Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Has Anyone Tested the Updated Sentry Set?

GrumpyDuckling
GrumpyDuckling
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭
On console here, so I can't test. I'm wondering specifically about these three questions:

Does it detect both sneaking and cloaked enemies?
Does the 30 second cooldown have any visual cue so you know when it's back up?
How is the range?

Sentry
(2 items) Adds 1096 Max Stamina
(3 items) Adds 129 Weapon Damage
(4 items) Adds 833 Weapon Critical
(5 items) Adds 129 Weapon Damage
(5 items) When you begin to crouch, gain Stealth Detection for 10 seconds. This effect can only be activated every 30 seconds.

Edit: For accuracy -- I originally missed the 5 piece bonus of weapon damage.
Edited by GrumpyDuckling on February 21, 2019 1:25PM
  • Left4Daud
    Left4Daud
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @GrumpyDuckling ,

I tried to do some testing on this set for you but it was limited. I won't be able to answer most of your questions with absolute certainty, because I didn't actually have another player to test with. Still, I believe I can offer you some additional information and reasonable assumptions based on other in-game mechanics.

First I'd like to point out that Sentry has an additional 5 piece set bonus.

Sentry
    (2 items) Adds 1096 Max Stamina
    (3 items) Adds 129 Weapon Damage
    (4 items) Adds 833 Weapon Critical
    (5 items) Adds 129 Weapon Damage
    (5 items) When you begin to crouch, gain Stealth Detection for 10 seconds. This effect can only be activated every 30 seconds.

Now in regards to your specific questions:

Most likely. The buff seems to be exactly the same as the Detection buff you can get from alchemy and therefore would be able to reveal both enemies that are sneaking in stealth, and invisibility.

Yes. The active buff has a visual cue which gives your character blue eye beams and a purple head aura, as well as the standard red eye icon of other stealth detect abilities like magelight. This buff is labeled as "Sentry" and also appears in the character sheet, as well as the in-game buff tracker. The debuff / cooldown effect does not have a visual cue (once the eyes and aura fades your character just looks normal), but it still has an icon that appears in the character sheet, and can be tracked/timed with the in-game buff tracker. This debuff is labeled as "Exhausted Sentry." See the screenshots below for any needed clarity.

How is the range?

Most likely 20 meters. Again I wasn't actually able to test this with another player and unfortunately there aren't many sneaking enemies in PVE (though ZOS seems to think otherwise lol), so I have to assume it functions with the same potency as the detection alchemical effect.

Online:Detection

I'm not sure how this bonus potentially stacks, overwrites or conflicts with the Detection Pots/Poisons, the Hunter's Eye passive, or the Way of the Air set bonuses, which all offer similar / additional sources of stealth detection.

I wish my testing could have provided more concrete answers, but I hope you'll be able to glean something from this.

Character Sheet Buff / Visual Cue

upKCg6i.jpg

In game buff icon / Visual Cues

5SsRimu.jpg

Exhausted Sentry Debuff Icon / Tracker

pzuCyeX.jpg
  • GrumpyDuckling
    GrumpyDuckling
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    @Left4Daud

Thank you for the information, and especially for taking the time to post screenshots as well. They are very informative and seeing how the set works has me excited about actually using it as a back bar option against Nightblades.

I'm glad that you also mentioned the Way of the Air set and the Hunter's Eye passive because if their detection radius bonuses aid Sentry detection, then that will be a really interesting potential build with Bosmer without having to burn through potions. Bosmer might actually feel like Hunters in the way that ZOS originally described them in the racial updates.
  • jaime1982
    jaime1982
    ✭✭✭✭
    Nbs will cry
  • Cundu_Ertur
    Cundu_Ertur
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Does the effect end if you stand up, or do you have to stay crouched?
    Taking stealth away from the Bosmer is like taking magic away from the Altmer, making Nords allergic to mead, or making Orcs pretty.
  • Left4Daud
    Left4Daud
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Does the effect end if you stand up, or do you have to stay crouched?

@Cundu_Ertur

No, standing up does not remove the effect. Actually what you can do is sprint cancel crouch to toggle the Sentry buff while mostly maintaining mobility.

