Maintenance for the week of September 9:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 9

Are the megaservers holding the game back?

• Ace_SiN
    Ace_SiN
    ✭✭✭✭
    No, keep the two megaservers per platform
    MegaServer tech future proofs any MMO. ESO would have had a rough time surviving, years ago, if there were multiple servers because the "game is dying" plague would have inevitably set in. This would result in more people quitting due to the lack of population and the rest asking for server merges. Look at the entire history of MMOs for proof of my claim. One thing in ESO's favor is that no matter how bad of a state it's been in there were still people to enjoy the game with without needing to be in a guild.

The issue isn't that ESO is using a MegaServer. The issue probably lies with the fact that this game was built on one of the worst engines ever. When I learned that ESO was using the same foundation as SWTOR for its MMO, I already knew there would be huge performance issues. Sure they claim that they modified it, but so did SWTOR..
    King of Beasts

• FlyingSwan
    FlyingSwan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other
    Sylvermynx wrote: »
    Personal opinion incoming: I don't want to play a game on a "cloud platform". I don't do anything on a cloud platform, as I have some really bad feelings about privacy and especially data breach.

Ugh. Not interested.

This is an outdated view. A correctly architected cloud solution can be at least as secure as non-cloud. In fact, the policy-based security, open security frameworks (CSA etc.), 'assume breach' posture, and the massive public scrutiny of public cloud providers (where one little slip up makes the press and signals the end of the provider), means cloud datacentres are run far more securely, and far more transparently, than legacy datacentres. e.g. Microsoft spends millions every month red-teaming, something you rarely see in legacy datacentres.

We even have customers with life critical systems using cloud components now (aviation, military, health), plus banks etc. I guarantee you that large amounts of your own data, including health and financial, are stored and processed by cloud services every minute of the day, a fantasy game is the least of it.

But no, it would not help ESO performance. Cloud is a service model designed to increase business agility and transfer risk, whilst the elasticity can provide performance very rapidly to cater for spikes, it's not inherently faster than a properly scaled legacy solution. It also would very likely have a higher TCO than ZOS' on-prem platform.
  • Ydrisselle
    Ydrisselle
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Raudgrani wrote: »
    They really should merge EU/NA on all platforms. All technicalities aside, imagine the increase in active players, guilds, sellers in traders and everything.

It would also increase the lag for a lot of people. Although the current EU Megaservers are in a bad shape already for this...
  • Sylvermynx
    Sylvermynx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are already way too many people in Vivec City on PC/NA. WAY too many. No, it doesn't affect what I can do, I don't have further mega-lag because of it - but it's annoying. There's always at least 10 bears/flappies etc. in the way at crafting stations and writ turn in.... and many times, twice or thrice that.

Nope. Not interested in merges.
  • LadyLethalla
    LadyLethalla
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, replace the two megaservers per platform with more distributed servers
    There is a PC-only ESO server in Japan, is there not, requiring a Japanese IP? Why not expand that to include non-Japanese IP players, on all platforms? Surely it couldn't be that difficult.
    x-TallyCat-x // PC EU DC - For the Covenant! // ESO Platinum trophy - 16th May 2017.
    Melbourne Australia - the land of Potato Internet.WTB ESO OCEANIC SERVER
  • zyk
    zyk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, keep the two megaservers per platform
    There is a PC-only ESO server in Japan, is there not, requiring a Japanese IP? Why not expand that to include non-Japanese IP players, on all platforms? Surely it couldn't be that difficult.
    There's a Japanese client, but I do not believe there's a Japanese megaserver. They play on PC/NA.
  • Anhedonie
    Anhedonie
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Other
    Tbh I just prefer WOW's system. You still can coop for quests, do dungeons and battlegrouds with people from other servers, while having low ping (around 30).
    Profanity filter is a crime against the freedom of speech. Also gags.
  • Banana
    Banana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, replace the two megaservers per platform with more distributed servers
    If you live outside of america and europe you could say yes. *** ping for us all.
  • Anhedonie
    Anhedonie
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Other
    Banana wrote: »
    If you live outside of america and europe you could say yes. *** ping for us all.

I live not too far away from EU megaserver and still have 120 ping. It's not like EU has it easy.
    Profanity filter is a crime against the freedom of speech. Also gags.