The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Should ZOS rework character animations and "weaving" in game?

Kewpie
Kewpie
Good evening folks!
What do you think about character animation in game?
I know a lot of people that started playing and made refund cause of bad animations. A lot of people did not play the game cause they think that character moves like a doll and doesn't move naturally.
As myself thinking weaving makes the game worse in that state.
I like using light attack between skills, its a great mechanic, but I don't like twitches and how some animations canceled.
So the poll is about animation and animation bugs.
For Yes I mean don't delete weaving mechanic, but rework the animations and how it will work with using LA between skills.
For No I mean that you agreed and like that glitches and twitching and can play as it is.
Please share your thoughts and stories.

For those who don't know what is weaving
Edited by Kewpie on February 9, 2019 7:25AM

Should ZOS rework character animations and "weaving" in game? 113 votes

Yes, character animations are really bad and weaving makes game worse
44%
MojmirStxdeLioncourtprofundidob16_ESOLordTareqNebthet78clocksstoppeAektannFeannagIdinusemknepflerleeuxCustos91ArcirisAmphithoeLord_WrathEdziuInvictusApolloPaganiniSugaComa 50 votes
No, animations are good and I like weaving
46%
Moloch1514Suddwrathxaraankickback120ub17_ESORavenSwornredspecter23ICrimsonInotimetocareOberon45Sanctum74RinOkumaraKr3dobardx86zykGrimsethAjax_22lassitershawnRaddlemanNumber7JinMoriQbiken 52 votes
I don't care, never thought about that
9%
TurelusAsha_11_ESOmunster1404MissNetoXI_Viper_IXovesselwiththepestleArtim_Xfrostyhobo47MartiniDanielsKilcosuFlares 11 votes
  • zvavi
    zvavi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    i am very sorry but the existence of weaving adds depth to the game imo. without it the "skill" needed to play will be lower.
  • Turelus
    Turelus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't personally care.

I don't like weaving because I have issues with it, but I don't care enough to champion for its removal.
    I would rather ZOS just not focus on building/balancing combat around animation cancelling but leave it in the game so combat flows smoothly and those who want to use it can.
    @Turelus - EU PC Megaserver
    "Don't count on others for help. In the end each of us is in this alone. The survivors are those who know how to look out for themselves."
  • Kewpie
    Kewpie
    zvavi wrote: »
    i am very sorry but the existence of weaving adds depth to the game imo. without it the "skill" needed to play will be lower.

I mean in that state weaving sucks cause you character moves like a stupid doll without natural movements. For example blocking after some skills looks really nice, but Lattack makes my char jerky
  • NBrookus
    NBrookus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    If you have looked at the increasing number of skills and sets that proc on light attacks, it seems unlikely this game mechanic will ever be removed.
  • Kewpie
    Kewpie
    NBrookus wrote: »
    If you have looked at the increasing number of skills and sets that proc on light attacks, it seems unlikely this game mechanic will ever be removed.

You guys dont understand what I mean. You think weaving is only using light attack between skills? Did you read full discription about it? Weaving as itslef - exploit, when you won a msec between using skills, won by dealing more dmg, cause animations are canceled. Its not AAA game mechanic its simple exploit found by players
  • Kewpie
    Kewpie
    NBrookus wrote: »

I want to use light attack all the time, but without these ridiculous twitches. That's what I mean by removing weaving and reworking animation.
  • Grianasteri
    Grianasteri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kewpie wrote: »
    Good evening folks!
    I know a lot of people that started playing and made refund cause of bad animations. A lot of people did not play the game cause they think that character moves like a doll and doesn't move naturally.
    As myself thinking weaving makes the game worse.

I cant vote because I dont agree with any of the statements.

I think character animations and weaving OK up to a point, but when it comes down to timing to cancel an animation and that affects DPS, I do not think thats a good mechanic.
  • Kewpie
    Kewpie
    Good evening folks!

