Maintenance for the week of September 16:
• [IN PROGRESS] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – September 16, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) – 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – September 18, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – September 18, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Are the megaservers holding the game back?

Suddwrath
Suddwrath
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭
Currently, there are only two megaservers per platform: NA and EU. Which means regardless of where you live in the world you can only connect to one of these two megaservers. While a novel idea at launch, do you think this design may be holding the game back from a performance standpoint? Obviously, someone in Australia is not going to have the same experience as someone in Texas despite both players playing on the same server.

Do you think it is time for the megaservers to be retired and replaced with more distributed, localized servers (West NA, East NA, Oceanic, West EU, etc)?

Are the megaservers holding the game back? 211 votes

Yes, replace the two megaservers per platform with more distributed servers
34%
fastolfv_ESOGilvothSuddwrathOthniel327Nebthet78everlastingodeb17_ESOAektannShady_KnightsJerdehRockettIdinuseJackDaniellAhPook_Is_HereStreegaandreasvAsysmmtaniacAmphithoeRi_KhanGrynexx 73 votes
No, keep the two megaservers per platform
57%
NestorTabbycatTheWhitePhoenixtheyanceyBigBraggotis67kypranb14_ESOrussb7b14_ESODominoidxaraanNemesis7884OrillionCyberOnEsovictory.immortalb16_ESOSkayaqkwisatzAsha_11_ESOidkJoker99Sheezabeast 122 votes
Other
7%
DraxysrootimusAnhedonieRex-Umbrapod88kkDankstaFraterrusselmmendozaSoundwaveSeraphayeleso_lagsFlyingSwanJamelielmoses1763akillerninja6Grandma 16 votes
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thing to understand about the MegaServers, they can increase in capacity in relation to the populations. AWS is the hosting center and their nom de plume is scalable server platforms.

Back at launch, the zones were jammed with players and PvP campaigns were packed. Performance was fine although even then people grumbled about PvP performance, it was much better than now.

Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• ArchangelIsraphel
    ArchangelIsraphel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I think splitting the population, especially halving NA as "west" and "east" is a terrible idea- games that have done this usually end up merging these servers in the long run because the population on either one is never big enough, and people are inconvenienced by needing to play/level/make purchases on the other server just to be with their friends on the other side of the country. It's really bad enough that my NA purchases don't count on the EU server even though it's the same account...we really don't need more splitting between servers.
    Legends never die
    They're written down in eternity
    But you'll never see the price it costs
    The scars collected all their lives
    When everything's lost, they pick up their hearts and avenge defeat
    Before it all starts, they suffer through harm just to touch a dream
    Oh, pick yourself up, 'cause
    Legends never die
  • Mr_Walker
    Mr_Walker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Nestor wrote: »
    Thing to understand about the MegaServers, they can increase in capacity in relation to the populations. AWS is the hosting center and their nom de plume is scalable server platforms.

Back at launch, the zones were jammed with players and PvP campaigns were packed. Performance was fine although even then people grumbled about PvP performance, it was much better than now.

Whilst I say no, you misunderstand the issue here. As an Aussie, I have to be quicker and better than someone living "locally" to a server, just because of distance latency. Nothing to do with scalablity.
  • Tandor
    Tandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If the number of players in that region justified an Oceanic megaserver then that would be one thing, but I don't see the justification for the whole server structure being changed. A megaserver is actually a cluster of servers in effect and can be added to as needed. Regardless of the nature of the server structure those on the other side of the world are always going to struggle performance-wise unless they have their own regional server structure - and given that the game's population is split between three platforms which would therefore necessitate three new megaservers I doubt it would be remotely viable to create additional regional megaservers, much tho' I appreciate the problems experienced by Australasian players.
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mr_Walker wrote: »
    Nestor wrote: »

Whilst I say no, you misunderstand the issue here. As an Aussie, I have to be quicker and better than someone living "locally" to a server, just because of distance latency. Nothing to do with scalablity.

