a reply to that "Thank you for reporting" email.

I'll never know what happens after that. That's because of privacy, and frankly, I'm alright with that. I did what I could, made sure someone at ZOS saw what was actually said without having to check the chat logs (they can go back and double check the screenshots if they want), and that's all I can do about beyond try not to let jerks ruin my day.
  • Reistr_the_Unbroken
    Reistr_the_Unbroken
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    bzz86 wrote: »

The dwellers of Tamriel thank you for taking time from your adventures to report this offense. Maintaining the integrity of the land is a priority. We will investigate this matter and take appropriate action.

To protect individual privacy, we do not disclose the outcome of our investigation.

Please also be aware that you can add players whose behavior you find objectionable to the ignore list. To do this, open your contacts list (default: O) and click on the "No Entry" icon in the upper right corner. Now you have the option to add players. You can also do this by right-clicking on a player's name and choosing "Ignore". Once this is done, messages from the player in question will no longer be able to reach you.

If you are playing on a console, please contact Sony / Microsoft directly for more information on how to ignore or report a player who you feel is in violation of Sony or Microsoft’s Terms of Service.

Warm Regards,
    Man ZoS really hates console users if they make it so easy to ignore people on the PC, but yet you have to contact Sony/Micro just to ignore someone in the game.
  • bzz86
    bzz86
    ✭✭✭✭
    If I'm going to report someone, I usually screenshot whatever was said, and attach it as a reply to that "Thank you for reporting" email.

I'll never know what happens after that. That's because of privacy, and frankly, I'm alright with that. I did what I could, made sure someone at ZOS saw what was actually said without having to check the chat logs (they can go back and double check the screenshots if they want), and that's all I can do about beyond try not to let jerks ruin my day.

The email might be an idea - but shouldn't they already have access to chat logs?

Also - what privacy ? The person reported clearly goes far to insult someone, what privacy is that would not let ZOS email back to say - player has been banned for 24h? Or if they do not want/cannot say that for whatever reason they could at least have something generic -> "we ban everybody that uses direct insults against another player for a minimum of 24h". I guess the internal workings of people investigating must have some sort of guidelines. I can also guess that most of the time these reports do not go any further.... Someone reads it, assumes it is not worth any punishment and moves on to another email.
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

The email might be an idea - but shouldn't they already have access to chat logs?

Also - what privacy ? The person reported clearly goes far to insult someone, what privacy is that would not let ZOS email back to say - player has been banned for 24h? Or if they do not want/cannot say that for whatever reason they could at least have something generic -> "we ban everybody that uses direct insults against another player for a minimum of 24h". I guess the internal workings of people investigating must have some sort of guidelines. I can also guess that most of the time these reports do not go any further.... Someone reads it, assumes it is not worth any punishment and moves on to another email.

Of course ZOS has the chat logs. But I figure there's a difference between "So-and-So said "X,Y, and Z" to me in private chat" and "Here's a screenshot where you can read what they said" even though I would expect ZOS to follow due process and double check the chat logs to prevent photoshoppery. if nothing else, its providing Support with more details, which is always good.

ZOS clearly states, and holds to quite rigidly, "To protect individual privacy, we do not disclose the outcome of our investigation." That's true on the forums and in game. You aren't going to find out the results of a report against another player from ZOS. Its as much protection for you as it is for the player you reported.

They also don't go into great detail about how they apply discipline. In part, that's because they would have people skate up the line if they did. You might also have people go "Oh, a 24 hr ban? That's not so bad..."
    Edited by VaranisArano on February 21, 2019 7:09PM
  • West1389
    West1389
    ✭✭✭✭
    I used to be the person to do that people. Then I got older and it stopped. I get mad that we make it a point to tell on people when we can just ignore it. So guess what the person still wins they got under your skin, then made you do extra work to report them. Nothing may happen to them, so ask yourself was it worth the extra work just to run and report a play who hurt your feelings.

When did we start going down the drain with all of this they hurt my feelings. I wouldn't care if they said every bad thing about me or my family cause here is a shocker. THEY DONT KNOW ME. Even if they did it's still a who cares. Did they kill you, did they hurt you physically? No you are here for a pat on the back and everyone to hold hands and say sorry the internet is like this. We should ban everyone.
  • West1389
    West1389
    ✭✭✭✭
    Also I dont talk in games only to family and friends in private chat, or discord. I got tired of hear 90% of the people say racist stuff. This has been going on since xbox 360. Prob before but online was not that good on consoles.
  • bzz86
    bzz86
    ✭✭✭✭

Of course ZOS has the chat logs. But I figure there's a difference between "So-and-So said "X,Y, and Z" to me in private chat" and "Here's a screenshot where you can read what they said" even though I would expect ZOS to follow due process and double check the chat logs to prevent photoshoppery. if nothing else, its providing Support with more details, which is always good.