I think character animations and weaving OK up to a point, but when it comes down to timing to cancel an animation and that affects DPS, I do not think thats a good mechanic.

Thank you.
    Did not find any edit buttons :(
  • Anoregon
    Anoregon
    ✭✭✭
    Good evening folks!

Yeah, that's kind of where I'm at. Weaving/animation cancelling is for better or worse a (if not the) core part of properly playing a DPS rotation in ESO. It's not something that regularly bothers me, but I don't think it's a very compelling thing to base high-level gameplay around.

I also know that it's far too baked into the game to ever have a chance of being removed, so it is what it is.
  • Kewpie
    Kewpie
    So I changed Poll question, Its all about reworking. As for me I can play as it is, with that twitches and etc. But I am thinking about newcomers, and people that never tried game.
  • SaintSubwayy
    SaintSubwayy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    could have voted yes, but it adds to the skillcap which is good imo
    PC EU
    vAA HM / vHRC HM / vSO HM / vMoL HM / vHoF HM / vAS HM / vCR HM / vSS HM / vKA HM

Flawless Conqueror / Immortal Redeemer / Dawnbringer / Griphon Heart / Master Angler / Spirit Slayer

• vesselwiththepestle
    vesselwiththepestle
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sure, they could change animations so they are not longer than the GCD. Then you couldn't animation cancel/weave, but you would keep the same speed as you can now with animation canceling. This would mean that light attacks wouldn't have an animation.

If you suggest playing the game on valium, super slow with animations so long you can drink a hot coffee while your heavy attack is finishing (as it would be if you keep animation length and just disable the possibility of weaving), I wouldn't like that.

Some animations don't look good, they could be changed. I hate using Crushing Weapon on 2H, for example. I don't like Destruction Staff Light Attacks either, but that's more because of the strange targeting and camera pov in this game. Many of my attacks go in the ground, because I like to look from above on my character to see what's happening and not have my character's back filling the screen :(.
    Edited by vesselwiththepestle on February 7, 2019 4:43PM
    1000+ CP
    PC/EU Ravenwatch Daggerfall Covenant

Give me my wings back!
  • JinMori
    JinMori
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Good evening folks!
    As myself thinking weaving makes the game worse in that state.
    I like using light attack between skills, its a great mechanic, but I don't like twitches and how some animations canceled.
    So the poll is about animation and animation bugs.

I said no, because admittedly i didn't read what you said, but having read it, id say there is nothing wrong in making better animations, but weaving should definitely stay.
  • Danksta
    Danksta
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I just wish there were animations every time I use a skill. As far as weaving is concerned, I think it's fine.
    BawKinTackWarDs PS4/NA

• Stx
    Stx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Animation cancelling is literally an unintended glitch/exploit/whatever.

Using light or heavy attacks should be a choice, not a necessity to weave in. You should use light attacks when you need quick damage that costs no resources, and heavy attacks when you need to regenerate resources or hit hard without using resources. The way it currently is, there is no choice or strategy, just a rotation.

I doubt it will ever change though, zos has latched onto this bug over the years and even catered to it.

The least they could do is fix the animations, I hate the way my character looks while animation cancelling.
  • Mintaka5
    Mintaka5
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Weaving is ***. I've practiced it and applied it, and it is not effective. I wish the devs would eliminate "brute premature loading of skills" (what it should be called). Why? So that this game would work, instead of the servers being *** by tons pre-loaded skill executions. Honestly I blame lag and server performance strictly on animation cancelling. Weaving is okay, but honestly it should not be tied to the rotation at all.
    Edited by Mintaka5 on February 7, 2019 5:36PM
  • Grimlok_S
    Grimlok_S
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Animations were never intended and are cheating!@! cancel all animations pls and thx
    Light Attack Hero

Class context
    Stamplar
    StamDK
    Stamsorc
    MagDK
    StamMAGStamden
    Magplar
    Stam NB
    Bomb NB
  • MartiniDaniels
    MartiniDaniels
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good or bad this is pointless to discuss, at current state game balance and item sets are build around animation cancelling. And I played some games where animation cancelling is blocked at all. That was very bad experience.
  • eso_nya
    eso_nya
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    one thing i just love eso for is the animations being natural or believable in a not overly flashy way.