Tapping crouch is all you need to do to activate the buff, you can do whatever you want after that for 9.5 seconds, and then when the buff expires there will be 20 seconds of exhaustion noted by the images above.
  • Left4Daud
    Left4Daud
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    jaime1982 wrote: »
    Nbs will cry

It depends on the actual radius, which might be less than Detect pots. I'm not sure I wasn't able to get that exact information. While it does specifically counter Nightblades, all classes can sneak and use invis pots which this set will counter as well.

It's kinda like the other 5 piece sets that trade that 5th item bonus for a buff you can (usually) easily get elsewhere through potions or skills. Like Toothrow, Dreugh King Slayer, and Rattlecage.

Interested to see how it plays out on live and if the set gains popularity.
  • RaddlemanNumber7
    RaddlemanNumber7
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Nbs will cry

NB's will kill the people with glowy blue eyes first.
    PC EU
  • Left4Daud
    Left4Daud
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nbs will cry

NB's will kill the people with glowy blue eyes first.

Unless that person with the glowy blue eyes is a NB tank with piercing mark and hindering/reveal poisons :trollface:
  • ZakMcKracken
    ZakMcKracken
    Soul Shriven
    *creates NB hunter build in his mind*
    Hm, cloaking NB with sentry up?
  • Left4Daud
    Left4Daud
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I’m excited to try this set out on Live and I’ll post any new information if no one else does.

This might be like Shieldbreaker but for Nightblades. If so, oh boy.

I mean this 5pc set bonus has to offer something. If it’s worse than Detect Pots / just as strong as radiant magelight then this set will be dead on arrival.
  • ATomiX96
    ATomiX96
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sentry wont see barely any use, there are just too many other good sets out there and investing 5 pieces for stealth detection definitly doesnt seem like its worth it. If it was a 3 piece set or a monster set it would maybe see some use, but not as a full fledged 5 piece set.
  • Left4Daud
    Left4Daud
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @GrumpyDuckling

Just got to test this set out on Live and it is really nice imo. I can better answer your questions now based on my direct gameplay experience.

Yes. There was a player stealthing via crouch near a siege weapon that when I popped my Sentry buff, became revealed. I have also killed multiple Nightblades trying to cloak away, as the Sentry set now provides “Truesight” and you can target invisible enemies while the set buff is active.

Yup. Was able to fully answer this before and the answer is still the same.

How is the range?

My assumption was correct, the range seems to be around 20 meters which is awesome. I saw a NB fail a gank and try to flee away with cloak, I popped Sentry and they were already far away from me but I could see them clear as day spamming cloak and trying to run away. Thanks to Sentry I was able to target this player from max range with Stampede (20-22 meters), close the distance, and secure the kill. The guy probably thought I was cheating.

The range of Truesight on this set is colossal.

So yeah, what Shieldbreaker is to Sorcs, this set is to Nightblades imo.

Edited by Left4Daud on February 25, 2019 6:35PM
  • GrumpyDuckling
    GrumpyDuckling
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Left4Daud wrote: »
    @GrumpyDuckling

Just got to test this set out on Live and it is really nice imo. I can better answer your questions now based on my direct gameplay experience.

Yes. There was a player stealthing via crouch near a siege weapon that when I popped my Sentry buff, became revealed. I have also killed multiple Nightblades trying to cloak away, as the Sentry set now provides “Truesight” and you can target invisible enemies while the set buff is active.

Yup. Was able to fully answer this before and the answer is still the same.

How is the range?

My assumption was correct, the range seems to be around 20 meters which is awesome. I saw a NB fail a gank and try to flee away with cloak, I popped Sentry and they were already far away from me but I could see them clear as day spamming cloak and trying to run away. Thanks to Sentry I was able to target this player from max range with Stampede (20-22 meters), close the distance, and secure the kill. The guy probably thought I was cheating.

The range of Truesight on this set is colossal.

So yeah, what Shieldbreaker is to Sorcs, this set is to Nightblades imo.

Wow, this set is going to be a lot of fun. I didn't run into many people discussing the Sentry change, so it might be the most underrated set that drops with Wrathstone.