ZOS clearly states, and holds to quite rigidly, "To protect individual privacy, we do not disclose the outcome of our investigation." That's true on the forums and in game. You aren't going to find out the results of a report against another player from ZOS. Its as much protection for you as it is for the player you reported.

They also don't go into great detail about how they apply discipline. In part, that's because they would have people skate up the line if they did. You might also have people go "Oh, a 24 hr ban? That's not so bad..."

Yes - I agree with you - and this is exactly the problem. People do it cause - "what is the worse that they can do". Most don't even think that there might be a consequence. Where there is no punishment crime will continue..... If in a real life someone would come up to you - you can react immediately - they insult your wife - you have them right there and then to react. If they take it further you can to, take it to the police for example. They will tell you exactly what happened with this person afterwards. Anything related to racial, religion or origin insults can be considered criminal in real life, why don't we have the same punishment system in game ? I do realize I am taking it far - > paining the picture....
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    West1389 wrote: »
    I used to be the person to do that people. Then I got older and it stopped. I get mad that we make it a point to tell on people when we can just ignore it. So guess what the person still wins they got under your skin, then made you do extra work to report them. Nothing may happen to them, so ask yourself was it worth the extra work just to run and report a play who hurt your feelings.

When did we start going down the drain with all of this they hurt my feelings. I wouldn't care if they said every bad thing about me or my family cause here is a shocker. THEY DONT KNOW ME. Even if they did it's still a who cares. Did they kill you, did they hurt you physically? No you are here for a pat on the back and everyone to hold hands and say sorry the internet is like this. We should ban everyone.

See, for me, its not about whether they bothered me.

Its about whether they broke the TOS. You know, the TOS and Code of Conduct we all agreed to in order to player the game.

If they do, that's what I'll be reporting them for. That's a lot less subjective. Nor is it something that I should "grow a thicker skin and ignore" the way you wave off insults.

Even if they didn't bother me, they still broke the rules that help make this a pleasant game environment for everyone.
  • bzz86
    bzz86
    ✭✭✭✭
    Also I dont talk in games only to family and friends in private chat, or discord. I got tired of hear 90% of the people say racist stuff. This has been going on since xbox 360. Prob before but online was not that good on consoles.

Skipping your previous post. Why do you write two instead of just one? That is the problem these days - > we all get tired of people that say racist stuff or for that matter any other insulting stuff, but nobody does anything about it. Which Is a shame.
  • Minyassa
    Minyassa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Some people are garbage. Sadly, having to interact with garbage people is a part of MMOs these days, and no, the companies don't care to or need to do anything about it because at the end of the day the players being harassed will still continue to play and give them money without their having to lift a finger to do anything about harassers. All they have to do is make reassuring noises about community standards and give people a hint that something might be done about it, and then say they can't discuss what, and then they don't have to do anything. It's only going to matter if someone ever starts making games with the option to play on privately hosted servers and players start leaving for that, and since so many people would rather put up with garbage than go to effort, that's not likely to happen either. For now, decent people are just pretty much screwed.

I'd advise simply not interacting with people like that. It's worth it to wait for another dungeon and just avoid any contact with the sort of POS that feels the need to be insulting. You can farm resources while you wait and get something productive done while not being subjected to that bs. Playing with them just rewards them for being trashy, let them inflict that crap on someone else. With any luck they'll run into someone more psychotic than they are that will give them a taste of their own medicine.
  • West1389
    West1389
    ✭✭✭✭
    Also sorry for calling you Darth Vader I didnt take your feelings into account.
  • bzz86
    bzz86
    ✭✭✭✭
    Again mate. I do not get why you write twice, instead of once or just editing your post. I do not care about insults, what I care about is the fact that people do not get punished. Your objective in this conversations seems to be to provoke me and say that it is ok to insult people. What you're trying to say is that you are right cause as US citizen you're allowed to say whatever you want.... I do not know why you participated in this discussion. Why? Just to stand on the opposite of common sense and provoke ?
  • Elara_Northwind
    Elara_Northwind
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    So... not very often, but once in while I come across players that just do not listen and follow with insults. I just got into another dungeon on last boss where the previous tank clearly had enough.... Before I got there one of dd-s pulled and they wiped. While they were wiping I told them that I am stuck and cannot get in. This follows with couple of lines of insults from one of the players. I politely asked why? And just got more insults. My second response was: 'You know I can just leave like your previous tank and after the counter get an instant dungeon' to which I got more insults. I did the boss and during the entire fight I was being insulted. I didnt react. When it was over I said to them that there is no need and to stop acting like kids. Conversation moved on and at some point when it moved to age I mentioned that I can probably be their father. At this point the conversation moved into insults at my family.