@Mr_Walker

An Oceanic Mega Server is an entirely different issue. One I agree needs to be implemented. Of course where to put it is a big part of the discussion.
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• Wildberryjack
    Wildberryjack
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    All I can think of here is how WoW has maybe 100 servers and they're all dead. They had to do sharding and cross realm so you actually saw another player when you were out questing or whatever. So, no thanks. The fewer servers the better, don't spread everyone out.
    The purpose of art is washing the dust of daily life off our souls. ~Pablo Picasso
  • Seraphayel
    Seraphayel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other
    I'd really like to know what's "mega" about the servers.

Guild Wars 2 has applied a very similar system and their servers seem to be a million times better than ESO's.
    PS5
    EU
    Aldmeri Dominion
    - Khajiit Arcanist -
  • Mintaka5
    Mintaka5
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Outdated game networking. Most new MMO games are all building around AWS (or whatever distributed cloud service). ZOS is making money, so why aren't they reinvesting it into their server infrastructure? Answer: GREED!
    Edited by Mintaka5 on February 21, 2019 9:21PM
  • Gythral
    Gythral
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Seraphayel wrote: »

.../quote]

the lag....
    “Be as a tower, that, firmly set,
    Shakes not its top for any blast that blows!”
    Dante Alighieri, The Divine Comedy
  • victory.immortalb16_ESO

Guild Wars 2 has applied a very similar system and their servers seem to be a million times better than ESO's.

Until you actually try and have a few dozen people all fighting each other in the same area, then the lag is legendary.
  • eso_lags
    eso_lags
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Other

Until you actually try and have a few dozen people all fighting each other in the same area, then the lag is legendary.

In my experience in large gw2 battles the performance is a million times better than eso. On my old PC it could get bad, on my newer PC its fine. So I dont think its the server. As for ESO I noticed very little change but im guessing its because gw2 is more demanding.

Eso is just terrible. Terrible when a ton of people get in one zone together, like cyrodil, and terrible at all times in vivec. No matter where you are in vivec you are most likely lagging, and if its a big fight good luck.

Anyway, I dont think splitting people up is a great idea, unless its a region of the world that needs it because of performance issues playing on the other servers. I say this because, as a pvp player, only one campaign (on xbox) is populated. The rest are usually dead. I feel like splitting people up would make that even worse.

But I also think eso has a serious server issues. I cant think of any other reason performance would be so bad, compared to similar games, when a lot of people are in one zone. The point of pvp was large scale battles, but if you go and try to do that you are met with unplayable lag. Thats an issue from the core of this game. But it also depends on the amount of players in that campaign. 50v50 in vivec is not the same as 50v50 in shor. There will be lag, for sure, but one is worse. Something needs to be done, idk what though.

• Billdor
    Billdor
    ✭✭✭✭
    Mintaka5 wrote: »
    Outdated game networking. Most new MMO games are all building around AWS. ZOS is making money, so why aren't they reinvesting it into their server infrastructure? Answer: GREED!

As someone who works in IT, I'd like to see you come up with:

A) A source of their server infrastructure.
    B. A business case for cloud bursting.
    C) Your qualifcation in Cloud Computer (AWS, Azure, etc) to show you aren't chatting ***.

Thanks.
    Edited by Billdor on February 21, 2019 9:10PM
  • Starlock
    Starlock
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Considering all of our characters and most crown store purchases are married to the server?

Under absolutely no circumstances should any changes to this infrastructure be done unless we are guaranteed our purchases and characters transfer over to new servers.
  • Mintaka5
    Mintaka5
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Billdor wrote: »
    Outdated game networking. Most new MMO games are all building around AWS. ZOS is making money, so why aren't they reinvesting it into their server infrastructure? Answer: GREED!

C) Your qualifcation in Cloud Computer (AWS, Azure, etc) to show you aren't chatting ***.

Thanks.