Thanks for the update, @Left4Daud
  • Joosef_Kivikilpi
    Joosef_Kivikilpi
    ✭✭✭✭
    The real question is if Jorvuld's Guidance buffs the duration of the buff given by the set... Haha! But for reals...

If anyone else complains about Nightblades now, I'm gonn' flip a table. Add yet another extreme counter to our Shadow Cloak. Haha
  • WhyMustItBe
    WhyMustItBe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This set does not appear to be available in any of the gear boxes you get on a template PTS character... Unless I am just missing it somewhere?
  • Left4Daud
    Left4Daud
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Joosef_Kivikilpi

Jorvulds does NOT increase the duration of the effect from this set because Detection is not a "major" buff. I tested this on the PTS.

@WhyMustItBe

You cannot test this set on the PTS without going to your alliance controlled Bruma and buying random Sentry boxes from the NPC with AP.

@GrumpyDuckling

Yea this set is a lot of fun. It definitely has it's drawbacks though. Crouch as an activator can be a little clunky, especially with lag. Also once the effect is down the 20 second downtime gives Nightblades plenty of time to re-assess, retaliate and re-engage. Also while the Sentry buff is active, your character has very visible cues as I noted above in the images. Even though you can see and target invisible Nightblades, they can still use cloak to force miss your attacks, which you can see in my image below. So Nightblades have plenty of options against this set in my opinion.

Check out this image for an idea of the range. I had just walked through the front door of this keep with the Sentry buff active and was able to see a NB using cloak to crit with Lethal Arrows. This image DOES NOT do the range of the Truesight on this set justice. You can almost see cloaking enemies as far as players can even render, or at least it feels like it.

Go out there and grab the new Sentry set people! It's a lot of fun.

xB4tS5X.jpg

Edit: Even though my first shot / DOT missed this cloaking Nightblade, the Sentry set allowed me to continue pressuring them, hit them and ultimately kill them from a distance with another poison injection and a reflected snipe back at them. The Nightblade returned later and ganked me when the buff was down so I think all is fair.

Edited by Left4Daud on February 25, 2019 8:48PM
  • Joosef_Kivikilpi
    Joosef_Kivikilpi
    ✭✭✭✭
    Left4Daud wrote: »
    @Joosef_Kivikilpi

Jorvulds does NOT increase the duration of the effect from this set because Detection is not a "major" buff. I tested this on the PTS.

@WhyMustItBe

You cannot test this set on the PTS without going to your alliance controlled Bruma and buying random Sentry boxes from the NPC with AP.

@GrumpyDuckling

Yea this set is a lot of fun. It definitely has it's drawbacks though. Crouch as an activator can be a little clunky, especially with lag. Also once the effect is down the 20 second downtime gives Nightblades plenty of time to re-assess, retaliate and re-engage. Also while the Sentry buff is active, your character has very visible cues as I noted above in the images. Even though you can see and target invisible Nightblades, they can still use cloak to force miss your attacks, which you can see in my image below. So Nightblades have plenty of options against this set in my opinion.

Check out this image for an idea of the range. I had just walked through the front door of this keep with the Sentry buff active and was able to see a NB using cloak to crit with Lethal Arrows. This image DOES NOT do the range of the Truesight on this set justice. You can almost see cloaking enemies as far as players can even render, or at least it feels like it.

Go out there and grab the new Sentry set people! It's a lot of fun.

xB4tS5X.jpg

Edit: Even though my first shot / DOT missed this cloaking Nightblade, the Sentry set allowed me to continue pressuring them, hit them and ultimately kill them from a distance with another poison injection and a reflected snipe back at them. The Nightblade returned later and ganked me when the buff was down so I think all is fair.

The hero we need, but don't deserve.
  • MartiniDaniels
    MartiniDaniels
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This set is reason why bosmer received their passives.. it's like double hit on gankers - strip them of increased damage from stealth and turn them to be anti-snipe rollblades.
    I'm not sure why ZOS used that weapon crit bonus tho.. they may give another stamina or penetration instead..
    Good thing is that despite potions/slottables which do the same, wearing this set frees one slot on bar.