The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Should ZOS rework character animations and "weaving" in game?

• usmcjdking
    usmcjdking
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    The only depth that weaving provides in this game is making S&B LA-Ransack/Low Lash-Bash in PVP work.

Otherewise it's a design decision that has been poorly built upon. LA weaving was never hard, especially with how macro heavy a lot of PVErs are these days. Medium weaving days were where you would separate the good from the great. But medium weaving is dead af.
    Edited by usmcjdking on February 8, 2019 9:19PM
  • leeux
    leeux
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, character animations are really bad and weaving makes game worse
    I like weaving myself, but I think the game does a really bad job at implementing it.

The animations lock constantly and abilities don't often fire (when playing with PR >250) and bar swapping in a heavy combat situation is unresponsive.

To really embrace weaving and make it part of the core game they NEED to elevate it to a state where proper weaving performance becomes independent of latency and never locks you up, and they need to redo the animations and abilities so they are smooth, with weavng in mind.

As an example: Elemental Weapon is the worst animation for weaving ever, and they did it just recently even knowing how people have to weave to do DPS. It constantly locks and LA don't fire (under heavy combat where everything lags) and it just becomes a magicka waste, to the point that I'm sure I'd be better using Force Pulse in the end.
    PC/NA - Proud old member of the Antique Ordinatus Populus

My chars
    Liana Amnell (AD mSorc L50+, ex EP) =x= Lehnnan Klennett (AD mTemplar L50+ Healer/Support ) =x= Ethim Amnell (AD mDK L50+, ex DC)
    Leinwyn Valaene (AD mSorc L50+) =x= Levus Artorias (AD mDK-for-now L50+) =x= Madril Ulessen (AD mNB L50+) =x= Lyra Amnis (AD not-Stamplar-yet L50+)
    I only PvP on AD chars

~~ «And blossoms anew beneath tomorrow's sun >>»
    ~~ «I am forever swimming around, amidst this ocean world we call home... >>»
    ~~ "Let strength be granted so the world might be mended... so the world might be mended."
    ~~ "Slash the silver chain that binds thee to life"
    ~~ Our cries will shrill, the air will moan and crash into the dawn. >>
    ~~ The sands of time were eroded by the river of constant change >>
  • ccmedaddy
    ccmedaddy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I don't mind light attack weaving but some of the animations in this game are too clunky and don't fit in with the fast-paced nature of the combat in this game.
  • Ranger209
    Ranger209
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are animations that work kind of clunky and throw off your weaving rhythm. Well it may not be the animations, but rather the ground targeting system. Things like hail, caltrops, liquid lightning, and such seem to get hung up sometimes.
  • exeeter702
    exeeter702
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Stx wrote: »
    Animation cancelling is literally an unintended glitch/exploit/whatever.

Using light or heavy attacks should be a choice, not a necessity to weave in. You should use light attacks when you need quick damage that costs no resources, and heavy attacks when you need to regenerate resources or hit hard without using resources. The way it currently is, there is no choice or strategy, just a rotation.

I doubt it will ever change though, zos has latched onto this bug over the years and even catered to it.

The least they could do is fix the animations, I hate the way my character looks while animation cancelling.

How the *** did this get 3 agrees.
  • jcm2606
    jcm2606
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I don't get this thread. Are you advocating for the removal of weaving, or are you advocating for a rework of the animation system? Your thread suggests the latter, but your poll suggests the former.

I like weaving as it is, but I do think the animation system needs an upgrade. Moving over to an IK system would be beneficial as not only would it result in smoother animations and blending between animations, but it would open the doors to more environmentally aware animations with minimal performance cost, and it makes the animation team's job much easier.

Since I don't see an option for that, for leaving weaving as a mechanic in place but reworking the animation system, I can't vote.
  • xMovingTarget
    xMovingTarget
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Other

Give back pre update 6 light/heavy attack animations and I am happy. They were so much better then what we have now. It looked more natural. And weaving was easier aswell. Without your character looking like an autistic dance.
  • Kewpie
    Kewpie
    jcm2606 wrote: »
    I don't get this thread. Are you advocating for the removal of weaving, or are you advocating for a rework of the animation system? Your thread suggests the latter, but your poll suggests the former.

I like weaving as it is, but I do think the animation system needs an upgrade. Moving over to an IK system would be beneficial as not only would it result in smoother animations and blending between animations, but it would open the doors to more environmentally aware animations with minimal performance cost, and it makes the animation team's job much easier.

Since I don't see an option for that, for leaving weaving as a mechanic in place but reworking the animation system, I can't vote.

Yea sorry, I cant change Poll. As I said before I like weaving as using LA between skills, but dont like how animations canceled and how character become clunky to respond weaving.
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think this is a rather moot point.

1. Zos seems to have decided several years ago to not change animations when they blessed animation canceling as part of the game.
    2. Zos blessed animation canceling as part of the game so it is officially part of combat.
    3. I think there are much more significant aspects of the game that Zos should focus on.
  • Kewpie
    Kewpie
    idk wrote: »
    I think this is a rather moot point.