This is an open forum. I don't have to present my credentials to you or any other casual person wanting to discuss this game's infrastructure. If you are going to counter my argument you better come at me with a better attempt, other than character assassination.

UPDATE:

Now that I thought this over, I thought I'd better explain why the megaserver holds this game back in the frame of an article I read years ago about a guy who decided that mining bitcoin on his own hardware was a waste of time, money and resources, and when he gained access to AWS in it's early stages he could dynamically spin up 100s of servers, to handle all the processing virtually, and didn't spend a dime by exploiting free tier services. If ZOS cannot see the financial and long-term benefits of escaping early 2000 tech infrastructure, then the game deserves to be held back.
    Edited by Mintaka5 on February 21, 2019 10:00PM
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I actually wish the opposite. I wish they could reduce the number of megaservers by merging NA and EU together on all platforms.
    ESO Plus: No
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • nafensoriel
    nafensoriel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Outdated game networking. Most new MMO games are all building around AWS (or whatever distributed cloud service). ZOS is making money, so why aren't they reinvesting it into their server infrastructure? Answer: GREED!

What do you think a megaserver is? The only difference between a cloud server and a megaserver is where it is located. Functionally they are identical.
  • Shantu
    Shantu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    The issue is much more complex than breaking up a megaserver structure. The Internet was created based on the principle of a path of least resistance. This way if part of the structure fails, connections are automatically re-routed to maintain the integrity of the whole. It's not like any one connection to the megaservers is always constant and follows the same route as though you were hardwired directly. Your connection is a fluid and constantly changing path of least resistance. Sometimes this path produces lag. This is the main reason you see constant fluctuations in your ping value. That's not to say there aren't issues with the game servers that can't be improved. But the issue is much more complex than putting all blame on a single structures of servers. It's actually a technical marvel that online gaming, particularly one with the graphic complexity of ESO, works as well as it does.
  • Myrkgrav
    Myrkgrav
    ✭✭✭✭
    I personally don't like when a game has a million servers. IMO, having one or two servers makes a world feel actually alive and real because there's always tons of people around. Then if you have friends in one server you gotta swap over to another blah blah it's a PITA. I get the issue with latency but I guess that kind of comes with living in the middle of the ocean.
    Morty | ♂ | @morti_macabre | PC NA | EST
    Member of Knights of the Sanguine, Sheogorath's Mortals & Sword Coast Traders
  • AhPook_Is_Here
    AhPook_Is_Here
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't know what these things are but my favorite color is red.
    “Whatever.”
    -Unknown American
  • lokulin
    lokulin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Saying yes because there is no technical reason you you can't do things like instance four Australian players in to a vDSA hosted out of Sydney while still being connected to the NA megaserver. It would also be technically possible to merge all account, chat, grouping, trade functionality across regions and platforms while still having regionally instanced zones and PvP.

I doubt it would ever happen tho as the design decisions they have made regarding platform and region splits is one that would be very hard and costly to undo.
    Edited by lokulin on February 22, 2019 12:43AM
    I've hidden your signature.
  • Draxys
    Draxys
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Other
    IMO it’s their management of it and resources dedicated to it. It worked fine at launch. Pvp doesn’t lag nearly as badly during a more highly populated event. As with most things in a company, it comes down to good or bad leadership and management.

rip decibel
  • Apox
    Apox
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, the issue isnt server capacity, it's location and ping to/from the server. People far away from the server simply cant compete on the level of optimization as those who live in the same area. when it comes to combat intricacies, the difference between 20 and 120 ping is absolutely massive.

If you said "120 ping shouldnt matter that much" in a game like wow or ffxiv, id be inclined to agree, but in eso with action combat and animation canceling, playing at 100+ ping feels pretty poor.
  • zyk
    zyk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Megaserver concept is a zillion times better than what we used to have with MMOs with servers opening, closing and merging constantly according to population fluctuations.