This happens... Not often, but often enough.... I report these people and dont bother with 'ignore', cause what will that do? These people just continue to be ***male reproductive organs***. I am yet to see ZOS actually do anything about it. Do these people get kicked out for at least 24h? Do they just get an email? I've seen stories on reddit about poor disabled kid that got his share of insults. How does ZOS react to this?

We all know that MMO-s are like that, but this just drops the reputation of ESO that in my opinion was the most friendly community out there. Now I just think that the community is slowly getting to the same level as all the other games of this type.

It's really disappointing that this happened to you. Most people play the game to have fun and relax, not to be insulted by others. It is a shame that some people seem to have no respect or consideration for others. I really hope that at least SOMETHING was done about this, or it just teaches people that it is absolutely fine to go around treating others badly.
    Sorcerer, Templar, Wolf Collector, Housing Addict!

GM of Salted Wings Tavern and Salted Wings Housing 🏠🌻

'A House is Built with Boards and Beams, a Home is Built with Love and Dreams'

Youtube - https://www.youtube.com/c/ElaraNorthwind
  • Girl_Number8
    Girl_Number8
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Mate I am bothered that people are not punished for what they deserve to be punished for. Your comment just sound like admittance to the fact that you do the same... I felt like my post clearly highlighted that I am not bothered with these people, I am just annoyed that punishment is not there and I do not feel ZOS does anything about it.

Best thing to do is to block them and depending which platform they are on report them. It can really take the fun out of your night if you let them but eso is filled with lots of toxic players, it is best to just ignore and not engage such trolls in any conversation. Play with the people that give you a positive experience Op.

If you wanted to punish then you should of just reset the boss over and over till they kicked you or stand there while they wiped doing nothing, so you immediately could queue for another dungeon. Hope you find a good guild of nicer people that way you won't have this issue in the future. :)
    Edited by Girl_Number8 on February 21, 2019 8:08PM
  • Na0cho
    Na0cho
    ✭✭✭
    when people talk *** about my kids, i go get my kids and let them play with those people.

those poor, poor people....

they honestly had no idea what they were getting in to.
  • vamp_emily
    vamp_emily
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    If you every played BGs with/against me, you would know I am no princess. I usually say a few things to get players boiling. :)

One time I was in BG and the entire group was crying about a premade group. I responded, "Well from my experience around 80% of the players in BGs don't even know how to pvp". They took it personal and we played 15 min of roasting each other.

Words are very powerful. Sometimes it is wise not to say anything in your group because if you say the wrong thing players get their feelings hurt.

If you want a friend, get a dog.
    AW Rank: Grand Warlord 1 ( level 49)

• bzz86
    bzz86
    ✭✭✭✭
    vamp_emily wrote: »
    If you every played BGs with/against me, you would know I am no princess. I usually say a few things to get players boiling. :)

One time I was in BG and the entire group was crying about a premade group. I responded, "Well from my experience around 80% of the players in BGs don't even know how to pvp". They took it personal and we played 15 min of roasting each other.

Words are very powerful. Sometimes it is wise not to say anything in your group because if you say the wrong thing players get their feelings hurt.

Yes - I do not disagree with that. However there are ways of saying things and moments to do it. You can say things in a smart way instead of just 'c**t' this and 'd**k' that... :pensive:
  • Starlock
    Starlock
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can't speak for how things work behind the scenes at Zeminax, but as someone with experience having to moderate these kinds of complaints, there's a certain degree of opacity to the process that must be preserved to protect member privacy. I understand how that's really frustrating from the user standpoint. It makes it seems like the moderators are doing nothing, or that your complaints aren't being heard. But when the complaint has merit - especially when accompanied with evidence - it does get taken through the system and justice served as per the rules laid out by things like terms of service. When that happens, it's not something communicated to the person who made the report because of privacy issues again.

What's critical is to continue to report. Again, while I can't speak for how Zenimax handles these things, the most frustrating thing about being a moderator in my experience is when the community fails to report bad behavior. Without community reports, things fly under the radar and get missed. That means these trolls and bullies keep doing their game longer because nobody spoke out and said something. So thank you. Thank you for saying something. Thank you for being one of the people who acts, @bzz86 ! Too often people don't report for one reason or another.

There is no easy solution to the problem of online bullying, unfortunately. A strong moderation team helps immensely, but for a game the size of Elder Scrolls Online, doing that successfully would require a LOT of people. That's part of why it's good for players to use their ignore lists. On xbox at least, it's really easy to block someone. I can't speak for Playstation or PC/Mac.
  • bzz86
    bzz86
    ✭✭✭✭
    Starlock wrote: »
    I can't speak for how things work behind the scenes at Zeminax, but as someone with experience having to moderate these kinds of complaints, there's a certain degree of opacity to the process that must be preserved to protect member privacy. I understand how that's really frustrating from the user standpoint. It makes it seems like the moderators are doing nothing, or that your complaints aren't being heard. But when the complaint has merit - especially when accompanied with evidence - it does get taken through the system and justice served as per the rules laid out by things like terms of service. When that happens, it's not something communicated to the person who made the report because of privacy issues again.