1. Zos seems to have decided several years ago to not change animations when they blessed animation canceling as part of the game.
    2. Zos blessed animation canceling as part of the game so it is officially part of combat.
    3. I think there are much more significant aspects of the game that Zos should focus on.

As I said before some of people quit and dont start playing game cause of animations. As well as time is go on. Some devs quitting, some new hired. If you like to agree that that twitching *** is part of the game and combat, I can say that you think wrong. Exploits and glitches cant be a part of game,but Its part of bugs in game. They said it because they dont want to work with it or can't rework it. But its still a problem that will constantly emerge, no matter what they said, people are able to justify their mistakes.
    Edited by Kewpie on February 9, 2019 7:42AM
  • munster1404
    munster1404
    ✭✭✭
    I don't care, never thought about that
    Only because I'm a tank. I realised very early that I'm never going to be proficient in LA weaving and rotations. I tried for a long time and unfortunately, the only occasion when I can perform weaving consistently is when I used macros. So I converted half my characters to Tanks. And my remaining DDs became crafters.
  • deLioncourt
    deLioncourt
    ✭✭✭✭
    weaving in this game was not intended. it was a side effect of a garbage game engine and poor coding by Zenimax.

They attempted to fix it, realized they couldn't, and now it's a "feature"
  • Shantu
    Shantu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    weaving in this game was not intended. it was a side effect of a garbage game engine and poor coding by Zenimax.

"Weaving", per se, is not the issue. There's nothing wrong with weaving light attacks between skills. It's the canceling of animations that causes issues. Animation canceling shortens the time between the firing of successive skills and, therefore, allows you to maximize DPS. It also allows the exploit of fine tuning macros to optimize the effect consistently.

Animation canceling is here to stay. There is simply no way to get very high DPS values without it. After countless hours of practicing rotations, I use it myself now without thinking. Whether you choose to use it or not is up to you. But regardless, it's not going away.
  •  Jules
    Jules
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Neither of these options seem right.

Yes, animation cancelling and weaving is an important part of this game. Taking this away would be game breaking imo.
    No, it's not good in its current state - it was better before ZOS messed with it a few years ago. Now it is just choppy, rather than smoothly transitioning from skill to skill, your character starts doing the skill and then abruptly jerks and stops. Looks ugly, but I guess is better than the alternative.
    JULES | PC NA | ADAMANT

IGN- @Juies || Youtube || Twitch
    EP - Julianos . Jules . Family Jules . Jules of Misrule. Joy
    DC - Julsie . Jules . Jukes . Jojuji . Juliet . Jaded
    AD - Juice . Jubaited . Joules . Julmanji . Julogy . Jubroni . Ju Jitsu

Rest in Peace G & Yi
    Viva La Aristocracy
  • Kewpie
    Kewpie
    Jules wrote: »

Yes, animation cancelling and weaving is an important part of this game. Taking this away would be game breaking imo.
    No, it's not good in its current state - it was better before ZOS messed with it a few years ago. Now it is just choppy, rather than smoothly transitioning from skill to skill, your character starts doing the skill and then abruptly jerks and stops. Looks ugly, but I guess is better than the alternative.

Better than the alternative? What alternative? We haven't any... It will be better to cancel full skill animation, like it did weapon swap and block on some skills, than that what we have now. As for me they can just make gcd or something close to it, because we already have something like gcd on using skills, you cant do 2 skills in a 1 sec, weaving is all about that. Using LA between skill cooldowns.
  • Kewpie
    Kewpie
    Shantu wrote: »

"Weaving", per se, is not the issue. There's nothing wrong with weaving light attacks between skills. It's the canceling of animations that causes issues. Animation canceling shortens the time between the firing of successive skills and, therefore, allows you to maximize DPS. It also allows the exploit of fine tuning macros to optimize the effect consistently.

Animation canceling is here to stay. There is simply no way to get very high DPS values without it. After countless hours of practicing rotations, I use it myself now without thinking. Whether you choose to use it or not is up to you. But regardless, it's not going away.

Its not true information that they couldn't. We can say that they don't want to do it and maybe it requires a lot of time and resources to fix it.
    Abusing "glitch" mechanic is not a way to get very high dps values, its simple exploit. Think about that, when the game created without weaving as mechanic. Then some player found that glitch and become use it. After several reports they try to fix it and then said "Its a game feature". That is, the shortcomings of the development team become a feature of the game? How can you believe in that? Thats the way how politics works, they will always say what you want to hear.
  •  Jules
    Jules
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Kewpie wrote: »
    Jules wrote: »

Better than the alternative? What alternative?

Better than not being able to cancel at all.
    JULES | PC NA | ADAMANT

IGN- @Juies || Youtube || Twitch
    EP - Julianos . Jules . Family Jules . Jules of Misrule. Joy
    DC - Julsie . Jules . Jukes . Jojuji . Juliet . Jaded
    AD - Juice . Jubaited . Joules . Julmanji . Julogy . Jubroni . Ju Jitsu

Rest in Peace G & Yi
    Viva La Aristocracy