I think that if ESO was more popular, it would surely have more regional servers, but if anything I think some platform mergers are more likely to happen.
  • rabidmyers
    rabidmyers
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    no
    at a place nobody knows
  • russelmmendoza
    russelmmendoza
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other
    North and south server, lol.
  • eso_lags
    eso_lags
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Other

Thanks.

A) The source is the broom closet in the bathroom at zenimax HQ.
    B....... My buisiness case for cloud bursting is that if its better for the customers then whatever the hell theyre doing now, which isnt working at all, then DO IT.
    C) My qualification is that I am an avid roleplayer in the elder scrolls online who cant fulfill my roleplay dreams because the server is ***. Thats all the qualification I need.
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    eso_lags wrote: »

Thanks.

A) The source is the broom closet in the bathroom at zenimax HQ.
    B....... My buisiness case for cloud bursting is that if its better for the customers then whatever the hell theyre doing now, which isnt working at all, then DO IT.
    C) My qualification is that I am an avid roleplayer in the elder scrolls online who cant fulfill my roleplay dreams because the server is ***. Thats all the qualification I need.

I heard from the second assistant to the weekend janitor that... oh, I wasn't supposed to talk about that. :smile:

Like many computing technologies, cloud makes sense for some things, including some games, but not other things. There is a point where things can scale in a manner that cloud gets more complicated than on-prem. On-prem is not "outdated" when it is the best answer.

We have all had the opportunity to see pictures of the EU megaserver. Yes, the pictures are a couple years old, but they clearly show a very complex modern network of computers running this show. I assume they have been managing upgrades to the hardware in the time since those pictures were taken. This is not some Windows 95 potato sitting under Rich's desk at the office.

In my mind, a move to the cloud would be gaining significant lowering of internet latency for some people while adding to the potential for performance loss and disruption for everyone due to additional complexity.

(Edit: and this is one reason why I would like to see the NA and EU servers merged at a single location)
    Edited by Elsonso on February 22, 2019 11:06AM
    ESO Plus: No
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • Suddwrath
    Suddwrath
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    This is not some Windows 95 potato sitting under Rich's desk at the office.

Technically true. They are currently in the process of upgrading the operating systems, so now it is Windows XP ;)
  • danno8
    danno8
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

GW2 has separate servers. Jade Quarry, Black gate etc... And if you get a three way 60*60*60 fight going anywhere in PvP you will get the exact same crippling lag as every other game on the market.

GW2 absolutely shines in how it rolls out updates and patches though. Zero server downtime, just have to restart your client within the next couple hours at your leisure.

Edit: Also to note, ESO has the unfortunate problem that skills in this game have no cool downs. That means spamming calculation intensive AoE damage, healing and utility skills happen at a much higher rate than other games on the market that do have cool downs.

People look back at beta and are at awe at how well the game runs. Well in large part that is because people didn't have the widespread knowledge that bunching together and spam casting AoEs is by far the most efficient use of resources. As soon as Impulse+Healing Spring spam became widespread we started to see some pretty serious lag.

Edited by danno8 on February 22, 2019 1:39PM
  • Billdor
    Billdor
    ✭✭✭✭

Thanks.

This is an open forum. I don't have to present my credentials to you or any other casual person wanting to discuss this game's infrastructure. If you are going to counter my argument you better come at me with a better attempt, other than character assassination.

UPDATE:

Now that I thought this over, I thought I'd better explain why the megaserver holds this game back in the frame of an article I read years ago about a guy who decided that mining bitcoin on his own hardware was a waste of time, money and resources, and when he gained access to AWS in it's early stages he could dynamically spin up 100s of servers, to handle all the processing virtually, and didn't spend a dime by exploiting free tier services. If ZOS cannot see the financial and long-term benefits of escaping early 2000 tech infrastructure, then the game deserves to be held back.

My thoughts exactly, you know nothing.

Good Day.
    Edited by Billdor on February 22, 2019 4:59PM