otoh, the melee animations could use a lot more spins and jumps while the staff animations, ugh, theres 4? different ones and none of them is really intresting or cool.

for me it looks somewhat off, the magic coming from the jewel on top, so whats the stick for? i'd try to build two thanatos gauntlets with those gems.

another minus point for no real integration into class skills, where the weapon vanishes or goes back to the out of combat position. nbs can conjur blades and bows out of thin air, why'd they bring a "physical" weapon in the first place?

from a cosmetical standpoint, ac makes it far worse to look at. from the fluent execution of rotations standpoint, removing ac would make the game insufferable clunky, but wouldnt make the animations look better.
  • TPishek
    TPishek
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I want all animations removed so I can float around in a T pose.
  • Gilvoth
    Gilvoth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Edited by Gilvoth on February 7, 2019 7:39PM
  • Starlock
    Starlock
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    After playing some games recently with smoother animations, I gotta say that there's definitely room for improvement here. Not sure it is possible with the current design of the game, however, so it is what it is.
  • Flamingfunk
    Flamingfunk
    ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't mind being able to animation cancel when the performance takes a dump or you have high ping. Currently it's a lottery if you cancel the animation or the skill.
  • InvictusApollo
    InvictusApollo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Females running animations while holding a staff are horrible and should be changed.
    As for weaving - there is no fluidity. Character just shifts between different poses.
  • notimetocare
    notimetocare
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Grimlok_S wrote: »
    Animations were never intended and are cheating!@! cancel all animations pls and thx

Except zos happily adopted it. It Is now part of the game and going nowhere
  • Kewpie
    Kewpie
    I want to cancel skill animations just by moving, why not?
  • Toc de Malsvi
    Toc de Malsvi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Could it look better? Yes.
    Could it be implemented? Yes.
    Does more than 50% of the playerbase want it? No.

Light attacks between skills are considered skill, and many players believe it adds depth. Been down this road many times and there is no real winning it at this point.

Maybe players in 2021 will feel differently. That's what happened with Ballista to Snipe rework, went from a more than 80% opposed to changing it to just over 50% for changing it or something like that.

If you do anything opposed to the meta you will be called bad, even when you prove people wrong PVE and beat them in duals/BG's in PVP you will be called cancer. If you oppose what is norm you will be mocked and derided. In the end what they like is good what you like is bad and whatever you do is cheating and unfair.
    Legendary Archer of Valenwood
    Bosmer Dragon Knight Archer. XBox One. (Flawless Conqueror Bow/Bow)
    Bosmer Nightblade Archer. Xbox One. (Flawless Conqueror Bow/Bow)
    Bosmer Sorcerer Archer. Xbox One. (Flawless Conqueror Bow/Bow)
    Bosmer Warden Archer. Xbox One. (Flawless Conqueror Bow/Bow)
    Templar's are evil..
  • bardx86
    bardx86
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't let ZOS touch anything that's working simi-decent.
  • Raammzzaa
    Raammzzaa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It’s a mechanic...
  • Gnortranermara
    Gnortranermara
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    "Should they" and "can they" are two different questions. Yes, they should. But they can't. Not only is the technical challenge beyond their capabilities, but after failing to fix it in the early game, they gave up and rebranded the exploit as a "feature". The game has been balanced around a bug ever since, including set design. And there's a sizable player population that likes exploits and has grown so accustomed to this one, so much so that even if the devs were capable of fixing it the backlash would be too severe.

I really wish they'd just fix the heavy attack bug. And the bar swap bug. And the stuck in combat bug. And the chat channel bugs (on Xbox). And maybe stop making mindbogglingly stupid decisions like giving Altmer off-stat regen.
    Edited by Gnortranermara on February 8, 2019 9:30PM