What's critical is to continue to report. Again, while I can't speak for how Zenimax handles these things, the most frustrating thing about being a moderator in my experience is when the community fails to report bad behavior. Without community reports, things fly under the radar and get missed. That means these trolls and bullies keep doing their game longer because nobody spoke out and said something. So thank you. Thank you for saying something. Thank you for being one of the people who acts, @bzz86 ! Too often people don't report for one reason or another.

There is no easy solution to the problem of online bullying, unfortunately. A strong moderation team helps immensely, but for a game the size of Elder Scrolls Online, doing that successfully would require a LOT of people. That's part of why it's good for players to use their ignore lists. On xbox at least, it's really easy to block someone. I can't speak for Playstation or PC/Mac.

Well - yes. I get what you say and completely understand you point of view. I would like to see some more transparency in at least a general way of how these things are being taken care off.
  • ZOS_Ragnar
    ZOS_Ragnar
    admin
    We have removed some comments from this thread that were political in nature and inappropriate. Please keep your comments civil and constructive and ensure your posts abide by the forum rules.
    The Elder Scrolls Online - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site
    Staff Post
  • Suddwrath
    Suddwrath
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    ZOS_RyanM wrote: »
    We have removed some comments from this thread that were political in nature and inappropriate. Please keep your comments civil and constructive and ensure your posts abide by the forum rules.

Thank you, @ZOS_RyanM

TOS > FA :)
  • bzz86
    bzz86
    ✭✭✭✭
    Back on topic dont be a baby, mean word wont hurt you. Dont run and cry everytime this happens. Zos has more important things to do, like fix the bugs.

They do - yes. They should however acknowledge that there is a problem. They should be more transparent on how they are acting upon it. We are adults, but there are children that play this game and people that are sensitive. Some people can be hurt by words and despite the fact that you do not understand that it does happen. Bugs should be fixed, but people should not disconnect from the real world to get into dungeon and get insulted for no reason. I play to relax, I do not care about hardcore end-game content. I can play it and I played it but cannot care less..... Just want to relax and do not need children with no education to insult me or everybody else along the way. I would like to meet nice people I can play with and not bunch of progression and aggression driven *fools*.
  • Shantu
    Shantu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    While I agree this type of behavior is abhorrent (and even a bannable offense), I wouldn't invest much time getting upset with ZOS. I used to report this type of nonsense, but it's endless. Personally, I just make a statement that what's happening is unacceptable, block, and immediately leave. I would not have done anything with that group after the very first insult. Let THEM endure the consequences of their behavior.

To say "don't pug and only run with guild members" is getting to be a cliche, but it does solve 99% of the problem.
  • therift
    therift
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Warm Regards,
    Man ZoS really hates console users if they make it so easy to ignore people on the PC, but yet you have to contact Sony/Micro just to ignore someone in the game.

Blocking players on console is quick and easy. My block list is huge. What ZoS is saying is that console players have two 'authorities' for reporting player behavior, whereas PC/Mac have just one.

Sony, in my limited experience, seems to be much more responsive to Sony TOS violations than ZoS is to ZoS TOS violations. And while a successful complaint to ZoS bars a violator from playing ESO... if you get someone kicked from PSN, you get them kicked from all games requiring PSN to play.

If snarky messages from their friends are to be believed, I've successfully kicked at least two Playstation owners off PSN. :)
  • bzz86
    bzz86
    ✭✭✭✭
    Shantu wrote: »
    While I agree this type of behavior is abhorrent (and even a bannable offense), I wouldn't invest much time getting upset with ZOS. I used to report this type of nonsense, but it's endless. Personally, I just make a statement that what's happening is unacceptable, block, and immediately leave. I would not have done anything with that group after the very first insult. Let THEM endure the consequences of their behavior.

To say "don't pug and only run with guild members" is getting to be a cliche, but it does solve 99% of the problem.

And this is probably the unfortunate route people go to cause there is not enough done. I will eventually have to do the same. It is a real shame, cause I do enjoy playing with people I do not know that can behave. People do not care much about the fact that you left the group cause they just get replacement. I have no idea how things can be addressed, but leaving it alone and moving on does not seem like a fix, more like 'it will never stop so move on'.
  • Starlock
    Starlock
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well - yes. I get what you say and completely understand you point of view. I would like to see some more transparency in at least a general way of how these things are being taken care off.

It's an understandable request. There isn't much transparency about the process. Is it handled by consensus of a certain number of individuals? What's the average turnaround time for reports? Wouldn't have to be details, just a little bit of info. Gods know I would like to hear something from Zenimax about the botting situation. Urgh. Bots.